PDA

View Full Version : Let's not get overexcited, Maria fans.

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Maria played an AWESOME match against Justine, exploiting Justine's topspun shots and doing very well to hit winners from left right and centre. Ended up with 30 winners, 21 unforced errors. Justine however, got only 11 winners and 21 unforced errors. Nice serving from Maria also - pushed Henin way back. It's safe to say that Maria has now repleced Serena/Justine as the favourite.

But with that said, let's not forget that in tennis, they go as quickly as they come. We must not forget that Maria still has to play Jankovic, who is probably relieved that she won't be playing Justine. So Jankovic probably thinks that she has a decent shot against Maria, especially since she won their last encounter in Birmingham. Serena was the in-form player of the tournament along with Maria, so Jelena did really well to beat her. Then, if Maria gets through Jelena, I'm probably thinking a Maria/Venus match, and boy will that be ugly. Maria hasn't done very well against venus of late, and will need to maintain the same level of play against her in order to win.

Form slips up a lot in tennis - just ask Serena. It's hard to see Maria playing that well again - maybe a notch below or two, because honestly that was lights out tennis. She's got a great chance at the title - and she's probably my pick - but let's not forget that there's a whole lot of tennis she has to go through to win the tournament.

Discuss. Some people are acting as if she's won the tournament, but if she doesn't, then her win against Justine will just be a "flash in the pan" on an exceptional day for Maria. It's just so easy to put this win against Justine out of context: in reality, she has some very tough matches to come. Let's go Maria. If you win, Serena will be fuming.

Dorcas Monjimbo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Absolutely right. I agree with all what you've written.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Everyone in the world, except Maria and Jelena fans, predicted Justine and Serena will meet in the semis.

So I am not surprised they see their faves win as the "title-clinching" match.

cypher_88
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
this is getting ridiculous. Serena fans have been blind this tournament. Serena was not playing great, she was playing normal, hence why she lost. She was not spectacular.

that being said, i do agree that Maria has a tough match ahead.

franny
I too agree. We need to stay humble and just cheer for our girl as best as we can. She is the favorite along with Venus, but it is by no means a shoo-in.

faboozadoo15
Bottom line: She's only in the semis.
The two most important matches are yet to come.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Maria will win ao 2008. No doubt about that now.

tennisbear7
Everyone in the world, except Maria and Jelena fans, predicted Justine and Serena will meet in the semis.

So I am not surprised they see their faves win as the "title-clinching" match.

That's just pure delusion then.

The title-clinching match will be on that Saturday afternoon if Maria hits that winner on match point. Remember when Pierce fans got overexcited when she absolutely smothered Graf 62 62 at the French Open? People were saying that she would win RG that year, but she lost to ASV (who does resemble Jankovic's playing style somewhat).

SharapovaFan16
I agree we need to not start threads like this as Maria fans. She won, be happy, get ready for the next match. End of story.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I would love to see Sharapova vs Venus

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Must be pretty good being a Maria/Jelena fan, Sharapovafan16.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I too agree. We need to stay humble and just cheer for our girl as best as we can. She is the favorite along with Venus, but it is by no means a shoo-in.

How is Venus in anywhere near the same breath as Maria? Maria has beaten the current number one, a former no. 1 and three time slam titleist, and a former top five player and two time slam finalist--all while dropping a grand total of ten games, handing out two bagels in the process. Venus went to a tiebreak against Sania Mirza. I'm not even convinced Venus will get past Ivanovic. I think Venus has more of a chance than some Sharapova fans are saying (she still worries me a lot,) but she is in no way the co favorite.

nozaroc
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Who's going crazy? She just won less than an hour ago, in spectacular fashion. Give people some time to cheer. She definitely does have tough matches, but Jelena isn't one of them, IMO. Jelena has been playing sub par, and unless she lights it up, and Maria implodes with errors galore, I don't see that being the problem.

As far as Serena, she was playing in a funk all throughout the tournament, good enough to win, but not dominating. Kinda like she did last year, except this year the curve of improvement took a nosedive, instead of peaking.

Shoulderpova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
She has swept away one of the biggest hurdle but she still has a long way to go. And not easy way.
But C'mon Masha. You can do it :hug::smooch:

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
That's just pure delusion then.

The title-clinching match will be on that Saturday afternoon if Maria hits that winner on match point. Remember when Pierce fans got overexcited when she absolutely smothered Graf 62 62 at the French Open? People were saying that she would win RG that year, but she lost to ASV (who does resemble Jankovic's playing style somewhat).

1. Pierce hadn't won a grand slam at that point. Sharapova's won 2.
2. Sanchez Vicario had won a grand slam. Jankovic has never made the finals.
3. Pierce played lights out power tennis. She basically zoned. Maria played very good tennis, but what was most impressive was what she has improved, i.e. her amazing movement and volleys, dropshots and short balls. Her movement was as much a factor in the victory as her power.

I think Jankovic has at least a 25% chance, but Sharapova is the clear and heavy favorite. The same could not be said about Pierce.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Must be pretty good being a Maria/Jelena fan, Sharapovafan16.

Doesn't hurt knowing you'll have a fave going into the final.

blamoh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
How is Venus in anywhere near the same breath as Maria? Maria has beaten the current number one, a former no. 1 and three time slam titleist, and a former top five player and two time slam finalist--all while dropping a grand total of ten games, handing out two bagels in the process. Venus went to a tiebreak against Sania Mirza. I'm not even convinced Venus will get past Ivanovic. I think Venus has more of a chance than some Sharapova fans are saying (she still worries me a lot,) but she is in no way the co favorite.
Sharapova has beaten all of those people you talk about
and therefore making her the favourite this year.
And you should be worried, and should consider
Venus as one of the favourites by your own admission
in your sentences cause she is more than those above.
One thing I should advise you about is we have seen
Sharapova in this form before here at AO. But to get
beaten in the final by a williams. She has been in this
form before in grandslam, Wimbledon and to get beaten
by a Williams.
One wish that may be in your favour in this argument is
maybe Venus has a bad day. Other than that Ana Ivanovic
will be waiting again for another year to apply.

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
1. Pierce hadn't won a grand slam at that point. Sharapova's won 2.
2. Sanchez Vicario had won a grand slam. Jankovic has never made the finals.
3. Pierce played lights out power tennis. She basically zoned. Maria played very good tennis, but what was most impressive was what she has improved, i.e. her amazing movement and volleys, dropshots and short balls. Her movement was as much a factor in the victory as her power.

I think Jankovic has at least a 25% chance, but Sharapova is the clear and heavy favorite. The same could not be said about Pierce.

My point still stands: you may double bagel a player and lose the next match. Just ask Davenport who won 60 60 against Sharapova, then lost to Kim in the next round.

Also, I'm not quite sure why you're discounting Venus. Venus can be the 760th ranked player in the early rounds, and then suddenly, she can turn it on. First three rounds of Wimbledon, Venus played like an amateur, and then beats Maria 3 and 1 or something like that. When you look at the Williamses, you cannot look at form. They can come on court and beat you at your own game.

Overexcitement is dangerous. I know that this was a huge win for your absolute favourite, but if you're writing her in as teh winner at this point, you may be sorely mistaken. There are some brilliant players still in the draw. I'm not disagreeing with you by saying that Maria is the favourite at the moment, but as others have said before: doubt the Williamses at your own peril.

goldlion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Actually, this over excitment will only be a short-lived one since Maria x Jelena match is coming up 2 days later.

So that doesn't cause a problem.

Furthermore, Jelena is much more physically tired than Maria, seeing her movement.

Although she ranks higher than Maria, comparing the form, Maria wins a nose in front of Jelena.

Maria has already gone the the toughest draw and she's stayed in the tournament.

Does that mean anything to all of you?

As now Serena is sent home, I bet Masha fans are gonna relieved for a while, so as Masha.

So let's focus on Jelena now. Get prepared well Maria.

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Not getting over excited its just great to see Maria returning from the shadow of herself she was last year....im sure theres disappointment for those who wished that Maria's struggles were permament. She has a long way to go before comtemplating a title here.

the cat
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Maria beating Henin and ending her 32 match winning streak was great. :D But Masha still has 2 matches to win to win the title and that won't be easy. Espeicaly if she has to play Venus Williams in the final. Venus would be favored in that match and deservedly so since she has owned Maria since she beat Masha in the 2005 Wimbledon semifinals.

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Maria may be playing better than Venus at the moment, but what is her GS record against Venus?

I thought so; NEXT!

Jasmin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Right now I think it's Maria confidence that will probably win her the title.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
It's great that there's this much depth in the game.
Justine and Serena were beaten, and there's still 4 players left with a real chance.
It's good for the sport.

sonnys
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Why not, she will take the title!!!:lick::D;)

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
This win against Henin isn't just a good match.
With all the injuries last year, she was lucky to get a chance in Madrid. She already played well there. I guess it gave her so much motivation to come back again.
She was awesome against Davenport and gave a bagle to Vesnina and Dementieva. Now she destroyed Henin.
Believe me, Maria is now full of confidence and still hungry.
She still tries to play awesome tennis even if it's 6-0 5-0 40-0.
Maria won't give this away.

I felt it with Denmark when they beated Holland in 1992 (soccer). I just knew they would beat Germany.
And later in 2005. At the Australian Open, before the quarterfinals I just knew that Safin would win.

And now I have the same thing with Maria. The title is hers.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
i agree, the final isn't over yet...

KBdoubleu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM

ummm Venus nearly lost to Morigami and Kudryatseva at Wimbledon and then dismissed Sharapova 6-1 6-3 in the fourth round. Maria was playing extremely well in her first two rounds at the US Open and was stunned my Radawanska. Form means nothing with these two until they play the match.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
If Sharapvoa loses to Jankovic the way Jankovic has been playing I may have to start hating Sharapova for being such a choker. If she plays at like 60% of how she played against Justine she will win in straights 64 64. IF she plays like she did in her QF she will win 60 61 or something like that.

bellascarlett
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Maria just gave the number 1 player in the world and most dominant player in the past year (who went in with a 32 match winning streak) a comprehensive beating including making her eat a bagel. All this whilst playing impressively. That was what the general excitement and celebration was for. Obviously we hope for the best for Maria till the end of the AO but nothing is guaranteed.

danieln1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
The match that worries me is the final, when Maria might face Venus/Ana, the players who beat her last year in important matches, although she beat Ana at the YEC. But in her semi-final, Maria will crush Jankovic, that is for sure

Princeza
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
:haha: so we should sit and cry
It's like we don't have the right to celebrate!