PDA

View Full Version : Move over Old Guards... the Young Guns are coming through!!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Maria Sharapova "slams" past the #1, FO and USO Champion Justine Henin.

Jelena Jankovic "dethrones" the AO champion Serena Williams.

Ana Ivanovic "slaughters" Venus Williams, the Wimbledon Champion.

... and all of them are just under 23 years old!!!

The future of WTA is in good hands now!!! :bounce:

RenaSlam.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Cool shit.

Although Serena had completed her "Serena Slam" by twenty-one.

:wavey:

Bitch.

franny
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
This is actually really neat. What a big tourny for the young guns.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
Dude... I wasn't criticizing your fave. I'm really happy that a player other than Justine and the Williams holding up the trophy.

Poova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I was thinking the same. ;) It's about time the young guard took down some of the big guns, so I'm happy about that. :D

TomTennis
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
If anything it'll only spur on Venus/Serena/Henin to play better next time. Shame we didnt get to see them play the way they were at last year (Serena AO, Venus Wim, Justine USO) but there are 3 other slams left this year so not to worry.

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
If anything it'll only spur on Venus/Serena/Henin to play better next time. Shame we didnt get to see them play the way they were at last year (Serena AO, Venus Wim, Justine USO) but there are 3 other slams left this year so not to worry.

Agreed x 1000%

lightningquick
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
well let's all talk when the 2008 season is finished.

the thing is the serena/venus/henin triumvirate have proven themselves time and again, so we will see how maria and the serbs perform on the hard court(uso), grass, and clay majors if all three of the "old guards" are healthy.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Great thread. Yes, there are those who believe that the Williams sisters, Henin, Mauresmo and Davenport are immune to the aging process. This is demostrated in so many posts I read in this forum. Fact is they are not. They have all been great players. They are still have something left to offer too. But none of them are immune to the aging process. Age 27 tends to be when we see players reach past their peak. All these players are at that age, past it or fast approaching it.

Immense credit to ZeroSOFInfinity, a Henin fan, for not only not being afraid to acknowledge this but to actually welcome it.

The next five to seven years belong to players like Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Szavay, Radwanska, Chakvetadze, Golovin and a few others, not the Williams sisters, Henin, Davenport, Schnyder, Dementieva, Petrova, Davenport etc. This is just common sense folks. 2008 will be a year of serious upheaval in WTA tour. Sure Henin and Venus Williams particularly still have a lot to offer and certainly the capacity to win a couple more slams, but of out of the next 20 slams on offer, I suspect at least 17 are going to go to the younger generation.

This does not mean anyone needs to abandon support for ones favorites. But perhaps it does makes sense to recognise these favorites are moving into a different phase in their careers with different realistic expections.

Wayn77
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Good to see the new faces making it through to the business-end of a Slam.

Semi-Finals Day: let's not build expectations.

In recent times these big occasions have rarely been classics.

Even with the "old guard" - semi-finals are normally nervy, error-strewn affairs,
straight-sets beatdowns :tape: the most common denominator.

Hopefully "The Young Guns" rise to the occasion.

Greenout
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Ok- but what happens if Daniela wins the Australian Open? She's no Young Gun and has been on tour for years.

Daniela is only 1 year younger than Justine & 2 years younger Serena!

©@®eLess
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Reading all these threads here is way of finding what general public thinks too. No one expects Hantuchova, Ivanovic or Jankovic to win the slam, and thats what makes it easier for them, they show up their talent, they stick their tongues with injuries, they dont brag about it. For instance after maria's win Justine said there was some injury but it didnt affect her that much. If it really didnt affect that much, why did she have to say it. Venus went on the court with the strap that was just a make-up. They need to stop making excuses, and get in their heads that times other players considered them as godesses are gone!!!

mboyle
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Because of one grand slam? :confused: Maria has already established herself in the core 4. She might be young, but she's an established player who's already beaten Serena and Justine in slams. Jankovic has always had a good record against Serena. Ivanovic is the only one who proved anything, in my mind. Oh actually, hantuchova proved a hellufalot about herself and has a load to be proud of. She's been the most pleasant story of the week for me (other than 4 and love:devil: ). I had even written her off. Even last year, I wasn't sold that this was for real or it would last, but it did and it looks like it's going to continue.

RenaSlam.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Because of one grand slam? :confused: Maria has already established herself in the core 4. She might be young, but she's an established player who's already beaten Serena and Justine in slams. Jankovic has always had a good record against Serena. Ivanovic is the only one who proved anything, in my mind. Oh actually, hantuchova proved a hellufalot about herself and has a load to be proud of. She's been the most pleasant story of the week for me (other than 4 and love:devil: ). I had even written her off. Even last year, I wasn't sold that this was for real or it would last, but it did and it looks like it's going to continue.

Nice post. :worship:

lizchris
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cool shit.

Bitch.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

lizchris
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cool shit.

Bitch.

In addition, Venus swept the Olympics when she was 20, which none of these players will be when the games commence in August except Ana and believe me, she will not get a gold in singles and doubles.

RenaSlam.
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
bump.

Floydrose
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM
In addition, Venus swept the Olympics when she was 20, which none of these players will be when the games commence in August except Ana and believe me, she will not get a gold in singles and doubles.

And???????????????

Dju , some people here :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The writer made her opinion about future WTA. Where the hell did she implicate william's past accomplishments????????????

Serena blablabla
Venus blablabla

Fed up!!!!!

Make room for other players please....

Players older than the williams had better career before they start playing tennis.
Accept turn over and stop living in the past.

Mightymirza
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah such a contrast from the last slam!! Is it partly because this is a new surface?? :confused:

Dawn Marie
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Don't count out Williams X2 and Henin. They all 3 can win alot more slams in the future.

vejh
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM
New surface, new guns.lol.

-VSR-
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Why do you make so many threads? :lol:

Anyway, I'm sure the "old guards" will be back for success at Miami and the rest of the grand slams.

Zhao
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Does these young guns have what it takes to dethrone Justine in RG as well as Venus Williams in Wimbledon? :p:p

Seyz
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I love Serena, Venus, and Lindsay, but I know they can't play forever, but they're not over the hill yet.
I say early 30s (if Agassi can do it, so can the girls) so a couple of years left for the older generation, but we're beginning to see the upcoming stars.

Peterk07
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I think "old guards" are still there and will be around for another year or two. But the new generation is definitely closing up, competition is bigger than last year. Who knows what will happen. Personally, I think, the Williams sisters won't reach top4-5 any more, but they still may have a shot at a GS. Henin, in the other hand, will be in top3 for another year or two.

In 2-3 years time I think the top10 will change almost completely. Maria and Ana will still be there, but the rest of the players will either retire or drop their rankings, including the Williamses, Henin, Kuzny, Bartoli, Jankovits, etc. And a new generation of players will take their place: Azarenka, Szavay, the Randwanskas, Paszek, and even younger talents.

Rome
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I hope my son becomes the next face of atp tennis however i dont know if he should have a one handed back or two handed backhand

Marcus1979
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I think "old guards" are still there and will be around for another year or two. But the new generation is definitely closing up, competition is bigger than last year. Who knows what will happen. Personally, I think, the Williams sisters won't reach top4-5 any more, but they still may have a shot at a GS. Henin, in the other hand, will be in top3 for another year or two.

In 2-3 years time I think the top10 will change almost completely. Maria and Ana will still be there, but the rest of the players will either retire or drop their rankings, including the Williamses, Henin, Kuzny, Bartoli, Jankovits, etc. And a new generation of players will take their place: Azarenka, Szavay, the Randwanskas, Paszek, and even younger talents.

Venus is #6 at the end of this event
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=236674

and she has nothing to defend in the next few months.
R16 at Miami in the next few months is about it I think from memory

Rome
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:34 AM

yep

Rome
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM
where will miss Serena rank be after this AO ?

Poova
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM
where will miss Serena rank be after this AO ?
#10.

Check the link Marcus1979 posted, it has the entire top 800 or so. :p

Marcus1979
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Serena will be at #10

Peterk07
Jan 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Yep. But only Sharapova is in reach, and she is playing in her best form ever. The others are 1000 points ahead. Clay season is coming, the strongest surface of the Serbs, Kuzny and Henin, and the weakest of Venus's.

Venus needs a better clay season than maybe ever, otherwise she has to win in Wimbledon to keep herself in the top 6-8. I don't say it's not possible, I just say I personally don't see this coming.

hwanmig
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
You know this young guns your talking about won't be in two years time.

Cat123
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It's weird, I don't see Maria in the "young guns" catagory at all. She's a 2x GS champion, she can't be! But she's only 20 and therefore not in the same catagory as the Williams sisters or Henin. She's a catagory all of her own, I kinda like that!

sorceress
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Old chooks all the waaaay!

skanky~skanketta
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm still pissed that Justine was bagelled. Bitter bitter pill that one, but this is good. I'm glad I like the Serbians, so after the sisters and Justine have faded, I'll still have someone to cheer. That has always been a fear of mine. When Arantxa was fading the sisters and Belgians came along. I was lucky enough to like them when they were nobodies cuz it was great to see them get to the top. But recently, the girls that I like seem to be sucking/not showing top 10 potential, eg Mirza, Karantantcheva, Paszek, Azarenka. I'm glad that Ivanovic and Jankovic are two of them in the list who have chances at making it to #1 and winning slams.

I'm not so worried anymore, I still have faves to cheer on.

Seyz
Jan 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Jankovic is only 22 right? And Ivanovic even younger , right?

I think right now in the young ones category..
Maria leads the pack for sure..
followed by Jelena Jankovic and Ivanovic
The rest of the field is pretty open.
I would like to see Sania Mirza get up there too. She has so much potential .

The Witch-king
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jezebel/2010/10/ewjj101410.gif

No.

flareon
Jan 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM

LOL!
:spit::spit::spit::help: