PDA

View Full Version : Stop making predictions.

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
they are annoying really how many threads did we have on a all williams final? and someone predicted a Kuznetsova-Henin final and someone also said Serena would mop the floor with Jelena.

can we please just watch the tennis and shut the hell up with all this predicting?

anything can happen you aint no psychic because you got a prediction right.

/end rant

joćo.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Predictions make everything more exciting, lol.

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I predict they will continue to make the threads:shrug:

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Predictions make everything more exciting, lol.not when there are 5 threads on there will be an all williams final

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
NO
hopefully they won't stop because it makes wtaworld exciting reading others predictions
:p

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think they are annoying... it was like the 2nd round and someone said it was gonna be a Kuzy-henin final and they both lost.

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
And also someone said why Davenport would beat sharapova and she end up only winning 4 games

the jamierbelyea
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
it's a message board, people will write what they want. if you want to enjoy the tennis, turn up the tv and shut off your computer.

( i agree they are annoying, but it's what people want to write about )

John.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I predict the backlash about this thread is only going to get worse

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
it's a message board, people will write what they want. if you want to enjoy the tennis, turn up the tv and shut off your computer.

( i agree they are annoying, but it's what people want to write about ) I dont have problem with few prediction thread's but they have just been out of hand I have never seen so many until this years AO and Ive been on this site almost 2 years.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Best thread of all time was "Bartoli will win Wimbledon 2007" when it came out the week before the tournament and continued through to the final.

Sometimes they turn out hysterically. Generally though, I agree with Aaron that they clutter the forum.

SF

homoeroticwar
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
predictions are made by fanboys/fangirls, not real tennis fans.

beriadan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
What's wrong with making predictions? We make predictions through out our lives, sometimes based on past experiences and expectations, and other times based on whims. I mean, when we get out of bed in the morning, we expect the floor to be there, under our feet -- that's a prediction, as insignificant as it may sound.

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
What's wrong with making predictions? We make predictions through out our lives, sometimes based on past experiences and expectations, and other times based on whims. I mean, when we get out of bed in the morning, we expect the floor to be there, under our feet -- that's a prediction, as insignificant as it may sound. Well you must obviously like seeing the GM flooded with "Serena will kill Jankovic" or "There will be a Williams final x5" or "Davenport will beat Sharapova" or "Why it will be a Henin-Kuznetsova final.

beriadan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well you must obviously like seeing the GM flooded with "Serena will kill Jankovic" or "There will be a Williams final x5" or "Davenport will beat Sharapova" or "Why it will be a Henin-Kuznetsova final.

And if I do? It's nothing to be ashamed of. Frankly, predictions threads are more productive in getting fellows posters' thoughts and reactions regarding tennis than pointless rant threads like this that accomplish nothing, except perhaps a breeding of ill will among posters.

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I sometimes think people have agendas when they start threads like that. They don't always believe in the predictions, sometimes they purposely start threads like that to make the player the 'claim' to support look bad. And most of the time it works.

I can start a thread titled, 'Justine will demolish and destroy all who stand in her way!', to instigate a backlash response in the event she loses. At times those kinds of threads are so transparent, but the sad part about it is that they seem to always work at getting the response they were designed to get.

This is tennis and most of us having been watching tennis, or sports for that matter, to know that any outcome has a chance. There are no forgone conclusions, no matter ho likely the win seems to be. If people haven't learned that lesson by now they never will.

Don't get me wrong sometimes it really is a true supporter who's extremely confident and doesn't mean any harm. I think there's a difference in making a harmless prediction and guaranteeing a result totally dismissing any chance for another outcome.

Fan_of_Venus
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I also find the predictions annoying, but I just try my best to just ignore them.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
What's the most annoying is when they call their own predictions "bold." If it's your prediction, friggin make it, but don't try to paint yourself as brave when you're probably just stupid.

SF

Dodoboy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
they annoy me sometimes when after a significant match there are like 10 of them cropping up!..nothing wrong with a few here and there but chill!

danieln1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I“ll stop that, because I erred everytime!

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Predictions and speculations are fun as long as they have reasons behind them and aren't just biased fans. Were all not on here to just congratulate player results you know.

The bad thing is when some idiots try to be smart and point out people's wrong predictions after a match. That kills it.

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
predictions are made by fanboys/fangirls, not real tennis fans.

Here are a just a few threads by one poster. All these threads are threads that "Reuchlin" has started:

How good must Venus be (def. Sharapova in straights @ Hong Kong)

jankovic will be absolutely demolished by Serena

Venus is into the final for sure now

Maria has a 1 in 250,000 chance beating Venus in their match now

Did Justine lose the Wimbledon Final on purpose!?

S.Williams def. J. Henin (How will you react?)

I'm not going to say that Reuchlin is an instigator, but it's interesting to note that this posters threads always receive lot of attention and tons of responses. And as a result this one poster represents Serena fans in most peoples eyes. Even though this poster is hardly, if ever, present in the Serena forum where most of the Serena fanatics frequent.

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I predict they will continue to make the threads:shrug:

insightful prediction.

dave1971
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not going to say that Reuchlin is an instigator

"instigator" is the wrong word. The word you want is "TROLL". And as long as you have 90 percent retards in the GM section, the troll threads will always get plenty of responses.

Aaron.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
"instigator" is the wrong word. The word you want is "TROLL". And as long as you have 90 percent retards in the GM section, the troll threads will always get plenty of responses. :lol:

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yes, let's.

I hate those threads. Especially those that say "the last time xxx won xxx, she went on and xxx"

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I predicted this thread.

And who can argue with my prediction that "Dementieva will surprise her fans and break their hearts" made in the ED Fan Club.

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
:lol:

Calvin M.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
hahaha I know how you feel but some of it is just people's wishful thinking. It is annoying but it isn't a crime. Glad you got a chance to vent! haha

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
:haha:

Sometimes, I just love prediction threads though, because if the opposite outcome is achieved, it's :lol:.

Prime example: MARION BARTOLI WILL WIN WIMBLEDON 2007 and SERENA WILL DEMOLISH JELENA IT'S NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY.