PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova: a new Monica Seles?

spiritedenergy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
These are the common points of Maria and Monica (pre-stabbing):

- initials: M.S.
- deep involvement of their fathers
- confidence and fierceness
- grunt
- groundstrokes penetrating to both angles
- passing shots that kill the volleyer even when hit on the run
- huge serve (Maria's better)
- huge return of serve
- fairly good retriever (Monica was better)

As much as I dislike Sharapova, I'm very scared at the moment that she could become as dominant as Monica was, even for a short period of time. Imagine her having a year winning more than 1 slam or the Olympics... WTA would become the Sharapova's bitch and I really hope it won't happen:tape:

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I see them as totally different players other than they both grunt and hit the ball hard.

Maria is closer to Lindsay in game style IMO.

SF

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM

- huge return of serve

As much as I dislike Sharapova, I'm very scared at the moment that she could become as dominant as Monica was, even for a short period of time. Imagine her having a year winning more than 1 slam or the Olympics... WTA would become the Sharapova's bitch and I really hope it won't happen:tape:

Another idiotic post from you... Sharapova is not monica, because when monica came along there was no "big babe tennis" if you will (stealing from mary jo).

Monica was the debut of big babe tennis, which once Davenport, Venus and Serena came along the flood gates opened....

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I hope she'll apart of the stabing sure ,

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Both are also well-known 'grunter'.:angel:

Steffica Greles
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
These comparisons are always tenuous.

First of all, Monica was more of a matchplayer. Other than Hingis, there has not been a player as tactically astute in women's tennis since Chris Evert.

Maria is in no way, shape or form a tactical player.

Monica's serve was never a major weapon. Maria's serve, when she's playing well, is the bedrock of her game.

Monica was far more consistent, and fought through so many tough matches against quality opposition. Maria has lost rather a lot of close matches to top five players at slams, which she could have won had she played well when it mattered.

The similarity is that both have a desire to win which overrides all else (and dare I say it, that they both grunt). But that's not enough to uphold the comparison.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
^ I disagree. Monica's serve was a weapon. After her comeback, not so much.

SF

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
They scream on court.

The similarities end there.

maryjane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
right.and then,father's involvement is a normal thing in tennis so this can't be a similarity between them.above all because monica's father didn't have nothing in common with maria's father.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Monica won 8 majors as a teen and was a dominant #1 when she was stabbed.

There's no comparison.

maryjane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
right right right.so tremendous right.

Steffica Greles
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
^ I disagree. Monica's serve was a weapon. After her comeback, not so much.

SF

What?!?!

How many of Monica's pre-stabbing matches have you watched?

If anything, the only area of her game that DID improve after the stabbing was her serve. Her serve was one of her main weapons in roughly 50% of her matches, a problem in others.

Before the stabbing, Monica's serve was just functional. It was not a weakness, but it was just a way of starting points. The one exception was her service in the 1993 Australian Open final, when she aced Steffi with 100mph plus serves at key moments (the mark of a champion, growing in confidence). We'll never know what that might have led to.

But pre-stabbing Monica's serve was feared by no one.

Pheobo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know how you compare a legendary tennis player to a girl who's able to win a slam every now and then.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
^ Her serve was always a powerful shot among an arsenal of powerful shots (return, forehand and backhand). They were all powerful. Did it compare to Schultz-McArthy? Of course not. But given the state of the serves in the women's game at the time it was always considered among the top.

The reason it was less of a weapon after her comeback was because the rest of the tour caught up with her power game during the time she was away.

At the time, Jennifer's serve was functional. Monica's was powerful. That was the difference in the two early power games where every shot was strong.

SF

SV_Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Monica Seles is one of the hardest hitters all time. Maria Sharapova can't create angles nearly as sharp as Monica. Only difference I see is height, grunt and the serve. Also Maria sharapova could barely return Venus' serve at wimbledon. IN a match against Serena in 2000 Monica pounced on it and created a really sharp angle to take the point.

Slumpsova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
i can't believe you said this spiritedenergy. shame on you! :fiery:

MisterQ
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
They seem very different to me because their stroke production is so dissimilar. Monica had compact, explosive power. She took the ball extremely early, standing far into the court when possible. This enabled her to hit frighteningly acute angles. When she was inside the court, she hit the ball flatter. Her disguise was one of her biggest weapons -- it was very hard to predict where the shot was going.

Maria's strokes are longer, more like Davenport's. The power comes from a long, powerful swing. She doesn't take the ball as early, preferring to really wind up and hit a powerful, heavy shot.

Maria's serve is much more of a weapon than Monica's, although Monica did develop it into a surprisingly effective stroke as her career went on.

I would say that Monica's court sense was superior -- in addition to her power, she really knew when to throw up a moonball to give herself time to get back into the court, and she was wise in selecting passing shots.

I will concede the following similarities between the two, though:

Powerful game based around superlative groundstrokes
Lack of raw speed, but great alertness and footwork
Relatively poor at the net: sometimes accused of one-dimensionality, though spectacular in that dimension!
Intense focus on every point; great fight and mental strength
Willingness to go for the lines on a big point
and yes... the grunt :lol:

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Seles > Sharapova- Always.

Sharapova is not like Seles at all. Different games.

Sund7101
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
No

Craigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Maria sharapova could barely return Venus' serve at wimbledon. IN a match against Serena in 2000 Monica pounced on it and created a really sharp angle to take the point.

They aren't the same players.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
:rolleyes: oh please

KBdoubleu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM

- grunt
- huge return of serve

1-who cares about initials
2-relationship with father doesnt matter
3-all top players have confidence
4-Venus and Serena grunt too
5-yes they both have good/great groundstrokes, but Maria doesn't even come close to the angles Monica could get
6-yes they both have good passing shots, but so do all the top players
7-Maria has a much better serve than Monica ever had (excluding last yr)
8-Monica has a much better return of serve than Maria
9-Maria is not a good mover

tennisfan5
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM

- grunt
- huge return of serve

initials--i'll give you that one:)

fathers--difference is that Monica's was involved and not psychotic. He would also applaud the opponents' shots, whereas Yuri apparently wants to slit their throats?

confidence and fierceness--ok, but monica's was still better

grunt--Monica's "haeee!" will always be better than "rwhooooooooo""

groundstrokes--as previous people mentioned, different stroke production. Monica's angles waaaay better, though Maria has good ones

as for the others, passing shots, return of serve, retrieving monica was better. Maria the better serve.

Maria is more like Lindsay

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Maria has the game of Lindsay Davenport with the work ethic of Justine Henin and the Mental Tenacity of Monica Seles. If she can keep her improved movement and variety going, she'll be no. 1, in my opinion.

Mightymirza
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
not too similar except the initials thing!

DownTheLine21
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Is this thread a joke? If anything, Sharapova's game most resembles a prime Davenport.

tonybotz
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I've seen the similarity between the two also. I think its mostly their determination and the way they both play every point like its "live or die". There is a resemblence in their games in that respect. There are some intangibles also, but I definitely have always seen a little Monica in Maria.

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
What a spirited retard :hearts: :kiss: :worship:. Keep the bullshit posts coming babe. Love you much :kiss:.