Four interesting players -

Who will have the best ranking at the end of 2008

Anna Chakvetadze
Agnieszka Radwanska
Caroline Wozniacki
Agnes Szavay

Harvs
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
lol wozniaki... i dont think she will b close to the others... altho i do like her.

i say chakers:)

matanuriel
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Anna for sure!
Though if Szavay will get back to her end 2007 form I can see her passing her...

mladenkr
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Race to Doha
Agnieszka Radwanska 8.
Caroline Wozniacki 24
Anna Chakvetadze 43
Agnes Szavay -

Ballbasher
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Szavay is 158 ;)

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Oy vey, Agi has put herself into a poor start. She'll turn it around though. She's definitely going to end in the top 2 of this group.

Chaky will reign surpreme I'd bet.

Elwin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Anna :rocker:

DutchieGirl
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Chaky or Agi.

justine schnyder
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think Chakky :)

Dexter
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Anybody but Chakvetadze would do it for me.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hard to say. Szavay, Radwanska and Chakvetadze are all sure to finish in the top 15 barring injuries. They all have a decent shot to finish in the top 10 too.

Wozniacki is a bit younger than all the other girls and further behind them in terms of her development, she could however eventually have comparable careers to the other three although that is yet to be determined. She won't finish anywhere near the other girls but might manage to finish top 30 and should probably be aiming for a top 20 finish.

As for the top three girls it will be a very interesting battle and I personally wouldn't be surprised to see all three in the top 10 at the end of the year. To answer the question I will opt for Radwanska, 1) because she is off to a good head start and already has a nice lead and looks to be in good form and 2) because she is a favorite and I am a bit biased. :lol:

Chris 84
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Chaky.....of the others, only Radwanska has a chance, unless a couple of them get injured :p

schorsch
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Chakve, I dont care about the rest and Wozny is still too "junior-ish".

Nederlander RUS
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Chakve and Aga - TOP 10,
Szavay - TOP 20,
Caroline - TOP 40

A'DAM
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Anna than Aga, Agnes is good but she had such a bad start of the year...

LeRoy.
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Anna C is defending a lot of points and she has seemed shaky thus far so i will say Aga.

DutchieGirl
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hard to say. Szavay, Radwanska and Chakvetadze are all sure to finish in the top 15 barring injuries. They are have a decent shot to finish in the top 10 too.

Wozniacki is a bit younger than all the other girls and further behind them in terms of her development, she could however eventually have comparable careers to the other three although that is yet to be determined. She won't finish anywhere near the other girls but might manage to finish top 30 and should probably be aiming for a top 20 finish.

As for the top three girls it will be a very interesting battle and I personally wouldn't be surprised to see all three in the top 10 at the end of the year. To answer the question I will opt for Radwanska, 1) because she is off to a good head start and already has a nice lead and looks to be in good form and 2) because she is a favorite and I am a bit biased. :lol:

Radwanka has a lead only in points for YEC - in the actual rankings (what this poll seemed to be about, but now I'm not sure) then Chaky and Agnes are still ranked above for now. Plus Agnes hasn't got that much to defend for a while yet. ;)

DutchieGirl
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Anna than Aga, Agnes is good but she had such a bad start of the year...

So? She has about 9-10 months to make up for it. ;) The 1st r loss at AO will hurt a little, but we'll see how she goes at the other GSs. ;)

Poova
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I expect it to be pretty close between Anna and Aga. I'll say Anna will come out on top, barring a huge slump or injury. :)

papru
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hard to say. Szavay, Radwanska and Chakvetadze are all sure to finish in the top 15 barring injuries. They are have a decent shot to finish in the top 10 too.

:lol: :yeah: and thats the way its supposed to be :p ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Radwanka has a lead only in points for YEC - in the actual rankings (what this poll seemed to be about, but now I'm not sure) then Chaky and Agnes are still ranked above for now. Plus Agnes hasn't got that much to defend for a while yet. ;)

Yes. But only points for the YEC are going to count towards one's ranking at the end of the year. All other points in one's current ranking are going to fall off at some point so actually in terms of how the players will finish the year ranked, yes, Agnieszka leads.

As for Agnes true, most of her points drop off in the 2nd half of the year, but virtually all her current points will drop off at some point this year as she has earned virtually no points so far this year. Obviously that should change shortly.

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Anna for sure, I don't know why is she compared to those players, she is top ten

Topspin2
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Anna :)

Cp6uja
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Question - Who will finish 2010 or 2011 like best ranked player out of this 4 make sense for me, but not this.

Its unfair to A.Radwanska, Wozniacki and Szavay... and on other hand is unfair to Chaky which is only "established" WTA player - not upcoming youngstar like other three.

dya74
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I prefer Caroline all the way... but to be realistic I say Anna

mladenkr
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Question - Who will finish 2010 or 2011 like best ranked player out of this 4 make sense for me, but not this.

Its unfair to A.Radwanska, Wozniacki and Szavay... and on other hand is unfair to Chaky which is only "established" WTA player - not upcoming youngstar like other three.

I am a fan of all four players and I prefer a little bit Anna, but I would bet on Agnieszka Radwanska
Agnieszka is the one of the four, who has beaten the toughest opponents at Grand Slams: Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova

serena_fan
Feb 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Aga

CoeXist
Feb 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
it all depends on next 4 tours aga has no point to defend... so she may earn a lot, i think she will be in march in Top20, after wimbledon (she has no points to defend at RG) she should be in Top15, rest of the season is quite open,Aga good luck :)

attis765
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Wow!People are sure fast jumping from one bandwagon to another!Szavay started this year slowly(due to lack of matches),and now suddenly she is only a Top 20 calibre player:bs:
She has 11 month to make up for January.That'll be more than enough for her,I belive...:wavey:

iamme
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Aga..which is she? sorry for my stupid question..:confused:

pekkatime
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Who else: Agnieszka Radwanska :bounce:

kolan
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM

agreed :yeah: chaky is miles ahead of the others in experience and in current achievements and rankings :)

pekkatime
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
agreed :yeah: chaky is miles ahead of the others in experience and in current achievements and rankings :)

I think Agnieszka is stronger and she will win her first match against Chaky :wavey:

Agnieska Radwanska - Ula Radwanska - Caroline Wozniacki - Alona Bondarenko

Dodoboy.
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
WOZNIACKI!...she is going to surprise us all!

mark my words!...watch out for her at either Indian Wells or Miami

Peterk07
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:28 PM
If Chaky stays where she is now, she'll have the best ranking at the end of the year. If she follows Petrova, then Agnes or Aga. Bump this thread in 5 months, and I'll tell which one of the two. :)

DutchieGirl
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Yes. But only points for the YEC are going to count towards one's ranking at the end of the year. All other points in one's current ranking are going to fall off at some point so actually in terms of how the players will finish the year ranked, yes, Agnieszka leads.

As for Agnes true, most of her points drop off in the 2nd half of the year, but virtually all her current points will drop off at some point this year as she has earned virtually no points so far this year. Obviously that should change shortly.

Yes BUT you forget that not ALL YEC points will necessarily count towards their actual ranking (best 12 + GSs and Miami, remember)? ;) So no, for actual ranking, Aga doesn't necessarily lead - because the others still have 9-10 months to have some good tourneys. ;)

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I can't see why Agnes is so much hyped

Peterk07
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I can't see why Agnes is so much hyped

Well, let me guess. Maybe because of what you see now is Szavay B. But people have seen Szavay A. And many of them think, that potentially there may come a Szavay A+ or even Szavay A++ in a few years. ;)

Rod the Bama
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Anna by far.

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Well, let me guess. Maybe because of what you see now is Szavay B. But people have seen Szavay A. And many of them think, that potentially there may come a Szavay A+ or even Szavay A++ in a few years. ;)
Let's hope so! :)

FedererBulgaria
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Of course Chakvetadze

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Yes BUT you forget that not ALL YEC points will necessarily count towards their actual ranking (best 12 + GSs and Miami, remember)? ;) So no, for actual ranking, Aga doesn't necessarily lead - because the others still have 9-10 months to have some good tourneys. ;)

The points Aga has accrued this year were earned at the AO. They will count to the end of the year ranking. So yes Aga does lead.

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The points Aga has accrued this year were earned at the AO. They will count to the end of the year ranking. So yes Aga does lead.

:scratch: Did you look at the rankings lately? :p

Adrian.
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think Aga is the best from this four players...
But why didn't you ask for Marta Domachowska...
I think she will have a good year and enter the Top 30!!!

Peterk07
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM

She's already 200 points ahead of last years of herself. If she wins at Pattaya (very likely, the draw is very weak), then she'll be some 230-240 point ahead. If she continues like this, she has a good chance to improve her last years ranking a lot.

Agnes is some 30-40 points ahead of herself. If produces a mediocre first 6 months, she can keep her ranking even with a weaker second half than last year. But I think she will do way better than that.

Anyway, if Chaky keeps her form, none of the two girls will threaten her position this year. Actually i don't see any importance of Radwanska-s and Szavay-s rankings this year. They need to focus on improving themselfs, finding their weaknesses and developing their games. This is not their time yet. But their time will come, and they need to prepare for that.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
:scratch: Did you look at the rankings lately? :p

Yes, I have.

Here they are. These are the race ranking.
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/race/singles.asp

Why am I showing you the race ranking and not the regular rankings? Very simple. Because the race ranking list only the points that have been earned so far this year. All points earned last year will not contribute to a players ranking at the end of this year. Agnieszka currently has 251 points. Of these, 250 were earned during the Australian Open. These 250 points will contribute to Agnieszka's ranking at the end of 2008. None of the other three players have earned anything close to as many points so far this year. That is why I say Agnieszka has a head start in terms of her ranking at the end of 2008.

If you still do not understand I am afraid this particularly icon is far more appropiate for you than it is for me. :scratch:

Seriously, you follow tennis intently enough that I would have thought you would have a better understanding of the rankings and how they work, but apparently not it seems. :shrug:

I should also add that I am aware it is very early in the tennis year and all three of the other players have plenty of time to catch up.

papru
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
For those who don't understand ;)

ChrisCHorse's point:
The points from the race will stay and the rest may come away. And that's why the race shows better the achievements of a particular season. To me it's more than clear :shrug:

Sefo
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
5. Vica Azarenka

tennis24.pl
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Chaki will be best ranking place if this WTA Players:) I think she will be in a 5-6 place, Radwańska 14-16, Wozniacki and Szavay under 30place ranking.

jonny84
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Realistically Anna. But expect Radwanska to break into the Top20. Agnes to move up to #13-#16 and for Caroline to linger outside on the cusp of the Top20.

Lucyxx
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Who will finish 2010 or 2011 like best ranked player out of this 4 make sense for me, but not this.
Or even 2009.

Adrian.
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
or 2012

A'DAM
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM
or 2020 :weirdo:

Renalicious
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Aga - Top 15 (abt. #11)
Anna - Top 15 (abt. #14)
Agi - Top 25 (abt. #22)
Caroline - Top 35 (abt. #35)

papru
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
or 2020 :weirdo:

:lol:

Peterk07
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
For those who don't understand ;)

ChrisCHorse's point:
The points from the race will stay and the rest may come away. And that's why the race shows better the achievements of a particular season. To me it's more than clear :shrug:

I think we understood ChrisCHorse, he/she explained it well. :) But I think it doesn't give better prognozis (at the moment), because it lacks to predict one important factor: consistency. So I think, in this early period of the year, a mix of the two rankings may give better prognozis than any of the two alone.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I think we understood ChrisCHorse, he/she explained it well. :) But I think it doesn't give better prognozis (at the moment), because it lacks to predict one important factor: consistency. So I think, in this early period of the year, a mix of the two rankings may give better prognozis than any of the two alone.

Certainly true. I certainly wouldn't suggest that one reads too much into one months results. It is nice to get off to a good start to the year but it hardly guarentees anything. Certainly both Aga and Agi have much time to continue to improve their games. But as both are already ranked around the top 20 mark and both are young and improving fast it is also reasonable to assume both have a very realistic chance to finish this year in the top 10. Change happens very fast in tennis. The future these girls are preparing for won't take long to arrive.

As for Chakvetadze, she had a magnificent year last year, and will, no doubt, have a great career, but now she has to do it all over again, and sometimes players do not find it easy to follow up their first year as a big fish. If she takes a step back this year I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I consider it necessarily a cause for alarm in terms of her long term career. I still maintain Aga and Agi both have a legitimate chance of passing Anna this year.

Direwolf
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
All would be out of top ten..
but with AGA leading
then Chaky
then Szavay
then Wozniacki
One bondarenko
and urzula

A'DAM
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Well if Urszula R will not get a good sport psychologist she will not even crack the top 100 :rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Yes, I have.

Here they are. These are the race ranking.
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/race/singles.asp

Why am I showing you the race ranking and not the regular rankings? Very simple. Because the race ranking list only the points that have been earned so far this year. All points earned last year will not contribute to a players ranking at the end of this year. Agnieszka currently has 251 points. Of these, 250 were earned during the Australian Open. These 250 points will contribute to Agnieszka's ranking at the end of 2008. None of the other three players have earned anything close to as many points so far this year. That is why I say Agnieszka has a head start in terms of her ranking at the end of 2008.

If you still do not understand I am afraid this particularly icon is far more appropiate for you than it is for me. :scratch:

Seriously, you follow tennis intently enough that I would have thought you would have a better understanding of the rankings and how they work, but apparently not it seems. :shrug:

I should also add that I am aware it is very early in the tennis year and all three of the other players have plenty of time to catch up.
I DO understand what you are saying - I just don't AGREE with your way of looking at it as you have no idea what's gonna happen in the next 10 months. Yes, Aga's had a very good start to the year, but given that Anna's ranked higher, she has more chance to have better draws (ie play seeds later in tourneys etc) which can also help her gain more points in the end. ;) And as I have ALSO said, race rankings don't mean everything BECAUSE not all points earned in the RACE will count towards ACTUAL ranking. That's why I don't look at the race in this question, because it's not accurate for actual ranking, where not all points are counted.

I undertand perfectly how the rankings work thank you very much. I am not as stupid as you would like to make out I am. We just look at things differently here, and yes, while AGa currently has more points for the year, what I am saying is, they others have 9-10 monhs to also get more points. :shrug: Is that really hard to understand for you or? I didn't actually debate the fact that Aga has more points for the year - what I was debating was your use of the Race rankings to compare to actual rankings, as I have said a couple of times previously now, Race count ALL points, while actual rankings are best 12 plus GSs & Miami. See? :)

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hooray! Thank you. Someone understands! ;)

Slutati
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Anna will be ranked the highest at the end of this year, but next year one of these girls will overtake her in the rankings.

papru
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM

do we really need to know about consistency of one's if we talk about things happening at the very moment :confused: :lol: :p ;)

DutchieGirl
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
do we really need to know about consistency of one's if we talk about things happening at the very moment :confused: :lol: :p ;)

Well considering the question was about the END OF THE YEAR, then yeah, consistency helps, don't you think?

go_russia
Feb 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
for me Agnieska because Anna will lost her points of 2007 and Radwanska has not so many points to defend

papru
Feb 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Well considering the question was about the END OF THE YEAR, then yeah, consistency helps, don't you think?

;) lets say: yes it does help when talkinga bout the end of the year, not when talking about the very moment.

papru
Feb 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM
bump :angel:

miffedmax
Feb 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
The Chakosaurus.