PDA

View Full Version : Mirza boycotts Indian tournaments

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Haven't seen this posted here.

Mirza boycotts Indian tournaments
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7227094.stm

India's Sania Mirza says she will stop appearing in tennis competitions in her native country to avoid any further controversial incidents.
The 21-year-old has been at the centre of disputes involving her dress and disrespecting India's national flag.

"Every time I have played in India there has been some kind of problem," said world number 29 Mirza, who will miss next month's WTA Bangalore Open.

"At this moment, I have been advised by my manager not to play."

Mirza revealed she had come close to quitting the game after she was accused of disrespecting India's flag during the Hopman Cup in Australia last month.

She was pictured sitting with her feet resting on a table next to an Indian flag.

Although Mirza said the pose was accidental, a private citizen filed a complaint with a court in the central Indian city of Bhopal under the Prevention of Insult to the National Honour Act.

"I don't think it (withdrawing from the Bangalore Open) was an extreme reaction at all," Mirza told India's NDTV channel. "There is something or the other happening.

"It is not easy to be dealing with stuff like that. I felt great lows in the last few weeks."

Police in her hometown of Hyderabad [in southern India] have also registered a case against her for trespass for filming an advertisement in a mosque.

And Mirza has also angered sections of India's Muslims because of her "indecent" choice of dressing in shorts and sleeveless t-shirts on court.

=========================

I feel sorry for Sania. She can't even play in front of her home fans. :sad:

RND
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
There is actually a thread about this. :)

Everytime I play in India there's a problem, says Sania
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=331609

Williamsser
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Good decision. The extremists are sickening.

Elwin.
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=331609 ;)

LudwigDvorak
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I just hope Mirza knows the importance of what she's doing for the future of Indian tennis, women's tennis in general, really. If she can hang in there she'll be fine. Her country will stop being retards eventually, or at least not AS retarded.

Direwolf
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
yes she can...
she just doesnt want to...

theyre not gonna boo her...

plantman
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM
She's even "contemplated giving up the game altogether"....:sad: How sad is it that!!!!!!

plantman
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Good decision. The extremists are sickening.

:yeah:

In The Zone
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
She's even "contemplated giving up the game altogether"....:sad: How sad is it that!!!!!!

Wrong.

Sania made the right decision. Good for her.

dylan24
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
move to the US mirza and become an american citizen
lots of indians here.
and US needs a good player
since davenport is toast
and williams sisters are almost done

cocco80
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Good for her. It's sad she has to deal with this kind of problem in her own country. She should be supported not attacked.

madamtennis
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Bravo Sania:yeah: she has right to decide what she wants to where and if some people don't understand this they don't deserve her

plantman
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Wrong.Sania made the right decision. Good for her.

Wrong....What's wrong?:confused:

In an article on Eurosport....Mirza to boycott Indian Tournaments it say's....

But in the face of mounting criticism, she said she had thought about ending her playing career.

dylan24
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
mirza should wear even more revealing outfits to piss those fuckers off even more.
she needs to show off her big tits like serena does

Mightymirza
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Bravo Sania:yeah: she has right to decide what she wants to where and if some people don't understand this they don't deserve her

Of course she has the right do whatever and as am Indian I totally support this decision..But retards are everywhere right? (how bout president of USA??) Anyways the media needs to give her a break..It must be pretty hard to focus on playing when your every move has been scrutinised in the tabloids!

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
She doesn't feel safe and the :bs: they bring is draining her.
She made the right decision.

Lucyxx
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
she needs to show off her big tits

should wear even more revealing outfits to piss those fuckers off even more.
:clap2:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
And this tounament was made for her

Slumpsova
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
good decision i must say.

Expat
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
good for bangalore
now the tournament will have some real spectators instead of curious onlookers who dont know anything about tennis

switz
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
how ridiculous that you can sued by a private citizen for putting your feet next to a flag in a completely innocent manner

Jakeev
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
My question is has anybody with any legitmate power come out in Sania's defense? Hasn't anybody denounced her critics and told them that enough is enough and they need to can it?

Amazing that she is one of the top female athletes, if not the top, in her country and the men probably don't even get the flack that she gets.

Frankly, I think Sania is sending a LOUD message and hopefully somebody will listen to it.

serenus_2k8
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Good job Sania. What message are the Indian public sending to future female Indian athletes. Its like they just dont want them to exist???

Scotso
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Good for her. :yeah:

She should seriously defect and play for the US. :D

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Good decision. Maybe some of the idiots will think twice before making ridiculous allegations for the sake of controversy and actually appreciate what she's doing for her country.

Doubt that'll happen, but one can hope.

aussie_fan
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Not surpriseed, i don't blame her with the things that have happened.

hablo
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Do what you have to do, Sania. :yeah:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
fair play to her :)

_§_
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
That'll teach'em! They don't deserve you Sania:)

sd3300123
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Good decision

skanky~skanketta
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM
is it that easy for her to get a us citizenship?

Infiniti2001
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
More than meets the eye?

NEW DELHI: Sania Mirza’s refusal to play in the Bangalore Open, beginning March 3, on the advice of her manager Mahesh Bhupathi is being projected as a continuation of the distress the flag controversy shovelled on the player. “It has affected her and her father greatly. So she has decided to skip Bangalore to avoid any controversy,” said Bhupathi.

But it seems the pull-out will fuel the controversy all the more. “Till now we had not received any indication that she would not play,” said Sundar Raju, tournament director of the $600,000 Tier II Bangalore Open.

The first whiff the tournament got of Mirza’s decision was when it got the final entry list from the WTA over the weekend.

With the entry deadline expiring on January 20, Mirza had decided quite some time back that she would not be playing in Bangalore. As to just why she chose to keep quiet about it till now is best known to her camp and managers but tennis insiders are quite certain that the issue has more to do with commercial reasons than anything else.

Last year Sania was paid to the tune of $100,000 as appearance money to figure in the then $175,000 prize money event.

This year around, it has been reliably learnt, the organisers were not willing to shell out a similar amount. They would rather offer the likes of Serena Williams a sum in the vicinity of $150,000 to boost the credibility of their event.

At the same time, apart from India, Mirza would not get appearance money for an event in the league of a Tier II anywhere else in the world with the exception of the Middle East.
The fact that the altitude of Bangalore imparts a higher bounce to the ball is also not much to the player’s liking. Till now she has not gone beyond the quarterfinals, losing the last two years to players ranked at least 80 places below her.

Till 2006, the Bangalore event was also run by Bhupathi’s company Globosport before the state association (Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association) decided to do things by itself.

India’s leading female player missing from a tournament in the country does take away much from its appeal and perhaps that’s just what Mirza’s managers were looking at to force a good deal from the Bangalore Open.

The strange bit is that in the week of the event there is no other tournament around the world that Mirza could play. While defending the 35 points she earned the same time last year would not be perhaps too much of a motivation for Mirza, the fact that she would be just sitting free would also not be too enthusing.

There is certainly more than just the possibility of another controversy that keeps Mirza from going to Bangalore a full month later.

As to just why the same fear would not make her miss the Globosport-backed Sunfeast Open that begins on October 6 is also an interesting poser.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1149191

hingis-seles
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Interesting. There is more to it than meets the eye.

Still, I support her decision not to play. If they don't appreciate her and want to bag on her for petty reasons, then why should she bother?

Harvs
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
good on her.

LeRoy.
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I think the article Infiniti posted is the real reason why Sania is not playing Bangalore. Lets see if she plays Calcutta later on this year because if she does it will become clear why she didn't play here.

hwanmig
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
She'll play next year or when those ungrateful idiots finally leaves her alone.

new-york
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
oh god.

i know it's like kind of safer at the moment but that's probably something they waited for, to use it against her.

i'm not sure, have indian people attending the tournaments in India ever booed her or had some bad reactions toward Sania. (???)

i just hope she doesn't regret.

all that is a shame, anyway.:(

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Personally I think this article "More than meets the eye?" is just a hatchet job. Like they think $150,000 is going to be enough to get Serena Williams to Bangalore. And what is so strange about taking a week off before Indian Wells? Most players do. I love the "reliably learnt" and "tennis insiders" bit too.

Unfortunately newspaper journalism these days is such that I can't accept anything I read without questioning it first. This article really doesn't survive any serious scrutiny at all. I don't buy it.

rocksania
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM
yes she can...
she just doesnt want to...

theyre not gonna boo her...

Hey common noone would ever boo her.

i feel the same she did a right thing,and if her critics dont stop she needs to take some hard decisons.

good for bangalore
now the tournament will have some real spectators instead of curious onlookers who dont know anything about tennis
change ur immature thinking,nobody learns at birth,everyone learns abt anything only wen its ur livelihood or its ur interest so wats the harm if new people knw abt this game and are drawn towards the game.

That'll teach'em! They don't deserve you Sania:)
cant agree with u more .

rocksania
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I think the article Infiniti posted is the real reason why Sania is not playing Bangalore. Lets see if she plays Calcutta later on this year because if she does it will become clear why she didn't play here.

she might play

Expat
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
unless she dumps bhupathi or bhupathi is dumped by calcutta
she will definitely play calcutta
nothing wrong in that
smart decision making
got to give her credit for being smart and making a lot of appearance money

as for sidlovessania the behavior of rabid nationalistic fans is something that should be far away from the tennis courts as possible tennis is not cricket
it was shameful as a tennis fan to see the way the indian expat crowd was behaving during the sania sveta match during doha very similar to the way serbians behaved in AO
this kind of behavior is not for tennis
i would rather have 10 people behaving decently and giving a good account of india than 100 people shouting while the point is still being played that i have often witnessed in sania's matches
no fault of hers though

mckyle.
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ugh I wish she would just leave India and her citizenship.

Expat
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ugh I wish she would just leave India and her citizenship.
as long as she gets decent sponsorship from india she wont do that
call me cynical but its true
outside of india shes only famous for being famous in india

as much as she hates being in controversy or maybe having an Indian citizenship 90% of her endorsements come from the same factor
else she would just be a nameless faceless top 30 player like the other players
i dont think shes that stupid to let her "inconveniences" forget that she can earn a lot of money being an indian tennis player
shes basically the only tennis player india has
being the top player in india and earning a lot >>>>> than being the 30th ranked player in the world and peace of mind

she shouldnt have to choose between the two
i am not a fan but i do agree that she should be left alone in peace
that includes both the stupid indian nationalists and the fundamentalist muslims
but its not a "lose lose" situation for her
she has a lot to gain too from her situation

IanRadi
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
If things like these keep happening for sure she will change her nationality :rolleyes:

Experimentee
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I dont think the real reason was money, she has been concerned about her safety in India for a while, and there was even some nut who threatened her doctor for treating her. There would be a real danger for her safety if she played in India.

Seyz
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Poor Mirza.