PDA

View Full Version : Pam Shriver said on ESPN that Serena fought with her mother-that's why she lost badly

J_Migoe
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
I was watching the interview during the Nadal-Iminen match. She actually said there were some bad argument between the 2 during practice.

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Wrong Serena beat herself

serenus_2k8
Omg reli? :eek:

mckyle.
I'm sure both reasons are correct!

sfselesfan
If she fought with Saint Oracene, she deserved to lose!

BTW - I think this is complete BS.

SF

Bijoux0021
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I was watching the interview during the Nadal-Iminen match. She actually said there were some bad argument between the 2 during practice.
:lol:

Did Pam actually say that's why Serena lost?

Bruno71
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
You've gotta be kidding me.

danieln1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
So, it was a really bad argument, for Serena to play as bad as she did

Willam
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
:o Bs..

Babolatpro880
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
This is a new and profound way of once again not giving any credit to Serena's opponent. Amazing.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I was waiting for a thread like this to start. We almost made it a couple of days before someone had to break the excuse free run we had going.

SF

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
she fought with her mother because she was playing so poorly in the practice?

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Oracene was watching the match, didn't she?

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Blaming losing a Grand Slam match on a fight with your mother? That's the stupidest, most feeble . . . no, no wait a minute.

Yeah, a fight with your mother. That's it. Yeah, that's a real good excuse for getting bagled by Masha. Absolutely. Happens all the time.

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I don't believe Shriver.

QuicKyMonSter
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Iminen :haha::haha:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
That's a new one :tape:

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Henin was in a perpetual "fight" with her family yet she managed to beat Jankovic and win slams.

J_Migoe
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
My apologies people. Shriver basically said she was surprised with Serena's performance and then blurted that Serena had a bitter argument with her mother earlier in the day and that 'she was in foul mood all day' as a result. She suggested that what happened during practice may have really affected Serena's performance in the quarter final.
I dont know if Shriver was trying to stir something up but its funny Serena made no mention of it in her press conference..me thinks!!

the jamierbelyea
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Blaming losing a Grand Slam match on a fight with your mother? That's the stupidest, most feeble . . . no, no wait a minute.

Yeah, a fight with your mother. That's it. Yeah, that's a real good excuse for getting bagled by Masha. Absolutely. Happens all the time.

Serena didn't make an excuse herself, Pam just said it on the telecast..

Masha? What does Justine have to do with this.. Obviously Henin didn't have a fight her mom, rest in peace

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
My apologies people. Shriver basically said she was surprised with Serena's performance and then blurted that Serena had a bitter argument with her mother earlier in the day and that 'she was in foul mood all day' as a result. She suggested that what happened during practice may have really affected Serena's performance in the quarter final.
I dont know if Shriver was trying to stir something up but its funny Serena made no mention of it in her press conference..me thinks!!

or as I said... Serena was playing like **** for whatever reason in practice... she was pissed for whatever reason (as we saw with her smacking her racquet on the ground) her mom yelled at her as any adult does to a child and she as a brat got pissed.....) she continued to play poorly in her match, but not cause of a fight with her mom. And moms being moms always support their bratty kids regardless of sentiment so why wouldnt she show up to the match..

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Henin was in a perpetual "fight" with her family yet she managed to beat Jankovic and win slams.Yeah, because Henin is a better, stronger person than Serena. Hell, since this thread is about Henin, let's just go on and declare her the best ever @ everything in life. You know, since this thread is about her and all.:rolleyes:

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know about a fight with her mom, but it wouldn't surprise me. Nor would it surprise me that Serena- believing in some silly way that she's getting back at her mom- would go out and give a poor effort. She seems that she can be bratty that way. In fact, if you go back and listen to the clip from Serena's press conference, Serena starts to say she didn't give her best effort then catches herself and doesn't complete it.

And for those of you who say Serena didn't give JJ credit your simply wrong and believing what you'd LIKE to believe. You should take more issue with myself and other posters who say JJ didn't do anything special to beat Serena.

