PDA

View Full Version : After today's match, anybody who calls Sharapova...

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
a "brainless ball basher" should be shot.

She was hitting the ball hard, yes, but it was the placement of her shots that today
that enabled her to keep Henin on the back foot and off balance, preventing her from
counter punching effectively.
Contrary to popular WTA opinion, she wasn't trying to hit every ball as hard as she could possibly.
She used some really good angles today.
She also was wise enough to come up the court after good shots to take advantage of weak replies from Henin.

I like this quote from the match thread.

After her previous performances here, I expected Maria to win, but the way she did it is amazing! And Henin wasn't playing bad tennis at all! She wasn't at her best, but still decent.

I'm not a big Maria fan (can't stand grunting :) ), but i raise my hat to her. She showed us the essence of the modern tennis. Strong, fast, attacking AND clever. Beautiful. Congratulations, Masha!

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Sharapova can beat anybody and nobody can beat Sharapova provided Sharapova controls her unforced errors like what she did today.

ViennaCalling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
That´s right. She mixed it up pretty well today.

scoobsuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a big admirer of the variety and control Sharapova demonstrated today and I hope to see more of it. It shows what she CAN do.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Sharapova is not 1.0 anymore. She's now the newly improved 2.0 version.

The others will also have to go 2.0 if they want to beat her. Ok... maybe Justine or Serena needs to be 3.0...

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
a "brainless ball basher" should be shot.

She was hitting the ball hard, yes, but it was the placement of her shots that today
that enabled her to keep Henin on the back foot and off balance, preventing her from
counter punching effectively.
Contrary to popular WTA opinion, she wasn't trying to hit every ball as hard as she could possibly.
She used some really good angles today.
She also was wise enough to come up the court after good shots to take advantage of weak replies from Henin.

I like this quote from the match thread.

The other thing you didn't mention is that her movement was superb.

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM

You're right. That's an important point.:cool:

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Her movement was very superb and her variety definitely improved 70%, using slice approach shots, well-executed drop shots, opened up the court well with her mixed placement of serve = sharapova re-invented herself. Thus, she deserves to be at the top of women's tennis

Avid Merrion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
shooting is a bit extreme, don't you think? ;)

Kipling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Did Bijoux and Doni go on vacation together today?

I miss their charming insights on Maria's abilities.

:angel:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Did Bijoux and Doni go on vacation together today?

I miss their charming insights on Maria's abilities.

:angel:

They just took a one way ticket to the moon to escape all the laughter against them :lol:

Bingain
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think there are a few things that make her outstanding in AO so far:

Aggressiveness - I've yet to see her back off in any shot yet.
Determination - You can see flames in her eyes. Whilst this happen rather often, it's a contrast to many players you see here.
Movement - Huge improvement.
Fitness - This improves her movement as well. It's a little disgusting to see all the tummies on these girls after a short winter break. Most everyone's got a tummy, some have even grown a size or two. Even Hennin's got a small tummy. Masha's among the rarity who's maintained a flat stomach. It's a little amazing to me as I've had the impression she's a big party girl (she may still be, but apparently works very hard after the parties.)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
she was perfect , she did every thing ,
her movement was great + her hight = she covered all the land ,

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
It's great to hear all you guys saying this and it's true Maria played some beautiful tennis today and I am proud to be her fan :)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I think there are a few things that make her outstanding in AO so far:

Aggressiveness - I've yet to see her back off in any shot yet.
Determination - You can see flames in her eyes. Whilst this happen rather often, it's a contrast to many players you see here.Movement - Huge improvement.
Fitness - This improves her movement as well. It's a little disgusting to see all the tummies on these girls after a short winter break. Most everyone's got a tummy, some have even grown a size or two. Even Hennin's got a small tummy. Masha's among the rarity who's maintained a flat stomach. It's a little amazing to me as I've had the impression she's a big party girl (she may still be, but apparently works very hard after the parties.)

exactly ,

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Fellow Maria fans going crazy on the lovefest. Our girl still has 2 matches to win. Let's not crown her yet. Hope she keeps it up though, love her form.

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Maria Sharapova is a brainless ball basher. She got of some good shots but she has no plan B and only bashes the ball.

frenchie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Oh please!

1 match doesn't mean she's playing like that all the time
She's still a brainless ballbasher and will always be

Ben.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
what nearly everybody is saying on here is true, I mean she mixed it up well with marvellous angles & placement on her shots. shows that she is only gonna get better & better.

Ben.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh please!

she came into the net quite a bit with some conventional volleys against lena d & she also used some amazing angles against lindsay so that proves that she isn't a brainless ballbasher & only a one off controlled player.

but you are entitled to your own opinion of course :)

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Oh please!

She's version 2.0 now. Your fave is still stuck at 1.0.

frenchie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
She's version 2.0 now. Your fave is still stuck at 1.0.

Well my fave is pregnant and has a 3-2 head to head lead against your fave including a 6/1-6/2 beatdown;)

Sefo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Maria is approaching Serena's age of 21, when she was at her peak dominance in 2002.
Justine always have some trouble staying calm during Maria matches. She seemed lost, just like in the USO '06 final.
But I can see Justine winning more Maria matches.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Well my fave is pregnant and has a 3-2 head to head lead against your fave including a 6/1-6/2 beatdown;)

That was 4 years ago, when Sharapova was still 1.0.

Four years later and she has evolved. Sadly to say though, yours haven't.

Calypso
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Today was just a stunningly executed well rounded performance from Maria.
I wonder why she doesn't use this variety more often, its far more lethal than 'brainless ball bashing'!

Andy T
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
In all areas - mental, physical and technical - she played a very good match and deserves a lot of respect for this win. She's playing better than anyone else so far in this tournament and if she continues to play like that in the next two rounds, she'll take the title.

goldlion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
This is certainly one of Maria's greatest win in her career, just stunning.

Justine's certainly a lot ahead of the girls on tour and Maria's the only player to stop her from continuously winning.

Although Justine has the variety in her game, it only depends if she can execute them in the match.

Today, Maria proved that she was the better player.

She played clever tennis and should be given credits for her precise preparartion.

sorceress
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Awesome,now if only she could shut up!

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh please!

You're perfectly right - she just magically learnt to play like that between
her last match and this one.:rolleyes:

Peterk07
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
You're perfectly right - she just magically learnt to play like that between
her last match and this one.:rolleyes:

I'd say Maria played near her perfection today. And she was smart today. But I wouldn't go any further.

Clever players can change their gameplan during the match, can adapt their tactics to the opponent's tactics, etc. Maria didn't have to do any of this, because she was in her peak form, and everything went well. But she won't play always this well. I'm courious to see, what will happen, if her primary gameplan (serve fast, hit hard) won't work. Will she able to change her game or will she keep playing from the same book?

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Her form and movement have been incredible. I wonder how long she can keep it up.

Her first run at Wimbledon was part of an awesome run, rise to #1, and I forgot how many titles but it was a bunch.

Her run of excellence in '06 was much briefer. It will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of a new reign or just an amazing run at one Slam.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM

Umm...she didn't need to move.

Her footwork was superb. Her movement? That's still her biggest weakness. Fortunately, she was getting such cuts at the ball that she didn't even need to move.

SF

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
yes maria
yes
love her with all my heart

Serge007
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Clever players can change their gameplan during the match
What is the "clever players"? Who? Mauresmo, Chakvetadze, Kuznetsova, Petrova? Serena Williams? Or Radwanska, Ivanovic?

frenchie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Being smart on court is not something a player can learn!

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
What is the "clever players"? Who? Mauresmo, Chakvetadze, Kuznetsova, Petrova? Serena Williams? Or Radwanska, Ivanovic?

:worship::worship:
That is a good question.:)

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
hmm, she has certainly improved over the off season in her net game and her movement. But it is still clear she is not a natural volleyer and she did actually miss a couple of awful volleys against Henin. But I agree she has added to her game.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sharapova can beat anybody and nobody can beat Sharapova provided Sharapova controls her unforced errors like what she did today.

:spit:

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Her footwork was superb. Her movement? That's still her biggest weakness. Fortunately, she was getting such cuts at the ball that she didn't even need to move.

SF

Footwork is part of movement.
And she did need to move - she won a couple of decisive points after being run around a bit, and even
a couple (at least) of the ones she lost, she seemed to me to stay in them longer than she would have done maybe last year. All it takes is even a slight improvement sometimes to determine who wins some
of those big points.

Of course, her movement is always going to be her biggest weakness. My point is that's not her
fault and in no way makes her a "brainless" tennis player.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I undertsand all this Maria Hype, but you guys can't have watched that match and come to the conclusion Henin was simply over powered. I mean seriously...

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

SF

Exactly. Henin was playing mother at times just feeding balls into Maria's hitting zone. She could have done better than that.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Some people didn't watch the match , cause after today if someone still says this word , yes , should be shot directly on his brain

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Nice performance from Sharapova.
Now I feel better about Lindsay's lost in the second round ( bad draw).

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I undertsand all this Maria Hype, but you guys can't have watched that match and come to the conclusion Henin was simply over powered. I mean seriously...

It's not Hype at all , she played AMAZING .

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I agree. I have changed my opinion of her now. Sure, at times she can just hit but thats whats she is taught to do. She is a great player and true fighter.

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM

I'm not trying to hype Maria. I'm not even really her fan.

But I just absolutely HATE that term "brainless ball basher" - it's so derogatory
and implies that just because Maria (and a lot of other players) hits the ball hard,
she doesn't think on court.

And this match seems to one of the best examples that she does think on court.

I saw the match -
Trust me, even though Maria was in the zone and making very few errors, even though Henin was over powered, Henin didn't play bad at all and that match was still very close.
All it would have taken is a few wrongly placed shots by sharapova, a few well read serves by
Henin, and the outcome could have been very different.
Even the commentators kept saying that she was playing a very tactically sound match out there.

And logically speaking, you can't assume that her tactical awareness today was just a one off.

The conclusion...Maria does think on court and so shouldn't be labelled as being "brainless" or
someone whose only game plan is to "serve fast and hit hard". :shrug:

Tamus
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Maria has been adding variety to her game for quite some time now; yesterday we saw a culmination of all this work. This is partly because Maria had to hit a lot of extra shots because of Henin's defense. Shots that would be winners against a lot of other players are sent back by Justine. Thus, Maria simply can't overpower Justine to win the match.

But the bottom line is Maria's game has never simply been about raw power. She doesn't have a strinkingly fast serve when compared to some other girls and her groundstrokes aren't hit that hard (no matter how hard she screams.) Shot placement has always been the key to her game, contrary to popular belief.

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Maria has been adding variety to her game for quite some time now; yesterday we saw a culmination of all this work. This is partly because Maria had to hit a lot of extra shots because of Henin's defense. Shots that would be winners against a lot of other players are sent back by Justine. Thus, Maria simply can't overpower Justine to win the match.

But the bottom line is Maria's game has never simply been about raw power. She doesn't have a strinkingly fast serve when compared to some other girls and her groundstrokes aren't hit that hard (no matter how hard she screams.) Shot placement has always been the key to her game, contrary to popular belief.

Completely agree. Well said.:worship::worship:

frenchie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I agree. I have changed my opinion of her now. Sure, at times she can just hit but thats whats she is taught to do. She is a great player and true fighter.

:eek:
You left us for the dark side of the moon:sad:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
why any one who are calling her that should be shot ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemRwtjm7Q4

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Guys, she played great. But those who seem to think her movement was the best thing since sliced bread are hallucinating. She was sharp, on point, aggressive, and anticipated well. But...she was not Flo Jo out there.

SF

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Her movement improved A LOT and no one said it's the best , but it's one of the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemRwtjm7Q4

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Actually, her movement didn't look any different to me. It was the other parts of her game that were better. The vast improvements in other areas compensated for her lack of movement. At least, that's my opinion.

SF

Direwolf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
well..
one of the best??

justine was hitting her shots in the middle
of the court?.!!

had she moved maria more...
like what Serena did last year...

Well..
Sharapova improved her serve from last year...
she was just the same..
but her consistency in hitting the ball
increased from her game in hk..

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I definitely agree that Justine should have tried to move Maria more. Hitting the balls to the center of the court was incredibly stupid. She even served to the center of the court almost exclusively. Stupid. I still think Maria would have won, because she was dictating. In defense of Justine, and giving credit to Maria, it wasn't easy for Justine to even hit the ball back, much less aim it. But, she did not have to move much and that really helped her to a dominating performance.

Definitely a fun match. I just don't think Maria was moving as well as everyone else does. Again, she didn't need to.

That is an area of her game that Jankovic, and/or her final opponent needs to try and exploit...because everything else is spot on.

SF

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'd say Maria played near her perfection today. And she was smart today. But I wouldn't go any further.

Clever players can change their gameplan during the match, can adapt their tactics to the opponent's tactics, etc. Maria didn't have to do any of this, because she was in her peak form, and everything went well. But she won't play always this well. I'm courious to see, what will happen, if her primary gameplan (serve fast, hit hard) won't work. Will she able to change her game or will she keep playing from the same book?

hmm objective and true....it remains to be seen if this same game plan can be implemented when plan A doesn't work...it's one thing to have confidence in it while your whole game is coming together but it's another thing to do it when your original plan is failing...i guess we shall see later this year or maybe sooner if she doesn't have the same level against jj or venus/ana...

and actually in this match it was jh who was the brainless ballbasher :lol: isn't that a coincidence LOL she tried to hit maria off the court which played even more into maria's hands lol

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
well..
one of the best??

justine was hitting her shots in the middle
of the court?.!!

had she moved maria more...
like what Serena did last year...

Well..
Sharapova improved her serve from last year...
she was just the same..
but her consistency in hitting the ball
increased from her game in hk..

about hitting the ball on the middle of the court , it has to be something related to the new surface , also Federer is doing that , I don't understand it cause I don't play tennis but this surface is not good for players like Henin and Federer ,

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Actually, her movement didn't look any different to me. It was the other parts of her game that were better. The vast improvements in other areas compensated for her lack of movement. At least, that's my opinion.

SF

hmm true as well...i dunno who the hell told jh to hit to the centre of the court :o silliest game plan ever lol...just allow maria to tee off on her shots and hope she misses? lol her outstanding groundstrokes meant she had little to do on the movement end...but we shall see against jj

HitmanX
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Maria today was a tactical genius as described by the bbc commentator

Princeza
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM

No way :speakles:

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Maria today was a tactical genius as described by the bbc commentator

I can see why a moron would think she was a tactical genius. Maria played a great match, but she did not need to use tactics to win this match. It was clear from the beginning that Maria merely had to play her game, and play it well, to beat Justine. She played her game, and she played it well.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me if I'm missing something, but I didn't see Maria turn into Hingis out there did I?

SF

serenafann
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Sharapova deserves credit what I saw was a well played and thought out match from her.

harloo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
She played well and deserved to advance. But remember EVERY player can be beaten, and trust me Maria will get beaten again.:)

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I can see why a moron would think she was a tactical genius. Maria played a great match, but she did not need to use tactics to win this match. It was clear from the beginning that Maria merely had to play her game, and play it well, to beat Justine. She played her game, and she played it well.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me if I'm missing something, but I didn't see Maria turn into Hingis out there did I?

SF

So Maria had to play her game? But I thought her game wasn't coming to net, using volleys, using slices, and mixing up her pace? Don't tell people to STFU when you have absolutely no earthly clue what you are talking about. Did you Tivo the match? Go watch it again please, then maybe you will come back with some sort of analysis of the actual match because you were obviously in la la land with Clifford the Big Red Dog during this 330AM beat down!

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
So Maria had to play her game? But I thought her game wasn't coming to net, using volleys, using slices, and mixing up her pace? Don't tell people to STFU when you have absolutely no earthly clue what you are talking about. Did you Tivo the match? Go watch it again please, then maybe you will come back with some sort of analysis of the actual match because you were obviously in la la land with Clifford the Big Red Dog during this 330AM beat down!

Don't take my hate of your hysterical rants as a hate of Sharapova. Some of us (who aren't blinded fanboys) have been aware for a long time that Maria is capable of hitting slices and mixing pace. As far as coming to net, she came to net on short balls, which is smart. As opposed to coming to net when she doesn't get a short ball, which is stupid. Last year she tried the latter a little too much. I saw her hit one sliced spinning approach shot in the entire match. While beautiful, and not her usual tactic, it was not something that happened more than once in the match. Her volleys were the usual swinging volleys she's always hits well. It's not like she turned into Pat Rafter at net or anything.

Again, Maria played her game in a focused, well executed manner. Brilliant tactics were unnecessary, and not present. She didn't need them.

SF

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
:eek:
You left us for the dark side of the moon:sad:

No way :speakles:

Way.

I have never really disliked her too much, my biggest concern was the Fed Cup last year etc. I should give a chance to Maria, she is scheduled to play against Israel and hopefully she can fight for her country. :)

Tamus
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I stated in another thread that too many people confuse variety for talent/ability. It also seems that too many people confuse variety for intelligence. The purpose is to win the match, no matter how you go about accomplishing that. For some players that involves using a variety of shots, and for others it involves using a select number of good shots. Why should one way of winning be smarter than another way?

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Way.

I have never really disliked her too much, my biggest concern was the Fed Cup last year etc. I should give a chance to Maria, she is scheduled to play against Israel and hopefully she can fight for her country. :)

She sais sure I will and it's officially scheduled on her official site ,
BTW Demska , your credits are so high suddenly
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/7/smile%20(9).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)