PDA

View Full Version : My Days at the Australian Open

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Not that anyone would care, but because I'm so bored and extremely frustrated that Henin lost to an in form Sharapova, I decided to make my days at AO thread. Don't hate ;).

Oh yes, I took many pictures, so I'm not sure I will have the time to upload all, but do ask, and I'll try my best.

Day 1 Night:

Molik vs Kanepi (Pictures? Yes):

OK this match was pretty poor. Kanepi had chances to take the first set but she just sucked. Molik just hung in there and took her opportunities.

Troicki vs Nadal (Pictures? Yes):

I thought this was a sensational match, Nadal was challenged (:)) and that Troicki was playing some pretty inspired tennis in set 1, but just lost touch with Nadal in set 2 and 3.

Oh and do note to next time Australian Open visitors: Bring in your own food because trust me, you will be waiting in long ass queues and the prices are extremely outrageous.

Day 4 Morning:

Today me and my friend went to Vodafone Arena. Though we did see Maria (Pictures? Yes), Justine (Pictures? Yes), Nadal vs Garcia Lopez (Pictures? Yes), Roddick vs Gasquet (Pictures? Yes), Nalbandian (Pictures? Yes) train. Maria was training like a dream. I didn't know she started off by throwing football like Bartoli does, so that was surprising. Henin, who is pretty well documented to train like a dream on court, was pretty off with some shots. Nadal and Garcia Lopez were practising together. Wow they were awesome. Every shot was extremely hard. So was Roddick vs Gasquet, they were both hitting nice shots, it was like a practice match, really. Roddick's serve were :eek::eek::eek:. It looked like normal on TV to me, but seeing it real life was just something else. Nalbandian was training with a hitting partner, and I thought he would cruise through Luczak, I was so wrong. :help:

Notable mention: Serena (after Venus' match in Voda) walking with many guards. She was going to train too, but me and my friend chose to walk back to Voda because it was too hot, then we saw Maria as well, and a trail of fanboy/girl following her.

Oh, and I saw Serena's, Na Li's racquets being restrung (and yes, I was odd enough to take pictures)

First up on Voda:

Venus vs Pin (Pictures? Yes):
Pin was troubling Venus alot, but Venus would come through, she was pretty off and struggling, but she got through and played some fantastic points, as did Pin. :) We saw Serena and Oracene there, and a bodyguard behind them. :p The last time I remembered Oracene was in Vodafone, there was this woman pestering her ALL THE TIME, so that was funny when she was ushered off by a bodyguard.

Hantuchova vs Cornet (Pictures? No):
Cornet lost her opportunities in the second set, pretty much the story of the match really. Hantuchova was choking in the second set, but Cornet was helping her too.

Djokovic vs Bolelli (Pictures? Yes):
Easy match for Djoko, nothing too troublesome as the score indicates.

Nalbandian vs Luczak (Pictures? No):
I can't believe Nalbandian lost the first set, because Luczak was aiming at his forehand. Me and my friend was guessing where Luczak would serve and everytime we guessed forehand, and voila. :o

We didn't really see much of the Vodafone matches because we were busy scouting around. I did see Janko though, playing doubles. (Pictures? Yes)

Oh and random vent: NEVER BUY TICKETS FOR FRIENDS WHO YOU THINK ARE COMING BECAUSE THEY CAN'T BE REFUNDED (well, you can upgrade ground pass to voda or rod laver, but never voda to rod laver, which sucked because I bought an extra ticket, and my friend told me he wouldn't go, so I wasted 50 bucks. And the sales counter would not refund for me. :help:)

Saturday Day 6 Morning:

So today was a rainy day, so nothing much was going on on the outside courts (:woohoo: in a bad way), and Voda and RLA tickets were obviously the hot tickets to get.

Radwanska vs Kuznetsova (Pictures? Yes):
It was a match that was rather interesting, because given Aga's reputation or upsets among tennis freaks like us, she should have been in RLA imo, and Chak vs Makiri should have been on Voda. Nevertheless, Sveta was playing godawful tennis. She was just not in form. She did truly beat herself. Oh funny note, you know how the ladies would go to the toilet to change, Sveta miraculously changed from her black top to her red top without going to the toilet, I think, because I was sitting at the player entrance and I didn't see her pass by us at all. :o

After the match, I asked Aga for her towel, but she said no, cause she was giving to her friends. ( eck 0 (:bigcry:), Aga's friend 1 (;))

And I saw Babsi Schett (Pictures? Yes), and boy did she look beautiful. Her smile is a million bucks.

Blake vs Grosjean (Pictures? Yes):

It should have been Grosjean's match after leading 4-1 in the fourth set and in the tiebreak, but typical for him to choke :help:
Blake was outplayed in sets 1 and 2, but he was never in doubt because Grosjean was getting noticably tight.

Ivanovic vs Srebotnik (Pictures? Yes):

I thought I saw a guy wearing cpu6ja t-shirt, but I was too coward to ask whether he was on WTAWorld. =P
Ivanovic played well, not too stellar, and Srebotnik was troubling her, but Ana pulled through, had some awesome serves and winners under pressure. And this was the time Janko was up 1 set vs Federer. The Serbian crowd was cheering during breaks when they saw the score.

I wanted to ask Ana for a towel, but this little kid got in my way :bigcry:
Then after her interview with Schett, someone asked for her headgear, she signed and then gave it to them. I was like "you fool, you could have asked her for her headgear!"

Djokovic vs Querrey (Pictures? Yes):

Never in doubt. Querrey to me is a pre-Jimmy Connors Andy Roddick, when his serve comes back with interest, everything else falls apart for Querrey. And against a player like Djoko, no way in the world Querrey would win. And this was when Janko was up 2 sets to 1 vs Fed, the crowd was really going crazy.

I wanted a towel, but I knew it was no chance because he put it in his bag, so I tried to ask for his racquet.... :o

There was Berdych vs Monaco after Djoko, but me and my friends decided to leave, we were walking to the outside of RLA, and it was so packed it was unbelievable. Everyone was looking at the big screen. That time it was in the 5th set.

I wanted to watch Ferrero vs Nalbandian, but rain played havoc.

Day 7 Morning:

Saw Jankovic (Pictures? Yes) train but it was close to raining, so took some pics and then left.

Ferrer vs Spadea (Pictures? Yes):
Boring match.

Henin vs Hsieh (Pictures? Yes):

The roof was no more, and Justine started off strong, then sucked. Then she won 9 games in a row, then sucked. She served some decent serves out wide on first serves, so I thought she would put that in her match vs Maria (:help:). Hsieh's backhand was on fire, but again, Justine was putting everything in the middle of the court, only at times playing some DTL or CC, which was so frustrating. Wanted to shake her.

Maria vs Elena (Pictures? Yes):

Elena started off promising, then it all went downhill. The second set was horrific by her standards. Maria was serving well, and it worked when she needed it the most.

Youzhny vs Davydenko (Pictures? Yes):
Youzhny was on fire, and Davydenko sucked, but Youzhny was suffering some choking though, no doubt. In the end the guy pulled through. I left during the second set.

Santoro/Gicquel vs Nieminen/Lindstedt (Pictures? Santoro, Gicquel, Nieminen Yes):

Left to watch this match, cause I wanted to see Santoro for the last time. But I wasn't really concentrating because I can see Nicole sucking bad to Serena on big screen behind the court.

Overall, it has been a pretty cool experience, until Justine lost (:tape:)
I'll try and put up pictures soon. :)

Other pictures: Nicole, Franny, Lisa, Tursunov.

Off tennis topic: On saturday, when it was drizzling, the frenchies decided to go play soccer on a practice court.

Williamsser
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the report.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Oh funny note, you know how the ladies would go to the toilet to change, Sveta miraculously changed from her black top to her red top without going to the toilet, I think, because I was sitting at the player entrance and I didn't see her pass by us at all. :o

LMFAO! I was there and I don't how she changed either. I repeatedly kept asking my friend but he didn't know either. Thanks for confirming that she didn't go to the toilet.

I wonder how she changed. She did it really quickly, that's for sure. :o

shibster
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
glad you've had fun! it's certainly very fun to just see lotsa players in a short span of just a few days, and it's just all tennis, and nothing but tennis, haha.

the way i see it, ao is much better than uso.

1)they let you practice in courts that are not barrier-ed up like a maximum security prison, where it's not even enough to not be able to go in, there is no visibility even. + for fan frenliness

2) they let you upgrade grounds pass to a "premium" tix. it's the same for both tourneys that tix are not refundable, but grounds pass can't get upgraded anyhoo, which means if you have one and you find out your fav is playing in a big stadium.....too bad.

3)tix prices. a uso grounds pass is already like 56 or so. and ashe can only be more like 70 or 80 easily.

4) seating. nothing beats ashe, in terms of a rush of blood to my head.

5) there is a sorta carnival spirit on the grounds where everybody look goofy and come out and play. i think USO is like.....US. everybody is a terrorist threat, LOL.

The only good thing about uso is that a grounds pass gets you into louis armstrong (which is like the vodafone i suppose)

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
LMFAO! I was there and I don't how she changed either. I repeatedly kept asking my friend but he didn't know either. Thanks for confirming that she didn't go to the toilet.

I wonder how she changed. She did it really quickly, that's for sure. :o

Yes :lol:

Where were you sitting?

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yes :lol:

Where were you sitting?

I must've been on the opposite side of the stadium as the players came out from the opposite side for me. :)

Sveta is so funny. :lol:

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand why US Open had to go all out with the practice courts. But I guess there's a plus in that, seeing as to how they all will come and go from the same gate. The practice grounds in AO is scattered. :help:

But I was still so pissed I couldn't sell off that bloody ticket. What a waste of money for me. And I felt ripped off that Vodafone had new tickets... until I heard about US Open. :p

And yes, I was complaining on how the GP tix were so expensive at 29 bucks. :p

Oh yes, there is a carnival spirit. I wanted to play Wii Tennis cause I know I can kick ass, but I couldn't be bothered queueing.

You used to be able to get into Voda with Ground Pass...until now. But I guess it's worth it, seeing as how the seats are now yours for the day.
glad you've had fun! it's certainly very fun to just see lotsa players in a short span of just a few days, and it's just all tennis, and nothing but tennis, haha.

the way i see it, ao is much better than uso.

1)they let you practice in courts that are not barrier-ed up like a maximum security prison, where it's not even enough to not be able to go in, there is no visibility even. + for fan frenliness

2) they let you upgrade grounds pass to a "premium" tix. it's the same for both tourneys that tix are not refundable, but grounds pass can't get upgraded anyhoo, which means if you have one and you find out your fav is playing in a big stadium.....too bad.

3)tix prices. a uso grounds pass is already like 56 or so. and ashe can only be more like 70 or 80 easily.

4) seating. nothing beats ashe, in terms of a rush of blood to my head.

5) there is a sorta carnival spirit on the grounds where everybody look goofy and come out and play. i think USO is like.....US. everybody is a terrorist threat, LOL.

The only good thing about uso is that a grounds pass gets you into louis armstrong (which is like the vodafone i suppose)

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I must've been on the opposite side of the stadium as the players came out from the opposite side for me. :)

Sveta is so funny. :lol:

Ah, were you in the court the entire day?
It was a pretty rough day.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Ah, were you in the court the entire day?
It was a pretty rough day.

No, we left after the Ivanovic/Srebotnik match because we had to go to dinner but came back for the Rod Laver night session.

HTE
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thx for the reports, sounds like a good time :)

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
No, we left after the Ivanovic/Srebotnik match because we had to go to dinner but came back for the Rod Laver night session.

Oh wow, must have sucked to wait that long.
Did you stay till the end of Hewitt's match?

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thx for the reports, sounds like a good time :)

Ta. For the most part, yes.

mariahdg
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I wanted a towel, but I knew it was no chance because he put it in his bag, so I tried to ask for his racquet.... :o

:lol: He has two brothers

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
:lol: He has two brothers

I at least thought I had some chance. :)