PDA

View Full Version : Serena and Justine Post-Match Interviews

cometz9
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Serena Williams 22.01.08Tuesday, 22 January, 2008

http://www.australianopen.com/images/players/wta230234.jpg (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/bios/overview/wta230234.html)
Start of Transcribed Interview

Q. What are your comments on the singles?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I had time to think about it. I think that I went crazy, maybe, and I made a lot of mistakes. I didn't really play the game I wanted to play, yeah.

Q. You were quite listless in the first set there. Wasn't an injury or a problem with movement?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I was having some issues, but I don't like to make excuses. We won't discuss those.

Q. Any comments on the way she played?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, she played really solid.

Q. Did those issues extend to the doubles? Was there a bit of a problem all through the day?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, definitely all through the day. But it was ‑‑ it's, you know, nothing life threatening, so I'll be ‑‑ it's fine.

Q. How much do you think it restricted you in your singles match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I wasn't moving the way I wanted to and the way I was in the previous rounds, but I was ‑‑ and I wasn't able to serve the way I wanted to, so I think maybe that could have affected my serve, at least. But I think Jelena played some good tennis and she hung in there.

Q. It seemed like even when you were trying hard in the second set to get things going you just couldn't find your rhythm.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely couldn't find any rhythm out there. I felt like my shots were spraying and everything like that.
It just ‑‑ I was just kind of all over the place, and out there for sure.

Q. Was playing doubles therapeutic after that, or would you just rather just have gone back and rested?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I definitely enjoyed playing doubles, because, you know, believe it or not, I got to work on some things that I didn't feel that I did well in my singles.
So I actually did a little better in my doubles. That's definitely taken a positive.

Q. Looked like during the doubles you were sort of grabbing your leg up here. Is it the knee again?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, my knee is fine. My knee is great, thank God.

Q. She went into it saying she wanted you to move from side to side. Did that make it difficult for you? Was that a good tactic of hers?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think everyone wants to move anyone they play. I think that's a good tactic against anybody. If I were playing anyone that would be a pretty much be my tactic.

Q. You've been in some tough physical situations before, tough mental situations before. She failed hold to serve out the match. You come out and it looked like you had a good opportunity to get back to 5‑5. You couldn't get it together. What wasn't really happening today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely didn't have the right shot selection. I felt like some shots I made weren't the correct selection, and I didn't go after some shots I thought I should have went after. Then I just made some errors that I shouldn't make, and I have no reason to make those errors.
So I think that's what it boiled down to. I feel like I had plenty of opportunities, and I didn't ‑‑ I just made too many errors.

Q. You were treated for a blister during the match, right?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah.

Q. Was that a factor during the match or not?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, it wasn't a factor.

Q. What about the sun, Serena? We don't see you in a cap too often down here. Was that a problem?
SERENA WILLIAMS: On the one side the sun was ‑‑ it was hard to serve on that side, but there's no ‑‑ that's not a reason to lose at all.

Q. Last year people didn't expect too much of you. When you came here this year everybody expected a lot of you. Did that make a difference? You've been in a lot of pressure situations, but was it a lot different walking in here with those expectations this year than last?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Actually, no, I didn't feel any pressure myself. Only pressure traditionally I feel is the pressure I put on myself. I didn't really put any pressure on me. I felt like I was going to do better than this, but I guess, you know, I was wrong. Can't always be right.

Q. Given that you felt that way, what are your feelings now? How disappointed are you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I'm obviously extremely disappointed. I'm one that enjoys the battles, and I enjoy the victories as well. But I'm definitely, you know, not really happy right now, especially not with my performance.
If I had a different performance and I gave it ‑‑ I felt like I did better, then I would feel a little better about it.

Q. Whatever was affecting you physically, did you start to feel that more after the first couple days of the first set? Because it seemed like you lost some energy there after those first couple of games.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, definitely. You know, I was definitely feeling it, I would say throughout the whole match from the first game.

