PDA

View Full Version : A. Radwanska is an early front runner for 2008 Petrova-Jankovic Award!

tenn_ace
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
The race is shaping. Of the top 50 players, Aga is a front runner with Anna C. is the second one.

Aga's travel so far has been Hobart-Melbourne (played into the second week)-Budapest (FedCup)-Pattaya-Antwerp (in the draw)-Doha (on the committment list). That's 7 weeks in a row. So far she has played 14 matches.

Anna's travel so far has been Sydney-Melbourne (1st week)-Tel-Aviv (FedCup)-Paris-Antwerp (in the draw)-Doha (on the committment list). That's 7 weeks with a week break. So far she has played 7 matches.

Has anyone of the top 50 players been missed?

A Magicman
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Where's Jelena anyway?

Only 2 torunaments played so far and it's already mid-February. :lol:

mckyle.
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
She's young and in form. Might as well make it last long. She can recover.

tenn_ace
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Where's Jelena anyway?

I think she is "enjoying" her award being injured... Just like Nadia since she got injured after playing her crazy schedule almost 2 years ago. Never recovered her form fully.

jamatthews
Feb 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Where's Jelena anyway?

She also played Hopman Cup, Fed Cup and was in the 2nd week of AO. :tape: Pretty much the 1st 5 weeks of the year.

empressionist
Feb 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I guess jelena learned her lesson... the way her year started with all those injuries. she is having a rest until doha and dubai. that's almost two weeks, which is very much for her :)

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
dont forget anna played in hong kong the week before sydney as well, not wta but she was still playing matches.

Poova
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know why Aga is playing these lower tier tournaments anyway. She's knocking on the door of the top 20 and she can beat the girls there easily. She should cut them out of her schedule but whatever. :o

papru
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
in this case i doubt Aga will play Doha :)

oh no!! wait!! she has to!! because Ula will play there in qualies :tape:

Cp6uja
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
This is still not same case like JJ or Petrova. 2-3 intesive (and wrong) shedule is still not enough and also in Aga case this shedule is not her fault b/c her coach/pather still make all shedule deccissions for theys dauthers (including plder Aga).

Slumpsova
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Jankovic is paying the debt :haha:

Slumpsova
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
but i hope she can comeback soon though. i love to see her hang around. get well soon J :hug:

Seyz
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Jelena will soon catch up. Remember, she uses tournaments as her "practice/training".

Chaky is the most opportunistic tournament player ever. She always seems to be entered into a tournament with no real competition or has a cakewalk draw. Remember last year during the US Open series... absolutely no competition at all. I give props to who organizes her schedule.

Destiny
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
JJ will come back a regain her title
there is still plenty of tournaments left
maybe ?????????

jamatthews
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Remember last year during the US Open series... absolutely no competition at all. I give props to who organizes her schedule.

Was that the US Open series where she beat the Wimbledon champion?

kolan
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
JJ will come back a regain her title
there is still plenty of tournaments left
maybe ?????????

JJ may have to play two tourneys in the same week i think :lol: I think i read somewhere that she is being more selective in her tournaments this year and well done to her for that :) She played too much last year, she was too tired at the end :sad:

tenn_ace
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM

:haha: :worship:

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM

yes it is and from match point down no less. oh and she also beat dani h who is now an oz open semi finalist. so yeah she beat nobodies obviously! :p;)

AcesHigh
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
yes it is and from match point down no less. oh and she also beat dani h who is now an oz open semi finalist. so yeah she beat nobodies obviously! :p;)

What is her record vs. the top 10?

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM

i dont know but i think she scored her 13th top 10 win today. ;)

Jakub
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
good try but ... Aga is out of Antwerp :rolls:

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM

who replaced her as she was anna chakvetadzes projected qtr final oposition?

tenn_ace
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM

smart decision although I'm surprised there is no bashing like we always do towards a player who withdraws from 2 days before a tournament starts ans w/o reasons

I guess, Anna moves up closer and will overtake Aga if she plays both Antwerp and Doha

sakya23
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Li Na took #9 seed and could play chakky in the quarterfinals. A Qualifier will replace Li Na's orignal spot.

