PDA

View Full Version : In the Future

Watching
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I just watched the 03 AO Final for the first time. It was obvious to me Serena wasn't playing her best but the quality was generally high and I realised that a big thing missing from Serena's game these days is the forehand. Her backhand is good but her forehand back then would be the weapon of choice for groundstroking. She hardly ever runs round her backhand anymore for the big inside out forehand like before.

Apart from that thought the thread was meant to be about Serena in the future. I think we all beleive that Serena can go up a level but how high? I still beleive that she can go on another year long streak at no.1 cleaning up at 3/4 if not 4/4 Slams. Does anyone else beleive that's possible for her now?

I think the fh could be instrumental for that reappearing along with good health.

serenus_2k8
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think if she wants it and is dedicated. She shud have played in Paris, she would have been sooo much closer to getting within striking distance of top 5 with some good points under her belt!

I think the best thing for her would be to beat Henin next week. She needs some belief back in her game and a winning against a good opponent to get the passion back!

-VSR-
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I think if she wants it and is dedicated. She shud have played in Paris, she would have been sooo much closer to getting within striking distance of top 5 with some good points under her belt!

I think the best thing for her would be to beat Henin next week. She needs some belief back in her game and a winning against a good opponent to get the passion back!

She shouldn't play if she's not healthy enough.

Destiny
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
She doesn't seem to trust her forehand shot any more
which i think was like a big weapon in her game
i think the future is lookin blurry for serena as she does seem to be getting things together at the big games
but i think she can if she figures out again how to get that great unrivaled confident she had!!!!

serenus_2k8
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Serena needs to just clear her mind and pick her game up a level.

Venus needs to stop her slow, shitty starts in matches and get to a decent level quicker. The problem in my eyes is that they are stuck in the between 5-10 in the ranks. I think if one could break the top 5, the other could too?

I like JJ and Anna C but Im looking forward to them losing some points so that Vee can get the drive to get ahead of them. And I hope Ana I bombs out of RG early so she loses points too :devil: Though I cant see it!

Serena'sboo
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I feel like if Serena got back to the shape she was in in 2003 she would be more confident and move better and would run around the backhand more but I believe she'll get back to that level its just taking a little bit more time

Olórin
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
The forehand thing is probably true, her forehand was such a weapon at the AO and Miami (2007). And it was in pretty good shape and Wimbledon and Moscow too. Was looking ok at the AO this year too. Hopefully she can make it a real weapon again, like it was in 2003/4. I don't think it will ever be quite as deadly as in 2002 but in 2003ish what was good was how even if it wasn't always working she could use it when she needed it, for one or two points a game to force an error from her opponent or hit a winner. Whereas now when she needs it in important situations she just seems to make an error. I put Serena's forehand when it's on up there with Graf, Pierce, Navratilova. If she can move like she was at the AO, get her forehand back more consistently, maintain the serve all kinds of things could happen this year.

frontier
Feb 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I love Serena but she seems to have stagnated and its painful to see her losing to the likes of Dementieva players she used to beat blindfolded.She needs to lose weight like she was in 2005,its sad to see a once dominant player losing and showing lack of confidence.