PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay to play Amelia Island

Lindsayfan32
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Just found a small article about Lindsay's participation in the Amelia Island tournament. Could this lead to Lindsay playing the French Open after all ;)
Davenport plans return to Amelia

The new mother will seek her fourth Bausch & Lomb title.

Amelia Island's darling is coming home after a two-year absence.

Lindsay Davenport, one of the most popular and successful players to have competed at the Bausch & Lomb Championships, announced Saturday that she'll participate in this year's tournament April 7-13 at Amelia Island Plantation.
Davenport is one of five women who have won the Bausch & Lomb singles crown three times. But she has missed the event the last two years. She withdrew from the 2006 tournament with a back injury that caused her to miss several months of action on the tour, and last year, she and her husband, Jon Leach, were expecting their first child. She gave birth to a baby boy, Jagger Jonathan, in June.
In her last two appearances at Amelia Island, Davenport won the singles title. She defeated Amelie Mauresmo in straight sets in 2004 and turned back Silvia Farina Elia in the 2005 final. Davenport claimed her first Bausch & Lomb title in 1997 with a two-set win over Mary Pierce.
"I've always loved playing at Amelia," Davenport said by phone Saturday from her home in Newport Beach, Calif. "I think that the intimacy factor of the tournament has been phenomenal. It's always been such a fun, kind of low-key week, and it's the best I've ever done on clay playing there. Clay isn't my favorite surface, but for some reason, I always seem to do well in playing at Amelia Island."
The three-time Grand Slam winner is starting to regain the form that propelled her to the No. 1 ranking in October of 1998. She held the top spot for 98 non-consecutive weeks over her career before developing back problems.
Davenport won the U.S. Open in 1998, Wimbledon in 1999 and the Australian Open in 2000.
She returned to competitive tennis last September, three months after giving birth, and has won three of the five tournaments she competed in - at Bali, Quebec City and Auckland. Her only two defeats this season have been to Jelena Jankovic and Maria Sharapova, currently the No. 4 and 5 ranked players. Davenport is No. 51.
Davenport, 31, will play in a number of other tournaments this winter leading up to Bausch & Lomb. She plans to compete at Indian Wells and Miami, two Tier I tournaments preceding the WTA's first clay-court event of the season at Amelia Island.
"For years, Lindsay has been a fan favorite at Amelia Island," Bausch & Lomb tournament director John Arrix said. "Lindsay is very comfortable at Amelia."
Earlier this month, Davenport moved into No. 1 in career prize money on the WTA Tour, passing Steffi Graf. Davenport raised her total to $21,897,501 since she officially became a professional player in 1993.
As for mixing tennis and motherhood, Davenport says she is adjusting well. She brings her son with her to every event.
"Motherhood is great. Jagger has just been so good," Davenport said. "We're really lucky that he's been quite adaptable and easy-going, even the time changes we do. [However] I stay in a lot more and get more room service than I used to."
jeff.elliott@jacksonville.com,
(904) 359-4292
bausch & lomb championships
When: April 7-13.
Where: Amelia Island Plantation.
Tickets: (800) 486-8366 or blchamps.com.

The Daviator
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I love this tournament, great that Lindsay will play here, hopefully she can get her 4th title and continue her amazing record on 'clay' :p

ChampLindsay
Jan 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Just found a small article about Lindsay's participation in the Amelia Island tournament. Could this lead to Lindsay playing the French Open after all ;)
Davenport plans return to Amelia

The new mother will seek her fourth Bausch & Lomb title.

Amelia Island's darling is coming home after a two-year absence.

Lindsay Davenport, one of the most popular and successful players to have competed at the Bausch & Lomb Championships, announced Saturday that she'll participate in this year's tournament April 7-13 at Amelia Island Plantation.
Davenport is one of five women who have won the Bausch & Lomb singles crown three times. But she has missed the event the last two years. She withdrew from the 2006 tournament with a back injury that caused her to miss several months of action on the tour, and last year, she and her husband, Jon Leach, were expecting their first child. She gave birth to a baby boy, Jagger Jonathan, in June.
In her last two appearances at Amelia Island, Davenport won the singles title. She defeated Amelie Mauresmo in straight sets in 2004 and turned back Silvia Farina Elia in the 2005 final. Davenport claimed her first Bausch & Lomb title in 1997 with a two-set win over Mary Pierce.
"I've always loved playing at Amelia," Davenport said by phone Saturday from her home in Newport Beach, Calif. "I think that the intimacy factor of the tournament has been phenomenal. It's always been such a fun, kind of low-key week, and it's the best I've ever done on clay playing there. Clay isn't my favorite surface, but for some reason, I always seem to do well in playing at Amelia Island."
The three-time Grand Slam winner is starting to regain the form that propelled her to the No. 1 ranking in October of 1998. She held the top spot for 98 non-consecutive weeks over her career before developing back problems.
Davenport won the U.S. Open in 1998, Wimbledon in 1999 and the Australian Open in 2000.
She returned to competitive tennis last September, three months after giving birth, and has won three of the five tournaments she competed in - at Bali, Quebec City and Auckland. Her only two defeats this season have been to Jelena Jankovic and Maria Sharapova, currently the No. 4 and 5 ranked players. Davenport is No. 51.
Davenport, 31, will play in a number of other tournaments this winter leading up to Bausch & Lomb. She plans to compete at Indian Wells and Miami, two Tier I tournaments preceding the WTA's first clay-court event of the season at Amelia Island.
"For years, Lindsay has been a fan favorite at Amelia Island," Bausch & Lomb tournament director John Arrix said. "Lindsay is very comfortable at Amelia."
Earlier this month, Davenport moved into No. 1 in career prize money on the WTA Tour, passing Steffi Graf. Davenport raised her total to $21,897,501 since she officially became a professional player in 1993.
As for mixing tennis and motherhood, Davenport says she is adjusting well. She brings her son with her to every event.
"Motherhood is great. Jagger has just been so good," Davenport said. "We're really lucky that he's been quite adaptable and easy-going, even the time changes we do. [However] I stay in a lot more and get more room service than I used to."
jeff.elliott@jacksonville.com,
(904) 359-4292
bausch & lomb championships
When: April 7-13.
Where: Amelia Island Plantation.
Tickets: (800) 486-8366 or blchamps.com.

Great article:hearts:
So she finally wants to play Miami after 5 years abstinence?:wavey:

Lindsayfanumber1
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
:drool: :bounce:

LindsayRulz
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
She is going to play Miami? :eek:

Does she remember that it's a two weeks tournament right after IW and just before AI? :scratch:

Dave.
Jan 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
YAY! Amelia Island is one of the best tournaments in the year, and Lindsay has a great record there. Clay-court tennis at it's best IMO. :p

Michael!
Jan 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
She wants to play IW & Miami :eek:
We will see, I´m not sure about this! :lol:
But it would be great...;)

dybbuk
Jan 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
5 straight weeks possibly?

Either Lindsay is sick, or she doesn't think she'll be around in the later rounds. :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'll believe she's playing Miami when she plays her first match there.

Maybe she thinks because she could still be unseeded for Indian Wells that she could get a bad draw (a la the Australian Open) and lose early. :shrug:

Anyways, Amelia Island isn't Amelia Island without Lindsay. It's going to be awesome to have her back there this year. One of my absolute favorite tournaments. :D

Lindsayfan32
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Lindsay isn't playing Miami as part of her gee status that she finally got at the start of the year. Lindsay doesn't have to play the 17 tournaments required tournaments and she also doesn't have to play Miami and to the best of knowledge Lindsay's playing Indian wells but not Miami. Someone correct me if wrong but I read this in a net article and this was what it said.

MH0861
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe she wants some ranking points :p

tennisboi
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I stay in a lot more and get more room service than I used to."

:lol: Lindsay I love thee :p

lindsayno1
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:44 PM
i reckon she wants to get her ranking up for Wimbledon....!

Matt01
Feb 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Lindsay isn't playing Miami as part of her gee status that she finally got at the start of the year. Lindsay doesn't have to play the 17 tournaments required tournaments and she also doesn't have to play Miami and to the best of knowledge Lindsay's playing Indian wells but not Miami. Someone correct me if wrong but I read this in a net article and this was what it said.

That's what I've heard/read as well. Maybe she has changed or will change her mind about playing Miami, though...I guess we'll find out about that in a few weeks.

Elldee
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Is it the conditions in miami that Lindsay doesn't like? and they make her injury prone? Because she might play this year as being in the states seems to be the most important criteria... but obviously she may not want to play week after week... i'd like her to enter and see how she does at IW.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Miami being a hard court tournament that Lindsay has never won i would like to see her enter and give it a go but being a second 10 day event right after Indian wells it not very likely.

Elldee
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Lindsay is apparently, according to an article I just read, on the Miami entry list.

LindsayRulz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Everybody is on the entry list, it's a mandatory event :p

Elldee
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I know... but I still think she'll play. It's in north america, she's still at risk of bad draws in events, etc.