PDA

View Full Version : Maria's one handed BH slice

Sefo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Is this new, I can't seem to remember her doing it before?
It was at 2-0 in the 2nd set if I'm not mistaken, one of the finest shots in this match.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I didn't observe that woooooooooooow !!!

goldlion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
It's not new. She did it during the YEC as well, just not as fluent as the one she's having atm.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
She's added new shots to her game and this is one of them.

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Maria throws in a slice or 2 in most matches....tonight she used it as an attacking ploy which is good to see.

jamatthews
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
She's done it in plenty of matches. It's been quite effective some times as a surprise tactic, getting an error from her opponent.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
this is certainly new to me

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
vedio ?

calico_101
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
There'll never be a slice to match Graf's!

In The Zone
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think Maria is finally maturing. You'd see her using her left hand on the run but now I saw some slices ( which is better than a lobbing left hand ). As well, she is getting to the ball lower. Good for Maria. This is good for women's tennis. I hope more good tennis is to come.

hectopascal
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
OMG a one-handed backhand slice :shock horror: Sharapova has so much variety now! *end sarcasm*

It's not like it's a totally new shot for Maria, but she's improved a lot of aspects in her game and has more shots to choose from, but it's her precision on the hard groundstrokes that makes her a top player.

AcesHigh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Um.. is a one-handed backhand slice so hard?

Maria was on-fire.. but these little extra shots aren't what's making her win. It's her precise, penetrating groundstrokes and attacking power game.. the same strengths she's had for the last 4 years. She's just making improvements here and there and better shot selection..better precision and better serving & consistency.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
This is a shot I mentioned that she needed to put in her game to stay above the curve.
You cannot play a left handed defensive shot all the time when you can make things easier for you with a slice.

She's playing great defense for such a tall girl. She's serving well.
And if you also haven't noticed she is putting a lot of variety in her shot selection.
She put some spin on some shots, she flattened some, the slice is working and it's a wicked one, she's hitting true volleys, and coming to net with her swining volley whenever she sees the opportunity to.

I have to say she's the first player I ever seen who might drop in the rankings (because of Venus) whose shown such immense growth in her game.

Warrior
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
Good for her. It's about time she included this shot in her arsenal.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
She played amazing with Henin, it wasn't her usual tennis , it was very varient + great covering

go Masha

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Um.. is a one-handed backhand slice so hard?

It's not that easy to do a good slice. On the women's tour right now, probably 6 have a nice slice, Srebotnik, Ivanovic, Henin, Mauresmo, Kuzzie, and Schiavone.
The grip change (well Schynder doesn't change grips which is why her slice looks so awkward), the timing, and strength you have to use, all starts to add up.