PDA

View Full Version : All about San Diego (Acura Classic)

KaseyL
Jul 28th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Post here all about San Diego

Kim, the fifth seed, having a first round bye, is scheduled to play her 2nd round match on Tuesday, July 30.

She will face the winner of the Daniilidou- Gagliardi match.

tournament website: www.acuraclassic.com

Hawk
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Aww no! She's gonna play Daniilidou Tuesday morning. Eleni is one of my favorite players :( Oh well, I still have to go for Kim..she needs the victory more, she's gotta get her ranking back!

Cilla
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Oop for tuesday Acura Classic (San Diego): Kim plays her first doubles match with Jelena Dokic on court 11. It's the 4th match.

Pinkie
Jul 30th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Does anybody know what time Kim is playing her singles macth today?

By the way, so nice to see Corina Moriaru back on the tour. I can't believe she's back on court only a few months after beating leukemia.

Pinkie
Jul 30th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Not that I'm happy that LLeyton lost in the first round in Toronto, but do you think he'll go back to San Diego to support Kim? After all, he does have some time on his hands now.

Bigkimfan
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I hope so because Kim needs his support!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

ikke
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Maybe he will come to San Diego, but then he must fly al the way back to Cincinatti so...

angele87
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:47 PM
I hope he goes to San Diego because it's great seeing Lley support Kimmie!

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:16 AM
I read somewhere that Lleyton is playing doubles with Todd Woodbridge, so if that's right, he won't be at San Diego

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:38 AM
I just checked the draw and it looks like he's not playing, so he is possibly already there to watch Kim. She's playing doubles now. Current score: 6-7 6-4 4-4.

Hawk
Jul 31st, 2002, 01:49 AM
Unfortunatly Kim and Jelena just lost their doubles match. I think her first singles match must be tomorrow, they had on their site that it would be Tuesday morning but it obviously was not.

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:53 AM
Kim had a bye in the 1st round. The 2nd round starts on Wednesday

Elleke
Jul 31st, 2002, 02:07 AM
second rounds are also played today untitled2284 jann cap, jel dokic, ... :D but kim will indeed playing tomorrow.. better luck in singles :bounce:

Jul 31st, 2002, 05:02 AM
Well, it's 2pm on Wednesday here...sorry, I forgot about the time difference

Jul 31st, 2002, 05:11 AM
I just checked the website. It's the 2nd match on the stadium court on Wednesday (which is Thursday for me)

Mazza
Jul 31st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Good Luck today Kimmie!! :bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Jul 31st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Apparently, the later rounds will be shown on American television. I checked yahoo and the semi-finals will be on FSNY. Does anybody in the NY region know what channel that is? The final will be on ABC, I believe.

spiritfullfrog
Aug 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Kim defeated Elini Daniilidou 6/3 6/1

now she'll play Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria which will be the first game on Stadium Court and will start at 10am..their time

go kim!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Aug 1st, 2002, 07:53 AM
Well Done Kimsy :D :bounce: :bounce: Maggie Maleeva could be tough but Kim should get through it...GOOOO KIMMY!!!!:bounce:

Cilla
Aug 1st, 2002, 08:08 AM
http://www.acuraclassic.org/images/leftimages/clijsters.jpg

Second Round Singles

Kim Clijsters 6 6
Eleni Daniilidou1 3

Clijsters Cruises Into Third Round

Fifth-seeded Kim Clijsters of Belgium defeated Elini Daniilidou of Greece, 6-3, 6-1 in 61 minutes to advance to the third round of the 2002 Acura Classic.

With a 5-3 lead, Clijsters served out the first set at love. In the second set, Daniilidou served to stay in the match at 1-5, but Clijsters broke at love to win the match.

Clijsters will play 10th seeded Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria in the third round.

Brαm
Aug 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Kimmeke :kiss:

Well done! :bounce:

Now it's time for a repeat of last year's Leipzig final (Kim-Maggie 6-1 6-1 right?)!

:cool:

princess_sar
Aug 1st, 2002, 11:58 AM
Does any1 know if lleyton was there .at the match?

Pinkie
Aug 1st, 2002, 01:16 PM
Seems that Kim is on a tear. Let's hope she is not peaking too soon before the US Open. Did you hear about Hantuchova. Got a time violation on match poit and lost the match. That's harsh.:eek:

Bigkimfan
Aug 1st, 2002, 02:24 PM
Well done Kim!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck in your match against Maleeva!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Aug 1st, 2002, 05:03 PM
Well done Kim!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

!

Hawk
Aug 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
Just gonna update Kim's match against Maleeva..Kim just won the first set 6-3..Yay! Go Kim!!

Bigkimfan
Aug 1st, 2002, 07:23 PM
yes!!!

She won against maleeva: 6/3 6/3

:bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleyki
Aug 1st, 2002, 08:09 PM
Congrats Kimmie :bounce:

ßcoene
Aug 1st, 2002, 11:55 PM
Well done Kim. :D I knew you would beat Maleeva.

Now she has a much more difficult opponent. She will have to play very well if she is going to beat Venus. I believe she can beat Venus, she already has, I hope she can level their head-to-head 2-2.

:bounce: GO KIMMIE :bounce:

Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:48 AM
Kim vs. Venus. 2nd match on Friday (the 1st match is at 10:30, but no time is given for the 2nd)

Cilla
Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:20 AM
C'mon Kim!!:bounce: :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
GOOD LUCK KIM
YOU CAN DO IT

Bigkimfan
Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:14 AM
Kim has a very good chance to win, she just has go for every point!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Third Round Singles
Kim Clijsters
Magdalena Maleeva

6-3,6-3

It’s Quarterfinal Time For Clijsters

Fifth-seeded Kim Clijsters of Belgium advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2002 Acura Classic with a 6-3, 6-3 third-round victory over Bulgaria’s Magdalena Maleeva.

Clijsters won the first set in 29 minutes as she fought off two break points while serving for the set at 5-3.

In the second set, Maleeva broke Clijsters in the second game and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. But the Belgian recovered and captured six straight games to win the match.

Clijsters converted on 6 of 8 break point opportunities in the 62-minutes match.

Maleeva committed 31 unforced errors.

Bigkimfan
Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
Good luck kim!!!

You can do it!!!

Bigkimfan
Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:22 PM
Kim lost, 6/3 5/7 6/4!!!

You did a fine job kim, better next time!!!

Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:01 AM
Kim won the 2nd set. It was a much better result than last week.
US Open Kim's time to win?

Cilla
Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:06 AM
Shame that Kimmy lost but this proves that she is back to fitness and peaking at the right time for the USO :D. Final Result Venus Williams def Kim Clijsters 6-3,5-7,6-4

Well Played Kimmy!:bounce: :kiss:

budgirlbz
Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

it's ok...this loss only makes me excited about teh US Open...

hello everyone, did anyone see the game on t.v.?

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Hawk
Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:25 AM
Too bad Kim lost..but it was a great effort :D On a side note way to go Anna! Kournikova is doing great...with a couple of come from behind wins. It's nice to see her game is coming back.

Come-on-kim
Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Too bad Kim :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

You was so close!!!!!!!! Next Time I'm sure you'll win!!!:kiss: :hearts: :) :D :bounce: :wavey:

Cilla
Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Clijsters stretches Williams, Kournikova marches on
By Matthew Cronin

SAN DIEGO, California (Reuters) - Top seed Venus Williams was made to fight all the way before she eliminated Belgian Kim Clijsters 6-3 5-7 6-4 in the quarter-finals of the $750,000 Acura Classic.

Williams will now meet third-seeded fellow American Lindsay Davenport, a 6-1 6-1 winner over Japan's Ai Sugiyama. Unseeded Russian Anna Kournikova also reached the last four with a 1-6 6-3 6-4 victory over 12th seed Anna Smashnova of Israel.

In a rematch of last week's Bank of the West Classic final won 6-3 6-3 by Williams, fifth seed Clijsters was more ambitious. She charged the net, competed well in the rallies and threw up several winning top-spin lobs.

"If you start pushing the ball she is going to hit winners," said Clijsters. "You have to try to be aggressive and put her under pressure."

The Belgian took the second set when she clubbed a forehand down the line. The ball was called out but the umpire overruled.

Williams hit back in the third set, playing more consistently from the baseline and taking advantage of her 19-year-old opponent's erratic play.

Clijsters, who beat the world number two in the Hamburg final in May, let slip a 40-0 lead serving at 2-2 but replied by breaking straight back with a fine backhand down the line.

The 2001 French Open runner-up then committed a series of unforced errors and was broken again in the next game before Williams, bidding to win the title for the third year in a row, served out the match with a 122 mph ace, the fastest in the tournament.

MORE ERRORS

"We both played a lot better last week," said Williams. "There were a lot more errors in this match. Today I had trouble closing it out. I couldn't find the same game I had last week."

Clijsters disagreed, saying that her game was better. "Maybe on her side, but not on mine. Last week's score says it all," she said. "The atmosphere was great and I played much better (today)."

The Belgian believes she is catching Williams up. "I think so," she said. "I beat her at Hamburg and today was close. I'm a lot closer to her now than I was last year."

Btw Anna-I didn't see the game on TV here they only showed Cappy Vs Jelly :rolleyes:

Lleyki
Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Too bad Kimmie had to lose after such a close match!

Better luck next time kim :bounce:

ßcoene
Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Congrats Kim with your great fight, better luck next time.

KaseyL
Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks for posting the article, Cilla!

It's good to read that Kim considers herself as closing in on Venus. The right spirit!