maumau
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Donít be a smart ass or someone will kick your ass.o(∩_∩)o

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Very funny, indeed :rolleyes:

TheAllan
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
John McCain supporters partying ahead of Tuesday's deciding primaries.

ce
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
:rolleyes:
:spit:
awful

hablo
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Maria Croft
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Is this serious?! If so then OMFG :o :tape:

Effy
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
:weirdo:

Willam
Feb 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Spain :rocker2:

new-york
Feb 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
out of context you don't really feel like rollin', looking at the pic.

but oh well, i guess.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
the Spanish once against showing their racist side :rolleyes:

Ballbasher
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
It's just a joke come on :lol:
But is Medina the one between Suarez and Llagostera or the one next to Lourdes ? :tape:

Uranium
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Let's look at the positives:
Medina looks hot:inlove:

QuicKyMonSter
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Oh c'mon they're not making fun of them..? It's more like a ..."here we go, China"...to me :shrug:
People need to calm down a bit and stop over-reacting :o

dybbuk
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Come on, stop with the racist crap and stop overreacting. :help:

davidmario
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Oh c'mon they're not making fun of them..? It's more like a ..."here we go, China"...to me :shrug:
People need to calm down a bit and stop over-reacting :o

I think so too;) It's like they are saying "We are happy to have a clash with the chinese".

ImaVeggie
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
So if they were playing the USA, what would they be doing? Or France, Israel, Serbia, etc. I think it's offensive. I'd love to hear from some Chinese people on here.

iPatty
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

I can't wait for China to beat them 5-0. I have just lost respect for everyone in this picture.

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Whatever, people here are so sensitive:rolleyes:

Hachiko
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Kinda strikes me as racist. I mean it's not even slightly funny.

LeRoy.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
OMG is this for real ? :o :help:
Classless.

ImaVeggie
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Whatever, people here are so sensitive:rolleyes:

No, not SO sensitive... just sensitive to the feelings of others.

NicolŠs89
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Thats kind of racist but not really hurtful.

Drake1980
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Are they playing China next?:eek::eek::eek:

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:15 AM
No, not SO sensitive... just sensitive to the feelings of others. I don't think chinese find that hurtful :shrug: , it's just a characteristic of their looks, should they be ashamed of how they look?

dulkogii
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Spain

Ellery
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I don't think chinese find that hurtful :shrug: , it's just a characteristic of their looks, should they be ashamed of how they look?

True, it is a physical characteristic. However, East Asians' eyes (and I don't want to use the term slanted because I know it has pejorative connotations) is one of those things that Asians often get made fun for :rolleyes: I don't think these people in the picture meant to insult the Chinese, but it just kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially because I like most of the Spaniard players. I guess I would qualify this as more thoughtless and classless than truly offensive however.

Sonf@
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I don't think chinese find that hurtful :shrug: , it's just a characteristic of their looks, should they be ashamed of how they look?

ditto ;)

would've been worse had they painted their skin yellow

iPatty
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM
That would be like if the Chinese team decided to pour dirt all over themselves and grow massive amounts of body hair.

I am sure all of the Spanish fans here would find that offensive. :rolleyes:

Willam
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Cmon guys..

I find this more like "China, You're Next"

Or "China, Here We Come"

This isnt racist at all :shrug:

Sonf@
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:47 AM
That would be like if the Chinese team decided to pour dirt all over themselves and grow massive amounts of body hair.

I am sure all of the Spanish fans here would find that offensive. :rolleyes:

i think that's an unfair comparison

it's intention what counts, not the reaction. in this case they didn't do it with bad intention. as posted earlier, it was just a way to say "china, here we go!", which was probably a reaction (damn i repeat myself too much) after their win against italy which was a huge one indeed.

anyway, i don't think we spaniards are known abroad for those things you said. a fair comparison would be the chinese team dressed on flamenco's dresses yelling "spain, here we go, olé!"

that said, i think that some people lose too much time searching for the bitter thing instead of just enjoying the moment. after all is not like they scornt them.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:49 AM
True, it is a physical characteristic. However, East Asians' eyes (and I don't want to use the term slanted because I know it has pejorative connotations) is one of those things that Asians often get made fun for :rolleyes: I don't think these people in the picture meant to insult the Chinese, but it just kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially because I like most of the Spaniard players. I guess I would qualify this as more thoughtless and classless than truly offensive however.

I totally agree with you

after what Spanish F1 fans did to Lewis Hamilton they should be careful, the Spanish are quickly gaining a bad reputation-even worse than the bloody French :p

iPatty
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:56 AM
i think that's an unfair comparison

it's intention what counts, not the reaction. in this case they didn't do it with bad intention. as posted earlier, it was just a way to say "china, here we go!", which was probably a reaction (damn i repeat myself too much) after their win against italy which was a huge one indeed.

anyway, i don't think we spaniards are known abroad for those things you said. a fair comparison would be the chinese team dressed on flamenco's dresses yelling "spain, here we go, olť!"

that said, i think that some people lose too much time searching for the bitter thing instead of just enjoying the moment. after all is not like they scornt them.

People stretch their eyes like that to make fun of Chinese people.

If they wanted to say "China, here we go!" then they could have just written it, not perform an action that is commonly accepted as an act of racism.

Sonf@
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:02 AM

If they wanted to say "China, here we go!" then they could have just written it, not perform an action that is commonly accepted as an act of racism.

oh yeah, they could've built a huge banner held with sticks in the middle of the restaurant they were having dinner at and write with large red capital letters "CHINA, HERE WE GO!" and stand with it in front of their table with neutral faces just staring at the camera in order to avoid the critics of some posters from a forum they hardly read :p

i'm pretty sure that was the first thing they though of ;)

mankind
Feb 6th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Holy shit. What the fuck were they thinking?

arn
Feb 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
If this is a racist act I can sum up thousands of other racists acts :rolleyes: And people are surprised there is so much intolerance in the world :rolleyes:

gotthebend
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Amen to that! Slash\\\Slash///

If they were making fun of Jewish people's nose. everyone in the Western world would've screamed RACIST already.:shrug:

They remind me of some stupid football fans at La Liga(?) mocking Black footballers.
Stop Racism. We need this slogan in Tennis as well.

lympyisthebest
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I'm Chinese, maybe they did mean "China, here we come", who knows. But regardless of context, I don't find it funny but find it hurtful when people do that.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
i can't believe how racist they are, i hate them!!! :shout:

Chunchun
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Another classless and arrogant race of human beings :o

Renaissance
Feb 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
What a joke... it's childish and barbaric.

