PDA

View Full Version : How good must Venus be (def. Sharapova in straights @ Hong Kong)

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
The exhibition showed that while Maria has improved, she has a long way to go before she beats a Williams, again.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
The exhibition showed that while Maria has improved, she has a long way to go before she beats a Williams, again.

First two words say it all.

Why is it that Williams fans are so threatened by Maria? If they want to beat my girl to win a Slam bring it on!

Venus_Serena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
I saw this match! Maria was not playing good at all ... on the other hand, I was surprised by Venus.

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
That match was an indicator
and from watchin it u could tell maria put in an effort into it
i think it's a really good sign that when venus plays big game players she can up her game!!!!:woohoo:

Nemo_Kool

Why is it that Williams fans are so threatened by Maria? If they want to beat my girl to win a Slam bring it on!
Its an exhibition?so what? its still a match in which it was both Sharapova and Venus' only prep. for AO of course hey were gonna play as well as they could. Dont undermine another persons success just because Sharapova had relatively little last year and 'suddenly' is playing well again. I understand ur high on confidence but really...

John.
Venus was very good that day - Hope she starts showing this form for the rest of the tournament

junlee_vee

Surely you're not insinuation Maria didn't try to win that match?

I think we've seen over the years Maria's a better competitor than that.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Will you give it up already! I can't believe people keep falling for these.

Maria is the in form queen of the courts - she is expect to with this whole thing. Just look at hour she TRASHED the federer of the women's game. Venus has been patchy and that's a compliment.

Kobra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
That match was an indicator
and from watchin it u could tell maria put in an effort into it
i think it's a really good sign that when venus plays big game players she can up her game!!!!:woohoo:

I hope so, but it's not sure. We will see it against Ana.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM

Note to self. Find this post if Maria loses in the final to Venus.

SF

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM

Why is it that Williams fans are so threatened by Maria? If they want to beat my girl to win a Slam bring it on!:lol: @ you thinking the threadstarter is a Williams fan.

:haha:

Hell, he's over on MTF saying he doesn't even like womens tennis. Could've fooled everyone.

serenus_2k8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
:lol: I hope Vee is inspired by this!

volta
and u ppl still fall for it :rolleyes: it's like the hater says jump and u say how high?

Helen Lawson
I watched the match, I've never seen her play so well. Every once in a while, a top player gets thrashed and today, that top player was Justine.

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
It was an exhibition. Usually, people who win the first set win the whole match.

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Sharapova picked up her form at the Australian Open. She knew she had to get straight into top gear with the draw she had. An exhibition right at the start of the year is all about who can hit the least errors, it means nothing.

new-york
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Venus always beat Maria in exhos.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I think Maria picked up her game when she saw Lindsay in the draw so early. She knew she had to. She's maintained that form. She'll probably play well throughout, but that does not mean she doesn't have weaknesses or that she is unstoppable.

SF

serenaforever
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
A lot better than she's been playing. :)

She's proved that she can, the never-ending question is that will Venus bring the goods? If she does, it will be a fairly routine win for her. If she doesn't, Ana will walk all over her.

Seyz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Maria is quickly becoming the anti-Justine.
However, Venus is very effectively the anti-Maria.
If it's venus v.s.maria in the final, my bet's on venus..

matty
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM

SF

HEE HEEE HEE...:)

Rome
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
You no why Maria likes playing justine she love top spin and eats it up

HitmanX
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Roddick beat Federer in an exhibition a week prior last years AO. He then lost 6-4 6-0 6-2 to him in the AO

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
It was a friggin' exhibition. :rolleyes:

I am DEEPLY concerned that Venus (should she even get there) won't be able to match Maria's form.

Harvs
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
ok did u watch the match? it wasnt great tennis from either player, venus just did what she had to do.

and right now, maria is playing icnredible... amazing.

it was just an exhibition

Mikey B
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
exhibition.... dont use that as an indicator for a grand slam final...

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM

That's what the loser always says.

It's not a sure bet by any stretch of the imagination, but it is an indication.

Personally, I think a Maria v. Venus final has the potential to be one hell of a matchup.

SF

Nemo_Kool
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
if we were to speculate then we shud look at the last time they played as an indicator but this only because Venus went from being 5-3 down to Morigami to dealing Sharapova a beatdown..whos 2 say it cant happen...if they meet?

LANGAM
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I think we should not read anything into that exhibition match. Look at Serena last year she lost to Sybille Bammer in a tournament before AO, but went on to win AO to everyone's suprise. Should Venus and Masha to the final, then it will depend on the form they both bring on court that day. Vee will have to up her level a notch or 2 from how she is currently playing and Masha will have to reproduce the form she showed against Justine. There is no foregone conclusion that anyone of them will get to the final and will bring their best tennis on the day.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
If they meet in the final it will take a brilliant Venus performance to stop Maria from taking that crown :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I am fully behind all the people who say an exhibition event means absolutely nothing. Sharapova might not meet Venus in the final just as Serena never met Justine in the semi final as everyone expected. But should they meet Sharapova might win. Or the other hand Venus might win too. But whoever wins a silly exhibition match it has no bearing on what happens in the final, none at all. It is almost a ridiculous as saying I heard Venus beat Maria in cards this week, I'm sure she will take the confidence from that victory when they play their next tennis match.

Personally I prefer Venus to Sharapova and would support Venus should they play but I would gain no added confidence of her doing so as the result of this exhibition.

Jasmin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
That was Hong Kong. Now I want V to get past Ana first and then Maria but that match in Hong Kong means nothing for this slam imo.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
If they meet in the final it will take a brilliant Venus Maria performance to stop Maria Venus from taking that crown :)

Fixed.

SF

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I do think Maria was trying for that match. I do think Venus played better that day. I don't think Maria was going to work really hard to come back from a set down. However, Venus has been very very shoddy this tournament, whereas Maria has played the best tennis of anyone in quite some time. That's not to say Venus cannot win. It's just that Maria would still be somewhat of the favorite.

densuprun
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM

SF

Yeah. Please do.

Reuchlin
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah. Please do.

:help::o:o:o:tape::tape:

random fan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
stop kicking dead horse

faboozadoo15
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM

SF

G1Player2
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM

OMG! You're rabid as always. Maria wins one match against Justine and you act like she's unbeatable. :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Fixed.

SF

Care to fix another one?

faboozadoo15
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
OMG! You're rabid as always. Maria wins one match against Justine and you act like she's unbeatable. :rolleyes:

My laughing has nothing to do with Maria... or Justine for that matter.

You're in over your head, so please go mourn with your others.

G1Player2
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
My laughing has nothing to do with Maria... or Justine for that matter.

You're in over your head, so please go mourn with your others.

I'm in over my head? What are you talking about? Maria and Venus didn't play at OZ this year. They have played at 2 other slams though and we know what happened there. :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
when do Exho's count ??? :rolleyes:

Duckboy bts Roger in Exho's cos thats exactly what they are:pointless

Kipling
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Care to fix another one?

:lol:

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM

SF

When did Venus get to the final of the AO in 2008? :confused: