PDA

View Full Version : Israeli sports administrator accuses Shahar Peer of "unsporting conduct"

raquel
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Shahar wasn't totally blameless but Anna Chakvetadze was no angel either ;):devil:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyid=2008-02-05T225125Z_01_L05308871_RTRIDST_0_TENNIS-FED-PEER.XML

Peer accused of 'unsporting conduct' in Fed Cup tie

Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:51 PM GMThttp://i.today.reuters.co.uk/images/spacer.gif

TEL AVIV, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Israel's most senior sports administrator criticised tennis player Shahar Peer of 'unsporting conduct' for encouraging the crowd to put off opponents during last weekend's Fed Cup tie against Russia.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alex Gilady said Israel's top player and world number 17 Peer had incited the partisan home crowd to try to distract the opposition.
"The crowd behaved this way because it was incited ... by Shahar Peer, I think this was unsporting conduct," Gilady said.

Fed Cup holders Russia won the tie 4-1 but some spectators in the capacity crowd of over 5,000 tried to unsettle the Russian trio of Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and Anna Chakvetadze.
Gilady said the crowd, some of whom had mimicked Australian Open champion Sharapova's grunting sounds as she hit the ball when she played Tzipi Obziler, had portrayed a "primitive" image of the country.
Gilady told Reuters he had sent a letter of apology for the crowd's behaviour to Russian Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev, who is also an IOC member.
The Israel Tennis Association said in a statement that it did not accept Gilady's criticism of Peer, although it asked spectators to behave in an acceptable manner.
"The Israel Tennis Association rejects Alex Gilady's attack on Israeli No. 1 Shahar Peer who has shown has sporting abilities and will continue to lead the Fed Cup team in future ... the association calls on the spectators to show restraint and respect the rules," the statement read.
Israeli host Sweden in a Davis Cup tie at the same venue near Tel Aviv this weekend. Doubles player Jonathan Erlich said he did not expect a repeat performance.
"The crowd that came last weekend and those who will be here next weekend I think will be quite different. Next week the real tennis crowd will come," Erlich told reporters on Tuesday.
Erlich, who won the Australian Open doubles title with Andy Ram last month, said the crowd had "transgressed the rules a bit and upset us all"

spiritedenergy
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Shahar wasn't totally blameless but Anna Chakvetadze was no angel either ;):devil:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyid=2008-02-05T225125Z_01_L05308871_RTRIDST_0_TENNIS-FED-PEER.XML

TEL AVIV, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Israel's most senior sports administrator criticised tennis player Shahar Peer of 'unsporting conduct' for encouraging the crowd to put off opponents during last weekend's Fed Cup tie against Russia.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alex Gilady said Israel's top player and world number 17 Peer had incited the partisan home crowd to try to distract the opposition.
"The crowd behaved this way because it was incited ... by Shahar Peer, I think this was unsporting conduct," Gilady said.

Fed Cup holders Russia won the tie 4-1 but some spectators in the capacity crowd of over 5,000 tried to unsettle the Russian trio of Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and Anna Chakvetadze.
Gilady said the crowd, some of whom had mimicked Australian Open champion Sharapova's grunting sounds as she hit the ball when she played Tzipi Obziler, had portrayed a "primitive" image of the country.
Gilady told Reuters he had sent a letter of apology for the crowd's behaviour to Russian Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev, who is also an IOC member.
The Israel Tennis Association said in a statement that it did not accept Gilady's criticism of Peer, although it asked spectators to behave in an acceptable manner.
"The Israel Tennis Association rejects Alex Gilady's attack on Israeli No. 1 Shahar Peer who has shown has sporting abilities and will continue to lead the Fed Cup team in future ... the association calls on the spectators to show restraint and respect the rules," the statement read.
Israeli host Sweden in a Davis Cup tie at the same venue near Tel Aviv this weekend. Doubles player Jonathan Erlich said he did not expect a repeat performance.
"The crowd that came last weekend and those who will be here next weekend I think will be quite different. Next week the real tennis crowd will come," Erlich told reporters on Tuesday.
Erlich, who won the Australian Open doubles title with Andy Ram last month, said the crowd had "transgressed the rules a bit and upset us all"

so what was the crowd?:tape:

Uranium
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM

:rolleyes:
Peer shouldn't take all the blame.

matanuriel
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Please stop making threads about Israel-Russia tie! This man that blame Shahar= sh*t in Israel nobody respect him or his opinion...

beecharmer
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Clearly Pe'er encouraged and laughed against Sharapova against Obziler but I think that was because she hated Maria and had a petty jealousy I don't think it was xenophobia...but Maria handled it so well, a beating and a "learn from this" should have been the end. Pe'er looked like a kindergarten after maria's admonission, so all is well.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
The crowd should not have been mocking Sharapova's grunting.
But Peer didn't start it or encouraged it. She just laughed. So did I. It was funny.
The chair should have given a warning, then a point penalty.

lolas
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Yeah, because the real tennis crowd is only interested when the men play :rolleyes:

Willam
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Shahar rocks dude :rocker2:

davidmario
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Of course it is easier to blame just one person than a whole crowd which represents the nation.

Peterk07
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
It is always their leaders who make a crowd act like a mob. And it is their leaders who can calm them down.

Sarek
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Of course it is easier to blame just one person than a whole crowd which represents the nation.

I'll say it again & again - A lot of people in the crowd were completely good (but, naturally, you'll hear only about the bad guys). So, please don't blame the whole crowd.

rollup
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Biggest load of dreck I've read in a long time :rolleyes:

You cannot blame Shahar for the behaviour of 5,000 people :fiery:

meyerpl
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I'm not going to blame Shahar Peer for the behavior of the crowd, but when they started abusing the Russian players she had a choice; she could discourage the crowd by gesturing for them to cease or she could encourage the crowd by laughing and appearing to enjoy their obnoxious behavior. Unfortunately, she chose the latter. She could have encouraged her compatriots to be better hosts. I'd be ashamed if athletes visiting my country were subjected to that sort of treatment.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Shahar did go along with it but the crowd were the problem not her, perhaps she could have stopped the behavior of the crowd if she hadnt laughed and what not but it was quite funny. the crowd did cross the line but i still laughed when they mimicked Marias grunt.
the israeli crowd were poorly behaviored in the davis cup tie against Britain last year-the players arent to blame, thats just how they react to tennis :shrug: its not fair on the opposition but i dont think its gonna change
look at the Chinese crowd they go crazy over any half decent shot, cos tennis isnt seen much over there-its the same in Israel, they are extremely patriotic-perhaps a little too much

Experimentee
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:28 AM
:rolleyes: at Erlich's comment

I also remember Okun's comment that Peer shouldn't get media coverage because shes a woman and its easy to succeed on the WTA. Israeli males seem very sexist.

Wiggly
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:36 AM

I also remember Okun's comment that Peer shouldn't get media coverage because shes a woman and its easy to succeed on the WTA. Israeli males seem very sexist.

Well, these players are mega-stars know all over the world, you know?:p

meyerpl
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:36 AM

I also remember Okun's comment that Peer shouldn't get media coverage because shes a woman and its easy to succeed on the WTA. Israeli males seem very sexist.I wouldn't generalize about Israeli males, that's not fair or accurate, but that's a screwed up thing to say. Really screwed up. If it's so easy, why doesn't he get a sex change and become the number one female player? Because it's NOT that easy. Just ask Renee' Richards!:lol:

switz
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:37 AM
i couldn't care less about this but i like Tennis Israel's response which was basically "we reject his comments because Peer is only good tennis player we have so we don't want to piss her off" :lol:

ToeTag
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Alex Gilady = drama queen
Jonathan Erlich = Jealous as hell

Slumpsova
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM
WTF is wrong with Ehlich? :rolleyes:
he really thinks the real tennis crowd will attend the match which a nobody like him plays? what a delusional ass :o

Apoleb
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm not going to blame Shahar Peer for the behavior of the crowd, but when they started abusing the Russian players she had a choice; she could discourage the crowd by gesturing for them to cease or she could encourage the crowd by laughing and appearing to enjoy their obnoxious behavior. Unfortunately, she chose the latter. She could have encouraged her compatriots to be better hosts. I'd be ashamed if athletes visiting my country were subjected to that sort of treatment.

Again, perfect. I'd say she had a third choice, which would be neither showing approval or disapproval. I guess this also would've been fine. But she chose to incite the crowd more. She didn't cause the whole thing, but her behavior wasn't correct either.

Meteor Shower
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Whats up with the dramatic pause? You are not announcing the winner of the oscar :tape:

You guys are over-analizing things way too much. It was her first match at home, she was in the moment and amazed by the crowd, so she found it funny. That doesn't make her the sister of lucifer.

matanuriel
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Shahar rocks dude :rocker2:

I love that Shahar is in your sig again :bounce:

*Jean*
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Peer was clearly encouraging the crowd to boo ;)

rollup
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Peer was clearly encouraging the crowd to boo ;)

At which part in the match was that? :scratch:

Jakeev
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Wow had this been a soccer match.........

Il Primo!
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Ok this sanction is kind of undeserved... but I'm glad Shahar takes all the blame :yeah: :banana:. Now she knows you must be a bossy and important lady to mess with Miss Sharapova. :wavey:

faboozadoo15
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
This was definitely not Shahar's "fault". You can't blame her for the crazi Israelis...
Isn't it bad enough she got her ass whooped in front of all her fans and had to take some lip from the head bitch herself, Miss Maria Sharapova? I feel like Shahar's already learned from her mistake. :devil:

Elwin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Erlich :o :tape:

kittyking
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Erlick sucks!

kittyking
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM
If Tennis is a sport that's better with a silent and bored crowd then you might as well play it over the radio :help:

Dawn Marie
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Please. Shahar did nothing wrong. This is absurd! Nobody says anything with Djoovic ( or whatever his name is) imitates players and gets the crowd going. When it is negative the leaders want to put the BLAME on some one. They talk as if the crowd is ALL negative.

They need to control the crowd and learn from it.

Some of the Russia players are not perfect either.

Dawn Marie
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The more I think about it this pissed me off! Shahar was BLAMED for something that she had no total control over. She is a victim of a sexist leader.
We all know the crowd was biased and the crowd has a life of it's own when sports is going on. Many sports icons egg on the crowd. PUHLEEZE. It's like since it concerned the blonde white european top player that suddenly they wanted Shahar to bow down.
Ms Peer needs to tell them to screw off!!

Veritas
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
It's kinda cheap to simplify the problem by pushing the blame onto one person. Judging by what I have heard and seen, Shahar could've behaved more professionally, but her behaviour in the tie was far from being the worst.

If anything, the "administrator's" comments are a little insulting. It seems he's implying that the Israeli public can't think for themselves, that their behaviour depends on petty gestures from sport stars :tape:

Irina123
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Erlich :o :tape:
He didn't say anything wrong. With all the hype in Israeli media about Masha coming to Israel, he had the right to assume (even if wrongly) that the tie was more about Sharapova that about tennis. Since there will be no Maria Sharpova in both DC teams and players are 'nobodies' as it was so nicely pointed out in this thread, so there can be a hope that majority of people will come to watch tennis actually.

justine schnyder
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
The crowd should not have been mocking Sharapova's grunting.
But Peer didn't start it or encouraged it. She just laughed. So did I. It was funny.
The chair should have given a warning, then a point penalty.
Agree

so what was the crowd?:tape:
Part of the crowd was people who don't care about tennis, just wanted to see Sharpova

Please stop making threads about Israel-Russia tie! This man that blame Shahar= sh*t in Israel nobody respect him or his opinion...

Yep..

Renaissance
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
What Erlich might have meant is that lots of non tennis-people went to the Fed Cup tie because of the glamour Sharapova celebrity and Peer popularity. This tie was very attractive,Sharapova doesn't often come to Tel Aviv.
Next week it will be different,not great and popular players on both side, people who is coming there must love tennis so much.

justine schnyder
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
What Erlich might have meant is that lots of non tennis-people went to the Fed Cup tie because of the glamour Sharapova celebrity and Peer popularity. This tie was very attractive,Sharapova doesn't often come to Tel Aviv.
Next week it will be different,not great and popular players on both side, people who is coming there must love tennis so much.

That;s what he meant ;)

xan
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Well said, Mr Gilady. :worship:

The crowd crossed the line with their unsporting barracking of Russian players, and Shahar should not have given that any sort of encouragement. Israeli tennis Association should take note.

meyerpl
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:25 AM
This reminds me of the time Myskina got pissed off at the crowd in Paris in '04 and started throwing coins, batteries and whiskey bottles at the crowd. Goddamn I miss that girl!