PDA

View Full Version : Injury timeouts...

Myggen
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
How do these players who fake injuries and take their obligatory injury timeouts after having lost the second set to ruin their opponents momentum get away with it? Anyone with a sane intelligence can see that Chakvetadze is not injured. It is a very physical third set and no way can she run like that while being injured. I guess it is part of the drama, but nonetheless it is unfair. It is cheating and it doesn't belong in tennis so something has to be done.

Slutati
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
yeah i agree those timeouts really are stupid:mad:they just take advantage of it which is annoying.but i don't know if anything can be done about it:shrug:

disco_rage
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The problem is NO-ONE accept the player who takes the time-out can actually know if the player is injured or not.

doujyr
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
and what about radwanska taking a nice little break at 5-6 in the 3rd set today?

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
and what about radwanska taking a nice little break at 5-6 in the 3rd set today?

Well I didn't see the match but this poster did and....

Well...saw the match live and I must say one of the most entertaining match so far this year!!

Great rallies and beautiful shots...Very little number of unforce errors but tons of winners indeed

Quite a quality match considering this is just a tierIV :worship:

Jill won me over today!! Never have thought she could play like this...You guys wouldn't believe me if I'm saying that she reminded me of Chanda Rubin when she was on top:angel: She hit with lots of pace today and went for the line the whole match (Not quite sure about the stat, but I believe she had more winners than Aga) Too bad she went back to the passive mode when she was leading 6-5 3rd set:fiery:

For Aga, I guess I wouldnt call she chocked today, she held her nerve well alas
You must have seen one point where Jill dared to hit a forehand drive winner on one of Aga's MP :worship:
Well, For Aga's blister and injury time-out, the camera zoomed to her foot and I did see it...It was quite bad indeed, so i think the time-out is ok for Aga I believe:angel:

Understand that this would be the last time this tournie will be held I supposed :sad:(Tammy gave the interview to the local newspaper about this), great way to end the memorable tournament though with this great match:hug:

doujyr
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
yeah i read that too. not convinced. you must admit the timing stinks. you're 5-1, lose 5 games in a row then call a timeout just before you have to serve to stay in the match? stink stinks stinks.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
yeah i read that too. not convinced. you must admit the timing stinks. you're 5-1, lose 5 games in a row then call a timeout just before you have to serve to stay in the match? stink stinks stinks.

Well I wasn't there, I suspect tiredness might have been a factor but in fairness it is much better to take an injury timeout before you are serving than before your opponent is serving.

Uranium
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
players due timeouts for support of their injuries so they don't get worse, and some physological advantage, but mostly for injury problems.
Monfils vs.Djokovic-that was bad

Wayn77
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That was such a lengthy time-out at the start of the third. :tape:

Szavay looked bored, the umpire sleepy and the crowd distracted.

Where was the Gaz De Physio room located - in the car park? :p

Wintermute
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
How do these players who fake injuries and take their obligatory injury timeouts after having lost the second set to ruin their opponents momentum get away with it? Anyone with a sane intelligence can see that Chakvetadze is not injured.

From what the commentators said Anna was having treatment to her shoulder, not her legs. And she wasn't really ruining Szavay's momentum by going off after the second set because Agnes also went off for a bathroom break. It's not Anna's fault if the treatment area is miles away from the court.

Added to that I don't see it being a major factor in the match. Both players were doing pretty well in the third set with Agnes carrying on her level of play from the second. The key was that Anna was able to raise her own level.