PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova lining up T.V. series.....

plantman
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
By James Hooper

February 03, 2008 12:00am

AUSTRALIAN Open queen Maria Sharapova has looks made for Hollywood - now the glamorous starlet wants to create a US television drama based around life on the professional tennis circuit.

Forget Mark Philippoussis's tacky foray into reality television, Sharapova's dream revolves around a tell-all insight into the cut-throat world of tennis stardom.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that Sharapova's agent Max Eisenbud wants to hold preliminary discussions with major US networks.

But the IMG Tennis vice-president was swift to try to water down the potential blockbuster yesterday, citing the current US writers strike as an obstacle.

"Way too early, TV strike, email me in a few months,'' Eisenbud said.

Celebrity agent Max Markson and Australian television powerbrokers Brian Walsh and Steve Crawley all suggested Sharapova's star power alone would make the show an instant hit.

Never one to shy away from centre stage, Sharapova's concept is understood to mirror the hit cable TV show Entourage.

Starring Adrian Grenier, Entourage is a comical insight into the fast-lane lifestyle of Hollywood's A-list produced by actor Mark Wahlberg.

The concept behind the show involves Wahlberg drawing on his numerous entertaining experiences behind-the-scenes in the volatile playground of Hollywood's rich and famous.

Under Sharapova's vision, the Australian Open tennis champion would be involved in penning and producing the show but would refrain from starring in it.

"It's got legs that are better than Maria Sharapova's,'' Markson said.

"It's an exciting concept. The same as people want to see what's happening behind the scenes in Hollywood, people would love to see what's going on behind the scenes in sport.

"The opportunity to do a show like that for tennis are limitless. It could be screened all around the world.

"It just sounds like fantastic fun.''

Potential episodes could cover a variety of topics including crazy parents, behind-the-scenes cat fights, lavish international lifestyles and A-list parties.

Foxtel executive director of television Walsh described the potential project as tailor made for pay television.

"If it was a project that came to fruition Foxtel would be ideally placed to acquire it given the expansive range of general entertainment channels we have,'' Walsh said.

"From the sounds of things, it would make great viewing and it's certainly the type of project that we would be very interested in.''

But Channel Nine head of sport Steve Crawley warned Sharapova the world of television production is no easy caper.

"Maria Sharapova's a ratings success so if the production team's a success, she's a star,'' Crawley said.

"But she's a tennis player. I think the idea's good and she's a star, but you do what you do best and she doesn't understand television.

"If she wanted to work behind the scenes I don't understand that.''

I'd pop some popcorn, grab a cold one, sit back and enjoy! :)

serenus_2k8
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Wow, Ive heard about this before I think.

I would love to see a show like this come out, just to say what its like. I get the feeling it would either be really good or awful. :confused: And I hope really good :D

Volcana
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
This idea has been floating around since 2004. My guess is that it's popped up again because a) she just won a slam, and b) you can do it without writers.

plantman
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
That's not how the big wigs see it...

But the IMG Tennis vice-president was swift to try to water down the potential blockbuster yesterday, citing the current US writers strike as an obstacle.

"Way too early, TV strike, email me in a few months,'' Eisenbud said.

Feb 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
It would be nice to see the behind the scenes action and see how it affects matches

wtatennisballer
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
They should have a drama show about the life of Sharapova but find an actress to portray her. Maria is not an actress. Her tone of voice is horrible.

slamchamp
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
That would be really interesting

Pureracket
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I hope this gets to television. Sounds interesting.

Groenefelder25
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
that would be awesome :D

Groenefelder25
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM
They should have a drama show about the life of Sharapova but find an actress to portray her. Maria is not an actress. Her tone of voice is horrible.

maria rocks :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS6j_Cayck ;)

IceHock
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I think this would sell big time, entourage is a great show. This definitely has a good shot at being big.

random fan
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
May be Americans will start watching tennis for once if this one is succesful :lol:

wtatennisballer
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I think this would sell big time, entourage is a great show. This definitely has a good shot at being big.

Entourage -- Maria Sharapova Reality TV Show :scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
sounds like a good idea but not if Sharapova writes it :o
it would be full of crap jokes-think of her acceptance speeches going on for 1/2 hour :tape:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I would love it if they do something similiar to MTV's "Punk'd" or "Boiling Point" but targeting WTA players and officials instead.

That would be soooo much fun :lol:

Serenita
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:39 AM
:)Good luck girl:)

stevos
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I'm sorry Maria, but I don't want you writing it. ;) Just throw her name in there to get more of a buzz for the show, but get some really great actors (don't cheap out), market it well, great writers, and it could have potential to be great. It would have to be pay-television to be great though, I'd say. If it was on UPN, or whatever it is now, it would flop. Not the crowd. HBO would be perfect.

There could definitely be interesting story lines. But people saying its cus she just won a slam, people were pitching this mostly after she lost in the US Open last year. She was down and out. She has wanted to do this for awhile clearly.

sweetpeas
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Please!!!!!!!

skanky~skanketta
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:39 AM
well, if it happens, they better show it in malaysia.

beriadan
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I think it's a great idea, but the general population may not agree, I fear...