PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay and Fed Cup

Lindsayfan32
Jan 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
The team to to play Germany was announced today here is the press release.

Davenport to compete in Fed Cup

Lindsay Davenport will have the chance to lead the United States to another Fed Cup title.
Team USA captain Zina Garrison on Wednesday named Davenport as part of the squad for the February quarter-final encounter against Germany.
Davenport will team up with Lisa Raymond, Ashley Harkleroad and Laura Granville against Germany on February 2-3 in La Jolla, California.
A former world number one and three-time grand slam winner, Davenport has won all 24 of her Fed Cup appearances since 1994, lifting the title in 1996, 1999 and 2000.
The United States and Germany have met in three Fed Cup finals since 1966. Team USA won in 1966 and 1982 while Germany captured the 1987 event.

LindsayRulz
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Germany

Tatjana Malek
Julia Goerges
Sabine Lisicki
Anna-Lena Groenefeld

:scared:

Dave.
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Good luck Lindsay!

Where is Lindsay next competing after Fed Cup?

Lindsayfan32
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Memphis starting the 25th Feb and next tournament after that will be Indian wells starting 10th March

This would have to be the weakest Fed Cup team Lindsay ever played on that I can remember. It a blessing the German team is weak too. Lindsay might have to play the doubles as well as two singles matches.

Nikki
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Good luck Lindsay & Team USA, even if it is a strange line up:)

LindsayRulz
Jan 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM
There is an interview on the Fed Cup wed site with Mary Joe talking about the tie between USA and Germany and she talks a little bit about Lindsay :

http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/FC_4211_mp3.MP3

LindsayRulz
Feb 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Davenport kicks off for USA

Lindsay Davenport will start proceedings for the United States against Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the opening rubber of the 2008 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group tie. The former world No. 1 and three-time Grand Slam singles champion is making her first singles appearance in the United States since the 2006 US Open.

The full draw is as follows:

Saturday
Lindsay Davenport (USA) v Sabine Lisicki (GER)
Ashley Harkleroad (USA) v Tatiana Malek

Sunday
Lindsay Davenport (USA) v Tatiana Malek (GER)
Ashley Harkleroad (USA) v Sabine Lisicki (GER)
Lisa Raymond / Lindsay Davenport (USA) v Anna-Lena Groenefeld / Julia Goerges (GER)

----------------------

Davenport ready for Fed Cup journey into the unknown

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LA JOLLA, California, Feb 1 (Reuters) - United States number one Lindsay Davenport is preparing for the relative unknown in this week's Fed Cup world group first round tie against Germany.

Davenport, who returned to the court last September after an 11-month absence to have a baby, will play singles matches on Saturday and Sunday against opponents she barely recognises.

ADVERTISEMENT
"That's happened to me a lot recently," Davenport told a news conference on Friday after being drawn to meet Sabine Lisicki in the opening encounter at La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club.

"After taking a year off, there have been a lot of players who, since I've come back, I haven't known that much about.

"So for me that means I need to focus on my game and what I need to do well," added the former world number one. "No matter what event I'm at, I always feel like my job is to take care of myself and my game.

"I'm just going to take it that's it in my hands. I feel like if I play really well, I'll be in control of my match."

PAYING ATTENTION

U.S. number two Ashley Harkleroad takes on Germany's top-ranked Tatjana Malek in the second singles match on Saturday and Davenport plans to pay close attention.

"I'll definitely go out there and watch Ashley play so I can get a sense of how my opponent will play first thing on Sunday," the 31-year-old American said. She will meet Malek in the reverse singles.

"Luckily I always have someone who reports back to me on how other people play: my coach. Here I have a whole team support of people that do that."

Davenport, a former Wimbledon, U.S. Open and Australian Open champion, is delighted to be back in the Fed Cup environment after almost three years away.

"It's really exciting," said the Californian, who last represented her country in the team competition in the 2005 quarter-final against Belgium.

"When I decided to come back, I definitely made a commitment to Fed Cup for hopefully the full year and to be part of the Olympics. Representing my country is something I have always taken great pride in and have enjoyed immensely."

Davenport, who gave birth to a son, Jagger, last June before mounting a triumphant WTA Tour comeback, has a win-loss record of 31-2 in Fed Cup play where she has gone 25-2 in singles matches and 6-0 in the doubles.

She made her Fed Cup debut in 1993 and has led her country to five finals and titles in 1996, 1999 and 2000.

-----------------

Audio interview with Lindsay : http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/FC_4314_mp3.MP3

Dave.
Feb 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hope she can keep up the good record. Lisicki and Malek have had some good results recently (especialli Lisicki who beat Safina just recently). Lindsay should be alright though.

I am really pleased Ashley is playing aswell! I hope she does well.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Not surprised by the US line up at all. Ashley is the logical choice to playthe second singles but it looks like Lindsay winning three matches won't be easy. Sorry if I'm a bit behind my computer blew up again and I haven't been on in a day or so.

brayster87
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
what time do they play in Australian time?

Lindsayfan32
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Love the article I was reading this morning that Lindsay and her team mates have to have the tie won before the super bowl starts so Jon can watch it. I wonder if it goes down to a deciding doubles rubber that Lindsay will be involved with, will Jon watch Lindsay play or the super bowl? ;)

Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think Lindsay will win all three matches and will do so in straight sets!!

LindsayRulz
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
What is happening with Lindsay? :o

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Is anyone watching this match? why cant espn cover the fedcup anymore? Is linds hurt or something, she is playing like crap and lost 1-6....hello? are there any fans out there

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Lisicki took the first set of Lindsay, 6-1. :o :banghead:

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
are there any lives feeds of this match online?

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
What is happening with Lindsay? :o

Lisicki is being really aggressive.
Lindsay isn't serving well, isn't returning well, and is miss hitting a lot of shots. She's just not in her comfort zone. She's also sloutching a bit so she's pretty frustrated.

The commentators said that she was nervous because she knew she needed to win this because she's the leader of the team, ect.

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
please thats no excuse....why the hell is she nervous this girl is 130 in the world..and linds is playing on the california hardcourts...this is one of the things that scares me about lindsays comeback...bizzare matches against random players.ah...i know she will get it together, but just wierd

MH0861
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
She's really played like crap so far in 08, hasn't she? I mean even in Auckland she wasn't so hot most of it...

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
This is just really worrisome. Lindsay hasn't lost a FedCup Match in like 10+ years. This could really hurt her mentally in her comeback.

Lisicki just keeps serving her way out of trouble. Ugh.

brayster87
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Don't worry guys, Lindsay figures that by beating Lisicki in 3 sets then the crowd would get their money's worth (this won't happen if she beat her in 40 minutes)

Also it might have taken her the first set to figure out her game but she'll win in three

MH0861
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
She probably thought Liscki was like some Muller/ALG/Malek-esque level of German Garbage too :lol:

LindsayRulz
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
She's really played like crap so far in 08, hasn't she? I mean even in Auckland she wasn't so hot most of it...

The highlight of the year so far is the first set against granville at Auckland :hearts::lol:

LindsayRulz
*4-2!

jonnymac
yeah liscki just double faulted 4 times in a game...please this girl sucks

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Lindsay :sad:

LDF
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Er, breadsticked by Lisicki? :spit: :help:

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
So much for this going three sets

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
this is not the same lindsay we know...this girl has served 13 aces on her

LDF
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Jean, what's happening?

According to the Fed cup website it's 5-4 to Lindsay in the 2nd set, 40-15 to Lisicki in this game...

brayster87
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
these days she can't serve out sets

MH0861
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Can she please go away into hiding and come back if she plans on playing well ever again this year, I'd rather her stay away then put up performances like this day in and day out :p

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
2 set points gone...

LDF
Set point blown with a BH UE :fiery:

LDF
5-5 :smash:

brayster87
Can she please go away into hiding and come back if she plans on playing well ever again this year, I'd rather her stay away then put up performances like this day in and day out :p

I agree entirely

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
this sucks im done following it

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Jean, what's happening?

According to the Fed cup website it's 5-4 to Lindsay in the 2nd set, 40-15 to Lisicki in this game...

The scoreboard on TC is screwing up too.

It's 5 all now.

Lindsay isn't consistant, isn't reading Lisicki's shots at all. Very flat. Lindsay just looks awful.

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
5-2 up and about to lose 4 straight games pathetic, im glad im not watching it on tv

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
doesnt mj have an decent advice for linds

LDF
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Lisicki is about to serve for the match.

:speakles:

LindsayRulz
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
1-6 5-6* :o

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
i cant imagine this atmosphere all of her family and friends are there...embarassig

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Absolute disaster. I'm just so disappointed.
I don't know what to say about Lindsay other than she better do better tomorrow or pull out. I hope this was just a fluke a la Claudine Schaul. She looked like she was lost out there and wasn't happy. She has a lot of explaining to do.

:sobbing:

jonnymac
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
ya completely embarassing and she needs to rededicate to tennis otherwise dont bother coming back and diminishing her great career

LDF
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Words to sum up this loss: shocking, humiliating, confidence-denting, pathetic, etc.

Lindsay :confused: :help:

LindsayRulz
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
:sobbing:

ChampLindsay
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
wtf:sad::sad::sad::sad:get your play together Lindsay:wavey:

Should i cry or should i am happy!?i dont know:sad:
hopefully Sabine is a girl for our future in womenstennis!

Michael!
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Lindsay :sad:,
but maybe Sabine can show us soon, why Lindsay lost to her (I hope so..;))

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
TC just showed her post match interview live.
She looks really disappointed and a bit confused on why she sucked so much.
She said it was her footwork and she wasn't hitting the ball as well as she usually does. She should have played more aggressive instead of being on her back foot. She had difficulty reading Lisicki's service. She's hoping this was just a little bump verses a big bump and she's hopeful she'll be able to get her game back together tomorrow.

And she moved faster out of the interview chair then she did the whole match.

First Fed Cup loss since 1994.
19 winners, 43 unforced errors.
:o

ce
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
:help:

dybbuk
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Oh dear.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Wow I'm stunned. I don't know what to say.Well the streak had to end eventually but to a player ranked 130 it sounds like she a great form player and the thing that is worrying about this loss for Lindsay is going ti have to put a big dent in her conference.

Dave.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I am shocked at this loss but Lindsay needs to get it together for tommorow.

I'm not enjoying all of these 'first losses since so-and-so'. This was her first loss at Fed Cup since 94, Aussie Open her first loss before 4R since 93.

Lindsay :sad:

LADL
Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post-match interview

February 2, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

LA JOLLA, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Lindsay.

Q. Lindsay, how much of this is you being off your game or her being good at switching things up and mixing it up? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think it was probably a little of both. I mean, obviously disappointed with the way I went out there and played. But at the same time, she played very well and had a lot to do with that.
I don't know what else to say. I'm going to try to work my best to come out there tomorrow and play a lot better, and hopefully be a little bit more on top of my shots. And, hopefully, Ashley can get us to 1-All, and get us some momentum going into Sunday.

Q. Leading 5-2 in the second set and she broke your next match, how were you feeling at that point? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I never felt great all day. When I was up in the second, obviously, I was playing a little bit better than in the first. But still never felt like I was really connecting well with the ball and dictating as much as I'd like to be or as much as I need to be. At the same time she was hitting a lot of great shots. She served so big. Lot of hard serves coming at me.
So I was up in the second, and really had a couple of set points she came up with a few good shots. But it would have been important and nice if I had found a way to win that second set and see what happened in the third. But it just seemed like today I just couldn't come up with what I needed to come up with at the right time.

Q. After the first set you're down 6-1, what's going through your mind?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Just that I wanted to get off to a better start in the second set, which I was able to do. Got started off slow, and she was definitely on fire and excited there to start the match. So I was able to change it around a bit in the second set. Like I said, I had a lot of chances to almost win that second set, then it just didn't happen.
So one of the positives is I can come out tomorrow and hopefully turn it around for the team and for myself. You know, by no means do we feel like we're out of it. Obviously, it is a setback to lose a first match, but we still feel like we have a chance.

Q. How do you feel about your first loss here in the U.S.?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. Oh, I'm just disappointed for the team. It wouldn't have mattered if we were here or in Germany. I pride myself on having a good Fed Cup record. Typically it brings the best out in me, and just it was so flat today. So I'm more disappointed in letting my teammates down than being in the states and losing it.
You know, Fed Cup means a lot to me, and I hope I'm able to perform better tomorrow.

Q. She kind of had a breakthrough at the Australian Open, how much did you know about her as a player?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I didn't know much. I think the Australian Open was the first big tournament she played well at, and she's young. It's a lot easier to play so well when you're young. But she obviously has a huge serve. I had a really hard time reading it. And she hit her rallies well. I would have liked to have gotten a few more balls into play and kept the rallies a little longer, but it just wasn't happening for me today.

Q. Is it a fair assessment that in the first set it seemed like early on in the first set you were not moving real well, is that fair? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: For sure. I think that was a problem for most of the match. I was definitely not seeing the ball as early as I wanted to and getting on top of the shots. At the same time, the balls are coming, and especially the serves are coming so hard I was never really on top of her rally.
But luckily I got a little bit more warmed up. Got a little bit more aggressive, but still just never felt like I was dictating or hitting the ball as cleanly as I would have liked. Some of that is definitely related to foot work and getting in position. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the shots she was hitting to me and me not being in position.

Q. Can you remember the last time you came out and started so flat?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I have a hard time remembering the last time that, you know, a match went so one-sided against me. A match that hopefully that's been my strength is to take control of, but hopefully that will change.

Q. Any particular reason why today?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I don't know. I've had a great week of practice. I thought I was hitting the ball well. I don't know why. I wish I did. I have to figure out a reason tonight so it doesn't happen again tomorrow. But so far in the comeback, I had been playing very well up until just very recently. So hopefully I can get my game back on track and start playing the kind of tennis I need to play to be successful.

Q. As a follow-up to that, any indication in your warm-up that this was won be a good day? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I warmed up well. So, no. Just some days it happens. You go out there, you're flat, you're not hitting the balls you want to hit. And, unfortunately, for the U.S. team, it was me today. Like I said we by no means feel we're out of it. We're obviously hoping to go 1-All into tomorrow, if we're down 0-2, we still have a chance. So we look forward to hopefully a good day on Sunday.

Q. Before launching the comeback, did you go into it with the knowledge that when you come back this time, there is a lot of girls out there now who can really bring the ball, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Mirza, and it goes on. That there could be days like these?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I guess so. I didn't know what to expect. Especially because it had been going so well. Up until today my two losses were against top four players. So I had been having success on dictating against the lower ranked players. But today was just not a good day for me.
Having said that, I have played a number way more great matches than I have poor matches since I've come back. But I've got to kind of right the ship and start playing more aggressive and start, you know, getting the ball and dictating the points.
But, no, I mean, for the most part it's been much more positive than my performance today.

Q. Just a follow-up on her slice serve she was hitting; are you used to seeing that? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was so tough because I felt like I was getting some bombs up the middle and then some really short slice serves, and they were going off the court a lot. They were hitting the side fence. So it was tough to kind of get a read which serve to cover. And I thought she did a good job of disguising her toss. So, yeah, it was tough for me to get a read on it.

Q. Is there something to be said, perhaps, for things coming maybe a little too easily for you since your comeback? Because the match when you first came back may have been a little more expected?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I don't know. A lot of people were talking about the U.S. dominance in Fed Cup. But I definitely thought this was going to be a tough tie, and I was saying that all week. I don't know. It's so hard. It just happens, so it's too hard to be too analytical about it right now.
All I can say is that I tried and did not play my best. I get to try and go out there tomorrow and rectify that situation. Hopefully, like I said, it's still enough for the U.S. team, but obviously I feel bad for my teammates. I'm hoping that it's just a little setback and not a huge bump in the road.

Dave.
Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
:sad::sobbing: I hope this doesn't put her down. 2 good, convincing wins tommorow in singles and doubles is what she needs.

and I have always loved that Lindsay takes pride in Fed Cup.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I think it's good that this loss has had a lot of sting for Lindsay. It proves how much she still cares about playing fed cup and at least she gets another chance to redeem herself tommrrow. I agree with dav_6789 she needs two good wins tommrrow and hopefully it will get her back on track.

LindsayRulz
Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
It's better to have an off day during Fed Cup than at IW, Wimbledon or at the Olympics. It sucks that her streak in FC is over, but hopefully Lindsay'll have an easier time on the court tomorrow.

I hate it when she's disappointed after a match :(

The Daviator
Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:13 AM

The first set she played this year was awesome, since then it's been a bit :unsure: :lol:

Lindsay :lol: Guys don't get so down :hug: She had an awful day at the office, and it's FC, they can still win the tie, and are probably favourites since Ashley won her match, so this match won't matter, it was definitely a 'Schaul moment' though no doubt :lol:

She started her comeback so strong, now she's struggling, but she has plenty of time to get it together for the big events in the spring/summer.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
The first set she played this year was awesome, since then it's been a bit :unsure: :lol:

Lindsay :lol: Guys don't get so down :hug: She had an awful day at the office, and it's FC, they can still win the tie, and are probably favourites since Ashley won her match, so this match won't matter, it was definitely a 'Schaul moment' though no doubt :lol:

She started her comeback so strong, now she's struggling, but she has plenty of time to get it together for the big events in the spring/summer.