Q. When did it come up for you as an issue, the injury?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, it's not really an issue. I just think I'm not going to sit here and make excuses. I lost because Jelena played better than me and I made too many errors. I think regardless, the match was on my racquet, and I gave it away.

Q. That's still no real clear explanation. You played pretty well against Vaidisova, but it didn't seem like you were trusting any of your shots today.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, no, no, I just think that I made a lot of errors today. I mean, I didn't ‑‑ like my shots just weren't right. I didn't move the way I traditionally want to move, and I wasn't feeling 100 percent. But as an athlete you know not every day you're going to feel 100 percent, and some days you have to win feeling 30 percent.

Q. You mentioned before that you felt you had done a bit better in the doubles. What exactly did you feel you had done better in the doubles?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I felt like my returns were better in doubles, and I felt like in my singles I didn't return the way I wanted to. That's probably it.

Q. You recently said you're a happy person with a smile on your face. How easy is it to put that smile back on your face after a day like today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it's hard, I guess. I mean, me being the person I am, I'm pretty much a perfectionist. If things don't go right then I have problems with that. It's not the end of the world.
That's a tournament I'm going to be in in a couple of weeks. I'm just going to go home and keep working out and staying fit.

Q. You're not staying for the Police concert?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I don't deserve it. I didn't ‑‑ no, I didn't ‑‑ and I definitely don't deserve the celebrity upgrade. If so, I'll pay for the tickets.

Q. It's been like six, seven years since you were in four Slams and failed to pass the quarterfinal. What do you think about the year moving forward? Just talk about your general state of mind.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I think there's good things coming forward. You know, just taking it one day at a time and trying and let this go behind me and just go back and keep training.
You know, it's just ‑‑ I definitely see ‑‑ I've come a long way from last year, and I just keep going forward.

Q. Did that injury get you out of a lot of tournaments last year? Can we expect to see you on the tour a bit more this year?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely expect to be on the tour. I look forward to it and to being in a lot of events.

Q. Can you talk about Venus' chances? She's been playing pretty well, and she's never won here. She's in a good side of the draw and looks like she has a good opportunity moving forward too.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely hope the best for her and I want her to go all the way. I think she's the best player, toughest competition for me. Whenever I play her, she's playing so solid. I think she'll do really well.

Justine Henin 22.01.08Tuesday, 22 January, 2008

http://www.australianopen.com/images/players/wta080350.jpg (http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/bios/overview/wta080350.html)
Start of Transcribed Interview

Q. She played pretty well, didn't she?
JUSTINE HENIN: Yeah, she did, for sure. No, she did her match. She played very high level of tennis. I have to agree with that.
So she started the match much better than me. I came back, but I wasn't good enough. She just did everything better than me today. And she served consistent and she's been much more aggressive and looked like it was her day and probably her tournament, so she ‑‑ she's in great shape.

Q. You didn't seem to be on your game tonight. We've all seen you play a lot better.
JUSTINE HENIN: Yeah, I think that I have no excuse. You know, she won the match. She's been the best. I can tell I wasn't at my best level, and that's for sure. But the story is she won the match, and I'm going back home now. So it's kind of a disappointment for sure.
It's very hard to be at your best level all the time, and I'll have to think about that and build again for the future.

Q. Any one aspect of your game that didn't work for you, that you were disappointed with?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I think that I haven't been aggressive enough. I haven't taken the opportunities. And, yeah, it's kind of the day that happens sometimes. She did put on me a lot of pressure. I knew I had to play my best level, and I wasn't today. So that's tough to accept, but you have to.

Q. How did you feel coming into the match? Were you at all anxious going in?
JUSTINE HENIN: I was a bit anxious. Physically, I was really concerned about my knee for a few days. So I was a bit anxious, because I knew I wasn't really 100 percent. Even if it's not an excuse about what happened on the court, because she was much better than me.
I knew she was in top form and I knew it was going to be tough, so I was ready to fight and give my best, but it wasn't good enough.

Q. Do you know what's wrong with your knee?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, it's ‑‑ it's old problem. It's just my knee is getting old, and, yeah, probably have to rest a little bit now.

Q. Has her game gotten a lot more varied in the last year or so, would you say?
JUSTINE HENIN: She worked hard, I think, in the off‑season. Apparently her shoulder is good now, so it gives her a lot of self‑confidence. She serves great. She did everything well today. She was playing the lines. She was really aggressive. She was attacking the ball, and I was way too far.
She, I think, improved quite a lot in the last few weeks and came back much better than she was last year.

Q. Do you think she'll win it from here?
JUSTINE HENIN: I think so, but a lot of things can happen. She looks like she's the player who is really confident now, and she has a great chance to do it, I think.

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
:lol:

Further evidence that Serena is a much smarter player than Justine.

Q. She went into it saying she wanted you to move from side to side. Did that make it difficult for you? Was that a good tactic of hers?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think everyone wants to move anyone they play. I think that's a good tactic against anybody. If I were playing anyone that would be a pretty much be my tactic.

But Serena :hug:

Justine :hug:

Come back strong, please.

scoobsuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Both pretty gracious in defeat, I thought.

Good to see.

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Serena is classy as hell. She's learned lessons from last year. Great to see it, I mean for the haters cause I don't mind an arrogant Serena :o

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Nice interviews

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Serena is classy for once:lol:.

Oh wait

I think she's the best player, toughest competition for me

she's still in denial

Zweli
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, great interviews

Kipling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Henin is very classy. Kudos to her for recognizing that Sharapova's off year in '07 was from injuries. Henin is a great, great player, and as admirable off the court for her humbleness and honesty.

pka_liloo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Q. You've been in some tough physical situations before, tough mental situations before. She failed hold to serve out the match. You come out and it looked like you had a good opportunity to get back to 5‑5. You couldn't get it together. What wasn't really happening today?

loved the question :lol:

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM

Oh wait

she's still in denial
Took only 5 post b4 a hater asshole came into the thread.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Good interviews. Serena seems to have learnt a lot from last year and even though she lost, throughout the whole month she has handled herself very professionally. She will never be my favorite player, nor for that matter will Henin, but she has gained a substantial amount of respect from me in the last few weeks. Henin, too showed a lot of dignity in defeat.

MagicMilan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nice interviews by both girls :)

justine schnyder
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Henin is very classy. Kudos to her for recognizing that Sharapova's off year in '07 was from injuries. Henin is a great, great player, and as admirable off the court for her humbleness and honesty.

:worship:

Ju :hug: :hug:

vejh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Henin: That's my girl:)

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM

loved the question :lol:
cheo23 asking the questions? :lol:

Calypso
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Nice interviews!

pka_liloo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
cheo23 asking the questions? :lol:

probably :lol:

Lucemferre
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Is that class? Henin made every possible excuse but gave credit to Maria so she's classy? :o:o:o

Martian KC
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is that class? Henin made every possible excuse but gave credit to Maria so she's classy? :o:o:o

How is she making every possibl3e excuse? She said Maria did everything better than her today.

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
nice interview for both girls
shame serena is out:)

Donatello
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
I read this thing in like 3 seconds.

I was just browsing to find a "She was ..." somewhere.

All I read was "I ... this." I ... that" I ... blah" "I ... etc".

If you stay blind for the facts, you wont improve the things you dont see Serena. damn, wastes so much talent it hurts.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
both gracious and extremely classy in defeat. i am proud.

and here's hoping to ana's first GS title!

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't buy this now injury crap from Serena. It's either an injury or the yips. You don't start lost 10-15 mph on your 1st serve and 15-20 mph on your 2nd serve out of the blue. That makes no sense. She didn't even mention her horrible serving. I mean a DF at deuce while serving to stay in the match. I can't remember the last time Serena DF on a crucial point. If it's not an injury Serena has some form of the yips. Probably caught it from Maria :fiery:

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
She played bad. She did not need to pontificate about it.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
She didn't say she didn't have one, just wasn't going to talk about them - because she knows the journalists will tear her apart if she does.

Why was Henin's interview so short? Did journalists get bored?

thiskidhasit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Serena made that many errors? I thought she hit a lot of winners, too. She uses that excuse EVERY single time she loses. I've seen Serena make more errors and beat even greater players than Jankovic. She just got outplayed.

Dodoboy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
quite subtle! like it¬

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Nice interviews by both girls :)

They really are.
It looks like both are going back to the drawing board and I think that's very mature.

dya74
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
nice words from both of them. justine :hug:

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
She didn't say she didn't have one, just wasn't going to talk about them - because she knows the journalists will tear her apart if she does.

Why was Henin's interview so short? Did journalists get bored?

that makes sense. But I kinda want to know what it is if it isn't the knee. The knee is the most obvious choice because that would directly affect her serve. It has to be something that affects her serve so maybe her shoulder, or legs or back..lol too many to guess.

Craigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM

Oh wait

she's still in denial

Oh wise up, seriously.
She's talking about her sister, she's hardly gonna say "Oh uhm yeah she's not that good really."

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM

If you stay blind for the facts, you wont improve the things you dont see Serena. damn, wastes so much talent it hurts.

how do you want her to reply when they were asking her about herself?? :rolleyes: seriously now..is it beyond you to think logically just once??

Q: serena how would you rate how you played today?
Serena: well she played great and she's a great player and she...

is that how she should answer to sound classy and gracious?? and yet stupid cause she's avoiding what she's being asked...damn :o

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM

proof of why sparknotes can get you in trouble in school..

Anyways i was very shocked Serena didnt take the bait from the journalist.... maybe Venus gave her some tips....

Why was Justines so short?:confused: I feel like the #1 player gets bageled you'd think the interviewers would ask more than 3 questions....

Nicolás89
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM

:spit: We all know what journalist did that question.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
that makes sense. But I kinda want to know what it is if it isn't the knee. The knee is the most obvious choice because that would directly affect her serve. It has to be something that affects her serve so maybe her shoulder, or legs or back..lol too many to guess.

:) I don't think it matters anymore. I doubt it was her knee, only because she was running down some balls, and running forward well - which isn't typical if someone has any knee trouble. Either way It appears to be a minor injury, so its likely that she'll get it dealt with and will be able to play well again soon.

Tamus
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM

Well, pretty much all the interviewers were asking was "you...you...you...", so naturally, she's going to respond "I...I...I..."

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Well, pretty much all the interviewers were asking was "you...you...you...", so naturally, she's going to respond "I...I...I..."

common sense does prevail!! :worship:

serenafann
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Good interview by Serena,I am glad she gave Jelena so much credit.

serenus_2k8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Never mind girls, your both great champs no matter what :hug:

Donatello
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
how do you want her to reply when they were asking her about herself?? :rolleyes: seriously now..is it beyond you to think logically just once??

Q: serena how would you rate how you played today?
Serena: well she played great and she's a great player and she...

is that how she should answer to sound classy and gracious?? and yet stupid cause she's avoiding what she's being asked...damn :o

I just wished she'd at least drop some analysis of the match. But then again whatever, hope she continues to tour and play smaller tournaments as well to garner some more match patience so to say.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan and I'm still proud she has been able to change some parts of her attitude and her game in such a short period of time. I wish I could do the same. :worship:

veryempty
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Nicole was one of the reasons, I think.... it's hard to accumulate new energy after beating charismatic player like Nicole, that soon.... and on the other side, JJ went mentally on the court with idea - I have nothing to lose so lets dance...... and she showed once again, how amazing her game may be....

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
i think justine probably was not in the chattiest of moods after a comprehensive. She summed it up simply and sweetly so to speak. Also the press doesn't tend to focus on Justine because she is not a player who is known for giving you juicy quotes.

ViennaCalling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Classy interview from Henin :yeah:

keirana332
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Classy interviews from both girls, refusing to find any excuses to blame from their loss. Nice to see :)

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM

Lol exactly, some people just need to use there common sense :rolleyes:

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
2 great interviews from two great champions.

PatrickRyan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Very Classy from both :yeah: