PDA

View Full Version : German players and their careers...

Vamos Feńa
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:38 PM
After Muller lost today I found out that it's another situation that a German player has a pretty weird career...
1)I've seen Muller a cpl of times on TV and her shots were really good and flat. Once Martina played against Kim (US Open 2005?) She lost stomething like 6:2 6:1 but she really gave Clijsters a tough time, as Kim was running like crazy from left to right. Still it was Kim's great defence and experience that handled her the win. Some time later we see Muller losing in challengers and dropping in rankings.

2)Roesch... stunned Dementieva 3times and enjoyed a quite good season. Then she dropped and played only in 25K's not having an excellent run out there. Yeah she tanks matches surely, but I'm sure she can do much better.

3)Marlene Weingartner, fantastic junior results, 4r in Melbourne 2002 lost to Mauresmo in 3, after that she just won 5 matches and lost 20 times (inl. double bagel to Harkleroad and bagel and breadstick to Rodionova);2003: some top 20 wins (including epic match vs Capriati)overall: not bad (apart from double bagel to Petrova) 2004-> def. Daniilidou for the 3rd time in career, embarassed Petrova in RG (Nadia kinda was brainless again) reached final in Bali (lost to Sveta). 2005-> activity 3/13 retired in the end...

I wouldn't put ALG in here, but it's just that this german 'collapse' thing is weird...

:shrug:

Slumpsova
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
they aren't consistent players, that's why. i'm not sure Lisicki breaks the rules but she seems impressive.

Jakeev
Feb 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Martina's problem is pretty much is the fact she is a smaller player. But she is one of the fittest of the German players. Seems like her mental toughness though has faded a bit since 2006.

The problem I think I see is perhaps a lack of desire to train and possibly many face the pressure to be the next you-know-who.

Sabine Lisicki's performance I think in Australia and Fed Cup was pretty inspiring and Anna-Lena Groenfeld is probably still the best of the bunch if she gets her act together.

I think someone will come along though before we know it and put Germany back on the tennis map.

Pasta-Na
Feb 9th, 2008, 01:38 AM
ALG looks a bit :tape: atm.

danieln1
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I tend to like German players, I remember Anca Barna gave a really tough time to Serena in the US Open 2001! Anna-Lena was a really good player to watch when she was playing well, she should have been ranked higher if it wasn´t for all her off court/weight issues...
Weingartner had the most stunning victory in that AO 1st round in 2003, but those German olympic rules devastated her, it was a shame

Uranium
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:48 AM
her off court ordeals caused her weight issues.
i loved ALG, she was great in doubles and singles, but now she's struggling to win in 25ks :sad:

njnetswill
Feb 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I am rooting for Goerges and Lisicki. :yeah:

The older generation of German players: :help:

floriano
Feb 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I think both Weingartner and Barna were treated very badly by the German Tennis Federation, both would have qualified for the Olympics under the standard rules. I remember the other players were considering a boycott at the time and the WTA was on the side of them.

Weingartner was quite unusual. In some tournaments, show could get on very impressive runs, and give any top layer a challenge. The prefect example is that AO 2003 1st round against Capriati. She was facing a big ranking drop if she lost match, and it looked fairly ominous when she went down 2-6 4-5 and then, out of nowhere, she hit winner after winner, and outmuscled Capriati 2-6 7-6 6-4. Yet, she was also known to lose some matches in a very one-sided fashion.
I think she has lost matches 6-0 6-0 to Harkleroad, Smashnova, Petrova - yet she then defeated all 3 of these players in their next matches.
I saw her play Pierce in Toronto in 2004 around the time that she realised the German Federation would not move from its position on the Olympics. She pretty much looked like she was 1000 miles way, as Pierce just hit winner after winner, and Marlene really looked as if she didn't care. When she on though, she really played like a top-15 player.

Junex
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I was thinking along the line that it was a pressure for them to perform consistently knowing that everytime they produced great result they get to be tagged the next Steffi.....

Its actually a curse when you come from a country who produced one of the GOATs....

Elwin.
Feb 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Once i saw Martina playing against Krajicek on tv. Altough Krajicek won this match easily. Martina had her chances.
The girl has weapons :shrug: and in my opinion is a top 60 player. So it's sad that she is losing in challengers!

come on Martina!

Highlandman
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Roesch has a good game and is very talented. She can all shots & if her 1st service comes, it is also a good shot.

Her attitude was the big reason why she didn't have a better career. In the years 2001,2002 she improved a lot , beat Dementieva 3x and was #69 in 2003 - but then troubles with coach, federation etc. etc. - big fall :sad:

In 2007 she had good first half and beat few good players again, then against problems with nerves etc.

She has the game to come back to Top-100 easily, but at first she has to change her attitude.

I also remember when Anke Huber said in 2002 that she thinks she can go to Top-30 and maybe better if she wants - but she didn't :sad:

But in many matches it's like "I don't give a damn about this all" etc. etc. - difficult to explain in English, the Germans know what I mean :lol:

Few examples for her motivation:

Before US Open 2007 "I've had it! I'm not motivated"
Before Stuttgart 2007 "Gosh! I can't take it anymore"

or "I was not motivated, because of the bad schedule"
or "The umpire had no clue, my concentration went away because of him"
or "I cannot play without ballkids"
or "I was on a good way, but after the double fault I was totally out of shape and became mad"

and then she really IS NOT MOTIVATED! ;):sad:

And in most of the challengers she is not motivated too, cos of the physiotherapists (The most she said have no clue), the courts etc. ;) she is often like "I want to go away from here ASAP" ;)