PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams. Worst volleyer in the Top 10.

GoDominique
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Do you agree?

Mightymirza
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
serens is still in top 10 right??

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:03 AM
You really are digusting, you have nothing better to do than sit spew your venom about the Williams sisters. You probably would be a lot happier in your life if you didn't focus on being so negative all the time ;)

Wannabeknowitall
Oh hell no.
Did you see some of the volleys Kuzzie killed during her match against Radwanska.
They were awful.

VeeReeDavJCap81
serens is still in top 10 right??

Yes, as well as Maria.

cellophane
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
No. Stop starting dumb threads.

40-0
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Sharapova and Venus are tight there.
Venus has no confidence tho at net sad cause she has the best attributes to do so.
Sharapova doesnt have the hands... But can pull a lucky trick once in a while.

sfselesfan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I guess the fact that she's 70% at net for the tournament isn't a factor?

SF

new-york
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
Godomdom has a point though.

You usually finish the point at the net but during this AO, Venus' looked really bad.
Most of the time the opponent had a shot at reaching the ball.
Nice that she played conservatively to avoid an early upset but at the net, you kill.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
lol i can see the froth...lol

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Do you agree?

Totally disagree lol....I think you are a little heated at her..because she didnt execute them right tonight. Venus actually is in the top 3 (Mauresmo, Venus, and Henin) Venus was off all tournament...too patchy..so she didnt excute her volleys like she normally does.

wayitis
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
a bait thread, I see :lol:... Venus's volleys are not technically very sound, she gets away with them because of her incredible reach and stamina and also because most of them are easy put-aways anyway... said that, she still has one of the most effective volleys out there, her fierce groundstrokes allow her to come behind usually very good approach shots and the intimidating factor of having a quick 6 over footer player rushing the net make most opponents go for too much or nothing at all... we cannot forget that most players are not used to having a net rusher on the other side of the court, and passing shots are not a weapon they use or train often... as with most taller players, Venus has trouble with low dipping passing shots, especially when directed against her body, she does a better job when she has to reach out for the ball and stab the ball back over the net; also, as with most double-handed backhand players, the backhand volley is the harder shot, the wrist is not as firm like the forehanded one and the backswing bigger... she did miss a lot of high volleys tonight though, which is uncharacteristic...

I have seen a lot of fans on this board overrate their favorite player's volley skills anyway, very few players have quick hands and firm wrists to volley really well, Sugiyama, Hingis and Lisa Raymond being among them. TV commentators also do that, but that is part of their job, they always have to talk the match and the player up in order to make it more entertaining...

Cakeisgood
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Kuzzy is worse. But Vee isn't doing too hot either.

homogenius
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
She's bad but maybe not the worst.A lot of top10 players suck at volleying too.

svetaisthebest
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:36 AM
at least Svetlana gets to net and plays some decent volleys unlike some other players :tape:

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
She was today.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Godom has a point. She's not the worst, but she is pretty bad at it these days, and it cost her big today. I think part of it is that she reacts too slowly, and positioning. But i'm not a technical expert so, these are just lay observations.

Venus to me doesn't stick her vollies as crisply as say a Justine or a Momo. She really needs to work on her drop volley as well, many of them are more than half up the service box, and some go beyond the service line. Her vollies work at Wimbledon because they just die on the grass, but on hard courts her opponents have time to get to them. And I do agree that she has trouble getting to low diping vollies (which most players do) and I think it's partly do to her lankyness.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
as I watched the match I actually thought that when it comes to the traditional volley. Obviously not the drive volley though

eck
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Fine. Her volleys weren't good this tournament. But one tournament destroys her entire profiling of an excellent volleyer? :tape:

Jogi
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
at least her volleys make me laugh, Sharapova's tries on the other hand actually make me :sad:

Steff_forever
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Most of the pure baseline players haven't learned to play an encouraged smash. These drive-volleys or semi-drive-volleys are more similar to a high forehand than to a smash - they often don't work.

But to say that Venus is the worst volleyer is just a sign of neglecting all the others. So this thread seems more about Venus-bashing than the drive-volley problem itself.

tennisvideos
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
I disagree. She may have had a bad match but normally she is a very sound volleyer. I watched Venus and Serena in doubles the other day and Venus was in fact fantastic at the net - she astonished me with some of her brilliant volleys. This was when they beat Tu & Ani. So I would say she is normally quite a good volleyer.

Avid Merrion
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
a bait thread, I see :lol:...

yep, and still people fall for it every time :lol:

Rollo
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Judging her volleying on one substandard match is grossly unfair. I would actually go the other way and nominate her as one of the best volleyers-surely not the worst.

Venus has the best swinging volleys on tour by far-no one who saw her win her first US Open will ever forget those volleys in her critical match vs. Hingis. And you don't win 4 Wimbledons (tops for her generation) without a volley. Her Wimbledon titles are a testament to her ability to volley.

vettipooh
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Judging her volleying on one substandard match is grossly unfair. I would actually go the other way and nominate her as one of the best volleyers-surely not the worst.

Venus has the best swinging volleys on tour by far-no one who saw her win her first US Open will ever forget those volleys in her critical match vs. Hingis. And you don't win 4 Wimbledons (tops for her generation) without a volley. Her Wimbledon titles are a testament to her ability to volley.

:yeah: So true!! But some (Godumb) rather kick you when you're down, than remember the good stuff.

RenaSlam.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Let's critisize Venus and these other players for having the willingness to come to net...:tape: :retard: :fuckyouGoDom:

JeLeNaJfAn
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I Love Her but I Think Jelena is the worst volleyer, haha

Dodoboy.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Maria looks bad because she isn't a natural at the net.

Sylwiiia
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Venus volleys are okay but yesterday they sucked. Give her a break.

sunset
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Do you agree?

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080123/capt.xmel17501230519.australia_open_tennis_xmel175 .jpg

Down goes Venus! Yesssssssssss!

Venus Rubbed Out!

This is the end of the road for the Williams Brothers.
To answer your question. Venus nor Serena can't volley to save their life. They never could. They have always been and always will be one dimensional players. But the jig is up. Venus just got owned by this beautiful tennis babe. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080117/capt.mel23501171032.australia_open_tennis_mel235.j pg

Viktymise
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Using 1 match just to say she's the worst volleyer in the top-10 is completely retarded.

Anyone who thinks players like Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Chakvetadze, Bartoli or Kuznetsova even are better at the net than Venus must never have watched tennis prior to this tournament. :o

Viktymise
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080123/capt.xmel17501230519.australia_open_tennis_xmel175 .jpg

Venus Rubbed Out!

To answer your question. Venus nor Serena can't volley to save their life. They never could. They have always been and always will be on dimensional players. But the jig is up. Venus just got owned by this beautiful tennis babe. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080117/capt.mel23501171032.australia_open_tennis_mel235.j pg

Maybe you should watch Venus v Ivanovic at the USO to see how pathetic Ivanovic was at net. Im sure Brie Whitehead would have given her a run for her money for volleying technique. :o

LOL @ saying Venus is one-dimensional and having Ivanovic in the same sentence.

HenryMag.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Bartoli's and Serena's volleys are worst.

supergrunt
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Venus is the best volleyer in the top ten. Henin is over-rated; she couldn't hit one low volley yesterday.

supergrunt
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

Venus Rubbed Out!

To answer your question. Venus nor Serena can't volley to save their life. They never could. They have always been and always will be on dimensional players. But the jig is up. Venus just got owned by this beautiful tennis babe. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:unsure:

Michael!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Vee is a good volleyer! Today it wasn´t just her day...:fiery:
but normally she is a good net player ;)

Dodoboy.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
what is this board's obsession with Brie Whitehead?

Nicolás89
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
She volleyed so bad in her last match. :o
Anyway, every top 100 player should be able to volley better than Chakvetadze, so.... :shrug:

Finishing the point at the net is not necessarily a volley.

Nicolás89
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Venus is the best volleyer in the top ten. Henin is over-rated; she couldn't hit one low volley yesterday.

Venus couldn't hit one effective low volley all her tennis career, but I agree she is the best volleyer there, although not this tournament.

Destiny
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Venus had a bad day
just because of that doesn't make her the worst volleyer they are worse way worse out there than her

serenus_2k8
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
:lol: I love how the Ana fans go from being filled with doubt to 'Ana is the better player. She volleys soooo much better, Venus has no chance vs her. Oh and shes gorgeous.'

Venus lost, Ana played fantastic. Ana had nothing to lose, was full of confidence and very fit and Venus was far from that. It doesnt suddenly make Ana a tennis God who can destroy Venus whenever she wishes. I cant wait for their next encounter so that these sad ass fans can crawl back into the woodwork. :rolleyes:

felipe2004
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
maybe yesterday she wasn't good at volleying but the answer is definetly NO

SV_Fan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
No. She's actually pretty good.

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4197/poompoomshortsrs6.jpg

Bruno71
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I Love Her but I Think Jelena is the worst volleyer, haha

Oh come on guys...Bartoli & Chakvetadze are still in the top 10 :lol:

dylan24
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
venus' volleys yesterday vs ivanovic were a fucking joke

davidmario
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Definitely NOT! :wavey:

Chunchun
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM
It's known that everything of Venus is a *worst* outside Wimbledon :o

Adaora
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I can't imagine anyone else in the top 10 who volleys much better...Serena? Sharapova? Ivanovic? Kuzzy? Yeah right! there aren't that many good volleyers in womens tennis these days unfortunately. But Venus is still one of the best among the top players.

VeeJJ
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Maria nd Chaky r probaly the worst.

azinna
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
She's great when she truly practices, prepares, is committed to it as a part of her game. But that's often from June-September.

Uranium
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Serena's backhand volley is :o
Venus has amazing volleys (reach, swinging and stab volleys)

hankqq
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Maybe Venus just had a bad day when this thread was started? Usually she's one of the best...

What I love is that she employs both traditional 1-handed volleys AND modern swinging volleys. Most players only do one or the other.

gmokb
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I don't know if she is but I do know that you don't need to be a master at all shots to be a great tennis player. She just won, on her way to play in her 7th Wimbledon final, possible win her 5th title and you couldn't create a post on her strengths, just her weakness? Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tennisstar86
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Venus is like the only player in the top ten that knows how to hit volleys with Henin gone....

LucasArg
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM
No, I don't agree with the title of this thread.

Venus has a great volley.

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM
:rolls: GoDominique is such a great Williams Fan!!

Sander.
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Not worst:p, but bad

Sander.
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
*Not THE worst

~Eclipsed~
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
:rolleyes:

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:47 AM
exactly the opposite. best volleyer of all time.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Venus probably has the BEST volleys in the top 10.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:57 AM
:rolleyes:

:worship:

Does it really matter when you can win Wimbledon 4 or 5 times...:angel:.

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
To be fair. This was posted, on purpose I add, after the Ivanovic QF. Venus' volleys were absolutely horrid in that match. However, her whole game was off, not just her volleys.

Venus' volleys are obviously not the worst. :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't say she is the most consistant volleyer. She has good games and bad games at the net. Overall she is amongst the better volleyers in the top 10. But the fact that she is able to come in to the net off very big serves, combined with what is without doubt the best coverage at the net of any contemporary player make her very formidable at the net position.

I should add because Venus's net coverage and anticipation is so exceptionally good while her actual volleying skills although fairly good, are hardly outstanding, several players have quite rightly recognised the best way to beat Venus at the net is to hit the ball right at her with pace, jamming her, or with spin to make the ball dip. Venus struggles quite often copping with these volleys. If you try a passing shot Venus will usually find a way to cover it and normally puts these volleys away.

vesanto
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, sometimes her volleys suck big time.

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I don't know if she is but I do know that you don't need to be a master at all shots to be a great tennis player. She just won, on her way to play in her 7th Wimbledon final, possible win her 5th title and you couldn't create a post on her strengths, just her weakness? Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread started in January, just so you know.

Keaka
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
She's closer to the best volleyer in the top 10 than the worst volleyer in the top 10 :shrug:

lympyisthebest
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
To be fair. This was posted, on purpose I add, after the Ivanovic QF. Venus' volleys were absolutely horrid in that match. However, her whole game was off, not just her volleys.

Venus' volleys are obviously not the worst. :)

I remember that match. :tape: :tape:

But generally, her and Sveta are the best volleyers in the top 10.

GoDominique
Nov 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Bump due to popular demand. :)

Uranium
Nov 11th, 2008, 01:09 AM
dDYimdHdHP4
:worship: