PDA

View Full Version : Only If My Favorite Played Her Best!?

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm getting sicked and tired of this lame, worn out excuse for someone's fave getting beat in a tournament. Well, if so and so was playing her best it wouldn't have even been close!?

WHAT!!!!? Reality check people, this is sports, not some little video game where we control the digital characters with a controller and pound shot after shot with perfection. This is a game, and in sport you aren't always going to play your best. Please christ stop with that lame excuse, and even if it isn't being used as an excuse stop saying it.

It's lame, worthless, & makes absolutely no sense.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Dude, I had to listen to you spewing that crap all of last year. STFU.

Maria plays a string of good matches and you have the nerve to start this thread?

Remember the "shoulder injury" we all had to endure in 5 million posts last year?

SF

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
injuries are different, do i have to think for you trolls as well? i feel like gepetto pulling the strings.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
pot calling kettle :rolleyes:

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
If Maria loses, you won't hear me say Maria didn't play her best or she wasn't at the top of her game. If she loses here she'll be getting beat.

You guys are tunnel vision striken sometimes, why must I spell out everything for it to make sense. Is it the english lol?

hotandspicey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
if she does not win the title, I can bet you will be the first to say she did not play her best or the shoulder injury reappeared :tape:

John.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
:o

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Players do have injuries
it can effect their game and make them lose
it's not always an excuse it's sometimes the true situation. when players say it it's not always a excuse
if they do make it as a silly excuse it doesn't really make them play better
am sick a tried of readin post when a play says they have an injury and people just go watever they alway make excuses, its not alway so
:help:

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
injuries are different, do i have to think for you trolls as well? i feel like gepetto pulling the strings.

Oh God...now we're splitting hairs.

Again, STFU.

SF

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Nobody can beat player “X” when player “X” is at 100%.

Who cares! The bottom line is that the truly GREAT players are able to take advantage of the big occasions, mental and physical problems be damned, and get the win more often than not. I’m actually more impressed with a player who's having an off day and whose weapons aren’t working, yet that player still finds a way to win the match. That says a lot more about a player, than a player simply being in the zone and playing at their (respective) bests. I think it's almost a given that if any of the top players are in the zone they're likely going to win no matter who they're playing.

The truth of the matter is that most players don’t step on court and play at 100% up to their capabilities each time they play. There’s always a lot of ‘X’ factors at play, time of day, confidence, injuries, endurance, pressure, the list goes on and on. And NO, injuries are NOT excluded from this debate. Whether you're having an off day or in the zone, it doesn't change the goal. The goal is always to come up with the win, which translates to competing the best you can- which is different than playing at 100%.

If you’re a player who never loses when you play your best, but only play your best 2% of the time that you step onto the court, are you considered the better player:confused:

I would say no. The best player isn’t the player that when at 100% can beat everybody else, the best player is the player, that no matter what level their playing at, can find a ways to get the win more often than not. It’s about tapping into your skills and being mentally strong enough to come up with the goods regardless of the occasion, regardless of who you’re playing, and regardless of whether or not your at your personal best (physical, mental, or otherwise.)

After two players play each other, when it’s all said and done the only thing that should matter is the score and who came out victorious. Anytime a player losses we can all say it was because they weren’t at their best and for the most part that statement will always be true. The loser seldom plays their personal best and still loses. It happens but not too often, and when it does those are the matches we look back on as classics, partly because it's rare.

If you’re a player who can’t produce your best tennis for some reason or another that’s too bad- better luck next year. On that day of competition you weren’t able to bring the game necessary to be the winner. Some people like to color things in a light where the player they like most is the player that determined the outcome of the match. Venus lost, as opposed to Serena won. Color it however you must, again the bottom line is on that day of competition the best player is the one that came up with the win!

What I admire most in players like Steffi, Serena, Justine, Sharapova, Venus, and the other greats, is that on a consistent basis they're able to tap into their own "greatness" and do what it takes to get the job done on the big occassions.

The “STUFF” that champs are made of:
RESULTS, not excuses!

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm getting sicked and tired of this lame, worn out excuse for someone's fave getting beat in a tournament. Well, if so and so was playing her best it wouldn't have even been close!?

WHAT!!!!? Reality check people, this is sports, not some little video game where we control the digital characters with a controller and pound shot after shot with perfection. This is a game, and in sport you aren't always going to play your best. Please christ stop with that lame excuse, and even if it isn't being used as an excuse stop saying it.

It's lame, worthless, & makes absolutely no sense.

To be fair, most people only complain when their favorite player has won and that excuse is being thrown around. And let's not pretend that Sharapova fans don't do it as much as any other fan base. Every player has a number of fans who are guilty of this. And again, injury excuses are no different in my book.

Dodoboy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
all has been said that needs too :D

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
This thread from a sharpova fan :rolleyes:

To be fair, most people only complain when their favorite player has won and that excuse is being thrown around. And let's not pretend that Sharapova fans don't do it as much as any other fan base. Every player has a number of fans who are guilty of this. And again, injury excuses are no different in my book.

Exactly. Sharapova fans are the worst at it, they live and die by maria... when she lost at the OPen there was a page of threads about how her shoulder was bothering her. Funny thing is, she never talked about it....

She beats HEnin and its the coming of God....You'd think after 2006- 2007 they'd have learned by now... one match at a time people.....

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM

Pulling the strings?
Poor Pinochle. You're so confused you actually believe you're a real boy.
Remember we know when you are lieing. :wavey:

BTW, I don't think you can call people trolls when you're being a hypocrit.
I'm not sure but i think one is uglier than the other on this board.

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Let's look at facts.

Sir Stefwhit is right. Every fan base pulls this crap.

It is only justified when Dementieva fans pull it, because it has been scientifically and empirically proven that our beloved only plays one good match a week. In Moscow, having caught her on her one good day, even Serena conceded that Lena would be all but invincible (I paraphrase, of course) if she could play that well more than once a week.

So we can use this excuse as often as need be, because by definition if Lena loses she can't possibly be playing her one good match, otherwise she would win because she is invincible during her one good match.

There was briefly a theory that if her brother Seva showed up, Lena could borrow a good match from him and have two good matches in one week, but that theory was disproven in New Haven last year.

I have prepared a number of very complex charts of the planets, the moon, Elena's biorythms, the location of Mommy Vera relative to the Great Pyramid of Giza, how many servings of sushi Lena has consumed over the last week and how many backhands Lena must hit to unblock her chi, as well as some even more complicated mathematical equations, but software limitations prevent me from uploading them. However, I am sure that even the most diehard Dementihater would have to concede their accuracy and validity.

But the rest of you are full of it.

Apop66
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Let's look at facts.

Sir Stefwhit is right. Every fan base pulls this crap.

It is only justified when Dementieva fans pull it, because it has been scientifically and empirically proven that our beloved only plays one good match a week. In Moscow, having caught her on her one good day, even Serena conceded that Lena would be all but invincible (I paraphrase, of course) if she could play that well more than once a week.

So we can use this excuse as often as need be, because by definition if Lena loses she can't possibly be playing her one good match, otherwise she would win because she is invincible during her one good match.

There was briefly a theory that if her brother Seva showed up, Lena could borrow a good match from him and have two good matches in one week, but that theory was disproven in New Haven last year.

I have prepared a number of very complex charts of the planets, the moon, Elena's biorythms, the location of Mommy Vera relative to the Great Pyramid of Giza, how many servings of sushi Lena has consumed over the last week and how many backhands Lena must hit to unblock her chi, as well as some even more complicated mathematical equations, but software limitations prevent me from uploading them. However, I am sure that even the most diehard Dementihater would have to concede their accuracy and validity.

But the rest of you are full of it.

That has to be the best post I have seen on this board.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Pulling the strings?
Poor Pinochle. You're so confused you actually believe you're a real boy.
Remember we know when you are lieing. :wavey:

BTW, I don't think you can call people trolls when you're being a hypocrit.
I'm not sure but i think one is uglier than the other on this board.

Wannabeknowitall from Philadelphia? Perfect, just perfect. Just pray you are not an Eagles fan :tape:.

Pinochle, didn't know we were playing cards here? O you mean Pinocchio, Mr. "I'm not a puppet, I'm a real boy." :lol: Get your ducks in line, before you roll out the 1 liners Philly.

Atleast you are not as bad as the Venus, Ivanovic Quarter Final everyone had to suffer through. Talk about a tournament in which 2 players fans are just begging for their favorite to play their best for just a couple of games because an entire set or match would be just too much to ask.

O well, here's to hoping the rest of the players play "their best tennis" from here on out. Then we won't have to suffer through a Maria beatdown frenzy, Serbian style. ;)

sfselesfan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Just check out the rest of his posts. It's all I can do to not stalk Miffed's posts, he's always on point.

SF

UDACHi
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

:spit: :haha: :rolls:

why can't i rep max!? :sobbing:

Tamus
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Nobody can beat player “X” when player “X” is at 100%.

Who cares! The bottom line is that the truly GREAT players are able to take advantage of the big occasions, mental and physical problems be damned, and get the win more often than not. I’m actually more impressed with a player who's having an off day and whose weapons aren’t working, yet that player still finds a way to win the match. That says a lot more about a player, than a player simply being in the zone and playing at their (respective) bests. I think it's almost a given that if any of the top players are in the zone they're likely going to win no matter who they're playing.

The truth of the matter is that most players don’t step on court and play at 100% up to their capabilities each time they play. There’s always a lot of ‘X’ factors at play, time of day, confidence, injuries, endurance, pressure, the list goes on and on. And NO, injuries are NOT excluded from this debate. Whether you're having an off day or in the zone, it doesn't change the goal. The goal is always to come up with the win, which translates to competing the best you can- which is different than playing at 100%.

If you’re a player who never loses when you play your best, but only play your best 2% of the time that you step onto the court, are you considered the better player:confused:

I would say no. The best player isn’t the player that when at 100% can beat everybody else, the best player is the player, that no matter what level their playing at, can find a ways to get the win more often than not. It’s about tapping into your skills and being mentally strong enough to come up with the goods regardless of the occasion, regardless of who you’re playing, and regardless of whether or not your at your personal best (physical, mental, or otherwise.)

After two players play each other, when it’s all said and done the only thing that should matter is the score and who came out victorious. Anytime a player losses we can all say it was because they weren’t at their best and for the most part that statement will always be true. The loser seldom plays their personal best and still loses. It happens but not too often, and when it does those are the matches we look back on as classics, partly because it's rare.

If you’re a player who can’t produce your best tennis for some reason or another that’s too bad- better luck next year. On that day of competition you weren’t able to bring the game necessary to be the winner. Some people like to color things in a light where the player they like most is the player that determined the outcome of the match. Venus lost, as opposed to Serena won. Color it however you must, again the bottom line is on that day of competition the best player is the one that came up with the win!

What I admire most in players like Steffi, Serena, Justine, Sharapova, Venus, and the other greats, is that on a consistent basis they're able to tap into their own "greatness" and do what it takes to get the job done on the big occassions.

The “STUFF” that champs are made of:
RESULTS, not excuses!

So true. But I'd like to point out Serena Williams' favorite saying: "If I play my best, nobody can beat me."