PDA

View Full Version : Essentially, Henin has a 70-5 record for her "year".

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Now that her Australian Open campaign has ended, this completes Henin's season on tour as she missed this season last year. 70-5 is still mightily impressive:angel:
Any ways, Justine fans, keep your heads up high. This time, the stars didn't align for Justine, and so what? By the time the "Dirt" rolls around, we are going to get pumped because we all know that's another chance, another sniff, at that 8th Major title.
Lastly, I think this loss will cut Justine loose and set her free from all of these expectations and pressures. Mind you, she handled it extremely well and she knew this run was going to end sometime. There are still many goals this year: a 5th RG title, a Wimbledon title, an Olympic Gold, and defending her US Open title. That's 4 more chances to shine this season for the World's #1. She'll be back.:devil:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
That's not a bad "year".

So are you ready to say that Venus is the top ranked player if she wins the Australian Open for her "year"? :p

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
she didnt bloody win it though did she-as everyone assumed she would have if she had played :rolleyes:

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Her year was statistically impressive but underwhelming in actuality. She just got bageled in a grand slam. That's going to hurt. As a Maria fan, I desperately tried to convince myself that one match didn't matter, that it wouldn't impact her past Oz...but it did. Maria didn't recover from that beat down until November. I don't think Justine's going to have a great year this year.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Maria didn't recover from that beat down until November. I don't think Justine's going to have a great year this year.

Not necessary. Remember that Maria was having injuries in 2007... who knows if she had not gotten it, her year might be much better.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
I think some fans here misunderstood when I said Justine's "year".
Last year, she did NOT play the Australian season and this year she DID. So, in actuality her non-calendar season is a 70-5 adding the results from Sydney and Melbourne.

Each player recovers differently. To say that Henin is going to be thinking about this beat down the same way as Sharapova did last year is just plain redic to be saying that at this point. We shall see as 2008, an Olympic year unfolds.

Matt01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Her year was statistically impressive but underwhelming in actuality. She just got bageled in a grand slam. That's going to hurt. As a Maria fan, I desperately tried to convince myself that one match didn't matter, that it wouldn't impact her past Oz...but it did. Maria didn't recover from that beat down until November. I don't think Justine's going to have a great year this year.

Your girl got several beatdowns last year and as soon as her "injuries" were over, she reached the YEC-final and now beat the #1.

And Justine's year was anything but "underwhelming". :rolleyes: Get a grip.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM

What makes you think Justine and Maria are the same? Just because Maria doesn't recover from a beatdown, doesn't mean Justine won't. They arn't twins or joined at the hip :rolleyes: Look how quickly Justine recovered from that Wimbledon loss and look what happened once Justine had that loss. It certainly didn't take her a full year to recover did it. This was Justine's first loss since July.

So that happening to Maria makes you think that Justine is going to have a bad year :cuckoo:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM

How can 10 tournament wins (2 GS) a 70-5 W/L ratio, earning $5m, finishing YE #1 again and being 2000 or is it 3000 points ahead of anyone else be "underwhelming"? :scratch:

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM

Firstly, let's get one thing straight. Justine has won seven slams. How likely is she about to let this affect her? She's game enough to say "too good" when you beat her, just like she said Marion was too good at Wimbledon. Justine is not weak. Justine has won four French Open titles. She has the versatility to beat everyone on any surface, except maybe grass but albeit having the worst record there, damn she's pretty good on grass as well.

Compare this with Maria, whose shoulder problems plagued her 2007 year. Not only this but there was always a feeling that if there was a player the Williams sisters were out to get, it was always Maria. Maria was pretty much haunted by the beatdowns she got from Venus at Wimbledon, from Serena at AO and IW. She was battling her own demons - it was as if everytime she served she thought Radwanska would suddenly pelt the ball back a la Serena/Venus.

Yes, Maria played well but don't go about assuming that someone with as awesome a record as Justine is going to be affected by this loss. Serena got a beatdown at Wimbledon from Maria, only to rebound back two slams later to win the Australian Open. That's the champion's mentality: the belief that you ARE the best, even if you get beaten from time to time. Get a grip, honestly. You're a delusional Maria fan; I like Maria, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to say that she's invincible just because she beat Justine. If going 70-5 in a non-calendar year is "underwhelming", and if you're going to say that Justine will be affected terribly by this loss, I'm sorry but you are sorely mistaken. Because there is still no doubt that Justine is the best player in the world.

Oh, and this is the knockout blow to your theory of Justine not having a good year. This time last year, Justine came out of one of the most traumatic and saddening moments of her life when she divorced her husband, and came back strong as ever to beat the crap out of the tour the rest of the year. Now how does this compare to getting a comprehensive loss to Maria? Game set match.

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
I am sure this time next year Justine will be heading into the Australian Open with another winning streak and probably another 2 slams/olympics under her belt. 1 match doesn't change everything. Justine doesn't ponder over losses, she gets over it and wins again. I'm not even a fan of hers, just being realistic.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
That's not a bad "year".

So are you ready to say that Venus is the top ranked player if she wins the Australian Open for her "year"? :p
With all those Tier III titles?

Nope.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Remember when everyone was saying Henin's 2007 was better than Serena's 2002. Lets Compare:

Both started their "year" at the FO and ended at the AO the following year.

Henin: FO: W
W: SF
USO: W
YEC: W
AO: QF

Serena: FO: W
W: W
USO: W
YEC: F
AO: W
Hmm....I wonder who had the better year?

