PDA

View Full Version : Players Who Have Never Won A Major, But Might

NASCARFan
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
What are your thoughts on players currently in the Top 100 who have never won a major, but who have the potential to do so? I am not talking about about certainties here, just players with a reasonable shot at winning a major during their career.
I think the list is fairly short:
Ivanovic
Jankovic
Vaidisova
Golovin
Szavay
Azarenka
Krajicek (I expect a fair amount of disagreement on that one)
Paszek
Wozniacki

And that's it.
Thoughts?

matanuriel
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Nice you left out Shahar and Radwanska. Anyway from that list I can see only Ana, Jelena, Vaidisova, Azarenka and Paszek that might win a slam.
Others will have some good years at the top and will reach semies and maybe finals but as you know there are 4 slams a year and all the players want them only the best of the best can get them.

lolas
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Chakvetadze, Dementieva, Petrova. Yes, I'm serious about Nadia. I believe she can win RG.
Oh, and even Hantuchova has a shot.

Slutati
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
this is just my opinion on the ones you said
Ivanovic-yes, has a chance
Jankovic-yes
Vaidisova-yes
Golovin-hope so :D
Szavay-no
Azarenka-not sure:shrug:
Krajicek-no
Paszek-no
Wozniacki-no

MisterMan
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ivanovic-yes,
Jankovic-yes
Vaidisova-yes
Golovin-never
Szavay-never
Azarenka-in a few years, maybe
Krajicek-never
Paszek-in a few years
Wozniacki-no

Peterk07
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Ivanovic-almost sure,
Jankovic-i really like her, but...no
Vaidisova-maybe
Golovin-not sure
Szavay-sure! :rocker:
Azarenka-yes
Krajicek-never
Paszek-yes
Wozniacki-don't know

i'd add Raswanska-yes.

Henpova
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think Dani, Elena have shots. When on there game they are hard to beat, but they are not on to often and almost never at a major.

Ivanoic-yea
Jankovic-yeah
Vaisova-maybe but don't think so
Golovin, yes if she can stay healthy, but not likely

As far as the up and coming girls, way to early to tell.

Hell a lot of people thought Henin would never even make a GS final before 01 and now she has Seven. So we don't really know.

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:50 AM
-Paszek
-Jankovic
-Ivanovic
-Radwanska
-Hantuchova
-Wozniacki
-Azarenka
-Szavay(hell no :o )

Tennisstar86
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hantuchova...... if she ever gets her mentality down.....(heck Mauresmo's nerves held for 2 events... why not Dani...) anyways the way she was destroying Ivanovic..granted Ivanovic wasnt playing great tennis... Dani was playing beautifully though... so shes got a shot....

NASCARFan
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I think the ship has sailed for Dementieva and Petrova ...

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM
here are my picks

Ivanovic almost certain she'll win one
Vaidisova same with Vaida
Szavay pretty sure with Agnes, her game and tactics are impressive considering her inexperience

Azarenka not so sure, needs to think more but definitely got game
Paszek needs to improve her serve and get a bit fitter
Cibulkova only seen her play once but her results are impressive
Rezai needs to get fitter but shes improving a lot year on year

I think these 3 have the talent to win a slam but not the mentality, all 3 are nutcases in pressure moments so I dont see any of them winning a slam which IMO is a shame

Hantuchova
Dementieva
Schnyder

Uranium
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Dokic in 2009

LudwigDvorak
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I never thought Schnyder or Hantuchova would win a slam, still don't. I never viewed Petrova as a potential slam champ either aside from a brief period in the spring of 2006. Dementieva made slam finals with a semi and some quarters after those finals, so until her blowout to Jankovic at USO I thought she still had her chance to be one. Not anymore, but she'd rather win a gold medal anyway. I'd be happy with that.

Ivanovic will obviously get a slam. If Jankovic can avoid Justine I think she can get one. Umm. I think Paszek can win a slam one day, not for awhile, but one day. She needs to improve a lot of things but she's still so young. If they can get their heads together, I wouldn't be surprised if Azarenka and Vaidisova won championships.

I'll sound crazy but I really do think if she could keep her head straight Safarova could be a slam winner, but alas.

I think that's it. At least about players I know. Wozniacki, Cirstea, all them bitches I think are talented but I haven't quite seem another level by them yet. But it's possible.

Seyz
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM
For me only Ivanovic, Jankovic and my deep instilled faith in Mirza,
but that's it.

Huntress555
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:10 AM
First ones that come to mind for me are Ivanovic, Jankovic and Vaidisova :D!

Aryman3
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:41 AM
As always. The Big under-assessment of A.Radwanska capabilities. She's better than the young bunch
(Azarenka, Szavay, Krajicek amd so on) and you'll learn it pretty soon

LudwigDvorak
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:48 AM
As always. The Big under-assessment of A.Radwanska capabilities. She's better than the young bunch
(Azarenka, Szavay, Krajicek amd so on) and you'll learn it pretty soon

I did overlook her, but it's easy to. She's a backboard with no real special abilities or talents, at least in my eyes. She has solid strokes, good anticipation and movement--those are her strengths, but she still has enough stupid/ :weirdo: losses where she isn't quite registering to most people. She won a TIV title last year and probably about to win another this week. Although she just made her first slam quarterfinal and has beaten two #2 players at consecutive slams.

With wins over Myskina, Dementieva, Hingis, Sharapova, and Kuznetsova I'd imagine she'd inevitably become one of the top tier players. She just has that type of game plan that bothers the players. We'll see, but nothing's a foregone conclusion.

svetaisthebest
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Ana will definitely win a slam in future imo.She's already improved so much and will continue to improve:).I think the other player who I can win a future slam is Tamira Paszek .I watched her at the AO and her game is very impressive:worship: but she needs to work on her serve and mental toughness (she is still young )and I think she can be be a future grand slam champion. Agnes Szavay also has a good chance of getting a future slam title because of her serve :).

Aryman3
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Why is Aga future GS winner material-much better than your favorites?. Cause she plays fine all-round tennis that is out of range for Florida bum-bum-school products charcteristic for youngsters nowadays

Sharakim
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I agree that Radwanska is one to look out for. I think she won the wimbledon juniors title didn't she? Anyway, the thing that impresses me most about her is that she doesn't seem fazed when playing against high ranked opponents. I mean she took out the #2 in the world twice in two separate GS tournaments. She doesn't seem afraid to make an upset. My question with her is whether she'll be able to play as well with expectations hanging over her head. Up to now she hasn't had much pressure to win these matches with big name opponents. I'd like to see how she does at the FO with increased expectations. She's shown some game and mental toughness, but is it enough to bag her a slam? She's very young so time is on her side.

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Quite probable:
Ivanovic
Vaidisova
Szavay

Perhaps (needs luck):
Jankovic
Dementieva
Paszek

Not likely (probably not):
Azarenka
Krajicek
Wozniacki
Radwanska

Hell No:
Golovin

What I base this on is age, relative success to peers, and stepping up in big moments. I'd be very surprised if Vaidisova AND Ivanovic never won majors. Szavay is quicker than those two players and has a great serve and backhand. She's on the rise again after hitting a bump at the Australian.

Jankovic keeps missing her mark in the majors. She'll need some luck and self destruction of opponents(a la Myskina) to win a major. I won't give up hope for Dementieva. She would have gone far at the Australian if it hadn't been for Sharapova. Paszek is so young and so talented it would be silly to dismiss her chances. She'll need to up the ante in her athleticism and serve if she wants to be a real contender.

The only thing that the "not likely" players have in their favor is age. Radwanska seems to be the only one mentally tough enough in the majors, but she always produces one upset and burns out. She can also be blown off the court. The others need to get their serves or fitness together.

Golovin :tape: Are you people serious?

Serge007
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Golovin Are you people serious?
And are you serous about Dementieva or Szavay?

Sharakim
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I won't give up hope for Dementieva. She would have gone far at the Australian if it hadn't been for Sharapova.See this is a statement that I don't agree with. If Dementieva wants to win a slam, she's going to have to face and beat players she has problems with. If we keep saying that she lost because she met so and so when are the excuses going to end? IMO, Elena needs to improve her serve dramatically and her mentality if she ever wants to reach a GS final again let alone win the whole thing. What I saw in that fourth round match against Maria was an intimidated player too frightened to challenge someone who was clearly bullying her around the court.

matanuriel
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Quite probable:
Ivanovic
Vaidisova
Szavay

Perhaps (needs luck):
Jankovic
Dementieva
Paszek

Azarenka
Krajicek
Wozniacki
Radwanska

Hell No:
Golovin

What I base this on is age, relative success to peers, and stepping up in big moments. I'd be very surprised if Vaidisova AND Ivanovic never won majors. Szavay is quicker than those two players and has a great serve and backhand. She's on the rise again after hitting a bump at the Australian.

Jankovic keeps missing her mark in the majors. She'll need some luck and self destruction of opponents(a la Myskina) to win a major. I won't give up hope for Dementieva. She would have gone far at the Australian if it hadn't been for Sharapova. Paszek is so young and so talented it would be silly to dismiss her chances. She'll need to up the ante in her athleticism and serve if she wants to be a real contender.

The only thing that the "not likely" players have in their favor is age. Radwanska seems to be the only one mentally tough enough in the majors, but she always produces one upset and burns out. She can also be blown off the court. The others need to get their serves or fitness together.

Everybody got his on faith in his fave. I can see any of the players you listed winning slams (it won't be such shock their are all young and talented) and even Shahar (I believe that her game takes time to develop like JJ's game).
There is a man here that think Radwanska will be a multi GS winner, I don't think so but I wouldn't be that suprise if she will because she talented, young and gaining exp right now...

bavaria86
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Dementieva, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Paszek, Azarenka

Iceland
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Quite probable:
Ivanovic
Vaidisova
Szavay

Perhaps (needs luck):
Jankovic
Dementieva
Paszek

Azarenka
Krajicek
Wozniacki
Radwanska

Hell No:
Golovin

I agree on that list. Ana & Nicole has nothing to prove, they obviously have the required talent to win. It doesn't mean that they will win a major before the others, but I can't imagine them not having one. Agi also belongs to the same category as you said, she can play well on every surface, she has the variety & her serve will always be a huge reliability. On the contrary, Azarenka won't, she is too one-dimensional & bulldozer tennis is not enough to win a Slam.
Aga ATM is proving that she's more an upset queen at Slams than a major threat. If she doesn't get a better serve & a more solid physical condition, there is no way she can have a Slam. But those improvements are definitely up to her.

I would just change two things in your list : first, I don't think you can overlook Tatiana so easily ... she is working on her game & she is still young. She has time to change her atitude towards Grand Slams. It's sure that the more she is waiting, the less chances she has. Then, I think Alizé has a shot at one year winning Roland-Garros, she is typical clay-court player moving well & playing with lots of spin. She is working on her serve & shape, so with time and experience, I'm sure she will. I would put to finish Aravane in a "?" group, she has a great talent & she has already improved so much. So with a better return of serve, she might do some big damages in Slams & who knows .... Contrary to Tatiana, she has a extremely positive attitude in Slams & knows how to put the crowd behind her.

Peterk07
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Anytime i see her she impresses me. This girl has everything to win a slam except health. She's very injury-prone.

At the moment, only Ivanovic (and maybe Vaidisova?) has real shot to win a slam. Jelena is good, but hasn't got a serve. Therefore her only chance is RG. So maybe, but very very unlikely, because the competition is strong there.

The others are not yet playing on slam winning level. But this is how things work, young players develop, getting better all the time. One can never tell who'll be the best out of the youngsters, but I think the Radwanska, Azarenka, Szavay trio have the best chances. All 3 girls are good on all surfaces, and seem to be good mentally too. I can't add Paszek to the trio atm, because her serve is very weak, and I don't see the same mental strength the other's have. But she's very-very young and I like her so much so I say yes for her too. :)

Anyway, if Kuznetsova could win a slam, anyone could out of the top 15+up and coming youngsters.

up!
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Nice you left out Shahar and Radwanska. Anyway from that list I can see only Ana, Jelena, Vaidisova, Azarenka and Paszek that might win a slam.
Others will have some good years at the top and will reach semies and maybe finals but as you know there are 4 slams a year and all the players want them only the best of the best can get them.

Has Peer ever beaten a former slam champion or a top 5 player ?

matanuriel
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Has Peer ever beaten a former slam champion or a top 5 player ?

She defeted Myskina twice and Kuznetsova twice (when she was ranked #4 and #3) so yes!

I hope you didn't try to show that Shahar isn't talented, I will be very mad!;)

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
And are you serous about Dementieva or Szavay?

It's a major SF or F. The chips are down. Dementieva or Golovin?
Dementieva would wear Golovin out.

Szavay is simply more talented than Golovin and has actual weapons. Szavay did as much in half a year on tour as Golovin has done in years.

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Everybody got his on faith in his fave. I can see any of the players you listed winning slams (it won't be such shock their are all young and talented) and even Shahar (I believe that her game takes time to develop like JJ's game).
There is a man here that think Radwanska will be a multi GS winner, I don't think so but I wouldn't be that suprise if she will because she talented, young and gaining exp right now...

Shahar and Jelena have some of the simplest games in women's tennis. Jelena had some great wins before she really got her act together. She struggled with focus and other issues. Shahar doesn't have the athleticism or the grounstroke production Jankovic does. And Jelena hasn't even made a major final. Shahar is a league below...

From my post, I seem to have omitted Chakvetadze and Hantuchova-- I'd add them to the unlikely list. They're going to make deep runs though. I just don't know if they'll ever hold the biggest trophy.

Aryman3
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Stop count GS winning abilities on muscles basis. Coetzer and even Smashnova were pocket-size tennis players without winning shots, but at top of their form they could easily won with every opponent. Coetzer defeated Graf several times.
Good player like Radwanska can deregulate her rival's play and it's enough to win

Droolv
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Ivanovic (Yes)
Jankovic (Yes)
Vaidisova (Yes)
Golovin (Yes)
Szavay (No)
Azarenka (No)
Krajicek (No)
Paszek (Yes)
Wozniacki (No)

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Ivanovic (Yes)
Jankovic (Yes)
Vaidisova (Yes)
Golovin (Yes)
Szavay (No)
Azarenka (No)
Krajicek (No)
Paszek (Yes)
Wozniacki (No)

You really think 5 players in this group WILL win majors? (Do you realize that the US Open last year only had 5 players competing who had won majors in the whole draw?)

And yet Szavay did as much in half a year as what a lot of these other girls have taken years to do?

Il Primo!
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Vaidisova, Jankovic everywhere. Ivanovic on clay or in Melbourne. That's about it.

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Vaidisova, Jankovic everywhere. Ivanovic on clay or in Melbourne. That's about it.

Don't you reckon of those three players, Ivanovic is the one most suited to all the majors? I think she has a better grass game than Vaidisova or Jankovic. I can't imagine Jelena winning Wimbledon.

Dexter
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Stop count GS winning abilities on muscles basis. Coetzer and even Smashnova were pocket-size tennis players without winning shots, but at top of their form they could easily won with every opponent. Coetzer defeated Graf several times.
Good player like Radwanska can deregulate her rival's play and it's enough to winCould you remind me how many Slams Coetzer has to her credit? :wavey: Or Smashnova for that matter. :tape:

I love Aga, but no way she's winning a single GS title.

Elwin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ivanovic - yes
Jankovic - no, her serve is too :tape:
Vaidisova - yes
Golovin - no
Szavay - yes
Azarenka - no
Krajicek - don't know. If she will win a GS it will be Wimbledon :shrug:
Paszek - yes
Wozniacki - don't know yet

A. Radwanska - don't know

Il Primo!
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Don't you reckon of those three players, Ivanovic is the one most suited to all the majors? I think she has a better grass game than Vaidisova or Jankovic. I can't imagine Jelena winning Wimbledon.

Not really.

I truly thinks Jnakovic's game fits more all type of surface compared to Ana's. Ana's needs a rather slow surface to adjust herself and being really dangerous. We saw that in RG and Melbourne. OTOH, Jankovic is equally dangerous everywhere.
But since Hénin is here for years, RG is kinda locked. Ana can still have a chance in Melbourne but if she faces healthy Sharapova, Venus, I don't like her chances.

For jankovic, is more mental than anything

Same goes for Vaidisova. Out of the three she has tme the biggest potential and I'm sure once she matures, she will be the most dangerous. Her big serve and big groundies work everywhere. She moves well on clay, I reckon.

In fact, to sum up, Ivanovic is ready but the older generation is too tough for in Wimbledon and NY (I don't see her beating Hénin, Sharapova in Melbourne/Venus, Sharapova in Wimbledon/The Big Four in NY). Jankovic and Vaidisova needs to mature but they have the game to trouble the very best players.

Demska
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Nadia would have won RG 2006 if she didn't get injured.

Golovinjured.
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I would really really love to see Dementieva, Petrova, Dokic, Karatantcheva, Hantuchova, Pascek and Ivanovic all win majors. I think Ivanovic and Karatantcheva will definately win atleast one each. I hope Dementieva finds the form that took her to GS finals again. I wish Henin, William Sisters and Sharapova got struck down for a few years with sickness so someone else could dabble in grand slam glory.

Does anyone think a 5th grand slam could be implemented in the next 10 years or so? or a 5 set final?

LeRoy.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Ivanovic
Vaidisova
Azarenka
Tamira (maybe)

I only see these four winning slams. Of those, i think Nicole will win the most.

Bartosh
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Vaidisova and Ivanovic - yes
Petrova, Dementieva, Hantuchova - no
Other - maybe

Matt01
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Szavay is simply more talented than Golovin and has actual weapons. Szavay did as much in half a year on tour as Golovin has done in years.

Yeah, and Golovin doesn't have any actual weapons :weirdo:

Szavay has never even reached a Tier I final. Golovin has.

Matt01
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I love Aga, but no way she's winning a single GS title.

She's young and very talented, so I really don't see how you can be so sure of that.

The Kaz
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
She's young and very talented, so I really don't see how you can be so sure of that.

Because he's Dexter i.e a know-all :o

Ballbasher
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Good player like Radwanska can deregulate her rival's play and it's enough to win
It can win you match against a great player at a time but I'm not sure if she can consistently beat the top players with a good draw I can see her winning one.

I think Ivanovic will win one for sure perhaps even this year.Jankovic might do it especially at New York/Pris she's a big threat.Tati has the potential in my eyes but injuries always stop her.Dani had the best chance at Melbourne I hope she gets another Grand Slam like thisand doesn't lose her head in semis.Petrova/Dementieva/Bartoli/Safina/Bammer/Peer will never win one.It's too early too predict for Wozniacki/Paszek.Misa needs to improve a lot but I think she can.Szavay perhaps :shrug:.I can see one of Rezai/Li/Mirza get too top ,too.Vaidisova will gt to 2 or 3 at least.I can see Azarenka win one.And I hope MariaK will get to Top20 again at least.

liuxuan
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
until recently, i never really rated jankovic as someone who was a genuine grand slam champion prospect, but i do nw. I think this year she will have a real chance at RG and US Open.

Ivanovic no doubt is going to win grand slams, not sure to what extent, i think she might have a career similar to lindsays - three grand slams, maybe four. shes got the consistency, but i dont think she'll have several years of winning 6 or 7 tournaments like lindsay did.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
who knows? even the least likely out of that list (krajicek) may sneak one in.

Cp6uja
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Here is litle help from me.
List of all female slam winners borned since 1960:

1960 born: NOBODY
1961 born: NOBODY
1962 born: Tracy Austin, Hana Mandlikova
1963 born: NOBODY
1964 born: NOBODY
1965 born: NOBODY
1966 born: NOBODY
1967 born: NOBODY
1968 born: Jana Novotna
1969 born: Steffi Graf
1970 born: Gabriela Sabatini
1971 born: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
1972 born: Conchita Martinez
1973 born: Monica Seles
1974 born: NOBODY
1975 born: Mary Pierce
1976 born: Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati
1977 born: Iva Majoli
1978 born: NOBODY
1979 born: Amelie Mauresmo
1980 born: Martina Hingis, Venus Williams
1981 born: Serena Williams, Anastasia Myskina
1982 born: Justine Henin
1983 born: Kim Clijsters
1984 born: (still) NOBODY
1985 born: Svetlana Kuznetsova
1986 born: (still) NOBODY
1987 born: Maria Sharapova
1988+ born: (still) NOBODY

My expectations: 1984 and 1986 girls are hopeless (only TOP20 players are Bartoli84 and Safina86), but Jankovic85 have nice chances to join Sveta like 1985 winner. 1987 girls already have Sharapova like slam winner and Ivanovic87 is currently player with best chances to be next "new GS winner" girl. So if Chaky, Peer, Safarova... join to Maria and Ana - 1987 will be first generation ever with 3 different slam winners, but i doubt in that.
1988 have only two TOP50 players right now, but both seems like slam contenders in future - Tatiana Golovin and Agnes Szavay.
1989 have Nicole Vaidisova which is very close to be already slam winner contender and Agneska Radwanska which already have best h2h record against former slam winners than any other GS-non-winner player which is always good sign about real chances to reach some major. Krajicek89 and Azarenka89 is still "dark horses".
1990+ girls is too young, but Tamira Paszek already deserve to be noticed (about Wozniacki, Cornet, Cirstea... is too early to talking seriously about capability to win some big one).

up!
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
She defeted Myskina twice and Kuznetsova twice (when she was ranked #4 and #3) so yes!

I hope you didn't try to show that Shahar isn't talented, I will be very mad!;)

ok, two players who won a slam by mistake, nice achievement peer!

i mean, this girl is talented for sure. but she lacks something to win a slam. she doesn't have any big weapon except that she's a fighter. she lacks power, she doesn't have a big serve, a big forehand, a big backhand, her volley is ugly. well, her movement is great though but you don't win a slam by running everywhere.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM

i mean, this girl is talented for sure. but she lacks something to win a slam. she doesn't have any big weapon except that she's a fighter. she lacks power, she doesn't have a big serve, a big forehand, a big backhand, her volley is ugly. well, her movement is great though but you don't win a slam by running everywhere.

following your own logic she can very well win a Slam "by mistake" too since it's not that hard to do :rolleyes:

up!
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
yeah so you cannot be as sure as you are for ivanovic that peer will win a slam ;)

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
yeah so you cannot be as sure as you are for ivanovic that peer will win a slam ;)

why is Ivanovic's case so different then? Who has she ever beaten? Kuznetsova who won a Slam by mistake, injured Sharapova and Venus who hit a thousand UEs in that match. :rolleyes:

dya74
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ivanovic ( sure)
Jankovic ( sure)
Vaidisova ( maybe)
Golovin (:rolleyes:)
Szavay (no)
Azarenka ( good chances)
Krajicek (is it a joke?))
Paszek ( I hope)
Wozniacki (no)
A. radwanska and Chakvetadze, maybe

Cp6uja
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
why is Ivanovic's case so different then? Who has she ever beaten? Kuznetsova who won a Slam by mistake, injured Sharapova and Venus who hit a thousand UEs in that match. :rolleyes:Only in last 12 months she reach slam finals on clay and hardcourt and SF at grass, reach #2 on WTA rankings, won couple tier-I and tier-II tournaments, won 15 TOP10 matches (including 6 on slams), reach about 2.5M USD...

I think that is enough for us to say - ANA IVANOVIC HAVE BETTER CHANCES TO WIN SLAM THAN SHAHAR PEER. :p

Slutati
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh my god some of you are really annoying!stop overhyping Szavay already!i thought that was last years thing when she had 3 or 4 good tournaments i mean big deal and you're acting as if she is the best player ever i mean get real.my ass will she win a grand slam.my ass!!:rolleyes:

Peterk07
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Oh my god some of you are really annoying!stop overhyping Szavay already!i thought that was last years thing when she had 3 or 4 good tournaments i mean big deal and you're acting as if she is the best player ever i mean get real.my ass will she win a grand slam.my ass!!:rolleyes:

Calm down mate, we're talking about possible winners. No one except of maybe Ana is ready for winning a slam atm, so we are only speculating. Of course fans see brigher future for their girls, but thats natural. In fact, Szavay received less votes than Radwanska, Azarenka or Paszek, despite the fact, that she has the best ranking out of the youngsters, and she is the only one who have at least won a TIER 1-2. :) Is this overhyping? :)

p.s.
I think you're pissed more about your fav receiving only a few votes rather than about Szavay receiving a lot. :) (She actually didn't..........yet. :))

Slutati
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
yes i overreacted, but that's just me.i am calm now:Dbut it's really annoying when people start talking about how fantasticly amazing she is and i actually like Szavay but that just pisses me off.she still hasn't shown enough and of course Tati hasn't either,but it's completly different with Tatiana to me because i love love love her :lol:...but good luck to all girls i would love a new slam champion asap.it's getting a bit boring with the sisters, Henin and Masha.so they all have my blessing :angel:

p.s.
you're kinda right:p i admit...:o

Iceland
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
EDIT: if she didn't play like crazy during a month :smash:
But I think so too ... she was so solid at this time! She is still the last who defeated Justine on clay in normal conditions. Sveta is actually, but Justine had to play two matches in one day, so it doesn't count :p.

The Daviator
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Ana will succeed Justine at RG IMO, hope she wins a few of the other Slams too though, Jankovic and Vaidisova will also nab one or two. Can't see anyone else winning, but nobody saw Nastya coming so who knows :p

up!
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Only in last 12 months she reach slam finals on clay and hardcourt and SF at grass, reach #2 on WTA rankings, won couple tier-I and tier-II tournaments, won 15 TOP10 matches (including 6 on slams), reach about 2.5M USD...

I think that is enough for us to say - ANA IVANOVIC HAVE BETTER CHANCES TO WIN SLAM THAN SHAHAR PEER. :p

I don't have anything to add:bounce:

Dexter
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Because he's Dexter i.e a know-all :oThanks for answering on my behalf. :hug: I wouldn't have put it any better.

matanuriel
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Shahar and Jelena have some of the simplest games in women's tennis. Jelena had some great wins before she really got her act together. She struggled with focus and other issues. Shahar doesn't have the athleticism or the grounstroke production Jankovic does. And Jelena hasn't even made a major final. Shahar is a league below...

From my post, I seem to have omitted Chakvetadze and Hantuchova-- I'd add them to the unlikely list. They're going to make deep runs though. I just don't know if they'll ever hold the biggest trophy.

If Shahar didn't got a bit injured and lost all her confidence after miami 2007 we might have been in a diffrent situation. To remember you the vast majoroty of WTAworld voted that Shahar will have a better clay season than Ivanovic, Vaidisova and Chakvetdze but since than she didn't play her best tennis that is for sure.
And btw, If you look at Jankovic's results before turnning 20, Shahar was far more impressive. JJ's best GS showing was 2nd round and look where she is now, Shahar's best is a QF!

sakya23
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Vaidisova, if she can get her head together
Jankovic, see above
Szavay,Radwanska, Azarenka in about 2-4 years.

Serenidad.
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:08 AM

As a Serena basher, you should know not to use "would've" sweetie.

If you wanna do that Serena would have 15 Majors.

matanuriel
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Say what you want but in the current era it is not that easy to get winns over the huge names as Henin, Serena, Venus and Sharapova.
Shahar had 3 close matches vs Pova, 1 against Serena that I think she choked at the end and one vs Hingis. Consider that she met Henin only once and Venus as well.
Her forehand is nice her backhand is great! and her wanting to get better and better is one of the strongest I have ever seen among players and that is why I believe she will get better. Yet I know that most likely she won't win a slam but never the less she doesn't need to be cut out of the list.
And everyplayer that wins a slam is fully deserve it, believe me that if Shahar would be a one slam "wonder" I would be so happy.

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Ivanovic ( sure)
Jankovic ( sure)
Vaidisova ( maybe)
Golovin (:rolleyes:)
Szavay (no)
Azarenka ( good chances)
Krajicek (is it a joke?))
Paszek ( I hope)
Wozniacki (no)
A. radwanska and Chakvetadze, maybe
Why should it be a joke? She DID make QFs at Wimby last year, and was a set away from the semi's ( :fiery: rain ). If she did win one, Wimby's obviously her best shot.

kinglear
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Quite probable:
Ivanovic
Vaidisova
Szavay

Perhaps (needs luck):
Jankovic
Dementieva
Paszek

Azarenka
Krajicek
Wozniacki
Radwanska

Hell No:
Golovin

I agree about Dementieva. To me, she'll always have some shocker moment each year and maybe one of those times will be at another Grand Slam. Dementieva shouldn't feel so bad since Sharapova bageled just about everyone to win the Australian Open. I still think Dementieva is still in her good form. :)I'll never give up on her.

Peterk07
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Why should it be a joke? She DID make QFs at Wimby last year, and was a set away from the semi's ( :fiery: rain ). If she did win one, Wimby's obviously her best shot.

She's also an excellent doubles player, so I think she has good shots on winning one or two doubles slams in her career. :)

I know doubles is not singles, but thousands of talented players would be happy to have a single doubles title under their belt. :)

strictennis
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Daniela will win one sooner or later

égalité
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM
It's a total travestly that Patty Schnyder is going to retire without a slam. :smash: If she weren'y such a nutcase, she'd have a RG title.

I don't think Jankovic is going to win one. Vaidisova definitely will, Ivanovic definitely will, and Aga Radwanska definitely will.

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:45 AM
She's also an excellent doubles player, so I think she has good shots on winning one or two doubles slams in her career. :)

I know doubles is not singles, but thousands of talented players would be happy to have a single doubles title under their belt. :)
:lol: If I can be there for the final, I don't care what GS title she was winning. ;)

svetaisthebest
Feb 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM
EDIT: if she didn't play like crazy during a month :smash:
But I think so too ... she was so solid at this time! She is still the last who defeated Justine on clay in normal conditions. Sveta is actually, but Justine had to play two matches in one day, so it doesn't count :p.

it still counts :p

heytennis
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Vaidisova will win some.
Ivanovic will win some.
Besides that I can only see the really young girls like Paszek and Cornet winning in the future.

Il Primo!
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM

OK. But it's still a huge big fat joke. Stop being delusional, it won't happen.:wavey:

up!
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I don't know what to think of Cornet... :s

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
OK. But it's still a huge big fat joke. Stop being delusional, it won't happen.:wavey:

Wow. Rude much? Did I say she WILL win one? No. I said IF, yes IF, she wins one, WImby is obviously her best shot. And how the hell do you know what's gonna happen in the future anyway? :rolleyes:

jonny84
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Dementieva and Ivanovic spring to mind. Both have reached two slam finals.

I hope they both can but there is so much competetion.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
ana and vaidisova to me...

jj as we saw this past AO that she needs to be able to run down everything and needs help from opponent to win...no cheap points for her and it doesn't help when you have to deal with the elements that GS play can throw at you...

Il Primo!
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Wow. Rude much? Did I say she WILL win one? No. I said IF, yes IF, she wins one, WImby is obviously her best shot. And how the hell do you know what's gonna happen in the future anyway? :rolleyes:

Because I know it all. And I think each poster could give one reason to prove you she will never, ever, nevever win Wimbledon, which is her best shot and obviously none GS. End of.

PS: And it's not rude, it's just a tough reality too tough to swallow and to admit for a hardcore fan like you. You can badrep me it won't change anything.:wavey:

Lighter
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Everybody forgot Marion Bartoli on grass.

Active GS runner up who have never won a major :
- Dementieva (x 2)
- Ivanovic (x 2)
- Bartoli (x 1)

DutchieGirl
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Because I know it all. And I think each poster could give one reason to prove you she will never, ever, nevever win Wimbledon, which is her best shot and obviously none GS. End of.

PS: And it's not rude, it's just a tough reality too tough to swallow and to admit for a hardcore fan like you. You can badrep me it won't change anything.:wavey:
:retard: Can you get it into your thick head that I never said she WILL win a slam? Is that too hard for you to understand? Even for a :hardcore fan" like me, I can see reality. You however, obviously can't read. And why the hell would I bother to waste my time bad repping you? And yes, it is RUDE. You can say she won't win a slam in a nicer way than what you have done - so that means you are just a rude piece of shit, and I won't waste more time on you! :wavey:
*on ignore* :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I want to see how Marion does this year on grass before I can think she's a contender. Her run last year hasn't been backed up.

Danči Dementia
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Dementieva, Hantuchova, Ivanovic, in that order..........elena RG Daniela Wimbly and Ana USO

I´ts good to dream

Danči Dementia
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I agree about Dementieva. To me, she'll always have some shocker moment each year and maybe one of those times will be at another Grand Slam. Dementieva shouldn't feel so bad since Sharapova bageled just about everyone to win the Australian Open. I still think Dementieva is still in her good form. :)I'll never give up on her.

:worship:

saint2
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't know what to think of Cornet... :s

Future multi slam champion- GUARANTEED. :p:p:p

Brooks.
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM

actually she would have lost to Henin but whatever

Hantuchova will never...i repeat NEVER win a singles major

Ivanovic- probably will
Jankovic- not unless she gets a lucky draw, she'll always run into a better player
Vadisova- has the game, needs the mentality, probably
Peer- Hell No:help:
Chakvetadze- Nope

Brooks.
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:23 AM
most of the slams over the next 3-4 years will go to Henin, Sharapova, Williams x2

maybe Ivanovic could sneak in there, but the rest will have to wait

Zauber
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
this is a fun speculation.
Its tough winning a slam as the post about past winners shows.
Ivanovic has really done better than i expected her to do. I think she controls her nerves better than most in critical situations.
Vaidisova has all the talent. But the approach of keeping pressure of her is just getting tiresome. "I am only 16,17,18years old"
Its the present or never girl. I hope she will stop the cop out.
realisticly these are the only tow winners and one unexpected one as allways.

sweetpeas
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Ivanovic, Jankovic and Vaidisova !

Totaly agree!

danieln1
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Ivanovic -Yes
Jankovic - No
Vaidisova Yes
Golovin No
Szavay Yes
Azarenka No
Krajicek No
Paszek Yes
Wozniacki No
I think Hantuchova has the game to win a grand slam some day, if luck helps her...

A'DAM
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Well I am a big fan of Radwanska but dont really se her as a GS champion.
She is a very good player but she would need to improve her serve very much and get a lot of power to have a shot at one.

But who knows maybe in few years :confused: