PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olympic team

clonesheep
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
After the latest Fed Cup matches I think Sharapova has established herself as the leader of the Russian Olympic team for Beijing. This is quite a turn around, considering that she was on the fringe not long ago. Shamil Tarpischev is a genius in his persistent courting of Sharapova since last year. He knows Maria is a true contender who can bring home the medal, regardless of her motivation to play for Russia.

Anna Chakvetadze has also established herself as a strong member of the team who can step up to extraordinary circumstances when needed. As a plus, she gets along with Sharapova so team harmony is not a problem.

With the two singles spots filled by Maria and Anna, the situation becomes interesting. Kuznetsova definitely has to be included because of her high ranking and previous achievement. After that, there's not a clear 4th wheel.

Dementieva - Not in good condition and not sure she would want to be the 4th wheel with Sharapova as the leader. Has a cold relation with Maria in the past.

Safina - Has proven unreliable and mentally weak, and has not contributed much to Fed Cup.

Petrova - Not in good condition and known to be mentally weak at critical moments.

Kudryatseva, Vesnina, Dushevina, etc. - Not medal contender whatsoever.

I think this leaves Maria Kirilenko as the 4th wheel. This is a good choice because Maria K gets along with all other 3 members on the team. Moreover, Kirilenko has actually won a tournament in Beijing so she will feel home there. She can also pair up with Sharapova to play doubles, although I guess Tarpischev's plan is to have Chakvetadze+Vesnina.

Harvs
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
it goes by ranking? not by choice doesnt it???

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
...;12447026']it goes by ranking? not by choice doesnt it???

Exactly. By post-RG rankings. Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze are safe picks even now. Dementieva most probably will be the 4th player.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM
It will be Dementieva or Petrova, for sure. Too bad it's gotta be one or the other. Their potential Paris QF will speak volumes if it happens.

Sam L
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
It won't matter. It's Serena's turn to win it.

Only the greats have won the Gold medal recently: Graf, Capriati, Davenport, V.Williams and Henin.

Sharapova will have a better chance in London '12.

up!
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Capriati greater than Sharapova ??

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Capriati greater than Sharapova ??Of course not. You're responding to a lunatic.
On the mens side, all kinds of nonslam winners win gold medals.

Demska
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It will be Dementieva or Petrova, for sure. Too bad it's gotta be one or the other. Their potential Paris QF will speak volumes if it happens.

Maybe Kvitova will change nationality and play for Russia. :aparty:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
It won't matter. It's Serena's turn to win it.

Only the greats have won the Gold medal recently: Graf, Capriati, Davenport, V.Williams and Henin.

Sharapova will have a better chance in London '12.

Serena's turn to win it? I didn't know the WTA were polite enough to take it in turns. I hope you put a lot of money on this. A lot of money. Your money. :devil:

up!
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Serena is gonna withdraw anyway. She'll hurt her nails.

Russianboy
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Serena is gonna withdraw anyway. She'll hurt her nails.

:lol:

laurie
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It's amazing that Russia can have almost a supersquad - like those American basketball teams in the 1990s.

Doesn't mean they will the golds of course, but they are serious contenders.

Mightymirza
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Will Sharapova be able to play doubles?? Her doubles ranking is abysmal right??

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
They have plenty of doubles players. I hope Vera gets in for doubles. She won the USO and Wimbledon mixed.

Pushkin
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Sharapova-Kuzzy-Chakve and Elena V especially for doubles probably. Maybe Elena D. could sneak in depending on form.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
There's no Sharapova in doubles.

Pushkin
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Vesnina-Chakvetadze doubles probably or something like this. Anyhow that's far now let's concentrate on the US demolition coming in Moscow !

kaktusino
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Doubles can play Vesnina-Likhovtseva, Petrova-Kuznetsova.

And singles: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetade and Dementieva.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Zvonareva should be in doubles. And Safina. They won majors.
Although they don't get along to play together.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
ofcours Sharapova , Kuznetsova, Chakvetade

Pushkin
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Zvonareva and Safina are both too much of a headcase. Sure they have the talent and once in a while they can go deep but for the most part they can't be trusted. Especially at this Olympic the Doubles will be more important than ever with the Chinese and the Ukrainians just to name a couple...Vesnina and someone is Russia's best hope in doubles. Singles could see a Chakvetadze-Sharapova Final.

