PDA

View Full Version : Why do Sharapova fans assume she can keep this level up?

iPatty
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Maria played arguably the best match of her life last night against Justine. Okay, good for her.

What makes you guys think that she can just come out and play like that again? She is playing a completely different opponent with completely different strengths and weaknesses.
I know there is already a thread similar to this, but we have seen in the past with Maria how her level can just decline rapidly after playing extremely well.

I wouldn't put it past Venus or Jelena to take her out handily. Clearly she is playing the best out of any woman in the tournament up to this point, but don't count your chickens before they count.

Venus playing near her best can (and has in the past) wipe the floor with this Maria.

UDACHi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
give me an example of maria playing a great match and having a letdown. usually maria's form holds for most of a tournament.
i don't think she'll play the way she did today, but she's the favorite for the championship my eyes. she is focused and confident and has beaten three big names and has yet to lose a set.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
give me an example of maria playing a great match and having a letdown. usually maria's form holds for most of a tournament.
i don't think she'll play the way she did today, but she's the favorite for the championship my eyes. she is focused and confident and has beaten three big names and has yet to lose a set.

07 Austrailian open Final after wiping the floor with Clijsters.....

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
It's partly matchups. If Venus is playing well, she won't give Maria the time that Justine gave her.
That's the only matchup where Sharapova isn't a huge favorite.

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
duh.

up!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM

Maria wasn't playing that well...:o

Direwolf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM

Wimbledon 05..
yet to lose a set..
and had like only 1 bp against her...

then came Venus

Russianboy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM

maria played normal. it wasnt that good. both maria and kim played awful

@Sweet Cleopatra
Why not ?

When you do something on the present you can do it again on the future ,and she must have credit since she's playing excellent since YEC , it's not about winning the tourny it's about playing great tennis ,

I am hearing a lot of excuses to not giving her credits ,

1 They were all tierd on YEC ,

2 She only beat Davenport ,

3 She only beat Dementieva , wait till she meats Henin ,

4 Yes she played very well and beat Henin ..... But she can't play like that all the time ,
I want her to win for many reasons , one of them to know the new excuse

Aravanecaravan
Maria played arguably the best match of her life last night against Justine. Okay, good for her.

What makes you guys think that she can just come out and play like that again? She is playing a completely different opponent with completely different strengths and weaknesses.
I know there is already a thread similar to this, but we have seen in the past with Maria how her level can just decline rapidly after playing extremely well.

I wouldn't put it past Venus or Jelena to take her out handily. Clearly she is playing the best out of any woman in the tournament up to this point, but don't count your chickens before they count.

Venus playing near her best can (and has in the past) wipe the floor with this Maria.

No one is counting chickens. However, it's easy for a player to "wipe the floor" with a player whose serving arm is hurt. It's not so easy when that player is healthy. Or are you in denial about that? Maria is healthier than she has been since the fall of 2006, and it shows. She didn't just luck into beating Davenport, Dementieva and Henin while surrendering a grand total of 10 games.

Maria's coughed up all of 20 games in all five of her matches here (only 13 since the first match, which means she is improving, not slacking off), with the hardest draw of anyone in the tournament. That's four games a match. She has an obscene winner to UE ratio, is serving as well as she ever has, and just annihilated the world number 1.

No one has said she is a "lock" to win, but you'd be nuts to think there's anyone with a better chance.

She has earned the respect of being the favorite with her play on the court.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
I agree. Another example would be 07 USOpen winning the first couple of matches easily, then losing to Radwanska.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Serena played great on AO 2007 and deserved to win

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I actually think Maria can keep this level up. She's shown great form throughout the tournament. She's crossed the finish line twice in slams. There's no reason to think she'll have a major let down. I think the bigger question is whether Jelena can try to exploit a weakness in her game. Or, if Venus/Ana/other can do so in the final. Should be interesting. I'm hoping Maria stays on point, and I think odds are she will.

SF

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
She doesn't have to play like that to win the title. She can beat Jankovic easily even if she plays a worse than she did in her QF. And Ivanovic she can beat if she plays close to how she played. The only problem is Venus but Venus has been less impressive than Serena and Henin and both were bounced out. so barring some freak injury or massive choke I can't see her losing.

Tennisation
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
uh...cuz she's been playing at a high level pretty much all tournament

beriadan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Venus only wipes the floor with Maria when Maria isn't playing that well.

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
:weirdo:
Did she not show great form against Davenport and Dementieva before this? I mean, people still didn't expect Maria's win (even though everyone seems to be saying that they "knew" Maria had this win in the bag) but really Justine lead the poll.
I'd say her win over Elena was an extremely impressive one as well, and her win over Davenport. I mean, after the Davenport match, she's bagelled her opponent in the second set each time.

Even so, I'm still not 100% confident for Maria against Jankovic, because even though Jelena may be tired or hurting, or not, she's going to be very dangerous and has a game that matches up well against most top players.

Anyway, she's shown awesome form all tournament, so there's no problem in being confident that in her sixth match, she might keep that going.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
She doesn't have to play like that to win the title. She can beat Jankovic easily even if she plays a worse than she did in her QF. And Ivanovic she can beat if she plays close to how she played. The only problem is Venus but Venus has been less impressive than Serena and Henin and both were bounced out. so barring some freak injury or massive choke I can't see her losing.

Venus is playing better than she did in the early rounds of Wimbledon. If I recall, you counted her out then too. While I agree Venus could lose the tournament...I don't think it requires a freak injury or choke from Sharapova to do so. Venus is just as much of a contender as Maria is.

(e.g. See Hong Kong Final)

SF

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

Again, see Hong Kong Final.

SF

Tennisstar86
:weirdo:
Did she not show great form against Davenport and Dementieva before this? I mean, people still didn't expect Maria's win (even though everyone seems to be saying that they "knew" Maria had this win in the bag) but really Justine lead the poll.
I'd say her win over Elena was an extremely impressive one as well, and her win over Davenport. I mean, after the Davenport match, she's bagelled her opponent in the second set each time.

Even so, I'm still not 100% confident for Maria against Jankovic, because even though Jelena may be tired or hurting, or not, she's going to be very dangerous and has a game that matches up well against most top players.

Anyway, she's shown awesome form all tournament, so there's no problem in being confident that in her sixth match, she might keep that going.

:rolleyes: Many posters here expected a win from Sharapova, and not just Sharapova fans, cause Henin hasnt been playin that well this tournament. There was an thread about it. And the commentators were split on who they thought would win (the ones who actually pay attention to womens tennis that is, the others picked Justine, cause they dont really pay attention)

starin
Venus is playing better than she did in the early rounds of Wimbledon. If I recall, you counted her out then too. While I agree Venus could lose the tournament...I don't think it requires a freak injury or choke from Sharapova to do so. Venus is just as much of a contender as Maria is.

(e.g. See Hong Kong Final)

SF

I meant freak injury or massive choke against Jankovic is the only way I can see Sharapova losing the SF.

empressionist
this level of play will be hard to keep up, but maria was superb throughout this tournament. hopefully jelena will also raise her game more for the sf...

UDACHi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wimbledon 05..
yet to lose a set..

then came Venus

maria was awful against petrova in the quarters. she played better against venus than she had in prior rounds. :p

I agree. Another example would be 07 USOpen winning the first couple of matches easily, then losing to Radwanska.

good one. ;) but she was playing shitty opponents.

can't recall a time where maria was dismantling top players and didn't take the title.

Tennisstar86
I meant freak injury or massive choke against Jankovic is the only way I can see Sharapova losing the SF.

I dont know Jankovic is crafty...noone expected her to push Venus like she did at the US open... she gets a ton of balls back....

HitmanX
Wimbledon 05..
yet to lose a set..

then came Venus

she beat petrova 7-6 6-4 in quarters in that tournament. Now that is pretty horrible form.

iPatty
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

The same could be said for any player. You could say Justine wasn't playing well. That point is invalid. Another Maria injury excuse? Please.

Serena played fantastic tennis (better than how Maria played, IMO) in her three matches before playing Jelena, and lost tamely. Who is to say the same won't happen for Maria?

Bitmap
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Easy, confidence!!!:lick:

A Magicman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Pova has not shown a single sign of weakness in the past 5 matches. She has dominated all her opponents. May it be the designed (haha) Oz Open winner Davenport, may it be the #1 in the world Ms Laurel. There is no sihn why this brilliant shape should perish to dust.

And b4 Venus can wipe the floor with Maria, she has to get past Ivanovic. And I have slight doubts that this will happen.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Wimbledon 05..
yet to lose a set..

then came Venus

yea i was gonna use that example...however it remains to be seen so going on level of play as of now she's the one to beat...although at the time she was also the one to beat while venus wasn't playing that hot as is the case now

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
The same could be said for any player. You could say Justine wasn't playing well. That point is invalid. Another Maria injury excuse? Please.

Serena played fantastic tennis (better than how Maria played, IMO) in her three matches before playing Jelena, and lost tamely. Who is to say the same won't happen for Maria?

You my friend are foolish. What tennis were you watching? Serena "Cement Shoes" Williams playing better than Maria? If you knew what you were talking about (like I do), it would have been clear as day that Serena was only going as far as her serve carried her in this tournament. Her serve slipped and Jankovic took care of her in 2 sets. Foolish foolish hater. Shouldn't be a Nole fan either, don't like ignorant people screwing with the fan base of my faves.

You only start this post because secretely, deep down inside you want Maria to play a bad match, you pray for it at night when you are saying your prayers. You sir disgust me!

And Venus better get by Ivanovic because her game is a joke.

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
You my friend are foolish. What tennis were you watching? Serena "Cement Shoes" Williams playing better than Maria? If you knew what you were talking about (like I do), it would have been clear as day that Serena was only going as far as her serve carried her in this tournament. Her serve slipped and Jankovic took care of her in 2 sets. Foolish foolish hater. Shouldn't be a Nole fan either, don't like ignorant people screwing with the fan base of my faves.

You only start this post because secretely, deep down inside you want Maria to play a bad match, you pray for it at night when you are saying your prayers. You sir disgust me!

:haha:
Come on Greg, you know it's true. :hehehe:

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Venus is not in the final yet and Sharapova ought to watch Jankovic who (assuming she's fit) is more than capable of absorbing her power.

Though if Maria plays like she did today, she's going to win this title.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Venus is not in the final yet and Sharapova ought to watch Jankovic who (assuming she's fit) is more than capable of absorbing her power.

Though if Maria plays like she did today, she's going to win this title.

Unless she meets an in-form Venus in the final. Then it's battle royale.

SF

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

That's it.

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'd imagine for the same reason Sister fans expect them to beat everyone else...

...we've seen them both play at "unbeatable" levels and of course hope/expect to see that level late in any Grand Slam. :shrug:

I like Maria and expect her to keep it up, I just hope Venus is there to match that level in the final.
:angel:

Volcana
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not a Sharapova fan, but what I saw yesterday was somebody playing like they'd had an epiphany. Sometimes you play a sport for a long time, then one day, the light goes on, and you realize / see / feel HOW to play the game, not just how to execute the strokes. Her shotmaking will come back to earth, but the point building acumen may have just taken a quantum leap.

joão.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Erm, maybe because she's been in this level during most of this tournament?

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Maria fans are getting excited about this cause she was doing things against Justine that's she's never done before, and moving better than she ever has.

This wasn't just Maria finding her range and hitting the daylights out of the ball, she was constructing points and changing it up when she needed to with beautiful slice approaches, etc. She did everything phenomenally well. She's never played with that complete a game.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm not a Sharapova fan, but what I saw yesterday was somebody playing like they'd had an epiphany. Sometimes you play a sport for a long time, then one day, the light goes on, and you realize / see / feel HOW to play the game, not just how to execute the strokes. Her shotmaking will come back to earth, but the point building acumen may have just taken a quantum leap.

We've all been in that zone atleast 1 point in our lives regardless what sport we were playing. I've had it happen numerous times, and it is by far the best feeling/sensation in the world. You can't do any wrong, and everything just seems so easy and effortless no matter how difficult it may have been. It's almost as if your mind shuts off, and you don't even have to think because you're so in the ZONE. Damn I love that feeling.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM

please speak easy english , :)

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Maria can beat anybody & nobody can beat maria , only one condition maria should not commit 15 DF what she was doing when Henin, Venus & others were beating her & exactly what she is not doing right now. Is there anybody who has such an impressive unreturnable 1st serve combined with heavy ground strokes. If Maria can check her unforced errors and can put high percentage of 1st serve then Venus you have zero chance.

Volcana
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Maria can beat anybody & nobody can beat maria , only one condition maria should not commit 15 DF what she was doing when Henin, Venus & others were beating her & exactly what she is not doing right now. Sharapova committed six DFs against Venus at Wimbledon.Is there anybody who has such an impressive unreturnable 1st serve combined with heavy ground strokes.Venus. Maybe Ana Ivanovic too. Certainly Nicole Vaidisova. And Serena of course.

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Masha fans make this assumption because they are Masha fans, just as at this time last year Serena fans were speculating about her getting a Slam, and just a few days ago Justine fans were speculating about a Golden Slam and, yes, even the cult of the Demented were sure that her form from Kremlin Cup would finally deliver her a major.

Part of being a fan means being less than objective when your favorite is playing. Any major win is a sign of the things to come. Any catastrophic defeat is a minor setback, most likely due to fatigue, an injury, a bizarre call or steroid abuse by her opponent.