There was a post somewhere from Bruno71 which I thought summed it up nicely- and he's a renowned JJ fan.

NeoZod19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
absolute none sense!!!!

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, because Henin is a better, stronger person than Serena. Hell, since this thread is about Henin, let's just go on and declare her the best ever @ everything in life. You know, since this thread is about her and all.:rolleyes:

:bs: Go to almost every thread about Henin, you will find 80% of the posts are about Williams.

hotandspicey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well they did show a clip of her during practice right before the match, vividly upset and slamming her racket like she was beating the sh*t outta someone. She is only human, you know, and something was definitely disturbing her. however she should be experienced enough to not bring "it' to the courts. Her title defence was at stake and she should have shown true grit like the champion she is. mais, c'est la vie. you win some you lose some.

Avid Merrion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Serena didn't make an excuse herself, Pam just said it on the telecast..

exactly, but why let the facts get in the way of sticking the boot into Serena again? :rolleyes:
Pam is such a gossip mongerer :lol: love it!

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
:bs: Go to almost every thread about Henin, you will find 80% of the posts are about Williams.Please.....every thread on this board in GM is about either Venus or Serena. That's besides the point.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM

They are talking about Serena, not Henin.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, because Henin is a better, stronger person than Serena. Hell, since this thread is about Henin, let's just go on and declare her the best ever @ everything in life. You know, since this thread is about her and all.:rolleyes:
Well, almost 80% of the threads in this forum revolve around Serena and Venus. Henin needs love too.;)

MisterMan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Did you see when Shriver ran to the Williams box to see what was 'wrong' with her ? She was chatting away with the blonde chick (manager) and Oracene did not even turn around to entertain Pam.

The camera went to it two or three times and not one time did Oracene even look at Pam who was sitting across the aisle from her talking to the woman next to O ! Lol Pam got owned.

Yasmine
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I think this board has reached a new high in terms of the dumbest excuses ever. I trust Serena to be much more professional than that and surely not to let such an even affect her play.

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Please.....every thread on this board in GM is about either Venus or Serena. That's besides the point.

Please...then don't be a brat and accept others to talk about any other player in time to time. Besides Reuchlin, for more retarted he could be, was not talking fish heads.

kolan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
even if this were true, i dont see it as an excuse why she lost. thats why they are professionals. they play for a lot of money, pride, glory and love for tennis. nothing else should enter thier heads (especially in a grand slam) - if it does there is something wrong :shrug:

jankovic was just better

KBdoubleu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
A fight with your Mom does not make your average serve speed go down more than 10 mph. Clearly something physically was wrong with her

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Please...then don't be a brat and accept others to talk about any other player in time to time. Besides Reuchlin, for more retarted he could be, was not talking fish heads.:haha: @ you calling someone a brat. This board is hilarious!

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
...nothing else should enter thier heads (especially in a grand slam) - if it does there is something wrong :shrug:

jankovic was just better

Yes nothing else "should", but clearly something DID, and therefore something was wrong.

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
:haha: @ you calling someone a brat.

Sure. :unsure:

mykarma
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
This is a new and profound way of once again not giving any credit to Serena's opponent. Amazing.
I think everyone has given Jankovic her credit but even you know that Serena didn't play her game. Even so, I don't think a fight with her mother would cause her to play like that, I think it was just one of those days.

mykarma
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Why would Shriver think it was anyone's business what happened between a player and their parent.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Actually this could be right. During the match they showed Serena at practice and Oracene was there. At one point Serena was really frustrated and smashing her racquet but Oracene just looked at her with a smug look on her face.

Serena also kept looking up in the stands during the match.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Well of course Serena won't bring it up in the press conference. That's obvious.

eugreene2
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
:lol: all time low for a thread

perseus2006
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
So, what you are telling me is that Serena had an arguement with her mother. Then, just to spite her mother, Serena tanked the match with Jelena.

It certainly is an imaginative excuse, even for the Williams'.

Serena is clearly over-hyped, over-blown and over-fed but even she certainly has more character than that excuse would suggest. However, send an email to A.S.

In The Zone
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think Serena tanked the match BECAUSE of her mother.

And I don't think Serena tanked. But this reason would be Serena didn't play her best because she was bothered.

Whatever the reason, I doubt it's real. The Williams' are very private about theirlives. The only time they talk is when they are making bold, ridiculous predictions about how great they are. I doubt they would confess to a mother/daughter fight.

sorceress
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hmmm well whatever they fought about it must have been pretty big,cause Serena was angry.

Tennis Fool
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Maybe Serena will blog about it :shrug:

I can see a fight affecting performance, if Oracene said something like, "The only reason I gave birth to you was for you to make me money" or something to that effect. Not that that's what happened.

miffedmax
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
They are talking about Serena, not Henin.

Doesn't anyone look at an avatar these days?

Justine isn't the only one to get pounded on by Masha this week. Somebody famous for hanging out with her mother did.

mp3junkie
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
That's so stupid. It's BS:o

gmokb
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM

Shutr the hell up. Serena did not say that was the reason. The commentators were speculating on why and they mentiomned the fight with her Mom, injury etc. Serena still has not given a reason fo rthe loss.

gmokb
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
MAybe she should have concentrate on Maria and preventing a bagel. At least Serena was not blown off the court like the great Justine was.

sweetpeas
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Pam didn"t say that!She thought Serena was mentally drain!!!!!!!!

stevos
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I love how people didn't know Max was talking about Elena. :haha:
Yes, Justine argued with her mom. :unsure: Wow.

stevos
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Doesn't anyone look at an avatar these days?

Justine isn't the only one to get pounded on by Masha this week. Somebody famous for hanging out with her mother did.

Oops, beat me there. :lol:
I hope Elena and Vera have sorted things out. :awww:

drake3781
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM
I've been so upset over an argument that I basically cannot function. It can and does happen. If any of you have not, you still have to think it can happen to some people.

Poor timing, of course.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:20 AM

OMG! :spit: So you finally admit it! :lol:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:22 AM

Uh, Henin was bageled today my Shrieky, and isn't her mother already passed away? So, she couldn't have used that excuse. So....your point is...?!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
I've been so upset over an argument that I basically cannot function. It can and does happen. If any of you have not, you still have to think it can happen to some people.

Poor timing, of course.

I believe it definitely can and does happen. But you don't tell anybody about it when it does. Not in this case. Although, we don't know if Serena told Pam this do we? How did Pam find out? Is this even true?

drake3781
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I believe it definitely can and does happen. But you don't tell anybody about it when it does. Not in this case. Although, we don't know if Serena told Pam this do we? How did Pam find out? Is this even true?

I suspect Pam caught some gossip. :p Surely there were plenty of people watching Serena practice.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:38 AM

Well then Justine had an awful fight with Carlos before the match as well.
Just awful. :lol:

matty
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
IMO, Serena is suffering from depression.

Serena!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I believe it. I mean if you watch the match there was clearly something bothering Serena, and nobody knew what is was because she wouldn't talk about it. And Serena and Oracene are very close so I'm sure when they get in fights it weighs down hard on both of them.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
how about Serena stops making excuses and gets some MORE match play. that should bring her some more slams, whether or not she's fighting with her Mother or not. get your shit together Serena and stop making excuses!

Lindsayfan32
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Why Serena lost is really simple. Jelena out played her. I watched the end of the match and really enjoyed watching Serena lose as she is the most graceless winner and even more graceless loser. I can't stand the way she makes excuses for loses and never give the opponent credit for playing a good match against her. Lindsay has more grace and humility in her little finger than Serena has in her whole body.

LANGAM
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
how about Serena stops making excuses and gets some MORE match play. that should bring her some more slams, whether or not she's fighting with her Mother or not. get your shit together Serena and stop making excuses!

Why Serena lost is really simple. Jelena out played her. I watched the end of the match and really enjoyed watching Serena lose as she is the most graceless winner and even more graceless loser. I can't stand the way she makes excuses for loses and never give the opponent credit for playing a good match against her. Lindsay has more grace and humility in her little finger than Serena has in her whole body.

Firstly Serana did not make any excuses for losing, Pam Shriver did. Secondly She did acknowledge that Jelena played a better match than she did. What do you want her to do worship at her opponents feet for you to finally say she is humble and giving credit where it is due:confused:
If the world was full of humble pple it sure would be a boring place to live.

Mikey.
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well then Justine had an awful fight with Carlos before the match as well.
Just awful. :lol:

It must have been a really really bad right then hey :haha:

serenus_2k8
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM

WTF Serena went out of her way to show their was no excuse. Davenport needs the humility, she sure had little to get big headed about compared to Ree :help:

I think its possible. Plus, she would not want to say anything to the media if it was about her mum, but she did say her body seemed fine? It wouldnt surprise me if thats why she left straight away, and why Vee seemed somewhat unfocused too.

Dodoboy.
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I am disheartened to see even Serena fans are being so stupid.
Serena has tried very hard not too make excuses now this comes up and we are jumping on her!...she didn't even say this!..

This isn't too far from what could have happened!

partbrit
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Shriver did not say that. She said that Serena fought with her mother, and perhaps that was a contributing factor.

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Anybody that thinks that a player won't tank because they're mad at their Mom doesn't know their history. All you have to do is go back and look at Hingis! Her fights with her Mom CLEARLY affected her play. It's not so hard to imagine Serena responding equally..., bratty. Serena (though I love her dearly) is a bit spoiled and, in that sense, she and Hingis have a bit in common.

So all I'm saying is you can't simply dismiss this explanation out of hand. :shrug:

jamatthews
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I love how people didn't know Max was talking about Elena. :haha:
Yes, Justine argued with her mom. :unsure: Wow.

Same here. :lol:

-VSR-
Jan 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I find it disrespectful of some of these posters making a joke about Justine's mothers death. "Justine got into a fight with her mother before her match"... why would you say something like this, when you know her mother died when she was a kid. This message board has zero class.

sfselesfan
Jan 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM

Why are you attributing this "excuse" to Serena? I realize that she's made excuses in the past, but this one is a rumor Pam is spreading. Unless you hear it from the horse's mouth, don't attribute it to her.

SF

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
IMO, Serena is suffering from depression.
I think so too.

Jakeev
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM
WTF Serena went out of her way to show their was no excuse. Davenport needs the humility, she sure had little to get big headed about compared to Ree :help:

I think its possible. Plus, she would not want to say anything to the media if it was about her mum, but she did say her body seemed fine? It wouldnt surprise me if thats why she left straight away, and why Vee seemed somewhat unfocused too.
WTF why are you freaking bringing Lindsay into it? Why do people have to bring other players into arguments when it has nothing to do with them?

Damn it people regardless of what freaking happened, Serena lost at the Australian Open. It's over and she is already moving on.

How bout the rest of u doing that.........

J_Migoe
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Bother

Mrs. Peel
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM
lol@ people attacking Serena for something she didn't even say :lol::lol::rolleyes:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Wrong Serena beat herself

Exactly

Nicolás89
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Anybody that thinks that a player won't tank because they're mad at their Mom doesn't know their history. All you have to do is go back and look at Hingis! Her fights with her Mom CLEARLY affected her play. It's not so hard to imagine Serena responding equally..., bratty. Serena (though I love her dearly) is a bit spoiled and, in that sense, she and Hingis have a bit in common.

So all I'm saying is you can't simply dismiss this explanation out of hand. :shrug:

:bs:
It may affect her play but she would not just tank a match because of a fight with her mom, Serena did not tank, if you would have seen the match you would know.

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
:bs:
It may affect her play but she would not just tank a match because of a fight with her mom, Serena did not tank, if you would have seen the match you would know.

I saw it. It looked like she tank. I saw the ENTIRE match.

Robshots
Jan 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe she did, maybe she was outplayed. Will we ever know?