PDA

View Full Version : So... Henin... what's up?

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Let me just say that i actually felt sorry for her watching that. She looked like a deer caught in headlights, hyperventilating and clearly trembling. Like one of those farm yard animals that knows - it's next in line for the slaughter! It must have been so humiliating for the so called 'dominant world number one' who is in her 'PEAK' period... to be totally outclassed dragged around court like an old mop, and the mercy of Sharapova. She was torn to shreads, stomped on and damn right violated. To top it all off she was bagelled... as though a huge lump of salt was tossed onto her unrecognisable remains... :awww:

That said, she has been pretty flat at the start of this year. Why do you think she hasn't been able to reproduce the form that gave her so much confidence, and propelled her to end the year in style?

Did she not have enough rest in the OFF season? Does she have some kind of injury woe? Or did the pressure of being expect to win everything get to her?

OR IYO was she just playing fine, and finally ran into a better player? :shrug:

Your thoughts please. :)

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
At least she didn't get beaten by Casey Dellacqua :tape:

She got beat by the in-form player.

Denise4925
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
:lol: I think she just finally ran into a better player on the day.

I may be wrong, but when Serena was No. 1, I don't remember her ever getting bagelled. :p

serenus_2k8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM

I may be wrong, but when Serena was No. 1, I don't remember her ever getting bagelled. :p

:lol: Oh the Henin fans will not like that.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Let me just say that i actually felt sorry for her watching that. She looked like a deer caught in headlights, hyperventilating and clearly trembling. Like one of those farm yard animals that knows - it's next in line for the slaughter! It must have been so humiliating for the so called 'dominant world number one' who is in her 'PEAK' period... to be totally outclassed dragged around court like an old mop, and the mercy of Sharapova. She was torn to shreads, stomped on and damn right violated. To top it all off she was bagelled... as though a huge lump of salt was tossed onto her unrecognisable remains... :awww:

That said, she has been pretty flat at the start of this year. Why do you think she hasn't been able to reproduce the form that gave her so much confidence, and propelled her to end the year in style?

Not despising Henin like you do makes me feel good about myself like I have a life that I don't have to do that or something.

She won Syndey, I wouldn't call her start of the year "flat".

She didn't control the middle of the court, she didn't use angles, she didn't change the direction of the ball well, and she really didn't use her inside out forehand much.

Kworb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
It just wasn't her day. Her low serve percentage and Masha's intimidating power were enough to strip Justine of her confidence and tactical mind.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

Justine has never lost to Jelena ... Serena has :tape::help::lol: twice

I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember Serena being no. 1 for 100 weeks so you really can't tell because it wasn't long enough was it?

Denise4925
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember Serena being no. 1 for 100 weeks :D

Yeah that's true, but even playing as badly as she did against Jelena, she didn't get bagelled. :lol: And, if you're going to bring in who's beaten who, Maria hasn't beaten Serena since 2004. :shrug:

So, are you saying that if Serena had been No. 1 for 40 more weeks, she would have been bagelled? :weirdo: You also have to remember, Serena relinquished her No. 1 status to recover from surgery. It wasn't because she started losing and someone took it from her.

new-york
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
she played a bad match.

and yeah, level of play wise, she has never been playing really well this year, so far.
that's enough for her to beat pretty much everyone, still, but not Super Maria.

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
:lol: I think she just finally ran into a better player on the day.I agree.

JH now shares that peculiar stat with Bagélie (although the Frenchwoman suffered more than one bagel
when she was #1). :tape:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Not despising Henin like you do makes me feel good about myself like I have a life that I don't have to do that or something.

She won Syndey, I wouldn't call her start of the year "flat".

She didn't control the middle of the court, she didn't use angles, she didn't change the direction of the ball well, and she really didn't use her inside out forehand much.

I'm always taken aback by people who have comparatively HIGH post counts who say that kind of a thing. It's a bit of a contradiction IMO.But what makes me feel especially good about myself, is that i generally don't extrapolate on flimsy assumptions; it is impossible to have a life and a POSSIBLE dislike of a person. I'm glad I know better.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
So, are you saying that if Serena had been No. 1 for 40 more weeks, she would have been bagelled? :weirdo:

Why the :weirdo: ? She might have - who knows? How do you know she wouldn't have?

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think We're seeing that Henin isnt as mentally tough as everyone wants her to be... as richard williams said at wimbledon, after she beat Serena and before she lost to Bartoli... there was a ton of pressure on her coming in here... and yes she had a 32? match wiinning streak? (YAY... VEnus still has longest of active tour members thanks sharapova....lol) but a ton of those matches the players beat themselves... I dont know if she was hoping sharapova would beat herself or not, but from what ive heard about the match(havent seen it, hopefully espn shows it next) she kept the ball in the middle of the court... just a bad game plan...

canuckfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Maria's playing at her best level right now. Justine's slightly subpar. She'll be back. Her loss to Bartoli was probably worst than this one and she still won all her matches after that.

And what's the point of bringing Serena in this thread? Are you bored Denise? You want a little fight?

Kworb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I agree.

JH now shares that peculiar stat with Bagélie (although the Frenchwoman suffered more than one bagel
I think Hingis also ate some bagels.. remember her Wimbledon match vs. Dokic? :o I doubt Justine and Amélie are the only ones.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm always taken aback by people who have comparatively HIGH post counts who say that kind of a thing. It's a bit of a contradiction IMO. But what makes me feel especially good about myself, is that i don't extrapolate on flimsy assumptions; it is impossible to have a life and a POSSIBLE dislike of a person. I'm glad I know better.

Basically you're talking about half of the board who challenges you on a comment that verges :weirdo: then. :lol:
I'm sure you do which is why you've made a thread on :bs:.

She finally just finished a full slam year and she's 70-5.
Why does there have to be something wrong with her.

When she loses the French Open then we can start to ponder.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Didn't Pova double-bagel Amelie when Amelie was #1? :tape:

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Let me just say that i actually felt sorry for her watching that. She looked like a deer caught in headlights, hyperventilating and clearly trembling.

:lol: she didn't look quite that bad to me though. a bit of overstatement maybe?

She played ok IMO - the serve was also a problem at the YEC and she still won.
Maria was just on fire, and was lucky enough to win the right points.

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM

Yes, but it was a three setter. :p

anti-choke
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't read too much into Henin having a poor showing at the Aussie Open. Sharapova was able to maintain her stamina throughout the match and of course had some luck on her side so I really question whether Henin could have won if she was at her best, that's a matter for debate of course ;).

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
:lol: she didn't look quite that bad to me though. a bit of overstatement maybe?

Clearly.
Justine has made the sacrifice to go for bigger serves than higher first serve percentages.
It's worked for her for the most part but yes she does have to vary it.

But she's still the Queen of clay and let's all be realistic here.

Does anyone think that Justine is the best player on hard courts?
If you do then what's wrong with you. :lol:

But that's the implications that would have arose from her winning the US Open and the Australian Open back to back without losing a match no less.

So this is not that out of the ordinary.
I think most of the players left have struggled a bit besides Sharapova and have battle injuries to show for it.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember Serena being no. 1 for 100 weeks so you really can't tell because it wasn't long enough was it?

AND...Serena hasnt been bagled by Sharapova so how about that? LOL! Look..Justine lost because she wasn't playing a top player that wasnt injured, out of shape and rusty. Thats what made Henin so dominant last year...she basically was the only player in shape and on top of her game. Everyone else wasnt...I said it once and i'll say it again..Henin only dominated because everyone else was off their game. LMAO at Marshmello's thread :lol:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
You don't need using those bad words to give us your opinion , you have certain problem with choosing your words , that's not right http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/7/smile%20(91).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
You don't need using those bad words to give us your opinion , you have certain problem with choosing your words , that's not right http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/7/smile%20(91).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

happy to see you started using some black in your funkadelic text... now if you just made them all black and stopped ranting about sharapova the board might actually take you seriously.....:tape:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
It still doesn't negate her Hall of Fame career. It only enhances your preoccupation with someone you hate, babe. You're only making her richer by getting her more internet hits. Anytime Serena Williams' name is mentioned, her market value goes up. Never thought blind hatred could be so lucrative, eh? LOL!

If only the thread starter could be told that as well.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

Dont worry, Pova's still the only top 3 player to have a double bagel in her records...

Floydrose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM

Oh yes, we do :lol:

Those kind of insignificant facts which seem so important in Denise's life will always entertain us! :lol:

G1Player2
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah that's true, but even playing as badly as she did against Jelena, she didn't get bagelled. :lol: And, if you're going to bring in who's beaten who, Maria hasn't beaten Serena since 2004. :shrug:

So, are you saying that if Serena had been No. 1 for 40 more weeks, she would have been bagelled? :weirdo: You also have to remember, Serena relinquished her No. 1 status to recover from surgery. It wasn't because she started losing and someone took it from her.

:haha: I love it!

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, but it was a three setter. :p

OK thanks.

:lol: I love the name Bagelie

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
OK thanks.

Quit pretending you didn't know what the actual score was.
That match happened at the USO in 2006!

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
AND...Serena hasnt been bagled by Sharapova so how about that? LOL! Look..Justine lost because she wasn't playing a top player that wasnt injured, out of shape and rusty. Thats what made Henin so dominant last year...she basically was the only player in shape and on top of her game. Everyone else wasnt...I said it once and i'll say it again..Henin only dominated because everyone else was off their game. LMAO at Marshmello's thread :lol:

Serena lost to a player today that had an injury to nearly every part of her body and she still lost :haha:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Serena lost to a player today that had an injury to nearly every part of her body and she still lost :haha:

Did have an injury to every part of her body.
Whose to say she didn't get them repaired like her nose.

I guess it's never too young to be cut up like Cher.
If I could turn back time...

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Quit pretending you didn't know what the actual score was.
That match happened at the USO in 2006!

Sorry but I didn't know what the actual score was - I knew it was 3 sets, and I knew 2 of them were bagels, but as for the rest of the score, I didn't/still don't know them :shrug:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Basically you're talking about half of the board who challenges you on a comment that verges :weirdo: then. :lol:
I'm sure you do which is why you've made a thread on :bs:.

She finally just finished a full slam year and she's 70-5.
Why does there have to be something wrong with her.

When she loses the French Open then we can start to ponder.

No, I’m not talking about half the board because they don’t throw up ‘you must not have a life comments’ :help:

And why would we have to wait til the French – who’s said there’s anything drastically wrong with her? She was on a hot streak, and fought to win Sydney - we aren’t used to seeing her lose, or playing like she has. Personally I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a post asking people to offer their opinions as to why they think Henin has been playing quite obviously sub-par. [Her serving, her forehand at times… - which in recent times have become strengths]

Some think it’s just the long season, some think it’s the pressure, some think it’s her RED HOT opponent. There is room for discussion if you read the OP properly.

If you think this post is BS, then spare yourself the misery and waltz on by.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I never understood why someone just can't lose sometimes. Nothings wrong, they just lost, played bad, ran into a buzzsaw whatever. These players aren't machines whatever their ranking is. She is probably going to rape everyone @ the French so I think she'll be fine halfway through Slams.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM

:lol: Never really considered that stat.

PS Habs - thanx for the message earlier. My final wish will be for our Amelie to finally find some decent form, and start being a contender again. :D

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
My final wish will be for our Amelie to finally find some decent form, and start being a contender again. :D

Ditto. :D

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I never understood why someone just can't lose sometimes. Nothings wrong, they just lost, played bad, ran into a buzzsaw whatever. These players aren't machines whatever their ranking is. She is probably going to rape everyone @ the French so I think she'll be fine halfway through Slams.

She's been playing patchy tennis for a while now. And it's also the manner of the loss. 4 games only in a slam quater final against a major rival! That's a big deal! Remember wen Amelie was double bagelled in 2006 USO, there was major talk. When Maria was double bagelled in 2005 there was talk of burn out... Justine doesn't get bagelled!

moby
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Justine's probably never going to win a slam again, the way Serena was never going to win a slam again after her ranking fell to the 100s, the way Venus was never going to win a slam again after a 4 year drought, the way Maria was never going to win a slam again after losing consistently in the semis. What a tragedy.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM

She played ok IMO - the serve was also a problem at the YEC and she still won.
Maria was just on fire, and was lucky enough to win the right points.

Justine was playing like THAT during the fall? I didn't see the YEC or much of the fall season, but i did see some clips and Justine looked much better.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
^^ Shouldn't all four of them have retired after the awful losses they had?

I mean Serena lost against Danka = definitely should have retired

Venus lost to Pironkova = should have retired

Justine lost to Maria = definitely should retire

Maria got double-bagelled = don't know how she ever walked on a tennis court again

:rolleyes:

That's why these four players are the BEST IN THE WORLD - they come back with vengeance :worship:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Justine's probably never going to win a slam again, the way Serena was never going to win a slam again after her ranking fell to the 100s, the way Venus was never going to win a slam again after a 4 year drought, the way Maria was never going to win a slam again after losing consistently in the semis. What a tragedy.

The original post was NOT in the least that drastic (part not in bold).

If Justine had been playing like that all last fal, then i'm shocked that people were calling her unbeatable not so long ago. Really i am.

missvarsha
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Justine just hasn't hit her stride yet this year - playing in poor form was enough to net the Sydney title (barely) but not enough to carry her through a tough grand slam draw. I have no doubt that she will again have a good year, though it may not live up to the standards from '07.

Does anyone else have the feeling that personality wise, Justine needs some adversity in her life to motivate her to do her best ? The whole happy la la land her life has been in for the last year has left her sort of unmotivated and disiniterested on court. Just my feeling. This isn't meant to be a dig - some people just get their motivation that way - which is what allows them to come back strong from a bad situation.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
The original post was NOT in the least that drastic (part not in bold).

If Justine had been playing like that all last fal, then i'm shocked that people were calling her unbeatable not so long ago. Really i am.

those non delusional fans were saying it. she had the fear factor going on. much like Serena had in 03' and Federer currently has....

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe because she wasn't #1 long enough?

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Has Serena ever been bagelled in a slam tho? If not, it's hard to predict if it would have happened. :shrug:

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Maybe because she wasn't #1 long enough?LOL! You RAWK 4hand!

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
watching the match now... the problem seems to be that many of her balls are landing at the service line any junior class player knows how to tee off on those....

AcesHigh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Let's just give her a break please??

Henin is not Federer
Henin is not Serena 2002-2003

To any sensible tennis fan, this was obvious. Thus, this loss is shocking in the manner in which Henin lost, but it is just another loss.. only 1 of probably what will be 4-9 losses for Justine this year.

cecilija
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
watching the match now... the problem seems to be that many of her balls are landing at the service line any junior class player knows how to tee off on those....

Pretty much so :tape::help:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Has Serena ever been bagelled in a slam tho? If not, it's hard to predict if it would have happened. :shrug:

How can you be so sure? :shrug:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Let's just give her a break please??

Henin is not Federer
Henin is not Serena 2002-2003

To any sensible tennis fan, this was obvious. Thus, this loss is shocking in the manner in which Henin lost, but it is just another loss.. only 1 of probably what will be 4-9 losses for Justine this year.

Lotto numbers please :rolleyes:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Justine just hasn't hit her stride yet this year - playing in poor form was enough to net the Sydney title (barely) but not enough to carry her through a tough grand slam draw. I have no doubt that she will again have a good year, though it may not live up to the standards from '07.

Does anyone else have the feeling that personality wise, Justine needs some adversity in her life to motivate her to do her best ? The whole happy la la land her life has been in for the last year has left her sort of unmotivated and disiniterested on court. Just my feeling. This isn't meant to be a dig - some people just get their motivation that way - which is what allows them to come back strong from a bad situation.

Thats an interesting point. I do think in addition, the pressure of being red hot favourite now - she was getting more attention and the undisputed number one title - didn't help.

Good point. :D

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
How can you be so sure? :shrug:

I'm not - i just said it's hard to predict that.

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I agree.

And I hope she'll follow the same pattern.

Georges's fans need to realise that she ain't no a Goddess. Not only she's just capitalized on Maria/Willies poor form to grab the USO but also she ain't no pretty enough to be so.:o

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I'm not - i just said it's hard to predict that.

No one knows what is going to happen from one day to the next, in tennis and in life, so unless you are Edgar Cayse then I don't think anyone can predict anything. I'm sure it would have been hard to predict that Pironkova would have beaten Venus in AO a couple of years ago.

misael
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Oh Justine will bounce back,Steffi Graf lost in the 94 French Open to Mary Pierce 6-1 6-1, it's nolting to be ashamed about.It happens.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
And I hope she'll follow the same pattern.

Georges's fans need to realise that she ain't no a Goddess. Not only she's just capitalized on Maria/Willies poor form to grab the USO but also she ain't no pretty enough to be so.:o

Seems like Maria has capitalised on the poor form shown at this years AO, Serena out, Justine out. Mind you Radwanska is still in :tape::lol:

Rexman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM

Maybe that's because Serena was #1 for less than 1/2 the time Henin has been #1.

It is tough to remember FIVE YEARS ago.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM

Did she not have enough rest in the OFF season? Does she have some kind of injury woe? Or did the pressure of being expect to win everything get to her?

Let's take a quick glance at reality and away from WTA LaLa Land before the massive amounts of bullshit begins piling higher.

FACT: Henin didn't play in last year's Australian Open, thus increasing her ranking points after her quarterfinal showing.

FACT: The '08 Australian Open was the first grand slam since the '05 US Open that she didn't make it to a grand slam semifinals.

FACT: Henin has already surpassed last years results thus far in the season by winning a title in Sydney.

FACT: The next grand slam event, the French Open, Henin will be heavily favored.

FACT: Henin was written off twice in her career. The first after the '03 French Open semifinals and again after the '06 Australian Open final. Both times she went on to win grand slam titles in every year since and adding over 100 weeks at number one. To say that one loss to a great playing Maria Sharapova will derail her career is ignorant and ignores Henin's stellar history as one of the best of her generation, if not THE best.

FACT: Henin is 32-1 since '07 Wimbledon. No other tennis player can make that claim.

FACT: Henin lost to Maria in straight sets in the '06 US Open final. Everyone saw what Henin did after that match in '07.

Basically to summarize, one loss will not and cannot derail Henin's stellar career, in spite of what her malignant detractors continue to pedal and have for several years. You are one of them.

So come out of your WTA LaLa land with reports of the death of Henin's career. They are largely exagerrated.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Why are people talking about the future, the post was directed at the present! And recent weeks.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Let's take a quick glance at reality and away from WTA LaLa Land before the massive amounts of bullshit begins piling higher.

FACT: Henin didn't play in last year's Australian Open, thus increasing her ranking points after her quarterfinal showing.

FACT: The '08 Australian Open was the first grand slam since the '05 US Open that she didn't make it to a grand slam semifinals.

FACT: Henin has already surpassed last years results thus far in the season by winning a title in Sydney.

FACT: The next grand slam event, the French Open, Henin will be heavily favored.

FACT: Henin was written off twice in her career. The first after the '03 French Open semifinals and again after the '06 Australian Open final. Both times she went on to win grand slam titles in every year since and adding over 100 weeks at number one. To say that one loss to a great playing Maria Sharapova will derail her career is ignorant and ignores Henin's stellar history as one of the best of her generation, if not THE best.

FACT: Henin is 32-1 since '07 Wimbledon. No other tennis player can make that claim.

FACT: Henin lost to Maria in straight sets in the '06 US Open final. Everyone saw what Henin did after that match in '07.

Basically to summarize, one loss will not and cannot derail Henin's stellar career, in spite of what her malignant detractors continue to pedal.

So come out of your WTA LaLa land with reports of the death of Henin's career. They are largely exagerrated.

Defensive and off-topic. The main post is written in bold.

Does Justine just need time to get into her rhythm? Is she tired? You know those kind of things.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Defensive and off-topic. The main post is written in bold.

Does Justine just need time to get into her rhythm? Is she tired? You know those kind of things.
Absolutely nothing off-topic.

You are a malignant Henin troll in this forum and persistently attack her professionally and personally.

Henin doesn't need advise from a discussion board troll such as yourself. You don't know enough about the sport of tennis to give that type of advice.

athake
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Did Justine kick your ass and stole your belgian chocolate in real life when u were a child? :lol:

Harvs
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
she didnt even play badly... she played well!!!

sharapova just played out of this world.

my god, can someone not win without someone thinking the other player LOST the match?

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe that's because Serena was #1 for less than 1/2 the time Henin has been #1.

:lol: I said exactly the same :p

Apoleb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's a good thread.

Anyone who thinks that she just ran against a better player (and that there's no issue with her play), is a biased dumbass. Same for those who think she didn't start flat.

Her form in Sydney was basically crap. The only reason she pulled against Kuz and Ana was her mental toughness. Her first week in the AO was also subpar.

I think it's too early to judge on the reason. It could be very well that she simply isn't on form. It happens to anybody. It could be her knee, and I did notice that she wasn't as light in her footwork, and she did mention it as a factor in her press conference.

One definite factor is her overconfidence. Getting in a long streak can be dangerous. Once you haven't lost in a long time, you forget how hard it takes to win. I know for sure that the Justine of the summer would never have started this match with the same attitude she did today. She probably thought that an early break isn't that much of a deal and she could get it back.

We have to basically wait for her performance in Dubai and Doha to judge. A loss was definitely needed to get her motivation back, and it's too bad it happened in the quarters of a slam and was so hard.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
off-topic.

I don't understand why Forehand Volley's post was "off topic". Please explain :D

dave1971
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm always taken aback by people who have comparatively HIGH post counts who say that kind of a thing. It's a bit of a contradiction IMO.But what makes me feel especially good about myself, is that i generally don't extrapolate on flimsy assumptions; it is impossible to have a life and a POSSIBLE dislike of a person. I'm glad I know better.

don't you hate Sharapova as well though? Or have I got you mixed up with another poster.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
don't you hate Sharapova as well though? Or have I got you mixed up with another poster.

Does he/she/it? :confused: He/she/it has obviously tranferred the hate over to Justine now :lol:

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Justine will be fine, she will be back to her oldself in no time!

And I just can't believe the other topic saying 'Is Justine on the decline?' what sort of bollocks is that, one loss and anyone will say anything! CLASSIC!!!!

dave1971
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Does he/she/it? :confused: He/she/it has obviously tranferred the hate over to Justine now :lol:

no no, "it" has made some horrible, hateful and degrading threads about Sharapova in the past. I believe that "it" is just putting the hate for Sharapova on the back burner while "it" goes after Justine.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
no no, "it" has made some horrible, hateful and degrading threads about Sharapova in the past. I believe that "it" is just putting the hate for Sharapova on the back burner while "it" goes after Justine.

Interesting. ;) I wonder why?

cogent53
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Anyone who thinks that she just ran against a better player (and that there's no issue with her play), is a biased dumbass. Same for those who think she didn't start flat.

Her form in Sydney was basically crap. The only reason she pulled against Kuz and Ana was her mental toughness. Her first week in the AO was also subpar.

I think it's too early to judge on the reason. It could be very well that she simply isn't on form. It happens to anybody. It could be her knee, and I did notice that she wasn't as light in her footwork, and she did mention it as a factor in her press conference.

One definite factor is her overconfidence. Getting in a long streak can be dangerous. Once you haven't lost in a long time, you forget how hard it takes to win. I know for sure that the Justine of the summer would never have started this match with the same attitude she did today. She probably thought that an early break isn't that much of a deal and she could get it back.

We have to basically wait for her performance in Dubai and Doha to judge. A loss was definitely needed to get her motivation back, and it's too bad it happened in the quarters of a slam and was so hard.

A very balanced and fair comment. I'm a huge Henin fan, and I could see this loss coming. Henin would have been good enough to have beaten Serena, Jelena, and probably Hanchukova and Radwanska (not so sure about Venus and Ana) but came up against a superb Sharapova, but I agree that she almost needed the loss. Her form hasn't been great since the US Open. She won all the autumn tournaments with some good play, but lots of average play and poor opposition from intimidated opponents. A different draw could have seen her make the finals, but disguised her not great form.
Ironically, we saw some great defensive play from her today. If it had been matched with half decent serving and more aggressive ground strokes (how many half court balls and sliced backhands did we see? Where were those beautiful topspin winners that are her trademark?) it might have been closer.
She's got away with average performances for a while, I hope this will give her a bit of a wake up call. Not drastic "switch to double handed back hand" action, but something to get her head in the game, and her arm in the serve.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
I agree.

And Maria Sharapova did the bageling both times. :)

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM

Yeh but Justine didn't get a double-bagel did she? ;)

Floydrose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Thats an interesting point. I do think in addition, the pressure of being red hot favourite now - she was getting more attention and the undisputed number one title - didn't help.

Good point. :D

I can't believe Ju fell on court due to pressure as you say, or due to a lack of adversity in her private life. I simply think she needs more time to get her motivation back after such a good year. Off season was maybe not long enough for her to rebuild her focus! Or surely was not at the right time , when she was on fire.

Today, She was not hungry enough to compete with a player like Maria.

AO is not good memory for her too. (2006). Maybe, it didn't help her for a good accomodation... Maybe

Her main goals this year will be RG, Wimbledon , Beijing, keep her highest rank, not more, not less! Sure she will perform!

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
It's a good thread.

Anyone who thinks that she just ran against a better player (and that there's no issue with her play), is a biased dumbass. Same for those who think she didn't start flat..

Then I guess every single paid commentator in the business is a "biased dumbass" huh...

Justine played as well as one can play when your opponent's serve is screaming in at an acute angle and you're 5 foot 5, or when your opponent is hitting behind you for the first time in your head to head history, and going for huge on the line groundstrokes off your return and on her first shot. Maria also hits a very heavy, flat ball. Justine couldn't do anything but what she did. She tried to do everything you all suggested. She couldn't execute, because of how Maria played.

One thing that ALWAYS infuriates me on this board is that so many idiots think that a player can always play her A game regardless of how her opponent is playing. Top tennis players rarely have off days. Usually, their "bad play" has a lot more to do with what their opponent is doing. If Justine were missing sitters routinely, that's an off day. She did start serving badly in the second, but only after Maria had established that she was going to crush every single serve that wasn't perfect.

Donny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Then I guess every single paid commentator in the business is a "biased dumbass" huh...

Justine played as well as one can play when your opponent's serve is screaming in at an acute angle and you're 5 foot 5, or when your opponent is hitting behind you for the first time in your head to head history, and going for huge on the line groundstrokes off your return and on her first shot. Maria also hits a very heavy, flat ball. Justine couldn't do anything but what she did. She tried to do everything you all suggested. She couldn't execute, because of how Maria played.

One thing that ALWAYS infuriates me on this board is that so many idiots think that a player can always play her A game regardless of how her opponent is playing. Top tennis players rarely have off days. Usually, their "bad play" has a lot more to do with what their opponent is doing. If Justine were missing sitters routinely, that's an off day. She did start serving badly in the second, but only after Maria had established that she was going to crush every single serve that wasn't perfect.

So Maria's 2007 is a result of her getting outplayed over and over again?

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:54 PM

:silly: :weirdo:

Apoleb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM

Right, because Justine hasn't played a very hard hitter playing extremely well (not to mention being a better athelete than Maria by far) and beat her on a surface faster than this one. :tape: Or that she actually didn't have chances to take control of the rallys, but kept hitting slow balls in the middle. She couldn't execute because she simply wasn't playing the level she should and could acheive, and which she has demonstrated against Maria and other players in the past.

Those same commentators thought that Bartoli "overpowered" her completely and Justine could do nothing about it because Bartoli was "too good", while in reality Justine was playing the same brand of tennis we come to see from time to time and at the start of the year: non-aggressive crappy tennis. SO basically your argument through reference doesn't work.

If this performance came out of nowhere then you would've had half a point. But Justine has been actually playing shit (literally) for the last three weeks.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM

:lol: I was going to say that but you got there before me ;)

Now I see why some posters of certain fanbases are annoying - this one in particular :rolleyes: Not you donny, mboyle = idiot

sharapovarulz1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM

Yay lol ;)

Matt01
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:23 AM

Usually I'm trying to be nice but since you asked for it:

You are a sad Justine hater, who doesn't know anything about women's tennis and who needs to grow up and get a life and should not waste our time with idiotic threads and confused theories.

These were my thoughts :angel:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Usually I'm trying to be nice but since you asked for it:

You are a sad Justine hater, who doesn't know anything about women's tennis and who needs to grow up and get a life and should not waste our time with idiotic threads and confused theories.

These were my thoughts :angel:

Now that made me laugh out loud! :wavey:

sorceress
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Ah the usual suspect waiting impatiently to sink the boot in eh?

Maria played better,Justine underestimated her and got rolled.
Players lose sometimes,you don't need a microscope analysis, you're saying this as if she's been knocked out of 3 consecutive GS or something.

fatty sausage
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
I think Ju is starting to get fat, therefore she is slower around the court. And her outfits are way too tight, especially with that gut.

Junex
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
My take on these; as disheartening as it is....

Justine was simply outclassed and outplayed out there.
From mthe first ball till the end, Maria never gave her enough room to play her game.Maria came out firing her big serves and penetrating groundies. Justine played cleanly and tried/gave 100% out there but there was just no answer for Maria that night. Maria came out ready, she play everything so much better! She won everything! from the serve to the net exchanges.

When I was watching the match, I was screaming at the screen "Justine slice her more"...but justine was determined to go toe-to-toe with Marias power groundies....and we all know who is more superior on that department. She was not able to exploit the angles because every Sharapova shot was penetrating.

In the End, Justine was playing good...but Maria played excellent!

I was looking back in 2005-2006, when Maria was still my #2 fave, it might have been a bitter-sweet moment for me, the defeat of my #1 against my#2...

But I no longer root for maria now, since 2007...and it was too painful...so emotional draining..... Oh well time to move on and update my sig!

mboyle
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM

Oz, Miami, the French and WImbledon were about getting outplayed. Losing to Zvonareva has nothing to do with getting outplayed. There's an obvious difference in caliber there. There's no obvious difference in caliber between Maria and Justine. Maria's beaten Justine twice before. She had been playing stunning tennis. Henin is a more powerful version of Hingis, but she still needs a lot of time for her strategy to work. The way to beat Henin is to hit winners off your first shot. Sharapova executed that strategy well. The only thing Henin could do that would have made a difference was get in more first serves, and I mean between 60 and 70 percent. Henin very rarely breaks the 60% barrier. When both Henin and Sharapova play their best, Sharapova wins, because Sharapova is stronger on offense, Justine on defense. Good offense beats good defense. It's the rule of sports. That said, if both players are not at their bests, Justine will usually win, because she will be able to draw errors from Sharapova.

Marshmallow
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM

From mthe first ball till the end, Maria never gave her enough room to play her game.Maria came out firing her big serves and penetrating groundies. Justine played cleanly and tried/gave 100% out there but there was just no answer for Maria that night. Maria came out ready, she play everything so much better! She won everything! from the serve to the net exchanges.

When I was watching the match, I was screaming at the screen "Justine slice her more"...but justine was determined to go toe-to-toe with Marias power groundies....and we all know who is more superior on that department. She was not able to exploit the angles because every Sharapova shot was penetrating.

I was looking back in 2005-2006, when Maria was still my #2 fave, it might have been a bitter-sweet moment for me, the defeat of my #1 against my#2...

But I no longer root for maria now, since 2007...and it was too painful...so emotional draining..... Oh well time to move on and update my sig!

:speakles: Chin up, Junex, have some dignity. Henin can play much better than she did, and i expect she'll avenge the loss. You have nothing to be disheartened about. :D

Marshmallow
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
I don't understand why Forehand Volley's post was "off topic". Please explain :D

Because i don't see how Henin's statistical legacy has any bearing on the topic at hand. The central question was 'why has she not been playing well at the start of the season', with no apparent injuries - she should be full of confidence following last season.

Also considering she and Carlos were aiming for a golden slam - i am personally suprised on of the grittiest players ever, wasn't able to put in a better showing.

Marshmallow
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
It's a good thread.

:hearts: Just :hearts:

I'm glad someone understood.

PS- You haven't been posting enough. :sobbing: I've been a pain with my posts no doubt :tape: but i miss you.

sportywoman
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
So Mash ? The field was weak ? My foot !

The Serbs were accused of being weak opponents and undesreving top cotenders but then they beat the Williams !

Marshmallow
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thanx everyone for your contributions... especially the few decent ones :D

Marshmallow
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
So Mash ? The field was weak ? My foot !

The Serbs were accused of being weak opponents but then they beat the Williams !

My weak feild post was time specific... it remains valid!

gladysharon
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
hey at least Justine scored points as compared to last year...I'm optimistic. ;)

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Oz, Miami, the French and WImbledon were about getting outplayed. Losing to Zvonareva has nothing to do with getting outplayed. There's an obvious difference in caliber there. There's no obvious difference in caliber between Maria and Justine. Maria's beaten Justine twice before. She had been playing stunning tennis. Henin is a more powerful version of Hingis, but she still needs a lot of time for her strategy to work. The way to beat Henin is to hit winners off your first shot. Sharapova executed that strategy well. The only thing Henin could do that would have made a difference was get in more first serves, and I mean between 60 and 70 percent. Henin very rarely breaks the 60% barrier. When both Henin and Sharapova play their best, Sharapova wins, because Sharapova is stronger on offense, Justine on defense. Good offense beats good defense. It's the rule of sports. That said, if both players are not at their bests, Justine will usually win, because she will be able to draw errors from Sharapova.

When was that? Out of all their matches, which one was it? :confused:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
My weak feild post was time specific... it remains valid!

3 days is "time specific"? :spit:

Are you on anti-depressants by any chance?

keirana332
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I felt very sorry for Justine, who simply wasn't herself, both physically and mentally. She looked bewildered and shellshocked for most of the second set and her footwork was off and she played extremely self-consciously and defensive. While she did win in Sydney, she wasn't at the top of her game and hasn't been throughout the Open, I hope she bounces back from this loss and has a good showing in Doha and Dubai.

iamhe
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
When both Henin and Sharapova play their best, Sharapova wins,

Can you tell me when was that ? Which match are you talking about ?

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

I also asked the same question :D

Ntour
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
what Mboyle needs to realise is that when justine plays her best she gets on the offensive a lot more often and once maria is on defense she is useless

Maria has never beqaten justine at her best she played Uber defensive in both USO and Ao matches
plus their first meeting was justine first tournament back after her 8 month (or so) layoff

Onyxangel
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have one simple sentence for anyone trying to read much into this one loss for Henin (or Rena for that matter)...

Roger Federer lost to a lucky loser last year...

Embarassing losses happen to the best of them...

cecilija
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have one simple sentence for anyone trying to read much into this one loss for Henin (or Rena for that matter)...

Roger Federer lost to a lucky loser last year...

Embarassing losses happen to the best of them...

Aye, but Roger doesn't suck like this at slams ;)

moby
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Oz, Miami, the French and WImbledon were about getting outplayed. Losing to Zvonareva has nothing to do with getting outplayed. There's an obvious difference in caliber there. There's no obvious difference in caliber between Maria and Justine. Maria's beaten Justine twice before. She had been playing stunning tennis. Henin is a more powerful version of Hingis.I stopped reading here.

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM

If you notice we never got a reply. What does that tell you? :tape:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I stopped reading here.

You got that far? :eek: Are you on something to be able to stay awake?

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Oh yes, we do :lol:

Those kind of insignificant facts which seem so important in Denise's life will always entertain us! :lol:

Admit it, everything I say is of interest to you. ;)

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
:lol: Never really considered that stat.

PS Habs - thanx for the message earlier. My final wish will be for our Amelie to finally find some decent form, and start being a contender again. :D

I second that, along with my two girls.

cellophane
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I stopped reading here.

:spit: at Henin being the more powerful version of Hingis.

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Maybe because she wasn't #1 long enough?

Oh yeah. I guess 57 weeks is just too short. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM

Maybe, but it didn't happen. :shrug: Justine is in a special category of two people.

Yeah, but a bagel is tough to forget. :tape: So, we won't have that problem 5 years from now for Justine.

Donny
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM

At the AO and Wimbledonn she was outplayed. Maria played god awful in Miami and at her loss at the French. Even as a Serena fan I can see that.

And there is a noticeable difference in ability between Maria and Justine.

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but a bagel is tough to forget. :tape: So, we won't have that problem 5 years from now for Justine.

Actually weeks at no. 1 go down in history more than bagels, so your point is mute :D

Mightymirza
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I am not much concerned here..Every loss makes Justine hungrier for the success..I am sure she will bounce back nicely..:wavey:

Apoleb
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
I stopped reading here.

:lol:

I was like: should I reply? Or maybe it's better to leave pretentious mashabators alone.

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
...;12371986']she didnt even play badly... she played well!!!

sharapova just played out of this world.

my god, can someone not win without someone thinking the other player LOST the match?

I totally agree. I thought Justine played very well. As well as she could. There were some fantastic rallies. Maria just outplayed her.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah. I guess 57 weeks is just too short. :rolleyes:
Someone needs to update their signature.

"Justine you are warned"

:help::lol::lol::lol::lol::help:

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM

:worship::worship::worship:

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Actually weeks at no. 1 go down in history more than bagels, so your point is mute :D

And number of slams, especially non-calendar grand slams go down in history more than weeks at No. 1 :D

Denise4925
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM

"Justine you are warned"

Why, is the season over? :confused:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM

"Justine you are warned"

:haha:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
And number of slams, especially non-calendar grand slams go down in history more than weeks at No. 1 :D

Justine's career is not over yet so there's time for Justine to surpass Serena, whereby somehow I and I'm sure a lot of people cannot see Serena surpassing Justine's weeks at no. 1 :D

Onyxangel
Jan 24th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Aye, but Roger doesn't suck like this at slams ;)

Apparently you don't watch him in the French, when he's not on his best surface (familiar?) against a top-tier opponent who is playing on a surface that favors them (familiar?)

Denise4925
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Justine's career is not over yet so there's time for Justine to surpass Serena, whereby somehow I and I'm sure a lot of people cannot see Serena surpassing Justine's weeks at no. 1 :D

There's also time for Serena to widen the gap on slam wins and weeks at No. 1 really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things, are they? The mere fact that both have been No. 1 and have several grand slams are what's important. Not weeks at No. 1. But, if it makes you feel better about Justine's bagel that she's been No. 1 for x amount of weeks, then go with that. ;)

dya74
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM

henin fans don't care about Serena.

Mightymirza
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM

"Justine you are warned"

Maybe Serena was warning Ju about Pova :p

Denise4925
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM

:lol:

missvarsha
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
There's also time for Serena to widen the gap on slam wins and weeks at No. 1 really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things, are they? The mere fact that both have been No. 1 and have several grand slams are what's important. Not weeks at No. 1. But, if it makes you feel better about Justine's bagel that she's been No. 1 for x amount of weeks, then go with that.

I agree - although given how infrequently Serena plays a "complete" season, its more likely that Justine will catch/pass her in Grand Slams than Serena regaining #1. This is not a definitive statement, just what seems more likely to me.
On the other hand, unless it's a crazy record of some sort, for example MOST weeks at number one, or MOST consecutive weeks at number one (Steffi had both, not anymore :( ) I don't think the total number of weeks at #1 is a great indicator either. I mean Davenport was ranked #1 for years without winning a GS, and she just went to the top of the money heap and I dont think anyone can make a sensible arguement that she has had a better career than either Serena or Justine (more accomplished in terms of total titles and longer, but not better.).

Forehand_Volley
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Jelena? :p

LightWarrior
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:09 AM
The Hénin fans blame the defeat on her low serve % but it has always been pretty low, even last fall when she won the Championships. I think Hénin played well, even in the second set. Maria was just too good, totally outplayed her.

Ntour
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:16 AM
im not sure if any henin fans are blaming the first serve percentage, we are well aware that it will never be much better than 55 %

i think most REAL henin fans (i mean the ones that actually post in her forum) blame it on defensive play and not taking her chances) Maria was on FIRE and justine needed to try and be more aggressive, she tried a couple of times but she didn't stick with it