I think her form will probably hold for this tournament. I do wonder what will happen on carpet and clay, and if that will affect her when she gets back on grass and hardcourts.

Brooks.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Maria is playing the best...she'll win.

and she deserves to

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
IMO i think she can keep this level
there is no reason why not
and i think she can reach a even higher one:p

Ryan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I think its pretty certain that Maria will have at least a little decline in her SF match. I dont think any tennis player can be in the zone like Maria was for the SF and F of a Grand Slam, especially in this day and age where your opponents can hammer the ball back at you. She should beat Jankovic even if she has a dip in form - people said it about Serena too, but Serena played like shite until the second set, and even then wasn't THAT great. Maria will punish Jelena's serves and probably win, IMO, 6-4 7-5 or in three more lopsided sets.

If Venus beats Ana then she should definitely make the Finals. I cant see her losing to Hantuchova or Radwanska in their FIRST Slam semi, no way at all! I honestly don't think Venus has played very well this tournament at all. :shrug: I think she's played lethargic, passive tennis and only bothered to summon up her talent when she was in trouble. She's probably trying to conserve her energy, and I think it could help her with Ana. If Ana beats Venus, I think she's more likely to have the yips in the SF with all the pressure on her, but she should go through to the Finals too.

If I HAD to pick Venus or Ana, I'd say Ana wins the first set 6-2 or 6-3, Venus rallies in the middle of the second set and takes it 6-3 or 6-4, and then she rolls in the third to about 5-2 before Ana makes a comeback and wins or Venus closes it out.

Or one stomps the other in two bad sets - this tournament seems doomed haha.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I dont know Jankovic is crafty...noone expected her to push Venus like she did at the US open... she gets a ton of balls back....
True. But I think Jankovic did nothing special in that match but live off the Venus UE. IMO Venus imploded in that match and w/out 1/2 those UE it would have been 62 62 or something like that.

she beat petrova 7-6 6-4 in quarters in that tournament. Now that is pretty horrible form.
U're comparing Petrova from back then to now. Remember Petrova was a top ten player and she has big serve. So it's not surprise it was close. And Sharapova was on fire in Wimbledon 2005...EVERYBODY thought she was going to win easily but Venus played lights out tennis in that SF match.

Ivanovic's game is not a joke :rolleyes: Good serve and big forehand and decent backhand is not a joke.

Serena was not playing her best and was not in better form than Sharapova but she was playing better then she had at the end 2007 from FO on. She was moving a little better and hitting the ball bigger. Serena just completely imploded in the QF, basically was playing with a top 20/30 players serve. The point is Serena was serving well and then suddenly couldn't find her serve. Do you really think Sharapova would beat Jankovic easily if she suddenly lost her serve like Serena? Without her serve Sharapova, like most players will lose confidence in other parts of her game. There are no guarantees and if Shrapova suddenly finds the yips in the SF she could lose to Jankovic for sure. But IMO she's not going to is going to crush Jankovic 62 61 or somethign like that.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think its pretty certain that Maria will have at least a little decline in her SF match. I dont think any tennis player can be in the zone like Maria was for the SF and F of a Grand Slam, especially in this day and age where your opponents can hammer the ball back at you. She should beat Jankovic even if she has a dip in form - people said it about Serena too, but Serena played like shite until the second set, and even then wasn't THAT great. Maria will punish Jelena's serves and probably win, IMO, 6-4 7-5 or in three more lopsided sets.

If Venus beats Ana then she should definitely make the Finals. I cant see her losing to Hantuchova or Radwanska in their FIRST Slam semi, no way at all! I honestly don't think Venus has played very well this tournament at all. :shrug: I think she's played lethargic, passive tennis and only bothered to summon up her talent when she was in trouble. She's probably trying to conserve her energy, and I think it could help her with Ana. If Ana beats Venus, I think she's more likely to have the yips in the SF with all the pressure on her, but she should go through to the Finals too.

If I HAD to pick Venus or Ana, I'd say Ana wins the first set 6-2 or 6-3, Venus rallies in the middle of the second set and takes it 6-3 or 6-4, and then she rolls in the third to about 5-2 before Ana makes a comeback and wins or Venus closes it out.

Or one stomps the other in two bad sets - this tournament seems doomed haha.

I think that's most likely to happen. I don't buy this Venus is trying to conserve energy thing cuz if she wanted to save energy she wouldn't play passive and defend more which takes more energy then to hit winners and get it over with. I think she's just not confident in her game right now and her big flat first serve that has poor placement is practically neutralized on this court. All the girls are getting it back....in fact they are just bunting it back and using Venus' pace to catch her off guard.