PDA

View Full Version : How well really is Venus playing?

J_Migoe
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
The hype seems to be on Sharapova and Jelena right now following their stunning victories yesterday and everyone seems to think that either one of these two will take the title. I know Ana Ivanovic and Daniela are flying well under the radar too but how well has Venus been playing?
I mean, she's floating by her draw quite comfortably playing an okay tennis but at this stage (especially given what happened to Serena), how realistic are her chances at the trophy?
I know Venus is the fave against Ana Ivanovic but after Serena's demoralising loss last night, I'm not sure anymore. I'm really worried for Venus!

Tennisation
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Serena & Justine were both favorites in their matches & look what happen, blown off the court in easy straight sets, Venus will probably follow the same fate I'm afraid.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
The issue with Venus is that (1) she generally plays to the level of her opponents, and therefore she tends to do much better as she gets closer to the finish line. Plus, (2) historically she tends to raise her game a couple of levels when Serena loses in a slam.

SF

vwfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
she'll get pumped for the match against Ana! The sets might be closer, but I expect another straight set win.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Venus didn't play that well the other night against Domachowska. She's been up and down. With the sisters out of doubles and Serena out of the singles draw, I think Venus can focus all on herself. I hope she takes advantage of the draw.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Serena & Justine were both favorites in their matches & look what happen, blown off the court in easy straight sets, Venus will probably follow the same fate I'm afraid.

True Venus fans know to take it one match at a time with Venus... she can come out on fire and she can come out stale... a win is a win... If shes in that final though. shes dangerous.......

Anyways...Im hoping for a repeat of 07... Sharapova destroys a belgian and is the favorite then gets tore apart by a williams...

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
v does not always play well in the first week of the slam. even though it seems like venus has struggled, what has been impressive is how she always buckled down and reeled her opponents back in when they appeared to be getting away. which shows me that she has several gears to draw from when she's playing. she dialed it up just a bit with domachowska and she can dial it way up for ivanovic.

i have no predictions. but i would not count v out in the second week of a slam - and one she's never won at that.

like justine said, the second week is another tournament.

Direwolf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Venus didn't play that well the other night against Domachowska. She's been up and down. With the sisters out of doubles and Serena out of the singles draw, I think Venus can focus all on herself. I hope she takes advantage of the draw.

Venus was very tactical on her match against Domachowska...
she got into the rall first before
she made her strike...

she absorbed her opponent first before she made her strike
she watched her opponent first before she made her strike

and as the match went on, she realised what she had to do..
her level of play was steady the whole match..

the only hiccup was when she was serving for the match
at 6-4 5-3...

this is Venus taking her match one at a time...
you can see that she wants to finish all her matches
in two sets..
cuz i think that she thinks
that her anemia might come back again...

davidmario
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
what's up with her thigh? It was taped against domachowska and in yesterday's doubles it was even heavier taped:scared:

Direwolf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
if you noticed..
Venus improved her level of play
from the first 2 rounds to the
next 2 rounds

vwfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ana is playing better than Venus so far in this tournament.

she has lost fewer games: 25 to Venus' 34;
she has a more favorable W/UE differential: +2 to -26; and
she has dropped fewer serve games: 10 to 12.

Ana is ranked higher than Venus and playing better, so she should be the favorite. Also, this is a slower surface and should give Ana more time to set up her big forehand.

Still, this match is on Venus Williams' racket. If she doesn't lift her game more, she will experience her first loss against Ana. If she plays at the level she played at Wimbledon and U.S. Open where she beat Ana quite convincingly, game, set and match to Venus.

Let's go Venus. Do this thing!

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
what's up with her thigh? It was taped against domachowska and in yesterday's doubles it was even heavier taped:scared:

I think its the courts... all the players seem to be taped up in some form or fashion..... rough on the legs....

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Right now Venus isnt playing well enough to win. She will have to show big improvement today against Ivanovic. But you can NEVER underestimate big Vee baby...when she is on her game there isnt a woman on the tour that can stop her. Her problem has been holding serve. (same problem as justine) So...right now I'm giving Sharapova the edge as far as what i've seen...but I'm still pulling for Venus to take the title...she will step it up at the right time when she has that mentally set in her head.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
She is playing good. I've been most impressed with her mental game/mentality (she is working her opponents out, staying clam and angry - wanting the win without over hitting / over trying) as well as her low error counts (about 20 per match on average is decent for Venus - its normally 30something).

Her serving has been okay, could be better, and needs to be better in her next match (to begin).

I'm worried about her footwork and energy levels. She isn't flowin like she can, and has her thigh strapped. But i'm hoping in the bigger matches, she'll give more of an effort and so her footwork and energy levels will seem higher.

I think overall, Venus is playing mature, consistent tennis which makes her tough to beat. But to really take this AO away from the other players, she needs to BRING IT - take it up a level.

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Didn't she hoist the Wimbledon trophy with her thigh strapped last year?

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM

she has a more favorable W/UE differential: +2 to -16; and

I won't read to much into those stats, only because i think Venus has had tougher opponents in the form of Mirza and Domarchowska (sp) really playing out of their minds from the start.

I honestly believe if Venus can hold it together and play her game - she should win this match in straights. I can only hope she doesn't come out like Serena did...

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
I won't read to much into those stats, only because i think Venus has had tougher opponents in the form of Mirza and Domarchowska (sp) really playing out of their minds from the start.

I honestly believe if Venus can hold it together and play her game - she should win this match in straights. I can only hope she doesn't come out like Serena did...

yeah, we can only hope.... The players Ivanovic have played A) didnt attack, B) dont move like venus....I think thats something people forget about a matchup against Venus....

Players either attack well, or move well... Venus does both....

young_gunner913
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Venus will raise the level of her game. The remaining players in the bottom half really arent a threat to Venus and the winner of Sharapova/Jankovic will probably be really worn out anyways. Venus can definently take this title if she wants it bad enough.

vwfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

I honestly believe if Venus can hold it together and play her game - she should win this match in straights. I can only hope she doesn't come out like Serena did...Actually, her stats are quite comparable to Ana's, except for the Pin match.

In that match, Venus committed 44 UE, had like -17 W/UE differential, double faulted six times and dropped serve six times!

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
You should be worried.

Venus is playing ok but will have to step it up in a big way to beat Ivanovic who was playing very well in her first set against Wozniacki. Second set less though I accept.

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
She's playing just well enough to win, so far. :angel:

Often a Serena loss inspires her, hope that's the case this week. :devil:

AcesHigh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
With Venus, you dont know what to expect.. but ideally, if she plays to her capabilities... she has a dream path to the title.

Ivanovic's game plays right to VEnus's strengths
Radwanksa(sp?) and Hantuchova don't worry me at all
Sharapova also plays to VEnus's strengths and Venus won't be as passive as Henin

The title is in Venus's hands.. this is the best chance she has ever had at the title IMO.

SV_Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well I know that Venus said that she likes to win Serena.
What will Serena's new ranking.

harloo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:27 PM

Serena wasn't blown off the court at all. :tape::lol:

SV_Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I thought of something. Venus has been playing much better.

1. She getting over 60% of her 1st serves in
2. She winning over 60% of 2nd serve
3. With each match she has made fewer errors.
4. She's being more aggressive
5. She appears to be mentally stronger.

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Come on Venus all my hopes are rested on you now
hope she bets Ivanovic well
I am so worried because of the strap and her level of play hopefully she will up it up for this game:)

s_j
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
The thing about Venus is that she is so unpredictable. To be honest, she hasn't been playing "title-winner tennis". She has lost more games to certain players than she should have, eg. Mirza and Domachowska. There hasn't been one match when I've thought "Yes, Venus can win the tournament playing like that." However, Venus can burn hot and cold. One day she can be off and the next be next to flawless. However, I do honestly believe that Maria has been playing too consistently well ('consistently' being the operative word there) for anyone to beat her. I daresay Venus will reach the final because Ana has been very inconsistent with her performance these past 2 weeks and Venus has beaten Ana on hardcourts before. According to tour results, Maria has won every match against Venus on hardcourts (basically, every surface other than grass at Wimbledon) and so, playing the amazing tennis she's been playing, I would say Maria will win. Venus really needs to step it up NOW if she has any chance to win the title because so far she hasn't impressed me.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
With Venus, you dont know what to expect.. but ideally, if she plays to her capabilities... she has a dream path to the title.

Ivanovic's game plays right to VEnus's strengths
Radwanksa(sp?) and Hantuchova don't worry me at all
Sharapova also plays to VEnus's strengths and Venus won't be as passive as Henin

The title is in Venus's hands.. this is the best chance she has ever had at the title IMO.

Radwanska worries me more than Daniela. Radwanska plays the style of game that can give Venus fits (see Hingis, Chakvetadze, Jankovic) and she plays it in a style all her own. I would much rather Venus go against a known entity than an unknown. I see her handling Ivanovic if she plays her game. Hantuchova, same thing. Radwanska is the scariest of all for me. Sarapova, I give a slight edge to Venus in a GS final.

SF

dya74
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I saw her in doubles, she didn't play so good. Both sisters played actually bad. I don't see Vensu a fav with Ivanovic, and I suppose it wasn't a brillinat idea to play doubles, they run out of energy.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Radwanska worries me more than Daniela. Radwanska plays the style of game that can give Venus fits (see Hingis, Chakvetadze, Jankovic) and she plays it in a style all her own. I would much rather Venus go against a known entity than an unknown. I see her handling Ivanovic if she plays her game. Hantuchova, same thing. Radwanska is the scariest of all for me. Sarapova, I give a slight edge to Venus in a GS final.

SF

yeah...not to mention Hantuchoka is liable to beat herself.....

serenus_2k8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Look at JJ. She came in looking kinda injured, played pretty poor, lost a lot of games and then her game just rocketed!

No reason Vee cant do the same since she is the better player anyway?

In The Zone
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
^^ Good point.

Good luck Vee. ;)

SV_Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Venus can do well if she plays the way she played the way she did in Hong Kong

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
^^ Good point.

Good luck Vee. ;)

Ditto Very good point...Jelena was on her way out...now she's beaten Serena who was looking very good the match b4. Venus was on her way our the first round of Wimbledon last year...and you saw was happened. NEVER underestimate Big Venus Williams baby....I want her to win her first Australian THIS YEAR!!!!

Black Mamba.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Vee needs to come into the match with more energy and effort than Serena showed.

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM

she has a more favorable W/UE differential: +2 to -26; and

Ana is ranked higher than Venus and playing better, so she should be the favorite. Also, this is a slower surface and should give Ana more time to set up her big forehand.

Still, this match is on Venus Williams' racket. If she doesn't lift her game more, she will experience her first loss against Ana. If she plays at the level she played at Wimbledon and U.S. Open where she beat Ana quite convincingly, game, set and match to Venus.

Let's go Venus. Do this thing!

in a way the stats don't mean much. jj was almost out of the tournament and she just ousted serena who was not struggling as much as she was.

the same goes for some of the other players.

second week of a grand slam - it's another game altogether.

Viktymise
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
She's played well enough to win all her matches in 2 sets. She hasn't needed to play anywhere near her best so far. She really needs to up it against Ivanovic though.

Form in this tournament has proved superfluous though. After Serena - Vaidisova, i really thought that Serena was headed for the final. Her serve was on fire and her movement was so much better and she looked motivated. Then just 2 days later plays as flat as a pankake. I mean Vaidisova would have beaten Jankovic today, gotten a set at least.

I really hope V can do it. :scared: Would be fantabulous if she could win AO, prove people wrong that she's not just a threat at Wimbledon. :o

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I'm I the only Venus fan that is most concerned about the potential Radwanska matchup? Especially given the style of play that Radwanska employs.

SF

G1Player2
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm I the only Venus fan that is most concerned about the potential Radwanska matchup? Especially given the style of play that Radwanska employs.

SF

One match at a time buddy. Venus SHOULD get through Ivanovic but it won't be easy. Luckily, Ivanovic doesn't move particularly well although she has looked fast this tournament.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM

SF

no...lol one match at a time.. let her get their first.....:wavey:

Everymatch that venus plays worries me....

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I don't mean to write off the Ana match. Ana is capable of taking anyone down.

I'm just saying there have been posters on this thread that have said "smooth sailing if Venus gets by Ana" and I disagree.

SF

AcesHigh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I don't mean to write off the Ana match. Ana is capable of taking anyone down.

I'm just saying there have been posters on this thread that have said "smooth sailing if Venus gets by Ana" and I disagree.

SF

I understand your concern..but RAdwanska is not the same caliber as Jankovic and there is no way in hell that Venus would lose to her in a slam semifinal.

