PDA

View Full Version : My Fed Cup report (finally completed, with pics)

Zamboni
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
As a sort of early graduation present for myself (and because Salvatore told me Napoli is close to Pompei:p) I went to Napoli for the Fed Cup, Italy vs Spain.
My report will be very long, I'll do it in parts. If you're interested in the report about other things than tennis, check my blog. I'll write chronological, so be patient. I'll also put some pictures here, I have a LOT of pictures, the rest of the (semi) decent ones will be in the player forums later.

Friday

On Friday we went to the draw ceremony. I was really looking forward to that, because I like stupid ceremonies like that (I know I’m weird) and because they told me we’d get the chance to talk to players ;) Also met the famous French girls there: Valerie, Amina and Sophie. Valerie really knows everyone! So we got introduced to all these people too, but as I don’t speak Italian (or French, much), that wasn’t much use to me. When the players entered just about my first thought about Flavia was: omg she really has no hair!:lol: Seriously, dunno if she cuts it like that or not, but it’s really thin! The ceremony itself was pretty boring of course, some people talking, I hardly understood a word, so just watched the players instead;) They weren’t really paying attention either it seemed, at the start Flavia, Anabel and Lourdes were talking across the room, Anabel&Lourdes were taking some pics, the Italian players were all trying hard not to look bored, whispering with each other etc. Oh, not Sara though, she seemed to take it kind of serious. Maybe she felt like she had to. So, after the talks the teams were announced, and the draw was made. The stupid people at the drawboard made a mistake though, they had put Anabel’s name up for the first match (while the first match was Schiavone-Llagostera), and they couldn’t get it off:haha: So in the end, they put Nuria’s name over it, and the 3rd match was Pennetta vs nobody on the drawboard:lol: Then the pictures were taken and everyone left.
That was the moment for Salvatore and me to go to Flavia. We were trying to be nice and wait till she finished conversation, but I’m not sure if that worked completely :o Anyway, we introduced ourselves and told her we had something for her, gave her the messages I had collected for her. She was really nice, said she liked it a lot :) I also gave her something I brought for the team, typical Dutch, she liked that a lot too. Even more than the messages it seemed, she thanked me like 3 times for it (with the most brilliant smile ever:inlove: ). Something funny was that we gave her the messages etc, told her what it was and she said “do you want to take a picture?” :lol: Of course we weren’t gonna say no! So we dragged Valerie out of her conversation with Tax Garbin (impatient us! We didn’t want to lose the moment;)), and she took the picture (actually, so did Tax....). Also, I was talking to her in English obviously, and Salvatore in Italian, but it seems we were both telling her the same things at the same time...omg :o:lol:
Then we hang around a little, and I saw Flavia gave the messages to someone, who was reading them. So after gathering a bit of courage, I went to that woman and asked her if she liked them. She said she really did, it was really nice of us :) And then I realised she looked very much like Flavia. We thought she must be her mother, Salvatore asked her and she was indeed. Honestly, they look SO much alike! Now I know what Flavia will look like in 20 years...We talked to her mother a bit, she’s really nice. But Salvatore will have to say what he told her (I believe he said that I came from the Netherlands just to see Flavia...it’s not even true, don’t like that :o), cause, again, I don’t speak Italian.
After that we just enjoyed the buffet a little, then the players went for the press conference, which we didn’t realise (we wanted to go there, but missed it obviously), and after that we left.

Pics are coming ;)

Zamboni
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010038.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010040.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010043.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010050.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010052.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010056.jpg

(I told you they were all paying much attention :p)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010061.jpg
(my fave pic of the ceremony :) The pictures aren't doing any of the Italian players justice though. They are all much prettier in real)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010064.jpg
Flavia's mother reading our messages:rocker2:

FORZA SARITA
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Flavia,Sara and Tax :hearts:
especially Flavia is sooooo better than how she looks in tv :hearts:

Juarito
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Oh Flavia looks gorgeous! :hearts: Love her! :kiss:

Demska
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Flav is so sexy. :lick: :hearts: :drool:

Effy
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
thanks for a great report once again, Linda :kiss:

and great pics :hearts: Flavietta :D

gumoll
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Flavia :inlove:

great report Linda :yeah:

Alicia Rocks
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Nice report Linda :D

Flavia :inlove:

Milito22
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Flavia is 100 % sex appeal

Nicolás89
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Linda, you know you went to Napoli just to see Flavia. ;)
Nice report. :yeah:

Bette_Midler
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
nice report and photos

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Zamboni
Feb 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Linda, you know you went to Napoli just to see Flavia. ;)
Nice report. :yeah:
I honestly didn't :ras::angel:

Funny how everyone's drooling over Flavia in these pics and all I am thinking is she looked 10x better in real:lol:

C.MARTINEZ
Feb 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The pictures aren't doing any of the Italian players justice though. They are all much prettier in real)

Schiavone pretty??? :p

great report ;)

FORZA SARITA
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM

great report ;)

she looks also better than on the pics;)
not the same for Lourdes:lol::tape:

CooCooCachoo
Feb 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Linda :rolls: Glad you had fun ;)

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Your so lucky - im glad you had a great time :worship: :hug:

Zamboni
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM

great report ;)
prettier :p

Fran, stop making fun of Lourdes already:ras: I like her anyway :p (and as long as she's not playing, she looks definitely not worse than Francesca)

Martijn, stop laughing at me :p

FORZA SARITA
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM
prettier :p

Fran, stop making fun of Lourdes already:ras: I like her anyway :p (and as long as she's not playing, she looks definitely not worse than Francesca)

Martijn, stop laughing at me :p

:speakles:

Zamboni
Feb 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Saturday

After going sightseeing a bit in the morning we went to the stadium early, see if we could enter already. First step was to get our tickets. We got sent from the first counter to a 2nd, a 3rd and back to the 1st :rolleyes: where in the end they finally found our tickets. Apparantly they weren’t in the place where they were supposed to be, so that’s why they couldn’t find them at first. We got a bit stressed when they couldn’t find them though, what if something went wrong? But then we had them, and an hour before the matches we could enter the stadium. We got a seed, and watched Flavia and Tax hit for a bit. At the side of the stadium, Anabel and Lourdes were frisbeeing. Can anyone tell me why that helps you as a tennis player? Maybe coordination? It was pretty fun to watch anyway. Then Flavia and Tax left, and Anabel and Lourdes started hitting. Even then, before the matches, I thought Anabel and Lourdes were hitting better than Flavia and Tax, though you can’t always tell from practices.
After a while, I noticed we were sitting in the space that was reserved for “Team Spain” so we left and sat down just outside the space for “Team Italy” instead ;) However, we were told we could sit inside that space, so we managed to end up right between Flavia’s family and friends:lol: No idea where the other girls’ ‘camps’ were, probably a bit further up in the stadium, but Flavia’s family and friends were, erm, crazy. Especially during her match of course, I thought they could have cheered a little more for Fran as well....Anyway, they’d brought a bunch of little flags, and tshirts, which they gave to us as well, so we fitted in ;) We were definitely the noisiest group in the stadium! Amina had a drum, which I really liked, cause it brings a lot of sphere in the stands. There was another group that was cheering pretty loudly, right in front of us (with a banner: “Marry me, Flavia” :lol: ) but we must have been quite present because even during the matches, we were getting messages that we were on tv a lot, and that the Italian commentators were talking about the French girls, etc...Also, when Salvo and me returned to the B&B, Rafaelle told us that he had turned on the tv and the first thing he saw was a shot of us...just us 2 :o

So, the matches

Schiavone – Llagostera Vives
I still cannot believe Francesca lost this match, we were all so confident about it! At first I thought she was just nervous, and she’d be fine, but I was wrong. She did seem quite nervous in the first set, but she never got into the match. Nuria didn’t do anything special imo, she was just being a living wall. That’s not meant to sound like I’m putting her down though, because it was a great strategy. She was bringing every ball back into play and waiting for Schiavone to make the mistake, which she usually did. She was at least fighting then, and I guess if she had won the tiebreak of the first set, things would have been different. However, Nuria won it, which you cannot call undeserved. Then in the 2nd set Francesca kind of turned it around, she kept fighting, kept making a lot of mistakes, but she managed to get the break on her side, and kept her head cool when she was serving for the set (which was amazing enough). Then, very typical, in the 3rd set, Nuria broke Fran early (momentum? What momentum?). And at 2-1 the match got interrupted. Twice before a bit of rain had leaked through the roof, but now it seemed a lot more serious than before. At first it seemed play could be resumed within a few moments, but it kept raining inside (not so much, I think, but still), so the players left and we ended up waiting for almost an hour. I didn’t see them working on the roof, so I think the rain just stopped, but I am not sure.
The rain delay (that sounds so funny considering we were indoors :p) ruined every sort of rhythm Francesca had though, she lost the next 3 games, fought hard to win the next one, but then lost the next game again: 6-7, 6-3, 2-6 :( I don’t want to say she would have won if the roof had been ok, but I doubt the 3rd set would have been over this quickly. So we were all very disappointed....I have to say Nuria did well though, she didn’t play spectacular but she did exactly what she needed to. Kudos to her.

Pennetta – Medina Garrigues
This is the match I was actually worried about most before the tie started (and the doubles of course, but I didn’t expect that to be necessary). In Australia, Flavia seemed to lose against the players with a ranking around her own, and it’s always tough to play a friend, so I was afraid she’d lose. Unfortunately, she didn’t prove me wrong. Flavia and Anabel’s games are quite similar it seemed to me, but Flavia was making a lot more errors than Anabel. She was also standing far behind the baseline, while Anabel was standing on the baseline. I wondered why she didn’t move forward a little, because it’s not like Medina hit that hard, but even when Flavia had the chance to get to the baseline, she’d move back again:shrug: Another thing I noticed about Flavia’s game is that she likes to choose a corner, and keep hitting there, and then maybe after a couple of shots change direction and try to get the point that way. However, at the end of last season that worked really well, but now it didn’t. All she achieved with it was causing herself to make the mistake, most of the time. So basically, just like Nuria, Anabel only had to keep the ball in play, she didn’t have to do anything spectacular to win. But she played decently, sometimes solidness is the most important thing and the Spanish were very good at being solid. Much better than the Italians. I have to say though, I was not unimpressed with Flavia's game either. Her shots are definitely ok, she just lacks that bit of form. The exception is the 2nd serve though, she really needs to fix that, get confidence in it so she can hit it with a bit more risk, because this way it is going to be killed by the top players, really. Same goes for Anabel's 2nd serve btw, but Flavia's was even weaker. Weakest shot of the weekend (Schiavone's backhand was pretty weak too, but only because she was making too many errors with it, and slicing it too much, not because it is a weak shot in itself).
Of course, as she was losing, Flavia was getting all frustrated. She kept glancing at her family (not so nice for me, as it’s uncomfortable to take pictures of someone who keeps glancing in your direction ;)), who really were trying hard to cheer for her, but it didn’t really help. She was also really pumping herself up (we were happy to see that, you should have seen the messages I collected for her, everybody wrote how much they liked her temper :o), but most noticably she bounced her racket twice. That showed to me how very frustrated she must have been, because she actually very rarely bounces her racket. She always makes the gesture, but never actually does it.

So then Italy was 2-0 behind, which I think nobody had expected before the tie. We were all very disppointed, sphere was pretty low, but we were also thinking: you never know, it is not over yet. Wishful thinking....

(pictures to follow tomorrow)

propi
Feb 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Zamboni (Linda I think)... it's a bit sad what you say about Flavia's game... I could see that same match 2 or 3 years ago on clay in Spain, Flavia vs. Anabel and Flavia's game was simply amazing that weekend :worship:
At the end she was very happy and I could congratulate her and wishing good luck for the final (which they finally won :D)
She's incredibly gorgeous in real life :worship: and really nice and down to earth player :D

Zamboni
Feb 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Zamboni (Linda I think)... it's a bit sad what you say about Flavia's game... I could see that same match 2 or 3 years ago on clay in Spain, Flavia vs. Anabel and Flavia's game was simply amazing that weekend :worship:
At the end she was very happy and I could congratulate her and wishing good luck for the final (which they finally won :D)
She's incredibly gorgeous in real life :worship: and really nice and down to earth player :D
Oh, don't get me wrong, her game was alright, except for the 2nd serve. It just wasn't spectacular either, too many errors. But if she just gets that extra bit of form, she might hit those shots just in instead of just out.
I'm not too worried about her game, just not over the moon either.

btw, yes it's Linda ;)

Zamboni
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Sunday

When we entered the stadium, Flavia and Tax were hitting, I have to say, they seemed to hit better than on saturday, but what good was that? When she left, we got our flags signed by Flavia (I really stopped autograph hunting years and years ago, but I liked it for on my flag, got the whole team to sign it), and asked her whether she had read the messages already. She said she hadn´t yet, with a bit of an impatient sound in her voice (like: you’ve only given them to me on friday, give me some time), but also with a smile, even when she was repeating the ‘ not yet’ in English for me, so I guess we just drove her a little crazy ;):lol:

Schiavone – Medina Garrigues
I cannot say much about their games. It wasn’t much different than what I described about saturdays matches, really (ok, and I don’t remember too much of it either). Francesca was playing better than on Saturday though, she was making a bit less errors, and she seemed to fight more, especially in the first set. She seemed to still believe in it, and she really really wanted to win that first set. So when she didn’t, it was pretty much over, unfortunately. The 2nd set went to Anabel pretty easily.

Errani – Dominguez Lino
At the beginning of this match, nobody was really paying attention. People were talking, walking around, stalking Flavia who was in the stands with her family, trying to watch the match (she should have known that wasn’t gonna work out though :p half the stadium was asking her for pics and autographs) etc. Admittedly, the match wasn’t too interesting either. Sara was just too nervous in the first set, making too many mistakes, and Lourdes, well....her backhand is nice but her forehand...Did I say Flavia’s 2nd serve was the weakest shot of the weekend? I might have to take that back. It seems like Lourdes can only moonball her forehand, even indoors. Pretty boring. After she lost the 1st set, Sara lost ner nerves a bit, and she started to play better. The beginning of the 2nd set was still a bit shaky, but as it progressed she was outplaying Lourdes more and more. What was nice to see was that the other Italian players were also starting to support Sara more, cheering for her more, etc. In the 3rd set Sara was simply too good, she bagelled Lourdes, never in doubt anymore. Very nice to see Sara win her debut Fed Cup match, and good that it was a match that didn’t matter anymore, now she probably won’t be as nervous next time.

Garbin/Errani vs Llagostera Vives/Suarez Navarro
Spain obviously didn’t care about the doubles much anymore, and I doubt Italy did either, or they wouldn’t have let Errani play 2 matches in a row (I guess Flavia, who didn’t play at all on Sunday, didn’t feel like playing for nada), but of course, once the players were on court, they wanted to win and were really fighting for it. This match was a lot nicer to watch than the 4th rubber, because of the better quality and because doubles is always more spectacular. The crowd (the part of it still there, anyway) was more into it as well. Tax was clearly the best doubles player on court, she seemed to enjoy herself a lot too. Also, Suarez was clearly the weakest of the 4 players. In short, the Italians were simply a little too good for the Spanish, though they were clearly not playing with their best doubles team (neither was Italy of course, but I think the difference was bigger for Spain).

After the matches, we went to the players exit because Valerie wanted to talk to Tax for a bit. Flavia was the first Italian player to leave, however, she walked right past us. I guess she didn’t even see us, she wasn’t exactly looking around, she just wanted to get to the car it seemed. Her mum said hi to me and Salvo though:lol: Then Tax left, we talked to her for a bit, she said she liked that we cheered for her in the doubles match :)

That’s all, except some random things:
Halfway through the first day, I lost these blow up clap thingies, and Flavia still had to play. Result: my hands were bruised at the end of the day, clapped too much:lol:
If looks could kill, Flavia would so have killed the Spanish fans:haha: *loves it* Oh, and Lourdes would have killed us:lol:
Anabel and Flavia swapped their jackets at the end of the tie. I like that, people always do it at the Olympics too ;) Looks a bit weird though, Italian pants and a Spanish jacket, and Spanish pants and an Italian jacket...
My favourite yell of the weekend was ‘ braaava braaaava braaaava’ after the Spanish made an error, esp after a DF:devil:

(pics are going to be uploaded soon)

FORZA SARITA
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My favourite yell of the weekend was ‘ braaava braaaava braaaava’ after the Spanish made an error, esp after a DF

:haha::haha::haha:

Zamboni
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
My favourite yell of the weekend was ‘ braaava braaaava braaaava’ after the Spanish made an error, esp after a DF

:haha::haha::haha:
blame Salvatore:haha: it was really his yell:lol::devil:

gumoll
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
braaaava LINDA :p

savitri
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
thanks Linda nice report :)

Yasmine
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
blame Salvatore:haha: it was really his yell:lol::devil:
blame the lack of sport on others, well done you linda! :clap2:

:lol:

thanks for sharing anyway :kiss:

Zamboni
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Day 1 pictures:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010164.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010169.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010171.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010172.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010176.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010178.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010184.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010191.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010198.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010203.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010214.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010215.jpg
(the rain delay)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010236.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010241.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010250.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010252.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010255.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010265.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010269.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010291.jpg

dybbuk
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
So Linda, when are you going to tell me what you said with my name in the card? :lol:

FORZA SARITA
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
So Linda, when are you going to tell me what you said with my name in the card? :lol:

that you hate her:p:lol:

Zamboni
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM
:lol: just that you're a fan of her and good luck, etc :p

Zamboni
Feb 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Day 2 pictures:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010300.jpg
Flavia training

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010303.jpg
Tax training

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010309.jpg
ppl paying attention to the match...

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010311.jpg
Fran playing

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010312.jpg
the bench again

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010318.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010334.jpg
(yes I have heaps of these kind of pics)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010339.jpg
The Spanish after the 3rd match

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010342.jpg
Flavia trying to console Fran

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010351.jpg
Sara

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010365.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010373.jpg
One of my fave pics - Fran and Flavia cheering for Sara

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010380.jpg
Like I said: and we have to be quiet during play?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/P1010392.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/029.jpg
Lourdes, Anabel and Flavia chatting after the 4th match

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/032.jpg
Tax&Sara

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/034.jpg
Tax

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/039.jpg
Anabel joining the Italian camp during the doubles

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/041.jpg
Carla Suarez

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/LindaZamboni/Tennis/Napoli2008/048.jpg
Sara