PDA

View Full Version : How can someone be a fan of Shuai Peng?

Sylvester
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I would like to hear some opinions.

She has talent, but she is so mentally weak and her shot selection is so ridiculous that I would to understand why some people like her so much.

lolas
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Her name is Peng Shuai...

I'm a fan of Anca Barna although there's no rational reason.

Sylvester
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Her name is Peng Shuai...

I'm a fan of Anca Barna although there's no rational reason.

I think her name is Shuai Peng but simply you have to read it backwards.

I have a Chinese friend whose surname is Yan-Zhu and you have to read it like Zhu-Zhu-Yan or something like that! :help:

jamatthews
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Isn't that half the fun? :smash: :p

Ask the Mauresmo, Dementieva, Hantuchova, etc fans

lilimi
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
i think WTA put her name in right (well occidental) order and that her first name is shuai, but I'm not sure.
i like shuai because she has talent and seems to be a nice girl. but if look at my signature, it seems that i love headcases :unsure: :lol:

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
wow you really do

lilimi
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
wow you really do

:unsure: yep, that's scary...

Renaissance
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Shuai Zhang

Shuai Peng

Shuai is her first name.

I guess it's frustrating to be one her fan because she's a talented player.

Jogi
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I love chokers... :o

lilimi
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
wellcome to the club, jogi :hug:

MalJackson
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Peng can be handfull for the top players on her day.

Not many players can say this.

dya74
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
for all the wrong reasons

Beat
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM

She has talent, but she is so mentally weak and her shot selection is so ridiculous that I would to understand why some people like her so much.

so you think that all people are fans of certain players just because of their tennis skills? errr, right …

mashamaniac
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm really not a fan of chinese players,and believe they are such one-dimensional... they don't have any variety in their game and also as the original poster says they don't have the best shot selection!
only li na has the best chance amongst them!

purplerain
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm really not a fan of chinese players,and believe they are such one-dimensional... they don't have any variety in their game and also as the original poster says they don't have the best shot selection!
only li na has the best chance amongst them!

i agree with u on their game. I think that was due to *bad* coaching when they were young.
If they were not Chinese, or if I were not chinese, I might not be a fan, but ...they do make us chinese proud of them, so ;)

*JR*
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:39 AM
so you think that all people are fans of certain players just because of their tennis skills? errr, right …
(With a little help from Pengwin and myself) :angel: Pretty Peng err, "Beat" you-know-who in R1 of Charleston last year. :yeah: (On the 5th anniversary of the Strange Suissie's great '02 run there).

The Daviator
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSsnE4YS4Xk

iPatty
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I am a fan because I find her incredibly sweet and incedibly talented. I always keep hope that one day she will realize all of her talent but it looks like she will be stuck in the 40-60 range until she figures something out.

iPatty
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM

That video brings a little moisture to my eyes each time I watch it. :sad:

mankind
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Amazing video. I loved her painting.

Natash.
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM

:sad: :awww:

What a sweet commercial.

Dave.
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I don't like the style of the Chinese players at all. They are all one dimensional and all have the same games. I hate the CTA and the way I have heard they treat their players. The players are mostly really sweet (except Na Li) but I don't like their games and I don't like the CTA so I don't support them.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:13 AM
That commercial made me like Shuai. :hearts: I wouldn't call her a fave of mine, but I like to see her do well.

Anyway, this is a stupid thread question. People like the players they like, even if they're weak mentally or display poor shot selection.

Wiggly
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Half the tour will never lives up to their potential. Those players still have many fans.

switz
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I don't get it but who am i to talk.

Sassy-Na
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM
because i still think she is as talented as na li :p

switz
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
because i still think she is as talented as na li :p

define talent though. I think Peng's game is quite effective when it's on because they're is such a small margin for error. Overall though it's ineffective because she does not think on the court, has a technically weak serve, limited net skills and very looks uncomfortable when the ball is not in her hitting zone.

Na Li suffers from similar shot selection problems and doesn't play the best defence on tour but overall i think her game is technically sound and probably just as explosive.

meyerpl
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I think her name is Shuai Peng but simply you have to read it backwards.
You are correct.

I remember a couple years ago when Brad Gilbert was working in the booth with Clifford Drysdale at the Australian Open and Gilbert said her name incorrectly. Drysdale had a pretty good package going at the time and Gilbert had been butchering player's names for three days. It was the last straw for Cliff and he broke a gin bottle over Gilbert's head. It's moments like that that keep me coming back to tennis.:)

njnetswill
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I think the girls coming out of Bolitierri's are just as one dimensional. :shrug: Plus, can you really say the majority of top players today have much "variety"? :confused:

I think the reason so many Asian players play double-fisted both sides, counterpunching styles is because Asians think of themselves as slight and unable to generate the power needed to play other styles. Try to think of an Asian girl with a strong serve. (No Agkul does not count.) This is the reason why for a long time the Chinese did not invest heavily in sports that were not technique-centric (diving, table tennis, gymnastics etc.)

The Chinese girls tend to do well in doubles though, which is just further proof how unimportant the serve and volley has become in women's doubles. :lol:

Best of luck to all of them though. If they do well and bring more young players into the game, we will one day see a Chinese Schynder :silly: and a Chinese Mauresmo. :crazy:

maumau
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
She's totally mental ill
just be good at host :silly:
PLZ retire

Paneru
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM

Bigger question is,
why does it concern you so? :cool:

Josh.
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:02 AM

:sobbing: shuai :hug:

Tamus
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Guys, it's not that difficult to understand . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_name

dybbuk
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM
The overwhelming majority of players on the WTA tour are mentally weak. What? Justine, Serena, Maria, how many more? Almost every player on tour wouldn't have fans if people cared whether they were mentally strong or not. :lol:

lilimi
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM

i can't good rep you, but thank you very much for this video :) i searched for it for so long few months ago!
adidas makes great commercials. But this campaign is the best! and shuai has great drawing skills! she's so cute!

Sassy-Na
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM
well, she is not that mentally weak... all 3 R1 losses of hers were very tough matches.

Experimentee
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Shuai had the mental strength to beat a few top 10 players before. You can't say that about most other players.

Sassy-Na
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
as shuai said she needs an extra coach, who can improve her skills and game plans :p

Alizé Molik
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
for staters..why are we fans of women's tennis at all if we're not supposed to support mentally weak people??!

and i love shuai because she plays extremely well, she's a bit of a mess and mostly becasue she isn't like the rest of the chinese players, she doesn't let herself get controlled by the chinese tennis authorities :D