J_Migoe
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I understand your concern..but RAdwanska is not the same caliber as Jankovic and there is no way in hell that Venus would lose to her in a slam semifinal.
I've never actually seen this Radwanska girl play. Is she any good?

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
I don't think she is playing well enough to win the title!

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
I've never actually seen this Radwanska girl play. Is she any good?

Yes she is very good. And she plays exactly the type of game that bothers Venus. She's cut from the same cloth as Hingis, Chakvetadze, and to some extent Jelena.

SF

Bruno71
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Venus could really get up for this match against Ana, like she did in 4R at Wimbledon. But it's not center court at Wimbledon, so there's a possibility she may not self-motivate to that level. I'm rooting for Venus big-time in this one though, and I do think the winner will advance to the finals fairly routinely.

GogoGirl
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
All,

Venus has started sort of slow at this tourney. She's played well enough to win - but not very stellar - and especially as it matches up to her 2007 Wimby run. It was the fourth round where she upped the ante against Maria @ Wimby and found herself front and centre court. At this tourney she's made it to the qtrs before picking up her play. If there ever was a time to put the pedal to the metal and pick up her play - the time is at hand.

Hopefully Pops Williams (And good on his teachings in all the years past and hopefully now), has had a chat w/Venus. I can hear him now on the cell.

Pops: "Now Venus you know you are better than all of the players left in the draw - right?" "You need to wake up - NOW!" "You've never lost to Ana (Affectionally known as - "That girl") before, so don't start now." "When you beat her - you are in the final." "There is no good reason why you can't and won't claim your first Ozzie open." "There are no other players in the draw that have won six slams." "Maria has won two and if you just beat her in Hong Kong and at Wimby last year - you can do it again" 'Now - I don't want to watch your match on TV and see you not bearing down and taking it to that youngin', because you are the most experienced and better player." "Do you hear me?" LOL!

Venus" "I hear you, daddy." "I'm going to do it for Serena and I."

Pops: "Now.......that's daddy's girl." LOL!

In other words, if anyone can fire Venus up - it's her daddy. Here's hoping they've spoken today. Venus has struggled - but many of us know and have witnessed countless times that she can step it up when she puts her mind to it.

At Wimby, she beat Maria, Kuzy and Ana. All power hitters. And she beat Marion for good measure. She can do it.

"LET'S GET SERIOUS - VENUS" "WIN YOUR FIRST OZZIE OPEN"

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
All,

Venus has started sort of slow at this tourney. She's played well enough to win - but not very stellar - and especially as it matches up to her 2007 Wimby run. It was the fourth round where she upped the ante against Maria @ Wimby and found herself front and centre court. At this tourney she's made it to the qtrs before picking up her play. If there ever was a time to put the pedal to the metal and pick up her play - the time is at hand.

Hopefully Pops Williams (And good on his teachings in all the years past and hopefully now), has had a chat w/Venus. I can hear him now on the cell.

Pops: "Now Venus you know you are better than all of the players left in the draw - right?" "You need to wake up - NOW!" "You've never lost to Ana (Affectionally known as - "That girl" before, so don't start now." "When you beat her - you are in the final." "There is no good reason why you can't and won't claim your first Ozzie open." "There are no other players in the draw that have won six slams." "Maria has won two and if you just beat her in Hong Kong and at Wimby last year - you can do it again" 'Now - I don't want to watch your match on TV and see you not bearing down and taking it to that youngin', because you are the most experienced and better player." "Do you hear me?" LOL!

Venus" "I hear you, daddy." "I'm going to do it for Serena and I."

Pops: 'Now.......that's daddy's girl." LOL!

In other words, if anyone can fire Venus up - it's her daddy. Here's hoping they've spoken today. Venus has struggled - but many of us know and have witnessed countless times that she can step it up when she puts her mind to it.

At Wimby, she beat Maria, Kuzy and Ana. All power hitters. And she beat Marion for good measure. She can do it.

"LET'S GET SERIOUS - VENUS" "WIN YOUR FIRST OZZIE OPEN"

Oooookay.:help:

GogoGirl
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Oooookay.:help:

All,

You might need to help yourself. I don't need any help - for just like you - I have the right to mine opinion. Got it?

Black Mamba.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
She just needs to get it done. No excuses or anything she just needs to come out ready to rock and rollout and fight.