Wow Henin's draw got so much more easier. I hope Szavay takes her out in the quarters.

Peterk07
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow Henin's draw got so much more easier. I hope Szavay takes her out in the quarters.

I hope Szavay will withdraw from Antwerp. :) She's got Doha and Dubai in her schedule, i think it'd be too much.

It's better to withdraw than get there and loose early - which eventually would happen to her... She played 9 matches (including tomorrow's final) in the last 2 weeks (plus 4 doubles). It's enough, she needs to rest.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I don't believe a young emerging players record vs top 10 players is always a useful statistic. A player new to the top 10 who has spent a couple of years lower in the ranking as they begin their career will almost always without fail have a worse record against top 10 opponents than a player who has been established in the top 10 for several years. However while the established player may be in decline the young player is likely to continue to improve.

So while the established player might have a substantially better past and that will obviously be reflected in terms of titles, records against top 10 opponents, weeks in the top 10 etc, the young emerging player is still likely to be the one with the better future.

Let's see what Chakvetadze's record is against the top 10 in three or four years time. I expect it to be substantially better than it is now. And anyway 13 top 10 wins (for yes this was indeed her 13th top 10 victory) at 20 years old isn't shabby at all. It suggests Chakvetadze has a pretty good career ahead of her. Not the kind of multiple Grand Slam career the Williams Sisters, or Henin, or Hingis had, but a nice career nevertheless. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility Anna could win one or even a couple Slam trophies before her career is done in 7 to 12 years.

sammy01
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I don't believe a young emerging players record vs top 10 players is always a useful statistic. A player new to the top 10 who has spent a couple of years lower in the ranking as they begin their career will almost always without fail have a worse record against top 10 opponents than a player who has been established in the top 10 for several years. However while the established player may be in decline the young player is likely to continue to improve.

So while the established player might have a substantially better past and that will obviously be reflected in terms of titles, records against top 10 opponents, weeks in the top 10 etc, the young emerging player is still likely to be the one with the better future.

Let's see what Chakvetadze's record is against the top 10 in three or four years time. I expect it to be substantially better than it is now. And anyway 13 top 10 wins (for yes this was indeed her 13th top 10 victory) at 20 years old isn't shabby at all. It suggests Chakvetadze has a pretty good career ahead of her. Not the kind of multiple Grand Slam career the Williams Sisters, or Henin, or Hingis had, but a nice career nevertheless. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility Anna could win one or even a couple Slam trophies before her career is done in 7 to 12 years.

i cant good rep you again but, i agree 100%! you have a brain and use it when posting and it shows. :worship:

Matt01
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility Anna could win one or even a couple Slam trophies before her career is done in 7 to 12 years.

As much as it pains me to say...I cannot rule out that possibility, either :lol:

kolan
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
smart decision although I'm surprised there is no bashing like we always do towards a player who withdraws from 2 days before a tournament starts ans w/o reasons

I guess, Anna moves up closer and will overtake Aga if she plays both Antwerp and Doha

:rolleyes: maybe because aga actually does have a reason - shes playing tennis in a country the other side of the world and has played a lot of tennis so far this year

sakya23
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I hope Szavay will withdraw from Antwerp. :) She's got Doha and Dubai in her schedule, i think it'd be too much.

It's better to withdraw than get there and loose early - which eventually would happen to her... She played 9 matches (including tomorrow's final) in the last 2 weeks (plus 4 doubles). It's enough, she needs to rest.

Oh thats right, I forgot that she had to play Fed Cup. If that's the case, I hope she gets a break to be ready for the Tier 1 Doha. :)

powerbackhand
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
shes out of antwerp

powerbackhand
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
agnes has done amazingly well against top tenners considering her experience at that high level of tennis
Not even choking

tenn_ace
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
:rolleyes: maybe because aga actually does have a reason - shes playing tennis in a country the other side of the world and has played a lot of tennis so far this year

1. She wouldn't start until at least Tue
2. If this is not enough time for her to recover after a long flight, WHAT was she thinking about committing to both tournaments and NOT withdrawing before the draw has been done.

Paneru
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
shes out of antwerp

Very smart move!

Especially after that Final.