PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova: Best Performance of Recent Years

Langers
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Henin played very well. Sharapova was out of this world. Everything she did came off, she hit with such power and angle. I've never seen her play better, or anyone for this matter. This wasn't Maria destroying some unranked opponent, this was her beating up the world # who was on a 30+ winning streak.

UNBELIEVABLE performance. :worship:

roots
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
How soon you forget. Wasn't it only last year that Serena blew Maria off the court in Melbourne?

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Maria put on a real serving/aggression display out there. She added a little variety to some strokes as well, probably hit two or three slices, some nice volleys and finished points off at the net after hitting deep, hard approach shots.

That said, Justine did not play very well. She made 11 winners to 21 errors and tactically played a wrong match. Her idea of going with heavy topspin into the middle of the court played right into Maria's hands.

The Daviator
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
11 winners from Justine doesn't shout 'very well' to me :p

Langers
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
How soon you forget. Wasn't it only last year that Serena blew Maria off the court in Melbourne?
Yes, but Maria wasn't 100% and tonight she played Hein who is the best player on tour who's on a huge winning streak. She destroyed the best, with them playing near their best. Amazing.

Langers
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
11 winners from Justine doesn't shout 'very well' to me :p
Maria was playing unreal, that's why. Henin was always, always on the back foot. Henin did all she could, but it wasn't nearly enough to stop the Maria express.

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Maria love the way she is playin
Yes baby Maria
adoration

Wayn77
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
From memory that was the best I have seen Sharapova play.

Haven't seen anybody put Justine under that sort of pressure from the back of the court. She was forced to raise her level in the first set because of what Maria was throwing at her.

Dunno about Justine being at her best.

Compared to New York she's look vulnerable all week.

LANGAM
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I had say if she continues to play like this the tournament is hers ( and I dont even really like Maria). She played unbelievable today. Justine might not have been at her best but she was beaten convincingly today. I do hope Vee will find that next level and take this tournament. But She would have to improve a 1000 times if Masha maintains this form.

RenaSlam.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Congrats to Maria. She deserved this win.

Clearly, Justine is not the "Federer" of the WTA. I'm happy with this result because it creates some interesting storylines for the rest of the year.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Maria was playing unreal, that's why. Henin was always, always on the back foot. Henin did all she could, but it wasn't nearly enough to stop the Maria express.

11 winners to 21 Unforced.... srry, as well as Sharapova played.... when your unforced are double the winners for henin, shes clearly not at her best. Regardless of how much sharapova had her on her "back foot" back foot shots dont count as unforced...

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemRwtjm7Q4

In The Zone
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM

Yes, but Maria wasn't 100% and tonight she played Hein who is the best player on tour who's on a huge winning streak. She destroyed the best, with them playing near their best. Amazing.

You contradict yourself.

And sorry. Serena's performance over Sharapova at the AO 07 still beats this, easily.

Maria played fantastically but you're making too strong of a claim.

Foxy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I had no doubt that Maria was gonna beat Justine like she did at the USO 2 years ago.

Maria is a big girl and her weight of shot was too much for Justine just like it was at the USO.

Because Justine is petite she did not have time to set up for her shots and she was on the defensive because Maria came out banging the ball.

Justine wasn't able to return Maria's serves with any depth on them and it allowed Maria to control the center of the court throughout the match. And Justines topspin did not have that much depth on them either.

Now when she plays Jelena it will be more a game for Maria because Jelena can hit hard and change the direction of the ball, and she's faster than Maria.

I do predict that Maria will also beat Jelena and meet Venus in the final where Venus will stand on the baseline and eat her first serves for dinner. Venus has such a good read on Maria's serve and she's faster and can hit harder than Maria.

I kept saying that this is gonna be a Maria-Venus final with Venus winning her first AO title.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
i think Maria's game is so ugly, however, it used to be nice to watch her play when she was younger and won wimbledon. she seemed to really move around the court well. after winning wimbledon, her game started to become really ugly to watch, seemingly using only brute force from the baseline, little angle, so many errors, and moving kind of awkwardly around the court -- and then combine that with her scream. however, just from the highlights, it seems like Maria is getting some of that old flavor back, which i personally prefer.

tucker1989
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Great performance, absolutely
Best in recent years, absolutely not

DownTheLine21
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
This was the best that I've ever seen Maria play. However, I worry that she may not be able to keep up this same level.

DownTheLine21
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Great performance, absolutely
Best in recent years, absolutely not

I agree. Some people got a little too carried away with this win.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Sharapova played CLASSIC Sharapova tennis..back when she use to give Serena hell in 2004. When she grew in height and it kinda threw her off of her game as far as mobility, plus the shoulder injury didnt help either. I think with the healing of her shoulder, and fitness traning over the holidays, her coach kinda gave some of the things she lost BACK to her. The girl was pretty impressive yesterday. I only hate Sharapova when she's playing a Williams Sister lol..but she has always been my Alternate Williams Sister because she plays almost like them and she's a power game player. She not just a pretty face (like Kournikova who didnt do shit on the tour) but Sharapova can play some gotdamn ball as well! Everyone THOUGHT Henin had the answer for power players, dont think so...she's just been playign power players not playing their game thats all.

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Henin played very well.
Eh ? She was scrambling around the court and serving average to badly.

That said, Maria would have won anyway - she's clearly worked hard in the off season and it's paid off.

justine&coria
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Come on guys, do you really think that Sharapova owns Justine because of one match ?
Justine had a bad day. And Sharapova's fans should know that : remember last year's finals.
I mean, Justine is not the kind of girl to make more than 50UE so that after the match she can say she beat herself, and her opponent didn't win the match.
She tried, but just didn't find her game. I mean, she gave Sharapova easy balls, just like Sharapova did at last year's finals against Serena.
So of course, and good for her, Sharapova took advantage, looked invincible.
But saying that there wasn't anything Justine could do is soooo wrong.

Brooks.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Its the best performance ever ever EVER by a tennis player......BEST EVER! OMMMMMMGGGGG It's So AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rrfnpump
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I still like the third set against Davenport at 04 Wimbledon better. :p

But Maria played awesome today as well. :)