PDA

View Full Version : What was the best victory for Lindsay Davenport?

danieln1
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I know there are plenty to choose, but what was the most emotional/high quality match that Lindsay won?

Uranium
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Davenport def. Sharapova 6-0 6-0 Indian Wells 05 SF:hearts:
and her slam final wins:aparty:

Lindsayfan32
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I loved both the 04 wins over the Williams sisters. I can't stand the Williams sisters and Lindsay hadn't beat either of them in years and then all of a sudden she beats both of them two week running. The win against Serena in LA was Lindsay line painting at it's best. One unforced error in the first set.

Michael!
Feb 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
IMO the best victory was the one against Steffi....:worship:
Itīs always sth. special for a player to win in Wimbledon!
It was just a great tournament for her ;)

Dave.
Feb 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I would say Indian Wells 05 but Lindsay has beaten higher quality opponents for her best victory.

I voted for the match against Venus in Stanford 04 because that really revived her career and allowed her to get to the top again. Also her win against Graf at Wimbledon was pretty special.

The Daviator
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I voted for almost all of them :lol: You cannot seperate the OG/GS wins, and then there's the double bagel :hearts: and the two wins over the Williams sisters in '04 were very special, the Venus match in particular, that one gave her so much confidence, it was the beginning of her great Jul '04 - Nov '05 form :worship:

LindsayRulz
Feb 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It's not in the list but the match against Clijsters at Wimbledon 2005 was just :drool:
The double bagel :drool:
Summer 04 :drool:

I hope Lindsay still have one big victory against a top player in her :angel:

hurricanejeanne
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm going with winning the Olympics in 1996. It was the first big title in Lindsay's career and it was over a player she had a bad record against.

But aside from her slam wins, I would also pick the win over Venus at Stanford in 2004. That just gave her so much confidence again.

danieln1
Feb 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
It's not in the list but the match against Clijsters at Wimbledon 2005 was just :drool:
The double bagel :drool:
Summer 04 :drool:

I hope Lindsay still have one big victory against a top player in her :angel:

I didnīt put the Clijsters Wimbledon 05 match because there werenīt enough options, but in my opinion Lindsay played her best tennis in that match, her forehand was out of this world, she should have closed that match in straight sets, but we all know Lindsay and her mid-match lapses!

Lindsayfan32
Feb 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'm going with winning the Olympics in 1996. It was the first big title in Lindsay's career and it was over a player she had a bad record against.

But aside from her slam wins, I would also pick the win over Venus at Stanford in 2004. That just gave her so much confidence again.

I totally agree with you hurricanejeanne the 96 Olympics was the title that kick started Lindsay's career as her first big title. As for the quality it was a lot of hit and miss due to nerves from both players. I have this match and all the matches listed on dvd and I have to agree with the 05 Wimbledon 4th round against Kim being one of the best quality matches Lindsay has played. Lindsay played great tennis the whole tournament and was unlucky not win the title that year.

Elldee
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Anyone who's seen the stanford '04 match will agree that the scoreline was dramatic but the tennis was dull. Short points, errors, passivity from Lindsay D. It kicked started Lindsay's indian summer and she played so much better at the US Open when she dictated play, believed and went for her shots; an amazing match.

Vs Clijsters and Mauresmo at Wimbledon are my favourites. Looking forward to SW19 this year too. The double bagel was far more about Sharapova's poor play and the slam wins, whilst not during my fanship, are so incomparable to more recent stuff in terms of quality.

Elldee
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Of the poll options I clicked the Molik match. A slam final after so many years was really important for Lindsay.

dav abu
Feb 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
ooh a tough choice..the match that I went most mental after was the victory over Venus US Open 04, the Molik match at Oz was her greatest fight but I voted for Wimbledon 99 cause it is Wimbledon and she beat Graf as well-what a way to take the title and she did it so convincingly.