For sure to make joke like that, they often don't see asian people in their dead-and-alive hole in Spain.

JonBcn
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Aside from whether it's explicitly meant to be racist or not, it's definitely something that can be offensive to people, and the Spanish players - world weary citizens that they are - and politicians in the photo should have been aware of that before being so happily snapped mocking the appearance of the Chinese.

Here's an interesting article from the BBC today on the issue of racism in Spanish sport:

Spain struggles to tackle sport racism
By Danny Wood
BBC News, Madrid

Racism is an issue in Spanish sport and reflects attitudes held in wider Spanish society.

However, cases of serious discrimination or violence based on race seem no more prevalent in Spain than in other western European countries.
Where it is possible to point the finger at Spain is for its wide tolerance for less extreme forms of racism - like using race as a way to hurl insults or make fun of someone. The racist taunting of Lewis Hamilton is just the latest high-profile example.

'Acceptable' abuse
Four years ago, British football players Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole were the target of monkey chants from Spanish fans during an international friendly in Madrid. British fans were outraged, but for many Spanish fans this is seen as an acceptable way of abusing the opposition. It regularly occurs in Spanish league games.

That incident followed Spanish national football coach Luis Aragones making abusive racist comments about French striker Thierry Henry. You could imagine that sort of incident in Britain leading to the resignation of the national football coach - not in Spain. The Spanish Football Federation was very slow to take action, but did eventually end up fining Aragones. The Spanish press reacted, but not with much of a sense of outrage.

The decision by a small group of fans to paint themselves black and taunt Lewis Hamilton with racist abuse at the Formula One circuit in Barcelona was denounced by Spain's sporting authorities. But there is a definite sense among sports followers here that the British press is exaggerating an incident that could have happened anywhere to suit an anti-Alonso bias.
Spain's Fernando Alonso and Hamilton are two former team-mates who rowed publicly last season.

And Spanish sports fans - through their comments posted on news websites - often seem to condemn and excuse the abuse at the same time, seeing it not so much as racism but as bad taste in the context of a fierce sporting rivalry.

'Lamentable insults'
Jaime Martin edits the Formula One section of Marca, Spain's biggest selling sports newspaper. ''It's been exaggerated in the news reports a bit. It was only four or five people who were dong this in the context of the competition between Alonso and Lewis," he says.
"It's certain that the insults were racist, but if Lewis was bald the insults would have related to his baldness."
Like Mr Martin, many Spaniards do not see much difference between racist insults based on the colour of someone's skin and other forms of verbal abuse.
''These sorts of racist insults are lamentable and racist insults need to be eradicated, and so do non-racist forms of abuse" says Mr Martin.

On the website of national newspaper El Pais the racism directed at Lewis Hamilton is confronted in a sideways manner. A survey asks readers whether they think there should be more control of the signs and placards people bring to motor racing events. The majority say yes, but a British audience would probably see a survey on placard control after an incident like this as rather missing the main point.

British society has much less tolerance for this form of racism than Spanish society does, and there is a consciousness about race-related issues in the UK that does not exist in Spain. After many decades of immigration, and with it a certain amount of experience on race issues, British society is generally much more sophisticated and sensitive about race - although there are clearly still serious problems.
Spain is just starting along that same road. Until the death of dictator General Franco in 1975, migration to Spain was virtually non-existent.

During the last decade the population of migrants - among them Latin Americans and Africans - has risen by more than 400% to about five million.

For any society, even Spain, which has a reputation for being generally open and friendly to foreigners, that is a big adjustment.

Isabel Martinez is spokesperson for SOS Racism in Barcelona. She says: "Immigration has been a part of British society for much longer, here it is a newer phenomenon - although that is not an excuse."
"The things that happens on a football field or in motor racing are a reflection of the reality of day-to-day life in Spain."
Ms Martinez thinks the more attention that is focused on Spain's racism problem the better. Anti-racism groups are concerned that unless education programs are introduced in schools, sport and the workplace, current insensitive attitudes to race could contribute to serious social problems. "What we should do is learn from that experience in Britain and use it as an example," says Ms Martinez. "It's not too late."

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I have to agree that there have been some issues in Spain about racism. I remember I saw in the news how someone was hitting a southamerican girl( I don't remember if she was colombian or from bolivia) in a subway. Okay, we can't blame the entire spanish population but that kind of thing happens in their country from time to time.

Elwin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
:haha:

+/-
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It's offensive and the supposedly humorous gesture is very outdated. WOW 18th Century here we come!:rolleyes:

If they had those pointy triangular hats I'm sure they would use those as well.

I'm sorry it's more cringe-worthy than funny. :tape:

JonBcn
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have to agree that there have been some issues in Spain about racism. I remember I saw in the news how someone was hitting a southamerican girl( I don't remember if she was colombian or from bolivia) in a subway. Okay, we can't blame the entire spanish population but that kind of thing happens in their country from time to time.

^ I think the girl in question was Ecuadorian. I've lived all over Europe and I have to say that Spain is not one of the most racist places I've been. Overt racism, disrimination based on the colour of skin, and racist violence are not nearly as common as in some other countries. The problem is that behaviour such as that in the photo, and by the (few) Alonso fans, is seen as a bit of a laugh here, and the reporting of it was more to comment on the percieved 'over-reaction' of the British press...

Martian KC
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Whatever intentions they had, I still find it ridiculous. If it was meant as a joke, it's sooo overdone and not funny to begin with.

Nederlander RUS
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
c'mon it's not offensive... look at Shahar's conduct :)

xan
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Not good.

Spanish grand Prix crowd has just been in the news for barracking a black British driver while practising. Now this.

QuicKyMonSter
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Well I'm sorry but I do not consider it an act of racism at all :help:
You might be forgetting that people from other countries have different cultures and habits and do not think the same as you do.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have thought twice before making what you call an act of racism? Publicly?

mariahdg
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
seriously to say not funny
I show this pic to my mom,she want to suspend my isp-account.:scared:

propi
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Don't mix things...
The F1 sh*t came from stupid people who had no idea of what it was before Alonso won anything, they're not F1 fans and who are bitter at the McLaren issue last year, they're just like English hooligans and should be banned from access to GP.

I don't think Spanish girls did that as provocation.
If you want to see racism in that act you will see it, as you will see it in your everyday life if you pay a bit of attention...

Ksenia.
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
if they really find it funny... then they should meet a doctor b/c it's mental abnormality :)

pancake
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Not funny at all. But I won't say it's rasicm, just plain stupid, childish and classless. However, they may only do it privately or for their own fun but somehow the photo leaks out, if so then I think it's probably ok.
And I can't see how it means 'China! Here we go!' or sth similar, as a Chinese I find it not a respectful thing.
Don't tell me the 'you're sensitive' bs as well, we all know when it comes to rasicm it's always sensitive, we are all responsible for how we act if it related to other countries' culture, their physical features etc. You find it unharmful because you're not fully aware of how we Chinese think, as you say we have different physical features, yes we do, and we may even have different thoughts about such things, like what they are doing in the picture. Therefore I won't say it's rasicm because I don't believe it's their intention but being unaware of how we think on the photo indicates to me they don't show enough respect.

raquel
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I doubt the players are hardline racists or anything however, this just wasn't funny and very ill-advised to say the least. If this was the idea of any of the suits from the Federation then they just made everyone look bad.

[S@nti]
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'm just getting sick of these "racist acts" ... it is like people need to see racist behaviours everywhere. Get over it. It was a stupid thing they just did for a photo.

[S@nti]
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
and btw when people come to Spain (chinese people too) they usually take photos and joke with our supposedly "typical" things. It is not funny nor racist. Just something stupid people do.

Neptune
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
;12456893']I'm just getting sick of these "racist acts" ... it is like people need to see racist behaviours everywhere. Get over it. It was a stupid thing they just did for a photo.

Exactly.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Spanish can make as provocations as they want... China will crush them 5-0 and I will laugh so much :lol: (and Im spanish, but I dont follow spanish players just because Im spanish too... I just follow players I like to watch :D And I love the way the chinese players play :drool: They are so cute too :hug: )

Hope China wins 5-0 :hearts: :drool:

dybbuk
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
;12456893']I'm just getting sick of these "racist acts" ... it is like people need to see racist behaviours everywhere. Get over it. It was a stupid thing they just did for a photo.

Thank you. Stupid, yes, but if people really think it's racist, then they obviously have no idea what racism actually is.

[S@nti]
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Spanish can make as provocations as they want... China will crush them 5-0 and I will laugh so much :lol: (and Im spanish, but I dont follow spanish players just because Im spanish too... I just follow players I like to watch :D And I love the way the chinese players play :drool: They are so cute too :hug: )

Hope China wins 5-0 :hearts: :drool:

I hope after they win they'll dance some flamenco.. so we can start all over again :p

New_balls_please
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
come on.... it's just a funny and inocent pic :rolleyes:

Where do you see some signs of rasism? :o

SUPER
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
C'mon, maybe the problem is that some people here think that to have those eyes is subject of shame for chinese people, and when people reminds them, they're embarrased. C'mon, those eyes, asian people are proud of, so that is no racism at all.
If they were going to play against france and the photo were biting some croissants, would it be racist??:o:o

C.MARTINEZ
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
If they were going to play against france and the photo were biting some croissants, would it be racist??:o:o

Completeley agree with you, this photo is only a joke, and it wasn´t deliberate. Moreover, (in general) spanish people is less racist than many others because in Spain there are a lot of different cultures...and we are used to living with them.

lympyisthebest
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I guess some people here just don't understand how offensive that is to Chinese people. I remember that sort of thing happened in primary school. People shouldn't do that anymore, joke or not.

[S@nti]
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I guess some people here just don't understand how offensive that is to Chinese people. I remember that sort of thing happened in primary school. People shouldn't do that anymore, joke or not.

yep. that's right. They DIDN'T KNOW. So you can't say this is racism.
Omg guys, what are you? 5 yeard old children? :help:

[S@nti]
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
and btw Spain is probably one of the countries with the most advanced laws in terms of equality. Stop the drama.

Caz
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
While the photo seems suprisingly thoughtless, considering the people involved are well travelled and so should be reasonably aware of other cultures, I seriously doubt any of them would pose for a photo being intentionally racist - that would just be plain stupid considering the bad press it would bring them. Although it's not something that I would consider amusing, I don't believe they intended to cause any harm by it, so, as others have said, I don't think it's racist, to me, it just shows a big cultural misunderstanding on their part. I'm sure if they had been aware that the photo would offend people, they would never have posed for it.

ImaVeggie
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm Chinese, maybe they did mean "China, here we come", who knows. But regardless of context, I don't find it funny but find it hurtful when people do that.

I feel that if this photo is hurtful to someone who is Chinese, that is all that matters.

slamchamp
Feb 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
;12457925']and btw Spain is probably one of the countries with the most advanced laws in terms of equality. Stop the drama.
I agree with you with everything you said, but you have to admit that Spain is a country in where racism happens quite frequently (e.g: south americans)

sundoulos
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I am of Chinese descent born and raised in the USA. I remember being teased and joked about being a "ching-chong" Chinaman while they pulled their eyes like the Spanish team did. This gesture has always been understood as derogatory no matter in what context. I don't know who's idea it was to posed like this, or they were prompted by the photographers to do something funny, but in this day and age you expect even "stupid" athletes to know better, but I guess not. I'm a fan of Vivi, but it was good I didn't see her in the photo (I think she wasn't in the photo), otherwise, I would be extremely disappointed.

Alvarillo
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM
oh my god i can't believe that there are people who think that this is made in order to fault chinese people, if you really think this .... you are ...... RIDICULOUS!

of course they are showing their happiness about that they are going to China and decided to make this, is the same if the chinese make a picture dancing sevillanas or imitating the fight between a bull and a bullfighter ....

it's a tipical and stupid picture to celebrate their happiness not to make fun of anyone ....

please relax... some people stay so many hours in wtaworld .... :scared:

Alvarillo
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
by the way, i spent the last 5 months in Warsaw as an erasmus student and i met several people from Taiwan, China and Singapour.
and i took a picture with some of them in the same way as the spanish players did, in a party, and it was funny, no one complained and everyone laughed .....

am i racist????
i can't stand people who has never gone out from their fucking computer and blame about one video or picture who appears on tv or in the internet, to say that a country is racist u have to go there, experience it and then, if so, tell it.

In Madrid for example, thousands and thousands of foreign people from S. America, Asia or Europe live here and everyone is in peace and respect each other, as EVERYWHERE there are some small and crazy people who make stupid things, but not just to black or asian people if not against gays or homeless, just DIFFERENT people.

I'm gay, i'm DIFFERENT and this city is the best in the world to live in for us and i just can't stand people who speak without knowledge, just throught the tv. WAKE UP, TRAVEL, GET IN TOUCH!

mankind
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:52 AM
What dumb fucks in that photo :lol:

slamchamp
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM
by the way, i spent the last 5 months in Warsaw as an erasmus student and i met several people from Taiwan, China and Singapour.
and i took a picture with some of them in the same way as the spanish players did, in a party, and it was funny, no one complained and everyone laughed .....

am i racist????
i can't stand people who has never gone out from their fucking computer and blame about one video or picture who appears on tv or in the internet, to say that a country is racist u have to go there, experience it and then, if so, tell it.

In Madrid for example, thousands and thousands of foreign people from S. America, Asia or Europe live here and everyone is in peace and respect each other, as EVERYWHERE there are some small and crazy people who make stupid things, but not just to black or asian people if not against gays or homeless, just DIFFERENT people.

I'm gay, i'm DIFFERENT and this city is the best in the world to live in for us and i just can't stand people who speak without knowledge, just throught the tv. WAKE UP, TRAVEL, GET IN TOUCH!
Not always

iPatty
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM
If they walked up to a Chinese person on the street and did that I am sure it would not be perceived as a joke.

It is funny to me that the only people that do not find this highly offensive are the Spanish posters on the board. Honestly, how oblivious can you get?

Alvarillo
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
If they walked up to a Chinese person on the street and did that I am sure it would not be perceived as a joke.

It is funny to me that the only people that do not find this highly offensive are the Spanish posters on the board. Honestly, how oblivious can you get?

i did the same some weeks ago in a party with people from taiwan, China and Singapour and everything was funny and everyone was laughing so i don't see the problem.
in fact, some of the asians did the same ...... so i think i can speak about that .... and also in fact one girl and one boy from TAIPEI, Taiwan, spent Christmas time at my home in Madrid. am i racist too because i took the same picture??? but at the same time i host 2 asians in my house for 2 weeks?¿?¿? no sense there ..... WAKE UP!

an please don't lie and read all the post .... not just us think this, but this forum is full of DRAMAQUEENS like u :kiss: , everything is always in the bad direction, never just as a joke .... unveliable :sad:

Alvarillo
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Not always

tell me the place where it's possible

Dave.
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Considering how the world is today, they shouldn't have done it.

But this is not racism. I'm sure the Spanish team were just having a laugh and were not intending to offend anyone.

Talita Kumi
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Alvarillo, do you remember that word "SUDACA" :rolleyes:

Alvarillo
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Anyway i'm not going to lose my time with dramaqueens
just say that some people need some sense of humour and watch the life from another point of view, if not, poor sad lifes!

If Spain is sooooooooooo racist:
we wouldn't recieve thousands and thousands of inmigrants who elect this country to live and work in
we wouldn't recieve tourist as we are the 2nd most visited country in the world
or for example not such an amount of european exchange students would elect spanish cities as their cities for program exchange students, madrid is the city who hosts more ERASMUS students in Europe, more than 4000 in the fall semester 07/08

if we were a dangerous and racist country this wouldn't happen, open the door, travel and finish with this fucking wrong ideas

byebye

Medina
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM
lets all have a cry. Fuck stop being so sensitive.. Its more of a China your next gesture..

Honestly as if we havnt done it once before. Why should be offensive..

God some people in Wta World are such idiots

Harvs
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM
i dont think people who arent asian can say whether this its offensive or not... u wouldnt no because it doesnt affect you or mean anything to your race or culture... if that makes sense?

WSfan
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I don't think it's an act of racism... as an asian person myself I find it offensive. Some people say they've done it in parties with people they know who are asian. Totally different since you know these persons in a personal level. I just think it was a dumb part on them to pose like that, especially since they should've known the picture was going to be shown worldwide.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
It's not a racism. But it's a dumb joke and coming from professional athletes who compete on the international arena it's getting even dumber.

Alberto
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM
all of you are so dramatic for this silly thing... :o

Williamsser
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Is Rafael Nadal racist?

Sonf@
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM
seriously, as caz and some other people here said: do you really think that they would've posed like that if they knew everyone would find it racist towards chinese people???

to talk about lack of cultural information you should check yours aswell

for example: you keep talking about how racists people in spain are. do you think that spain is the epicentre of racism? do you think that there's no racism at all in every other country? I'm not trying to use nationalism as a defense because it's not appropiate here and I'm not putting spain above any other country, just at the same level. don't you think that there's racism everywhere?

the problem is the generalization you seem to have taken as a path of glory. now the spanish girls (in tennis) made a maybe (or maybe not) disrespectful gesture to the chinese players and you start yelling at spanish people (in general) as being racists and you claim that you won't ever come to our country and that you hate them and also us and oh-fuck-i-won't-continue-with-this-shit... don't you think that now you are the racist people here?

of course chinese people have every right to have their feelings hurt for the photo since it's an ecstatic position that doesn't reveal any information of where, when or how the pic was taken. i think they have every right to have their feelings hurt because of that but i don't think it's a real big deal. it shouldn't be put out of context. frankly, there are waaaaaaay bigger problems with racism than that stupid thing.

here in spain the problem with racism is not caused by everyone. as in every other country, it's some minorities (skinheads, etc) the people that cause it instead. and i reject to be taken as one of those (since some people here talked about spanish people in general i'll defend ourselves like that). the same goes for the alonso issue. just because fernando alonso's increasing popularity created a big bunch of hooligan fans that have no idea of F1 (they just follow him for being spanish and won't ever follow F1 again when he retires) and they act as wild animals... well, that doesn't put the girls on the same category. the same could be said using nadal as an example. or even kournikova: how many people started following tennis just because of her looks?

the boy hitting a south-american girl: well that's the same story. a brainless idiot that seems to belong to a skin-head organization goes to the subway, finds a girl sat in front of him and maybe to avoid suspections starts using his cell-phone (i don't know about every place's metros, but I've never got mobile coverage when travelling on it :lol: ). then he touches her breasts and the girl, who is terrorized, doesn't move an eyelash. he would had probably waited for a reaction from the girl but since he didn't get one, he got even more furious and started yelling at her and kicked her face. an anonymous person recorded it with his/her mobile phone and uploaded on youtube (that seemed akward too but oh well). when the video was made public every press medium noted it, nearly everyone in spain condemned the act and the fucking boy and he just said that he was drunk and that he didn't know what he was doing.

so no, i don't think it's fair that you put anabel nuria lourdes carla and the spanish staff in the same category. and i would defend the chinese girls if they were in the opposite situation, so no, i'm not defending the spanish girls for being spanish or for being a fan.

as i said: i wouldn't find disrespectful at all if chinese players dressed in flamenco costumes and yelled in a pic "here we go, spain, olť!". it just would show a lack of information from them but come on! it's not that a big deal and no way would it be racism, at least i wouldn't consider it like that. (the "spanish cover themselves with dirt and let their body hair grow massively" is indeed a racist opinion since that poster seems to have no fucking idea. not even a lack of information. it's just a lack of brain)

maybe they should've thought a little bit before taking that photo (but you don't think about that when doing it, if not this would be a perfect world) but you should've also thought before typing rubbish because at some stage the same critics you keep adding here could be used to criticize you because it wouldn't make much difference.

pancake
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
We think including myself, several Chinese people have already said that we all(or almost all) agree it's not racism, but it's stupid to take such picture because it causes uneasy feeling for us.
However, the people in the picture don't represent the whole Spain. So people here should do them justice and please don't say every Spanish is racist because I don't believe there is such a case.

the jamierbelyea
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Like many people have said, this is a common joke 5 year olds make to make fun of each other. I think it's tasteless and classless, culture awareness or not. They are exagerrating a physical characterisitc that Chinese (and many East Asians for that matter) are known for, and mocking it.

Jokingly or not, these ladies are supposed to be professionals representing the game and the tour, and I think this is a poor representation. They should know better, they've traveled the world you know.

The test to see if this was really appropriate, if they were IN China or the Chinese team were near them would they do this? Probably not? So, I don't think its appropriate.

slamchamp
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Alvarillo, do you remember that word "SUDACA" :rolleyes:
that's what I was thinking about, we have european descendence but they have the need to call us SUDACAS:rolleyes: (not always though)

Sonf@
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
do you both think that the word "sudaca" was created by alvarillo? :p

AlexBarrington
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
surely not nice, but neither racist, c'mon!

Talita Kumi
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
do you both think that the word "sudaca" was created by alvarillo? :p

no, but was created in España :rolleyes:

Sonf@
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:35 PM
and why do you ask him about the word? it's like it's his fault or something

gotthebend
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Just because they don't mean it in a harmful way, doesn't mean that their act isn't harmful to certain people. You can't always get free pass for mistakes made unintentionally or repeatedly.:scratch:

Careless they might be, but we've seen or heard of this "carelessness" excuse brought up for how many times?.Maybe people should just develop proper awareness for subjects sensitive, no?

Talita Kumi
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
and why do you ask him about the word? it's like it's his fault or something

no, but he say this :rolleyes:

In Madrid for example, thousands and thousands of foreign people from S. America, Asia or Europe live here and everyone is in peace and respect each other,

LadyLil
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Is Rafael Nadal racist?

Rafa participated in an anti racism campaign in Spain last year.

Sonf@
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
no, but he say this :rolleyes:

and so what?

i don't think he used the word "sudaca" there. I also don't think that "S.America" means "sudaca" since it really means "South America" so i don't see the relation between what he said and what you claim

Talita Kumi
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
and so what?

i don't think he used the word "sudaca" there. I also don't think that "S.America" means "sudaca" since it really means "South America" so i don't see the relation between what he said and what you claim

OK :rolleyes:

sundoulos
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I don't see the photo that began this thread anymore, or is it my computer. Just to follow-up did the Spanish team make any statements regarding the photo, or are we the only ones in this thread reacting to it? :confused:

propi
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
They shouldn't have done it, it's pretty clear, as remarked before if they had known about all the fuss (here in wtaworld and we know how wtaworld posters are, because I haven't seen any type of reaction out from here) they wouldn't have done.
It's licit to see it from the Chinese point of view, but in Spain that gesture isn't despective at all nor has any negative connotation.
It's the same that happened to a friend of mine the first time he went to UK... in an Italian restaurant he asked for 2 pizzas and since his English wasn't fluid at all he ordered them and at the same time he made a gesture that results pretty errr "unpolite" (that means F*** you) with his index and heart fingers. The waiter quickly told him never to do it again and that friend just blushed and ask for pardon several times during the rest of the dinner...

JonBcn
Feb 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think a measure of how the people involved never would have imagined that it would be percieved in this way is that the Spanish Federation published the same picture tonight in their newsletter...

[S@nti]
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
and so what?

lol so true... well I'm glag I learnt something new today. The term "South America" has racist connotations .... :o :lol:

tenn_ace
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
pathetic, Spanish team. totally classles and now I hope they lose very badly.

maumau
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:22 AM
ITF should punish spanish team and federation

switz
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM
out of context it looks bad. i doubt very much they that were trying to make a racist jibe although they should be smarter in the ultra political correct world we live in.

Sonf@
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
OH YEAH! ZEUS SHOULD COME DOWN AND PUNISH THEM WITH HIS THUNDEROUS POWER!!!!! :p

Just Do It
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Is this for real :spit:

Nederlander RUS
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
sonfo, jajajajaja :)

rrfnpump
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. :o Its far from being racist, just a childish joke.

Still... Ha salido el tiro por la culata, spanish team.

Sonf@
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM

why? they haven't faced each other yet ;)

tenn_ace
Feb 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. :o Its far from being racist, just a childish joke.

well, it's not coming from children, is it? :scratch:

frontier
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Thats so racist,what a bunch of losers.Spain has a bad reputation as a very racist place,people of colour have been subjected to demeaning behaviour time and time again from soccer players and recent history to Lewis Hamilton.I am not surprised by this behaviour from the spanish,just typical.

Shively
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.rfet.es/imagenes/fotos/579_g.jpg

:spit: They're making fun of the chinese :lol:

How do you know they are not making fun of the North Koreans or South Koreans.. Maybe they are making fun of the Japanese? maybe they are just being goofy. I like how the real raciests like you go arround shoving your faces in any event to scour for signs of race and hate. Your kind are the REAL raciests.

Robert-KimClijst
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
This was during Fed Cup and Spain was against China. This is the Fed Cup team during dinner that night, so it's assumed it was of course at China. ;)

edificio
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
This Fed Cup photo shows cultural insensitivty on the part of the Spanish team. The Spanish Olympic basketball teams also exhibited this kind of cultural insensitivity in an ad (read about it) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/11/olympicsbasketball.olympics20081?loc=interstitials kip).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2730800671_449522790f_b.jpg In case the image doesn't work, you can see it here. (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2730800671_449522790f_b.jpg)(OK, I can't get the image to show, so you have to see it at the link.)

So...are we to believe that this kind of mocking of Chinese physical characteristics is common to Spanish athletes? While some people here are attempting to diminish this as nothing or justify it as humorous, it isn't very funny. This kind of joking just seems rude and disrespectful.

backslapu
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
OMG :lol::lol::lol:

Spanish basketball team does same thing!!!:lol::lol::lol:

FORZA SARITA
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:06 AM
How do you know they are not making fun of the North Koreans or South Koreans.. Maybe they are making fun of the Japanese? maybe they are just being goofy. I like how the real raciests like you go arround shoving your faces in any event to scour for signs of race and hate. Your kind are the REAL raciests.

maybe because they had to play against China?:weirdo:

$uricate
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Wow :weirdo:

Once again the Spanish show how racist they are.

Lewis Hamilton had to put up with racist abuse in Spain too, its always the same :rolleyes:

pittsburghsteely
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:15 AM
im trippng off tha black chic on the spanish womens basketball team doing that gesture, she must be some hard up and desperate african refugee they allowed to live in the country, because she tall and can hit some hoops

Randy_John_Andy
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
First of all, I donít think the Spanish teams are making any fun of the Chinese. I truly donít think that was their intention. Anyway, I think posing for such pictures was totally inappropriate and not funny at all. But there is a difference between inappropriate and disrespectful.

I am living in Spain, and I think it is rather unfair to say that Spanish society, as a whole, is racist. Iím totally sure that Spain is full of people who happen to be racists, but we can say the same about every single country in the world, since racism is one of the big prejudices we all have to fight against. It is also full of people who are not racists. Nonetheless, it is true, in my opinion, that sports associations tend to be quite vague when it comes to show their contempt towards acts that might affect other people. It has happened several times in the world of football, or even other sports. I donít understand why, but it seems itís quite common to insult the team yours is playing against, which is something I despise.

Having said that, I think Spain, as a lot of other countries in Europe, has naturally embraced immigrants who come from Africa and Latin America, and that should be taken into consideration as well.

Are there racists in Spain? Absolutely. Is this gesture inappropriate and out of place? Totally. Does it show that Spanish society is racist? I donít think so. Iím Spanish, and Iím convinced Iím not the only person who is not racist in this country.

Regards.

Chance
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Pathetic- I don't see how you can find those pics funny??

Lucemferre
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Funny? More like racist :help:

supergrunt
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I am struggling to see how this is not racist. Yes, Asian people do have "slanted" eyes but it is one of the characteristics that Asians (particularly Chinese for some reason) are made fun of for. I do not find it funny at all and I am sure all the Spanish posters who have attempted to defend both the tennis and basketball teams would be offended if Chinese athletes did something similar to mock them.

Lolo8
Aug 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
That woman Suarez Navarro should be the last person making fun of peoples looks with a face like hers.

drake3781
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM
It's the same that happened to a friend of mine the first time he went to UK... in an Italian restaurant he asked for 2 pizzas and since his English wasn't fluid at all he ordered them and at the same time he made a gesture that results pretty errr "unpolite" (that means F*** you) with his index and heart fingers. The waiter quickly told him never to do it again and that friend just blushed and ask for pardon several times during the rest of the dinner...

:tape: :lol:

First Post! Interesting when certain threads are the ones where many people had their First Post.

im trippng off tha black chic on the spanish womens basketball team doing that gesture, she must be some hard up and desperate african refugee they allowed to live in the country, because she tall and can hit some hoops

WTF? :weirdo:

First of all, I donít think the Spanish teams are making any fun of the Chinese. I truly donít think that was their intention. Anyway, I think posing for such pictures was totally inappropriate and not funny at all. But there is a difference between inappropriate and disrespectful.

I am living in Spain, and I think it is rather unfair to say that Spanish society, as a whole, is racist. Iím totally sure that Spain is full of people who happen to be racists, but we can say the same about every single country in the world, since racism is one of the big prejudices we all have to fight against. It is also full of people who are not racists. Nonetheless, it is true, in my opinion, that sports associations tend to be quite vague when it comes to show their contempt towards acts that might affect other people. It has happened several times in the world of football, or even other sports. I donít understand why, but it seems itís quite common to insult the team yours is playing against, which is something I despise.

Having said that, I think Spain, as a lot of other countries in Europe, has naturally embraced immigrants who come from Africa and Latin America, and that should be taken into consideration as well.

Are there racists in Spain? Absolutely. Is this gesture inappropriate and out of place? Totally. Does it show that Spanish society is racist? I donít think so. Iím Spanish, and Iím convinced Iím not the only person who is not racist in this country.

Regards.

Another First Post!

That woman Suarez Navarro should be the last person making fun of peoples looks with a face like hers.

Now we have people who want to hurt them back, get revenge. :rolleyes: You trade one problem of human nature for a different one. Sad, but you are probably a kid so maybe you will learn.

I wrote this in the same thread in Non-Tennis: I cannot see this as racist. I think we have to be very careful of naming things racist or we lose attention on true and serious problems of racism.

That being said, whether Spainards see this type of thing as a joke in the past, times have changed and it is time to become sensitive to other cultures. And these ladies are world travelers; they should already know better.

supergrunt
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Drake,how is this not racist or predjudiced?

drake3781
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Drake,how is this not racist or predjudiced?

Rather, how is it racist?

Prejudiced, maybe. Not sure that applies either.

I would go with culturally insensitive or words to that effect.

supergrunt
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Rather, how is it racist?

Prejudiced, maybe. Not sure that applies either.

I would go with culturally insensitive or words to that effect.

So if they put on Blackface like the old comedians in America used to do would you find that not racist either? I am not attacking you just curious.

Julian
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM

I guess spain has a weird sense of humor?? lol

$uricate
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM

:sobbing:

Why'd you have to go and bring Carla into this?! :fiery:

Carla Suarez Navarro is a beautiful person and a talented tennis player, she is worth ten of you!

drake3781
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
So if they put on Blackface like the old comedians in America used to do would you find that not racist either? I am not attacking you just curious.

If the action is not designed to display that race of the people doing it is superior to another race, then it's probably going to fall into the category of insensitive, hurtful, ignorant, etc.

I think it is reaching to paint these people as racist. That word seems to come to the tongue too easily, and I feel it is miused in this case. And as I said, I think painting this as racist detracts attention and action away from actual acts of racism, where we are obliged to speak out.

If you feel strongly about it, why don't you explain why you see it as truly racist, and not just insensitive. And before you do that, why don't you read the entire thread from start to finish. This is really not my battle to fight; I will fight battles that involve actual racism.

hingis-seles
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
The chick to Carla's left has nice tits.

That's about all value this pic has. I fail to see the humor.

supergrunt
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
If the action is not designed to display that race of the people doing it is superior to another race, then it's probably going to fall into the category of insensitive, hurtful, ignorant, etc.

I think it is reaching to paint these people as racist. That word seems to come to the tongue too easily, and I feel it is miused in this case. And as I said, I think painting this as racist detracts attention and action away from actual acts of racism, where we are obliged to speak out.

If you feel strongly about it, why don't you explain why you see it as truly racist, and not just insensitive. And before you do that, why don't you read the entire thread from start to finish. This is really not my battle to fight; I will fight battles that involve actual racism.

I think the only one misunderstandign the word is you. Here is one definition I found
ra·cism [ráy sìzzəm]
n (disapproving)
1. animosity toward other races: prejudice or animosity against people who belong to other races “I am a Muslim and … my religion makes me against all forms of racism.” Malcolm X Speech, Prospects for Freedom 1965

Call me sensitive but to me, slitting your eyes to mock Chinese people is predjudice and shows a form of animosity against Chinese people. Therefore it is racist.

spiceboy
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Call me sensitive but to me, slitting your eyes to mock Chinese people is predjudice and shows a form of animosity against Chinese people. Therefore it is racist.

That's the thing. Spaniards do not do that to mock Chinese people, I have repeated that countless times. But then, you are so self centered and narrow minded that still do not want to hear. You just have your own opinion and won't listen. Whatever. Think what you want. We do hate Chinese and we want them dead and buried. All of them. Is that racist enough for you? Is that what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying doing this was right or trying to justify it but there is definetely no hate in this, believe it or not.

Dodoboy.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
This Fed Cup photo shows cultural insensitivty on the part of the Spanish team. The Spanish Olympic basketball teams also exhibited this kind of cultural insensitivity in an ad (read about it) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/11/olympicsbasketball.olympics20081?loc=interstitials kip).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2730800671_449522790f_b.jpg In case the image doesn't work, you can see it here. (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2730800671_449522790f_b.jpg)(OK, I can't get the image to show, so you have to see it at the link.)

So...are we to believe that this kind of mocking of Chinese physical characteristics is common to Spanish athletes? While some people here are attempting to diminish this as nothing or justify it as humorous, it isn't very funny. This kind of joking just seems rude and disrespectful.

How insensitive, childish and classless.

To bad they won!

Dodoboy.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I love iPatty's post's on this thread :worship:

Every line is true!

spiceboy
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
To bad they won!

Take that, haters :devil:

Dodoboy.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Go Spain :rolleyes:

Optima
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Why would they even do it if they weren't making direct references to the different shape of another person's eyes? They're pointing out the differences between them and Chinese people. Seriously, who cares? Who cares if they look different, we're all humans :shrug: No need to do this sort of thing, seriously. Even if it is some "harmless" kids joke thing. Culturally unaware and not a classy thing to do.

supergrunt
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
That's the thing. Spaniards do not do that to mock Chinese people, I have repeated that countless times. But then, you are so self centered and narrow minded that still do not want to hear. You just have your own opinion and won't listen. Whatever. Think what you want. We do hate Chinese and we want them dead and buried. All of them. Is that racist enough for you? Is that what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying doing this was right or trying to justify it but there is definetely no hate in this, believe it or not.

Where did I say that Spanish people in general all hate Chinese people? Of course I do not believe that. Give me a bit more credit will you.And I am neither self-centered nor narrow minded for having my opinion. Do you even know what these words mean because they certainly do not apply to me?

propi
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
http://www.elmundo.es/jjoo/2008/blogs/dreamteam/index.html

José Manuel Calderón explains it all in his blog.
They were asked to do it from a sponsor; they thought it could be considered as a cute or affectionate gesture.
He insists on the lack of bad intentions about it and expresses his respect to Asia and his people.
Who else better than one of the authors himself.
No bad intentions, now it is up to you to keep on discussing or not, but the controversy is unreal.
Appropriate? of course a big NO

sundoulos
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:04 PM
(read about it) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/11/olympicsbasketball.olympics20081?loc=interstitials kip).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2730800671_449522790f_b.jpg

Anybody know who's idea to pose like this? Was it the same photographer as the Federation Cup Team? Usually it is the photographer who gives instructions on how to pose.

Who would have known that this old thread would resurrect during the Olympics? Now this tennis photo is all over the news and internet. LOL!

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I have a chinese eyes and I'm asian AND I'M NOT OFFENDED AND I FIND IT FUNNY!!!!
end of discussion.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Oh one more thing! Is'nt it hello kitty is being known and love by people around the world because of her cute eyes?

Dinayer
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
:lol:

Ellery
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Why would they even do it if they weren't making direct references to the different shape of another person's eyes? They're pointing out the differences between them and Chinese people. Seriously, who cares? Who cares if they look different, we're all humans :shrug: No need to do this sort of thing, seriously. Even if it is some "harmless" kids joke thing. Culturally unaware and not a classy thing to do.

Agreed.

LeonHart
Aug 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
i did the same some weeks ago in a party with people from taiwan, China and Singapour and everything was funny and everyone was laughing so i don't see the problem.
in fact, some of the asians did the same ...... so i think i can speak about that .... and also in fact one girl and one boy from TAIPEI, Taiwan, spent Christmas time at my home in Madrid. am i racist too because i took the same picture??? but at the same time i host 2 asians in my house for 2 weeks?Ņ?Ņ? no sense there ..... WAKE UP!

an please don't lie and read all the post .... not just us think this, but this forum is full of DRAMAQUEENS like u :kiss: , everything is always in the bad direction, never just as a joke .... unveliable :sad:

Just because they are "laughing" with you on the outside doesn't mean they are totally repulsed by you on the inside. They probably talked alot of smack behind you back :p

LeonHart
Aug 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Oh one more thing! Is'nt it hello kitty is being known and love by people around the world because of her cute eyes?

Umm...what does Hello Kitty have to do with any of this :lol:

Plus her eyes are just a big black dot, there's nothing asian about it.

LeonHart
Aug 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
seriously, as caz and some other people here said: do you really think that they would've posed like that if they knew everyone would find it racist towards chinese people???

to talk about lack of cultural information you should check yours aswell

for example: you keep talking about how racists people in spain are. do you think that spain is the epicentre of racism? do you think that there's no racism at all in every other country? I'm not trying to use nationalism as a defense because it's not appropiate here and I'm not putting spain above any other country, just at the same level. don't you think that there's racism everywhere?

the problem is the generalization you seem to have taken as a path of glory. now the spanish girls (in tennis) made a maybe (or maybe not) disrespectful gesture to the chinese players and you start yelling at spanish people (in general) as being racists and you claim that you won't ever come to our country and that you hate them and also us and oh-fuck-i-won't-continue-with-this-shit... don't you think that now you are the racist people here?

of course chinese people have every right to have their feelings hurt for the photo since it's an ecstatic position that doesn't reveal any information of where, when or how the pic was taken. i think they have every right to have their feelings hurt because of that but i don't think it's a real big deal. it shouldn't be put out of context. frankly, there are waaaaaaay bigger problems with racism than that stupid thing.

here in spain the problem with racism is not caused by everyone. as in every other country, it's some minorities (skinheads, etc) the people that cause it instead. and i reject to be taken as one of those (since some people here talked about spanish people in general i'll defend ourselves like that). the same goes for the alonso issue. just because fernando alonso's increasing popularity created a big bunch of hooligan fans that have no idea of F1 (they just follow him for being spanish and won't ever follow F1 again when he retires) and they act as wild animals... well, that doesn't put the girls on the same category. the same could be said using nadal as an example. or even kournikova: how many people started following tennis just because of her looks?

the boy hitting a south-american girl: well that's the same story. a brainless idiot that seems to belong to a skin-head organization goes to the subway, finds a girl sat in front of him and maybe to avoid suspections starts using his cell-phone (i don't know about every place's metros, but I've never got mobile coverage when travelling on it :lol: ). then he touches her breasts and the girl, who is terrorized, doesn't move an eyelash. he would had probably waited for a reaction from the girl but since he didn't get one, he got even more furious and started yelling at her and kicked her face. an anonymous person recorded it with his/her mobile phone and uploaded on youtube (that seemed akward too but oh well). when the video was made public every press medium noted it, nearly everyone in spain condemned the act and the fucking boy and he just said that he was drunk and that he didn't know what he was doing.

so no, i don't think it's fair that you put anabel nuria lourdes carla and the spanish staff in the same category. and i would defend the chinese girls if they were in the opposite situation, so no, i'm not defending the spanish girls for being spanish or for being a fan.

as i said: i wouldn't find disrespectful at all if chinese players dressed in flamenco costumes and yelled in a pic "here we go, spain, olť!". it just would show a lack of information from them but come on! it's not that a big deal and no way would it be racism, at least i wouldn't consider it like that. (the "spanish cover themselves with dirt and let their body hair grow massively" is indeed a racist opinion since that poster seems to have no fucking idea. not even a lack of information. it's just a lack of brain)

maybe they should've thought a little bit before taking that photo (but you don't think about that when doing it, if not this would be a perfect world) but you should've also thought before typing rubbish because at some stage the same critics you keep adding here could be used to criticize you because it wouldn't make much difference.

Just like I wouldn't be offended if you dressed up as a Ninja or some Chinese Farmer ;)

But people stretch out their eyes to deliberatly poke fun of how Asians look. I thought this was pretty standard knowledge.

Alvarillo
Aug 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Just because they are "laughing" with you on the outside doesn't mean they are totally repulsed by you on the inside. They probably talked alot of smack behind you back :p

no, in fact 2 taiwanese were my best friends there, and they came to my home in Madrid for christmas because Taipei was too expensive to go just for 2 weeks .... thay had confidence with me to tell me, and they didn't, so i don't think so ;)

Alvarillo
Aug 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Just like I wouldn't be offended if you dressed up as a Ninja or some Chinese Farmer ;)

But people stretch out their eyes to deliberatly poke fun of how Asians look. I thought this was pretty standard knowledge.

is not for that, but think whatever u want