PDA

View Full Version : Osterloh to play for Philippines!?!?!

padawanpot
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Reeks of desparation on both sides!

Osterloh keen on playing for RP team

By Marc Anthony Reyes
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:17:00 02/02/2008

MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine women’s tennis just might have found its own Cecil Mamiit but it could take a while before the country can tap her world-renowned talent.

Lilia Osterloh, a regular Grand Slam campaigner and ranked 94th in singles, visited the country Friday and revealed her desire to play for the RP team in future international events.

She was born in Columbus, Ohio, to a Cebuana mother, Yolanda, who is now based in San Francisco.

“I would love to [play for RP] ... if it’s possible but my schedule is tight for the whole year,” said the 27-year-old Osterloh after playing against the tandem of RP Davis Cup pool players Kyle Joshua Dandan and Pablo Olivarez II at the Rizal Memorial Tennis Center.

The 5-foot-7 right-hander dropped stopped in Manila after stints in the Australian Open, New Zealand Open and Hawaii Open. She will leave for the Thailand Open today.

Osterloh lost to Switzerland’s Patty Schnyder in the first round of the Australian Open, 3-6, 3-6.

Osterloh partners with Ukraine’s Mariya Koryttseva in doubles. She has played in all Grand Slam events since turning pro in 1997, reaching as far as the fourth round of the 2000 Wimbledon and US Open. The following year, she reached her highest singles ranking of 41.
http://http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080202-116306/Osterloh-keen-on-playing-for-RP-team

Drake1980
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:45 AM
:eek:

Willam
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:09 AM
:haha: americans are becoming a joke :lol:

Huber, now Osterloh...

Paneru
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Get it however you can.

Do what you have to do Lilia.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:18 AM
:haha: americans are becoming a joke :lol:

Huber, now Osterloh...

Its not a joke whatsoever. Her Mom is 100% Filipino. She is very close with her mom and wants to represent the Philippines. I am one of her biggest fans and we all know that she has no chance in playing for the US in Fed Cup or the Olympics with the Williams Sisters and Lindsay playing so well...:p.

Go for it Lilia! :bounce: Ps, she is 29.. :P

Pasta-Na
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:20 AM
go charice :rocker2:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Hey, Cecil had Filipino pride and US pride just like Lilia. Thats what you have when your bi-continental . Its all good:bounce:.

Junex
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Go for it Lilz!!!!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM
She told me last year that one of her goals for 2008 was to play Fed Cup, but I didn't realize this was how she intended on doing it :eek:

Even if she does have Filipino pride, the bottom line is that she's doing this because she'll almost definitely get some very nice financial compensation to represent the country. She's still extremely pissed off with the USTA about not getting a wild card into the US Open after her great summer last year as well. That kind of financial help she'll be getting is something which means a lot to a player who has never had any sponsors and whose family has helped her foot the bill her entire career.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
She told me last year that one of her goals for 2008 was to play Fed Cup, but I didn't realize this was how she intended on doing it :eek:

Even if she does have Filipino pride, the bottom line is that she's doing this because she'll almost definitely get some very nice financial compensation to represent the country. She's still extremely pissed off with the USTA about not getting a wild card into the US Open after her great summer last year as well. That kind of financial help she'll be getting is something which means a lot to a player who has never had any sponsors and whose family has helped her foot the bill her entire career.
No, the bottom like is that Lilia can represent the Philippines in the Olympics and not the US. I think we are getting contracting insider information. Like i said in your feedback, EMAIL ME. :bounce:

cheo23
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Umm Let me tell you, the FILIPINO TENNIS FEDERATION is NASTY!!! They got RIZA ZALAMEDA, who plays for UCLA and is an AMERICAN citizen, to play for the Philippines for SEA Games Last year!!!!!!!!!! Don't try to Fool Lilia!!!!!!!!! Have some DIGNITY and BELIEF in your own team!!!!!!!!!!

Direwolf
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Umm Let me tell you, the FILIPINO TENNIS FEDERATION is NASTY!!! They got RIZA ZALAMEDA, who plays for UCLA and is an AMERICAN citizen, to play for the Philippines for SEA Games Last year!!!!!!!!!! Don't try to Fool Lilia!!!!!!!!! Have some DIGNITY and BELIEF in your own team!!!!!!!!!!

and thats Nasty because??

mmm...
Beckham plays in some other country and still go to
represent England...

Filipinos goes to America to give birth
so that their kids would be anothers citizens

talented filipinos born everyday...
coached by a filipino who...

a poor talented person who goes to the
government to ask for help...
who gets the fund, a rich kid, friend
of the chairpeople with no inborn talent....

thats how it is here...
money gets you somewhere you shouldnt belong...
poverty gets you to as far as your pocket can reach..

:sad:

Tennisace
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
What took Lilia so long?

Jogi
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
what's next? Meilen Tu representing Taiwan?

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
it would be great to see her at the olympics :)

dya74
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
if she get better chances there, why not?

Tenis Srbija
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
That's the spirit :yeah:

hdfb
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Go do it! She was cheated out of the MD WC at the US Open.

Aerien
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Well we NEED someone to represent us so I'll be happy if Lilia does go through with it.

Elwin.
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM
:banana:

akosiirwyn
Feb 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
yes!!! she'll provide a lot of help to our team :D

cheo23
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
She's NOT even a FILIPINO citizen and the FILIPINO TENNIS FEDERATION will get their HAnds DIRTY to get Lilia a citizenship just so PHilippines will get her :rolleyes:

Bartosh
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
oh jesus... amazing info... she's 29yo now, Career-High ranking - 41 (7 years ago)...
Filipinos must be very excited now :bounce:

Polikarpov
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
oh jesus... amazing info... she's 29yo now, Career-High ranking - 41 (7 years ago)...
Filipinos must be very excited now :bounce:

I'm not! :lol:

Slumpsova
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
she can help Philipines win gold medal in women's singles of SEA games :o

lecciones
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
At least the Philippines will have a top 100 now! :)

HTE
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
If Lilia feels that's the right thing to do, why shouldn't she? It's not like she's cheating anyone.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM

If she does play for anyone it's Puerto Rico.

I'm sorry the girl looks like a chubracapbra.

Slumpsova
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
it depends on how long Hollywood to be considered a country. bc i'm sure Serena wouldn't hesitate to play for them.

woosey
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i don't see the problem. she's got no chance to rep the u.s.a.

get in where you fit in, i say.

patricktav2003
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM
im ok with that she at the end of her career her last chance to do so!! and a big experience and to say to your kids i did the olym^pics! she deserve it!! still she have to play for philippines fed cup before all! at the time usa had Navratilova playing for us seles playing for us or Mary jo playing for us and their wasnt any problem