PDA

View Full Version : Everytime I play in India there's a problem, says Sania

Marcell
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Everytime I play in India there's a problem, says Sania

February 04, 2008

Tired of being dragged into one controversy after another in the past few months, Sania Mirza [Images] has decided against playing in India for now.

The tennis ace decided against entering next month's Bangalore Open, and cited the petty controversies that have dogged her in recent months as the reason for snubbing the event.

"I am not playing in Bangalore Open. I have been advised by my manager not to play (there) because a lot has been happening in the past few months," Sania told reporters in Hyderabad on Monday.

"Everytime I have played in India there has been some kind of problem. So we just thought it was better not to play this time," she added.

Ever since her breakthrough 2005 season, Sania has battled controversies ranging from her on-court attire being dubbed indecent by Islamic fundamentalists to the recent flag controversy during the Hopman Cup in December last year.

In fact, the off-court issues had shaken the world number 29 to such an extent that she even contemplated giving up the game altogether a few weeks before last month's Australian Open.

Meanwhile, the Open, beginning March 3, will have another added attraction, with Venus Williams confirming participation and joining her sister Serena.

The tournament will see the Williams sisters appearing together for the first time outside the Grand Slams.

GoDominique
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, but everytime she doesn't play in India there's an even bigger problem. :tape:

Elwin.
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Sania :sad: :hug:
Good decision that you won't play in Bangalore!

microgoogle
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
don't be surprised if venus and serena find empty stands to contend with in Bangalore...:lol::lol::lol::lol:
and as far as sania is concerned, the girl final grew up...:lol:

Brett.
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Good Idea, Sania! :yeah:

MistyGrey
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Good decision!

lilimi
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
it must have been a tough decision, but if she took it it means she had been really disappointed by those controversies. :hug:

RND
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Great decision. ;) Be prepared for Indian Wells. :)

JonBcn
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
The tournament will see the Williams sisters appearing together for the first time outside the Grand Slams.

^ :confused:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
It is sad for all her loyal supporters in India. I know she is a great heroine to many people there. But it is very much the right decision for Sania. When I first heard Sania wasn't playing this tournament I thought it might be more than a scheduling decision.

Bad luck to all the people who would like to make an example of her for their own political and religious motives that she won't be there but I'm sure they will find other innocent people to scapegoat.

Sania continues to handle herself in situations that would probably drive most people completely insane. :worship:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
good for her. i feel so bad for her hard luck!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Sania :) hope she gets fit soon. missed Fed Cup and this week.

we/i knew she wasnt entered about a 2-3 weeks ago.

Hashim.
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
:yeah:
thats good for her:)

Williamsser
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Good decision. The extremists are sickening.

Dave.
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Good decision from Sania, you never know what these people will do next.

It is a shame because most people love her in India, it's just a few idiots who have to spoil everything. :o

Kart
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
She should brace herself for the backlash.

She may well end up wishing she had played.

Kunal
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
the thing is that, despite taking this drastic measure...its not gonna change anything.

there are always a few spoiled eggs that are gonna mess the situation up.

i would have just gone on and played and ignored the niche and retarted people that voice their irrational opinions.

DutchieGirl
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Pity that this shit happens to her and she feels she can't even play in her home country now. :sad: