PDA

View Full Version : End Of The Golden Slam

fightserena!!!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
As far as I can see, there's not a single player left in the draw with a hope of winning the golden slam this year. Serena and Justine are really the only people who, with a bit of luck, have what it takes, and they both had unlcuky off-days today to put an end to that dream. No way that Venus can take the french, Jelena welll...lol 'nuff said...Only maybe Sharapova if she keeps this form up, but that's not realistic for a whole year....so there goes that...Maybe Federer can do it...? Doubt it though..I think he won't win the Olympics but I reckon he'll get the French this year. Actually, I predicted Justine for FO 08, but I'm thinking Serena will take it now...

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I agree.

On the women's side, the draws are just so wide open.

Maria goes out and pummels Justine 4 and 0. Serena goes out and beats Sharapova twice last year, losing only five games. Justine goes ahead and beats Serena in three consecutive GS quarter finals. Maria doesn't like clay. Venus goes to Wimbledon, underprepared, ends up thrashing Maria and winning the title. Women's tennis is largely susceptible to changes in form, and Justine I believe was really the only one who has the versatility on all four surfaces to win the Golden Slam. And since she was thrashed by Maria, I don't think anyone can win the golden slam anymore.

That's the women's game for you, and that's what makes it so interesting to follow.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yup, you are correct.

Serena and Justine had a chance, but blew it today.

Maria could win all but the French. The same goes to Venus.

Jelena and Ana are still not good enough to win them all.

Don't get me started on Daniela and Aga :lol:

Ksenia.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
It all depends on the FO

Mikey.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Poor Justine! They were already planning for her not to play the week before wimbledon so she would be fresh, to ensure the win there. As well as winning the other 3 slams. I think she had already thought she had the AO in the bag and didn't expect to be tested to this extreme. I really really feel sorry for her. :sad:

Oh well Justine... maybe try for 2012, If your still around in tennis. :hug::)

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I really don't see Serena winning the French, I don't think she had a chance at all. She won all 4 of them 5 years ago. Tennis is different now with many players having caught up with her in power and athletiscm. She is still capable of winning slams, but would she have won the golden slam? No way.

Justine was the only one with a realistic chance but I still didn't see her winning Wimbledon anyway.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
what a headcase :smash:

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Federer will win it on the Federer & his little bitches tour.

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Id say Sharapova and Venus still both have chances still if they get a good FO draw....

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Venus has been to the finals of all four majors, and has two Olympic gold medals. Going into Melbourne her shot at the GS was as good as anyone else's (odds were against anyone doing this with such tough competition).

SF

Mikey.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Oh I forgot to add, that this ends Justine's streak in Semi-finals or higher as well. Poor Juju :hug: