PDA

View Full Version : Aga Radwanska withdraws from Antwerp

Ellery
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Na Li has become the 9th seed and has taken her place in the draw. :confused: Don't know the reason.

tobi
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Understandable decision.

Though skipping Pattaya to play Antwerp at first place sounds more right to me despite WC for Ula.

gumoll
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
reason: bad schedule :o
Melbourne (AO)
Budapest (Fed Cup)
Pattaya City
Antwerp
Doha
Dubai

it's just too much :o

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM
i like aga, but im happy about this because she was seeded to met anna chakvetadze in the qtrs. i'd rather anna played li na than aga as shes on a bit of a hot streak right now.

LadyLil
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
She's in the final at Pattaya and its a 14 hour flight from there to Brussels.

Peterk07
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Papa Radwanski :armed:

DutchieGirl
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Oh gee, there's a shock - NOT! :lol: The girl has been from Australia to Hungary and then back top Thailand, and is in the final there, then she was going to go play Antwerp? Yeah right! :lol:

danieln1
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Wise decision, because she would lose to Anna in the QF anyway...

DutchieGirl
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
She would have probably lost before the QFs coz she'd be dead tired anyway. ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Fair enough. Although I must say the thought of a Radwanska v Chakvetadze match is very intriguing but I guess that will have to wait. (Szavay v Chakvetadze will be pretty good too for that matter.)

Overall I'd say this is a pretty good decision. A rested Aga will do better in Doha and Dubai. And as others have said there is good chance Aga would have been too tired to perform at a high level at Antwerp anyway, so that Radwanska v Chakvetadze match actually might have been a huge anti-climax anyway, if indeed it happened at all.

Pasta-Na
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:23 AM
aga believes na li will beat "attack" chaky :p

Adrian.
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
rIGHT DESCISON AGA

Wojtek
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Good move

M&M
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM
reason: bad schedule :o
Melbourne (AO)
Budapest (Fed Cup)
Pattaya City
Antwerp
Doha
Dubai

it's just too much :o
you forgot hobart ;) so, would have been 7 weeks in a row...

CooCooCachoo
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Ridiculous scheduling. Players should not be allowed to just pull out because they have the worst scheduling ever. If she's not injured, she should be expected to play.

That is not to say that I don't understand why she is pulling out. But I mean that the WTA should combat this type of tournament planning.

Elwin.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Right choice for her!

DutchieGirl
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ridiculous scheduling. Players should not be allowed to just pull out because they have the worst scheduling ever. If she's not injured, she should be expected to play.

That is not to say that I don't understand why she is pulling out. But I mean that the WTA should combat this type of tournament planning.

She's still in the final of Pattaya today. So even if she won and there was a flight to get her to Europe leaving that evening, she'd only arrive on Monday morning. So even if she played on Tuesday, do you think she'd win anyway? Yes it's stupid scheduling, but the WTA can't make the players schedules for them, and they can't force players not to pull out. They can put regulations etc in place, but players will still do what players do. It's not like Aga's the only one to do it.

papru
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
why so late??

CooCooCachoo
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
She's still in the final of Pattaya today. So even if she won and there was a flight to get her to Europe leaving that evening, she'd only arrive on Monday morning. So even if she played on Tuesday, do you think she'd win anyway? Yes it's stupid scheduling, but the WTA can't make the players schedules for them, and they can't force players not to pull out. They can put regulations etc in place, but players will still do what players do. It's not like Aga's the only one to do it.

I completely agree with what you are saying, but I think the WTA should fine players when they withdraw for reasons such as bad scheduling. To me it seems like Aga waited until she reached the final before she pulled out. At that time, the Antwerp main draw was already out. I call this opportunism that dislodges the Antwerp event.

And the fact that Aga is not the only one to do it, it is exactly the reason why the WTA should be more strict. If she were the only one, I'd not really see that big a problem there.

Lunatiq
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Papa Radwanski :armed:

Right!!!

Lunatiq
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I completely agree with what you are saying, but I think the WTA should fine players when they withdraw for reasons such as bad scheduling. To me it seems like Aga waited until she reached the final before she pulled out. At that time, the Antwerp main draw was already out. I call this opportunism that dislodges the Antwerp event.

And the fact that Aga is not the only one to do it, it is exactly the reason why the WTA should be more strict. If she were the only one, I'd not really see that big a problem there.

Right!!!!

jonny84
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Expected she would.

tenn_ace
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
right decision, but she has herself to blame for the scheduling. also, she should have probably withdrawn earlier - maybe when she reached the semi so that she wouldn't be drawn.

Demska
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
A lot of players pull out of next weeks tournaments if they have a deep run. I see no problem. They've found a replacement.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Clearing judging from today's result Aga was out of gas. I doubt she wouldn't have contributed much in terms of quality tennis had she turned up. Better for an LL to get a crack at getting some ranking points.

DutchieGirl
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM

I see the reason that she waited until she made the final to pull out because she wanted to see how she went in Pattaya before making the decision. Maybe if she lost early in Pattaya she would still have played in Antwerp. I know what she did isn't good, and it's unfair to other players who could have been in MD or quallies if she had pulled out before the draw, but as I said - other players do it too. And I'm not saying it's right, and yes the WTA can impose fines (don't they already anyway?) but I don't think it's gonna change anything.

A'DAM
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Good move

Really?! :rolleyes:

Just to remind you:

Originally Posted by ADAM MAROC:

If Aga will win this tournie she shall withdraw from Antwerp.
It does not make sense to swich from outdoors to indoors just to go outdoors the very next week. And also so much traveling and playing for 4 weeks straight hmmm

Aga please withdraw from Antwerp!!!!!

Wojtek:

What's wrong with you
Why she should withdraw from Antwerp. If she wins she will play on Wed in Belgium

Wojtek
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Really?! :rolleyes:

Just to remind you:

Originally Posted by ADAM MAROC:

If Aga will win this tournie she shall withdraw from Antwerp.
It does not make sense to swich from outdoors to indoors just to go outdoors the very next week. And also so much traveling and playing for 4 weeks straight hmmm

Aga please withdraw from Antwerp!!!!!

Wojtek:

What's wrong with you
Why she should withdraw from Antwerp. If she wins she will play on Wed in Belgium

:lol::lol:
Yes really it's good move. She will have week for rest.
No matter what she will do she rocks :p
BTW Adas long post from you :haha: :haha: so many qoutes :lol:

justine schnyder
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Her schedule was stupid...
She should've played Paris instead Pattay.. But anyway, good move, she needs a week off

gumoll
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
and has to pay 4000$ for this late withdrawing :p