I totally agree with you Daviator what's the point in getting so worked up over one match. Let's see if Lindsay can turn it around tommrrow. It sounds like the German number 1 isn't that bigger hitter as the girl who beat her today from what I've heard on GM so she might have a better chance of beating her and no one is going want quick redemption more than Lindsay and for the US to win the tie before the doubles so everyone can go home and watch the super bowl.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cmmoooon Lindsay, lets get it together tomorow :bounce:. I think she just had an off day guys, i am pretty confident that she will come out there tomorow with a new mind set.:bounce:

Elldee
Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Firstly, I don't really care about Fed Cup so i'm not too bothered. If this had been a real event then I'd care a lot more. I never want Lindsay to lose but I find this quite funny. Hopefully she'll rebound. Secondly, I think people are incorrectly changing their view about how well she played at the end of last year in light of this loss and the loss to Sharapova.. she played really well, better than this year and will play well again. She does, however, need to work on her movement and cut out these losses as otherwise everyone will believe they stand a good chance against her.

Elldee
Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
i like the outfit.

cheo23
Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Where is livestream??? :sad::sad::sad:

hurricanejeanne
Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just checked the weather for La Jolla and it's not good. It's been raining all day and doesn't look like it's going to stop. And it's pretty cold for Southern California standards too. Cold + Rain = Not good for Lindsay.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/USCA0565?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_business

hurricanejeanne
Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Play has been called off for the day. Play will resume tomorrow at 10am PST.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 4th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I just have a question. When was the last time it rain in La Jolla? Oh well the American players won't mind that much they can watch the super bowl.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
oh well its already 10:30 AM in La Jolla, any news on play progress?

king416
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
First set Davenport 6:1 :cool:

dybbuk
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
She was a little shaky in the beginning, her groundstrokes weren't there, she was allowing Goerges to step into the court too much, but her groundies have slowly picked up and she was dominating at the end. Not incredibly impressed so far, but it's an improvement from yesterday.

LindsayRulz
Feb 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
What the match is already started?

8 winners and 4 UEs in the first set is way better than the first set she played on Saturday :cool:

LindsayRulz
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
6-1 6-2 :rocker:

Dave.
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The Fed Cup homepage says this:

Davenport thrashes Malek

Lindsay Davenport got her team off to a flying start in La Jolla this morning, demolishing Tatjana Malek 60 61 in under an hour to give the United States a 2-1 lead.

Yet the livescore says she beat Julia Georges 6-1 6-2.

:confused:

ChampLindsay
Feb 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
well done Lindsay:hearts:

The Daviator
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Linds :yeah: Now just one more win and USA are through :bounce:

brayster87
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
whats happened to the scoreboard, its not working??????

harkleroad leads 6-4 0-1

hurricanejeanne
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Much better scoreline from Lindsay today. :banana: Just got in from work so I missed the match (but Tennis Channel will replay it later, methinks).

This tie will come down to doubles because Harkleroad is having issues with Lisicki.
Hopefully Linds/Lisa get finish it off if Ashley can't.

hurricanejeanne
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
whats happened to the scoreboard, its not working??????

harkleroad leads 6-4 0-1

Ashley leads 6-4, 3-4. Ashley just broke back.

brayster87
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
hurricanejeanne, is your scoreboard working?

Nikki
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well done Lindsay, hopefully Ashley can wrap the tie up:)

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
well done Lindsay!
come on Ashley, you can do this!!

LindsayRulz
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
USA won :rocker:

Time for doubles now :)

Lindsayfan32
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Good to see Lindsay put things back on track and by a very convincing score line. One loss was nothing to get panicked over even though it was a big surprise. Lindsay might replaced for the doubles as the tie is already won.

Elldee
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, give Laura some time on court. Plus, Lindsay's thigh was strapped yesterday [and today??].

LindsayRulz
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, give Laura some time on court. Plus, Lindsay's thigh was strapped yesterday [and today??].

Lindsay's playing right now, and I think her thigh isn't strapped today :

http://i28.tinypic.com/245dlx1.jpg

hurricanejeanne
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
hurricanejeanne, is your scoreboard working?

I was watching it live on Tennis Channel (and I am watching the doubles match now). :)

Linds/Lisa win the first set 6-2. :)

hurricanejeanne
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Linds/Lisa win 6-2, 6-0. :D

brayster87
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
If the doubles wasn't a beat down, I don't know what is

Go Lindsay,
a pretty good win by the USA overall

LindsayRulz
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
:yippee:

Lindsayfan32
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
:bounce:It seems Lindsay has well and truly got that first rubber loss out of her system and got her winning mojo back,:worship:

I knew Lindsay wouldn't lose a second fed cup match in the same tie. After the score line in the doubles I look forward to Lindsay and Lisa playing in the doubles in Memphis in three weeks time.

The Daviator
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
:bounce:It seems Lindsay has well and truly got that first rubber loss out of her system and got her winning mojo back,:worship:

I knew Lindsay wouldn't lose a second fed cup match in the same tie. After the score line in the doubles I look forward to Lindsay and Lisa playing in the doubles in Memphis in three weeks time.

:yeah:

USA won the tie and that's all that matters, now let's never speak of this loss again :lol:

Looking forward to Memphis and then of course IW and I'm really hopeful that will be a good event for Linds, she's a smart woman, the last few losses will have given her a wake-up call and I expect she'll be working really hard to improve in the next few weeks.

LADL
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM
February 4, 2008

Lindsay Davenport

LA JOLLA, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Lindsay, please.

Q. May seem like a silly question for a woman who has been on the Grand Slam final stage seven times, did you feel any pressure stepping on the court? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I just felt pressure more for my pride. Normally I've played so well in Fed Cup. Felt really bad for my teammates. I really felt like that was, you know, one of my worst matches in a long time. So I was really anxious and eager to try and turn it around today and get on the board for my teammates and give Ashley a chance to try and clinch the match.
Was happy I was able to do that. Very rarely in tennis do you get the opportunity to go back out on the court the next day or the day after a loss. And it's important to, you know, go back out there and start over again. And I was able to do that.
But most importantly I was able to win an important match for the team. And, like I said, we give ourselves two chances to try and clinch the tie.

Q. You seemed to be on right from the start today.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, a lot better. You know, I was trying to figure out a lot of things about what went wrong on Saturday and some of the things I could try to do better. You know, I was trying to do it out there.
I still felt like I have a little ways to go till I'm playing my best again. But, like I said, I was given the opportunity to go back out there immediately and try to fix what was wrong, and, more importantly, try to redeem myself in front of my teammates.
Happy I was able to do that and get us off to a good, commanding start on Monday and try and keep moving forward today.

Q. I suppose it doesn't matter there was a last-minute substitute.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, it didn't. They had told me yesterday they had switched the players. For me it was really all about me. Didn't matter who was on the other side of the court. I knew that I had to raise my game and do some things differently. That's what really I was more mentally trying to focus on.

Q. Did the rain delay help in a sense? Would you have preferred to go back out there immediately the next day?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I was ready to go yesterday. After Saturday night, you know, you only have a short amount of time in Fed Cup to really lament your loss. Had to put it behind me and start over. So I was eager to play yesterday.
But having said that, knowing when I woke up, saw the forecast, it was like a hundred percent chance of rain every hour for a long time.
You know, mentally I stayed ready and prepared to play if it was needed but kind of knowing that most likely it would not happen.

Q. In your warmup, did you feel like today was going to be a better day? Did you feel like you were hitting the ball better? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, I warmed up well the other day, then it just kind of fell apart in the match. But I did everything I could this morning. Luckily I'm an early riser because of my child.
Last night I went to bed at 9:30 and was up at 6. That's kind of the way I sleep. I was up in the gym at 6:30 trying to warm up, got to hit some, and just be as ready as I could to go at 10 a.m., which is very early for a match on the tour. It's not exactly super hot here.
I tried to get myself as ready as I could be to start at 10 a.m. Luckily was able to do that, get off to a good lead, and get the match over with quickly.

Q. How do you feel about your serve?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was better today. You know, the other day, I had a lot of problems with it. I think a lot of times my game revolves around my serve. I have more confidence in my groundies when I'm winning some free points and I'm serving well. So it all kind of goes together. It's hard to pick on one part of my game in particular because I think they all kind of flow into each other.
That was good that I was able to serve well today. I'm going to have to serve well in the doubles if it comes down to it, yup (laughter).

Q. What's the biggest difference between today and Saturday, your play or who was on the other side of the net? LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Could have been both. I mean, definitely the girl on Saturday came out just firing balls and because I hadn't seen her play wasn't expecting as hard a serve as I was getting.
But definitely if I play at a level higher, I don't think that I allow that girl to play as well as she did on Saturday.
You know, I played better today. Like I said, I still have some ways to go. But most importantly, got a victory, got the team up. Now we just have to wait and see what happens between Ashley and the doubles.

Q. Obviously you've been asked a lot of questions about your new role as a mom. I'm wondering how on a day-to-day basis, when it comes to match preparation, how you're dealing with wins and losses, how it affects you?
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, it's so funny because since I've been back, I haven't had that many losses. It's pretty crazy.
Saturday's loss I had to take actually quite seriously. You know, I was really disappointed, I mean, with how it went. Spent a lot of time talking to my coach and my husband, all my girlfriends that I'm lucky enough are here, Mary Joe, Lisa, Corina. Everyone was really great. I pretty put more emphasis on my loss from Saturday than I have in a really long time.
Last night was only maybe the third night I spent away from my baby. He went home with my husband. Was just trying -- knew today was going to be just a crazy day. I'll be up early with my singles, waiting to see if the doubles is live. So, you know, was really just trying to focus as hard as I could on the matches today for the team's sake and for the benefit of us advancing.
THE MODERATOR: Thank you, Lindsay.

LADL
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
February 4, 2008

Lindsay Davenport
Zina Garrison
Lisa Raymond

LA JOLLA, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: First question for the U.S. team, please.

Q. Zina, could you talk a little bit about your emotions today. After 1-1 on Saturday, things got dicey, then you had to sit around in the rain.
CAPTAIN GARRISON: I was up at about 6 o'clock this morning just kind of around. I was very eager. I walked into the players lounge, saw Lindsay, so I knew she was ready (laughter).
You know, it was just a matter of just going out there, like Lindsay and I talked in the beginning, just going out there and being the player we knew she was.
She went out there and played well. Ashley was a bonus. Ashley went out there and laid it on the line like I asked her to, came up with some good shots when she needed to.
It was just nice to see these two back out there again just enjoying and showing the way that doubles should be played. I mean, it was really nice. The volleys and the serve, it was beautiful to watch.

Q. Can all three of you talk about Ashley's performance this weekend. She's only 22, her first Fed Cup. CAPTAIN GARRISON: Yeah, I keep forgetting how young she is. I've tried for a couple times to get Ashley on the team just because, you know, I think she's very gifted. I mean, she's a good little athlete, runs down a lot of balls.
It was nice. This was the perfect tie for her to step up, and she did. Like she said yesterday, TeamTennis helped her a lot. I think it was nice.
LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I thought it was so great. I mean, she handled everything so well. I mean, you know, everyone was expecting her to be playing up 1-0 on Saturday, and she was thrown into a tough situation, down 1-0. She just played so well.
I mean, Zina and I were talking in Australia. I felt strongly, and so did Zina, that we wanted her to be playing the singles when Venus said she couldn't play. That's exactly why: she's tough, she's reliable. It's really great to see someone kind of make their breakthrough. It was fun watching her and cheering for her all weekend.

Q. Let's talk Russia, particularly the fact that we could be seeing Maria. Might make the team tougher. But clay. You have been there, you know what it's like. CAPTAIN GARRISON: Yeah, I mean, Russia, we know going into it, it's going to be tough. Lindsay's already given me the go ahead to go and to call those Williams (laughter).
But it's going to be tough. We know that we have to get through them if we want to get to the finals. I'm banking on that we possibly can. I'm going to do everything possible to get the best team there and go from there.
Once we're on the court, I feel we have a great opportunity to possibly finally win one there, so...

Q. Lisa, if you look at Ashley's game and you see her size, the fact she's not going to have that big, crushing serve like a lot of the players out there, but she is speedy, what does she need to do to on a week-in, week-out basis to really get up into the elite numbers there? LISA RAYMOND: Well, you know, Ashley has had a ranking -- I think her ranking does not reflect how good of a player she is right now. If I can remember, a few years ago I think she was in the top 30 or 40 in the world at one point. I think she had some injuries. So she's certainly capable of obviously getting back up there.
As Zina said, and Lindsay, she's a great little athlete, a lot of potential, and she's tenacious. I mean, she's a fighter. We saw that today. That wins a lot of tennis matches. It's not just about how you hit the ball; it's what's between the ears. She's obviously showed she's got a big heart and she's tenacious. You know, I'm sure she's got a good coach and they'll work on certain things.
Yeah, I mean, again, I think the biggest thing is her ranking does not reflect the player that she is.

Q. Zina, what is the toughest part of the job as Fed Cup captain? Obviously you're going to be in a situation now where you're going to play an away tie on clay, you're struggling to get players to commit. Has that been the toughest thing for you? CAPTAIN GARRISON: Yeah, the toughest thing is that, you know, they might tell you, yeah, they're going to play at that particular time. Something might come up. They're injured. There's tournaments in between. It's never just that easy as saying, Oh, yeah, I'll be there.
So it's just a matter -- I think it's a lot tougher than what people realize because, you know, there's months in between. You're still trying to figure out putting the right group of people together, as well. It's not always just -- I don't necessarily believe it's always just about the rankings. I mean, you've got to have that right gel.

Q. Ideally would I take a guess that Venus, Serena, Lindsay and Lisa would be ideal for Russia? CAPTAIN GARRISON: I didn't say that. Nothing against them or whoever. I mean, I really want the ones that are here right now just to enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to go to Russia, and I will think about what the team is from there. Hopefully all the ones that are here and the ones that are not here will be healthy and I can make a good choice.

Q. Lisa, after Ashley's win clinched the tie, did that make you look more forward to playing the doubles match?
LISA RAYMOND: No. I mean, I think, again, my job on this team was in case it were to come down to a fifth match, to be ready to go out there with Lindsay and to win the match. I mean, obviously to go out there with a lot less pressure as we did, kind of just have some fun and play well.
But, you know, again, if it came down to it, that's what I've been practicing for. That's why I was here on Tuesday and had the mindset that if it did come down to it, I was going to be ready.

Q. Lisa, when you go on the court and come back with the winning title and cheering crowd, how do you feel? LISA RAYMOND: Well, I think there's nothing better than going out there, especially in a situation like this, to play for your country, to have a crowd on your side. To not only win for your teammates, but also to win for a home crowd, especially to play in front of a USA crowd, it's an amazing feeling.
THE MODERATOR: Thank you very much.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
:yeah:

USA won the tie and that's all that matters, now let's never speak of this loss again :lol:

Looking forward to Memphis and then of course IW and I'm really hopeful that will be a good event for Linds, she's a smart woman, the last few losses will have given her a wake-up call and I expect she'll be working really hard to improve in the next few weeks.

I totally agree with you Daviator. The player who played on Saturday was an impostor and the real Lindsay came to play for the Monday matches. ;)

ChampLindsay
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=MbzHZdIbspE

A really cute video from Fed Cup 2008 USA- Germany kids day!
The players must answerd questions, and Lindsay is really cute and funny!
Lisa and Ashley are as well shown!:worship:

Nikki
Feb 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Well done Team USA:)

cheo23
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=MbzHZdIbspE

A really cute video from Fed Cup 2008 USA- Germany kids day!
The players must answerd questions, and Lindsay is really cute and funny!
Lisa and Ashley are as well shown!:worship:

OMG Lindsay :hearts::hearts::hearts:

cheo23
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I was watching it live on Tennis Channel (and I am watching the doubles match now). :)

Linds/Lisa win the first set 6-2. :)

Did you tape the match :sad::sad::sad: I am POOR and i don't have Tennis Channel!

Lindsayfan32
Feb 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
That video was funny. Lindsay should know by now you don't ask kids age related question as you may get answer you won't like but that was really funny.:lol: Also does anyone have video of the Monday matches that they could upload to megaupload for me I would really appreciate it.

cheo23
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM
That video was funny. Lindsay should know by now you don't ask kids age related question as you may get answer you won't like but that was really funny.:lol: Also does anyone have video of the Monday matches that they could upload to megaupload for me I would really appreciate it.

OMG I want them too!!!!!! PLease hurricanejane or someone ELse!!!!!!!!!!!!