Irina123
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Zvonareva and Safina are both too much of a headcase. Sure they have the talent and once in a while they can go deep but for the most part they can't be trusted. Especially at this Olympic the Doubles will be more important than ever with the Chinese and the Ukrainians just to name a couple...Vesnina and someone is Russia's best hope in doubles. Singles could see a Chakvetadze-Sharapova Final.
Shamil wants LenaL to play doubles. And I'm sure Dinara will play, she's one of the best russian doubles players. Headcase or not, this doesn't matter much for doubles. Besides I don't know how high Dinara values Olympics, so there may be no pressure for her.

Shoulderpova
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Nadia and Sveta should play doubles for Russia.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
For doubles, they have a huge choice.
I would take Vera and Dinara, put one with Lena L and one with Nadia.

Viktymise
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Pretty sure LenaD will make it considering the bulk of her points to be defended is after the Olympics. :shrug:

lilimi
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
there are so many great players for only few places. sharapova has finally decided to play in Fed cup just for the Olympics, it is even more difficult. elena was interviewed today on eurosport france (in perfect french :hearts: I think she makes less mistakes than Tati :lol:). although i thought she refused to play in fed cup in order to focus on her career and let her spot for another player, as she already won a silver medal, she said she wants to go to beijing.
It's four players, singles and doubles included?
then the team should be :
1 sharapova: because she's the best russian (though i still don't like the fact she decided to play in fed cup only for the OG:o).
2 kuznetsova russian n°2
3 anna
4 dinara for her doubles experience

another solution should be that sharapova became american or anna plays for Georgia and sveta for spain...then all my faves would play in Beijing: nadia, dina, masha k, lena d.

PS: that's just a joke that expresses my frustration. i don't mean to offend anyone. sharpie fans, before you badrep me or throw me rocks, or insult me;), remember i've always said and thought that if Maria says she's russian, then she is, even though she didn't want to play for russia in Fed cup.

clonesheep
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
there are so many great players for only few places. sharapova has finally decided to play in Fed cup just for the Olympics, it is even more difficult. elena was interviewed today on eurosport france (in perfect french :hearts: I think she makes less mistakes than Tati :lol:). although i thought she refused to play in fed cup in order to focus on her career and let her spot for another player, as she already won a silver medal, she said she wants to go to beijing.
I think the reason that Dementieva stayed out of Fed Cup this year is because she is getting discouraged of losing her leader status on the team. Since last year, Tarpischev has been aggressively courting Sharapova to be on the team disregarding what other Russian players think. As it's all become clear now, Tarpischev was absolutely right. But this put Dementieva in an awkward position. If she gets back to the team she would be the 4th wheel, with Sharapova as the leader. I think she has too much pride to do that.

Olympics is a different story. The Russian olympic team will have 100+ members, which would neutralize the situation.

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sharapova has to play a lot more than one tie in her life to be the team leader.

clonesheep
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
...;12447026']it goes by ranking? not by choice doesnt it???

No. The Russian Olympic Committee can send whoever they want to send. They don't have to be the 4 top-ranked Russians. The only requirement is that the player has to be ranked within top 56 of WTA ranking.

In 2004 Weingartner met the ranking qualification but the German Olympic Committee chose to send nobody to Athens, because they think she has zero chance to medal.

new-york
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Sharapova has to play a lot more than one tie in her life to be the team leader.

team leader aka the best russian chance to get a medal, i guess.

Wiggly
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think Russia's limit is that they can have 4 Singles players and two Doubles team. However, the maximum amount of players is six.

So two Singles players will also play Doubles.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I think Russia's limit is that they can have 4 Singles players and two Doubles team. However, the maximum amount of players is six.

So two Singles players will also play Doubles.

I agree

I think Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva will be the 4 that qualify-Petrova is playing so shit I think Elena can overtake her before the olympics

Safina is the only one who has a chance of qualifying as a doubles player alone cos its top 10 doubles players only right?

if Petrova gets in then Sveta/Petrova would be the strongest team

assuming Petrova and Safina arent in then Id go for Kuznetsova/Chaky and Masha/Dementieva-but I doubt Maria would want to play dubs so maybe they'd only have one team