PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Next Generation of Russian Stars?

Leo_DFP
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
In 2004, we saw the rise of Myskina, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and Dementieva to the top of women's tennis with their spectacular Grand Slam performances. Now more than 3 years later, we see Sharapova still going strong with 3 Slams and Kuznetsova last season's year-end #2 while Dementieva has been sliding and Myskina is currently pregnant. Petrova is also past her prime and getting worse by the tournament.

But besides solid top tenner Chakvetadze, we haven't seen any of the next Russian generation step it up and make it to "elite" contender status. So, was that patch of Russian stars and champions just an anomaly? Will Russia continue to produce mediocre players or do we have another group of stars coming up that I don't know about?

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
All-Russian Tennis Association did nothing to produce players of the top level.
"Spartak" and CSKA, the most famous tennis schools in Russia that gave us Kournikova, Safin, Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova, Safina, Zvonareva, Andreev, Youzhny, Tursunov, receive no money from tennis authorities. For example, the courts surface at "Spartak" hasn't changed for 30 years.
Unlike Yeltsyn, Putin is not interested in tennis which means sponsors don't care about the sport too.

I don't think we'll see a Slam-material tennis player from Russia in the near future. Unless there is a very talented kid with rich parents/sponsor we haven't heard about.

Leo_DFP
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Interesting information, thanks for posting that. I can't believe Spartak still can't afford to re-surface their courts, it's really sad.

I have noticed Putin's lack of interest in tennis compared to Yeltsin. And it's a shame for the sport. He didn't care about Davis Cup at all last year when the men almost won.

ys
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Tennis in Russia does not need any political support any more. We'll keep rolling for many more years.. Tell me.. Have you seen a Top 5 player in Chakvetadze 2 years ago?

Tennis Fool
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM
They seem to be the Boliterri (sp?) breed a la Sharapova. I'm thinking Nastya Pav, Maria Mokh, Alisa Kleybanova, Ksenia Pervak specifically. I'm not sure about the following players' histories (I'm sure someone will fill in)...Makarova, Pivovarova, Ksenia Lyskina, Manasieva and Elena Kulikova. Not sure if any will be "Top 10", but they've all really impressed in the last year.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Kournikova broke onto world scene in 1997 with making Wimbledon semis.
Dementieva in 1999 with beating Venus at Fed Cup.
Myskina in 2002 with winning a Tier II and beating several top-tenners.
Safina in 2002 with winning her first title as a 16 years old.
Kuznetsova in 2002 with winning her first two titles as a 17 years old.
Petrova in 2003 with reaching Roland Garros semis and defeating Seles and Capriati.
Zvonareva in 2003 with reaching Roland Garros quarters and defeating Venus.
Sharapova in 2003 with winning her first two titles as a 16 years old.
Kirilenko in 2004 with pushing Serena to the limits at Roland Garros.
Chakvetadze in 2004 with defeating Myskina at USO.

2005 - no one new.
2006 - no one.
2007 - no one.
2008 - it's safe to say no one.

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
There are some youngsters coming up like
Daria Gavrilova (1994)
Tanya Samodelok (1994)

We'll see how it goes.

mirzalover
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I still think Anastasia Pavlychenko or whatever her name is going to have a bright future.

Daniela Fan
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
What a pessimist view of the russian tennis. I think we just have to wait a litle more...There are severall players that might have a chance to reach a higher ranking.

juki
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Kleybanova will have a big year this year, she won't be top 10 but she'll be competing with the best. Pivovarova could also make some waves. I don't think the future of Russian tennis is bleek at all :confused: Look at juniors or any age group and the Russians are still the ones to beat.

ys
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Kournikova broke onto world scene in 1997 with making Wimbledon semis.
Dementieva in 1999 with beating Venus at Fed Cup.
Myskina in 2002 with winning a Tier II and beating several top-tenners.
Safina in 2002 with winning her first title as a 16 years old.
Kuznetsova in 2002 with winning her first two titles as a 17 years old.
Petrova in 2003 with reaching Roland Garros semis and defeating Seles and Capriati.
Zvonareva in 2003 with reaching Roland Garros quarters and defeating Venus.
Sharapova in 2003 with winning her first two titles as a 16 years old.
Kirilenko in 2004 with pushing Serena to the limits at Roland Garros.
Chakvetadze in 2004 with defeating Myskina at USO.

2005 - no one new.
2006 - no one.
2007 - no one.
2008 - it's safe to say no one.

We have Shvedova who already won title, Vesnina who was instrumental in winning Fed Cup, Bychkova who beaten Kuznetsova at USA, Kudryavtseva, pushing eventual champion Wimbledon Venus to the limits. Plus Kleybanova, Pervak, Manasieva, Samodelok, Gavrilova, Pavlyuchenkova.. Any other country got a comparable set of youngster? I think you are trying to make something out of nothnig.

morningglory
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
You could probably say the same for the US and Belgium and Serbia as well... patience... give them time to grow up

mankind
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'm sure DICK Bollitierri will work his magic again sometime soon, unfortunately. Putin doesn't give a shit about tennis. :shrug:

Cp6uja
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Actualy i dont see any big problem here, especialy no reasons for panic. I see many 1988-1992 new Russians like TOP100, even TOP30 in future (for example 3P - Pavlyuchenkova, Pervak, Pivovarova)... so why we MUST to have some 88-92 TOP10 players from Russia? Players from 1985-87 Russian "Golden generation" (Maria, Sveta, Anna...) will be active in next 5-10 years so Russians have enough time to produce some future TOP5 or GS champion player for example born between 1993-96 and be "happy" another 5-10 years... If you want to see real disaster - look what happen with USA womans tennis and US girls borned after 1981 (ten years without real prospect) or what happen in last 30 years with Australians.

All-Russian Tennis Association did nothing to produce players of the top level.
"Spartak" and CSKA, the most famous tennis schools in Russia that gave us Kournikova, Safin, Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova, Safina, Zvonareva, Andreev, Youzhny, Tursunov, receive no money from tennis authorities. For example, the courts surface at "Spartak" hasn't changed for 30 years.
Unlike Yeltsyn, Putin is not interested in tennis which means sponsors don't care about the sport too.

I don't think we'll see a Slam-material tennis player from Russia in the near future. Unless there is a very talented kid with rich parents/sponsor we haven't heard about.If Russia have new talent like Sharapova or Kuznetsova, Putin will not stoped her to win slam with 17 or 19... If we look againat 1988+ girls, Russia dont have any teenager right now in TOP50, and litle Belorusia have 2. It's not b/c Lukasenko more like tennis than Putin, or Dinamo Minsk now have better tennis schools than Spartak or CSKA - simple, Belorussians have Azarenka and Govortsova and Russians dont have.

Serbia is best example. In general, we are talented for tennis - but facilities and conditions for young talents is always bad here. That is reason why we produce in last 30 years only 6 TOP100 players. But on other hand 4 of this our TOP100 players reach TOP5!!! - so if you talented like Seles, Dokic, Jankovic or Ivanovic... you will find your way to world elite even if you from Serbia. Talented Russian girls have big problems in Soviet era because tennis is not so popular sport (actualy tennis is sport with worst status in communist block - Czechoslovakia with her school is only exception), but today if some russian girl is realy good for tennis - nobody will stop her (including Putin). Players like Sharapova will born once in 5 years in whole world - so why next player like she must be from Russia again???

goldenslam888
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:08 AM
aren't anna and maria the next generation? there only 20.

regardless, that region of the world, eastern europe, is still cranking the players out.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:10 AM
We have Shvedova who already won title, Vesnina who was instrumental in winning Fed Cup, Bychkova who beaten Kuznetsova at USA, Kudryavtseva, pushing eventual champion Wimbledon Venus to the limits. Plus Kleybanova, Pervak, Manasieva, Samodelok, Gavrilova, Pavlyuchenkova.. Any other country got a comparable set of youngster? I think you are trying to make something out of nothnig.

We are talking about the very top of the game.
Vesnina, Bychkova, Kudrayvtseva will never be anywhere near Top-10, that's pretty obvious.
Pavlyuchenkova and Kleybanova are too fat to take them seriously.
Manasieva? Are you kidding? She will be 19 soon and has achieved nothing.
And until Samodelok and Gavrilova get started on WTA Tour we can say nothing about their future.

There is a great possibility Myskina, Sharapova and Kuznetsova will remain the only Russian GS winners for the next 10 years (at least 10 years).

Experimentee
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
We are talking about the very top of the game.
Vesnina, Bychkova, Kudrayvtseva will never be anywhere near Top-10, that's pretty obvious.
Pavlyuchenkova and Kleybanova are too fat to take them seriously.
Manasieva? Are you kidding? She will be 19 soon and has achieved nothing.
And until Samodelok and Gavrilova get started on WTA Tour we can say nothing about their future.

There is a great possibility Myskina, Sharapova and Kuznetsova will remain the only Russian GS winners for the next 10 years (at least 10 years).

I agree. I see plenty of young Russians who can be top 30 or top 50 players, but none who will win Slams.

Russia was fortunate a few years ago to have so many top players come up at once, like Belgium with Kim and Justine, but something like that cant be repeated every year.

mckyle.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I still think Anastasia Pavlychenko or whatever her name is going to have a bright future.

LOL.

No way. She's a juniors scrub that will disappear within a few years.

mirzalover
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
LOL.

No way. She's a juniors scrub that will disappear within a few years.

Ok thats what you thin, It not what I think,

Cakeisgood
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Dasha Sharapova! :)

bellascarlett
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM
In 2004, we saw the rise of Myskina, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and Dementieva to the top of women's tennis with their spectacular Grand Slam performances. Now more than 3 years later, we see Sharapova still going strong with 3 Slams and Kuznetsova last season's year-end #2 while Dementieva has been sliding and Myskina is currently pregnant. Petrova is also past her prime and getting worse by the tournament.

My problem here is that this doesn't highlight the fact that Myskina and Dementieva are 6 and 5 1/2 years older than Sharapova, respectively. Those are quite big differences. I don't think Sharapova should be lumped with the others as she is special. She was a teen phenom. Not everyone can win their first slam at 17 facing probably the strongest or the most high profile player of the generation prior to hers. Maria reached the very top very early and stays there to this day and will hopefully climb even higher for many more years to come. In other words, Russia now has Sharapova. Chakvetadze, whom I think I didn't expect big things from a few years ago, is part of what Russia has to offer now. I guess my thing is...wait until these young players reach the ages of 19 or 20. Then we'll be able to see more or less where they're headed.

bellascarlett
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Dasha Sharapova! :)

Yeah I wonder how things will turn out for Dasha Sharapova. :lol: She's probably just around 11 now right? But the pressure will be on for that little girl.

But oh wait...didn't Dasha become an American citizen? :tape:

Sharakim
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
But oh wait...didn't Dasha become an American citizen? :tape:
If she did that would be hilarious. Imagine if the two Sharapova cousins played on opposite Fed Cup teams? ;)

Lucyxx
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Tell me.. Have you seen a Top 5 player in Chakvetadze 2 years ago?
Good point. I do believe.

Ross-i-ya.

dybbuk
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Ok thats what you thin, It not what I think,

She is struggling to win in juniors nowadays, let alone some of the challengers she plays. There are quite a few more promising players than her. Her development has seriously stalled.

Agree completely with some of the posters here. Russia has a huge amount of mediocrity and "good" but almost no "great" players.

goldenlox
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
A player doesn't become a champion because her dad takes her to a tennis academy or a famous coach.
That kid has to really want it, and for years and years.

They are plenty of kids from Russian and eastern Europe playing tennis. So we'll see if any new champions develop.

Kutuzova
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
once poutchkova and kleybanova put it together..they are going to have big careers..WAY too much talent to not be anything special

pavlyuchenkova also has imense talent..she just needs to work on her serve and her fitness...it will come though

i also really like gavrilova (who just won las petits 14U) and yulia puntintseva..both are very young but have VERY bright futures ahead of them!

Cp6uja
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Tell me.. Have you seen a Top 5 player in Chakvetadze 2 years ago?In september of 2004 Chaky have only 17 years and 6 months when reach TOP100 and have her first TOP10 win at slams. 12 months after that she already reach TOP25... all that is of course is not enough to predict TOP5 future for her, but on other hand if we look now best Russian teenagers we dont see anything similar to compare even with 17yo Anna results...

Currently best ranked player from Russia which is born in 1991 is WTA#291, best ranked 1990 RUS girl is WTA#188, best ranked 1989 born player from Russia is right now WTA#107 and best ranked 1988 Russian is WTA#81.

But like i already say - Russian tennis girls borned after 1987 is not BAD... real truth is that 1985-1987 girls (Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze) is fantastic for one single country.

jamatthews
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Stop being greedy.

That is all I have to add to this conversation.

theFutureisNow
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Agree completely with some of the posters here. Russia has a huge amount of mediocrity and "good" but almost no "great" players.

And who does have a lot of "great" young players? There is only one great young player, and she is Russian.

Russia has by far the best looking future in women's tennis if you break it down by country.

They have all 4 slam wins by a player under 25. They have by far the best young player and 3 of the clear top 5. They have the most depth, with Safina, Kirilenko, Makarova, and Poutchkova still having a chance to be good. Also, I think Pervak is the #1 ranked 16 year old.

Since these players have a chance to be good for years to come, I dont think a couple year gap matters all that much.

tenn_ace
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
it's kind of funny that there is a worry about Russia. Shouldn't US, German, Spanish, Australian, British tennis be MUCH more worried about the next generation?

And in my opinion, we are not going any more to see any country's domination in the future. The reason being is that these days could travel to other countries (US, Spain, Australia) to train and take opportunities of great facilities, knoweledge and weather.

JonBcn
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
^ You're not wrong; there are tons of Russians aged 12-16 with huge potential. Whether they translate that to professional success of course remains to be seen, but there are plenty of other major countries with a lot more to worry about.

Pushkin
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:05 PM
3 FED CUPS in 4 years still going strong this year Kuznetsova Open Finalist Sharapova Year End Finalist Dementieva winning Moscow Sharapova winning Aussie Chakvetadze winning Paris !!! And sure beeing born in 85-87-87 should be considered old !!! Anna and Maria are 20 TWENTY not 30 they are in this next generation!!! All the other countries would want to be in such a "bad" situation AAHHAAHAHAHAH

Tennis Fool
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
it's kind of funny that there is a worry about Russia. Shouldn't US, German, Spanish, Australian, British tennis be MUCH more worried about the next generation?

And in my opinion, we are not going any more to see any country's domination in the future. The reason being is that these days could travel to other countries (US, Spain, Australia) to train and take opportunities of great facilities, knoweledge and weather.
I wouldn't put the Germans in that list at this point. The others...yes :o