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Actually Henin is much more comparable to Venus' 2000. Both started their year at the FO, although Henin actually began playing a little earlier date wise.

I think Venus had a 35 match win streak.

Venus had: FO qf, W W, USO W, AO, SF

and they both got a bagel at one of the majors. lol.
Henin won the YEC but Venus won the Olympics. and Henin ended the year as # 1 so I guess Henin's year was a little better.

FrOzon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM

:confused:

Maria was injured and that's why she was limited in some way. Justine probably won't have a second 2007 but I'm sure it will be great and she'll finish it as No. 1!

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Firstly, let's get one thing straight. Justine has won seven slams. How likely is she about to let this affect her? She's game enough to say "too good" when you beat her, just like she said Marion was too good at Wimbledon. Justine is not weak. Justine has won four French Open titles. She has the versatility to beat everyone on any surface, except maybe grass but albeit having the worst record there, damn she's pretty good on grass as well.

Compare this with Maria, whose shoulder problems plagued her 2007 year. Not only this but there was always a feeling that if there was a player the Williams sisters were out to get, it was always Maria. Maria was pretty much haunted by the beatdowns she got from Venus at Wimbledon, from Serena at AO and IW. She was battling her own demons - it was as if everytime she served she thought Radwanska would suddenly pelt the ball back a la Serena/Venus.

Yes, Maria played well but don't go about assuming that someone with as awesome a record as Justine is going to be affected by this loss. Serena got a beatdown at Wimbledon from Maria, only to rebound back two slams later to win the Australian Open. That's the champion's mentality: the belief that you ARE the best, even if you get beaten from time to time. Get a grip, honestly. You're a delusional Maria fan; I like Maria, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to say that she's invincible just because she beat Justine. If going 70-5 in a non-calendar year is "underwhelming", and if you're going to say that Justine will be affected terribly by this loss, I'm sorry but you are sorely mistaken. Because there is still no doubt that Justine is the best player in the world.

Oh, and this is the knockout blow to your theory of Justine not having a good year. This time last year, Justine came out of one of the most traumatic and saddening moments of her life when she divorced her husband, and came back strong as ever to beat the crap out of the tour the rest of the year. Now how does this compare to getting a comprehensive loss to Maria? Game set match.

1. Losing a match you should have won is very different from playing well and getting your ass handed to you. And the commentators and other unbiased tennis authorities all agree Justine played decently.
2. Your logic, as well as everyone's logic in this thread, was my exact logic last year in Oz. I'm just saying.
3. I'm not a delusional anything, actually. If you actually read what I said, I never said I thought Maria was invincible. I'm the one reminding people that she's 5-5 against Jelena, Venus and Ana and that this tournament is far from over. kthnx
4. Again, I'm sorry you're obviously not smart enough to read and understand what I'm saying, but I said Justine's year is statistically impressive (i.e. all the numbers you and others are throwing at me, which I know better than you all, eleven titles, 70-5 etc. etc.) but underwhelming in actuality because she only won two of the four slams, and lost in the quarter finals 6-4; 6-0 in one of them. I personally don't place much value on minnie mouse tournaments. I care about the slams. Winning minnie mouse tournaments is important to some degree, but I'd rather be Serena Williams, winning four slams in a row but having a few more losses at minnie mouse tournaments, than Justine, getting bageled in the quarter-finals of one of those slams, but sweeping up the minnie mouse tournaments. I don't think someone deserves to be talked about as one of the best years in tennis history if she lost to a world no. 20 in the semi-finals of Wimbledon after being up 6-1; 5-3 and then winning only one game after that, and then getting bageled in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. I don't care how many wins and titles you rack up. Your year is just average (for a player of Justine's caliber, that is) if you lose that badly in two of the four slams.
5. Getting divorced has no bearing on your head to head against other top players. Getting bageled by a younger, up and coming player when you didn't play badly yourself definitely does. Maria wasn't badly affected by her loss to Davenport because A: Davenport wasn't consistently beating her or considered a dominating threat for majors the way Williams, Henin and Sharapova now are and B: Sharapova played badly because of the wind. Maria was badly affected by her loss to Serena because Serena was and is her prime competition for majors and won because she served and returned Maria off the court. Justine also lost because Maria served and returned her off the court, and Maria is a player Justine had had a slight edge against.

I'm not saying Justine will definitely be affected by this, but I think she could.

cecilija
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I agree, Justine had two great slam wins (one bordering on legendary since she beat Venus and Serena back to back) but the AO and Wimbledon were downright embarrassing.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Justine had an excellent year last year. This is a bad loss to start 2008. Serving at 4-5 and not getting another game in the match.

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
1. Losing a match you should have won is very different from playing well and getting your ass handed to you. And the commentators and other unbiased tennis authorities all agree Justine played decently.
2. Your logic, as well as everyone's logic in this thread, was my exact logic last year in Oz. I'm just saying.
3. I'm not a delusional anything, actually. If you actually read what I said, I never said I thought Maria was invincible. I'm the one reminding people that she's 5-5 against Jelena, Venus and Ana and that this tournament is far from over. kthnx
4. Again, I'm sorry you're obviously not smart enough to read and understand what I'm saying, but I said Justine's year is statistically impressive (i.e. all the numbers you and others are throwing at me, which I know better than you all, eleven titles, 70-5 etc. etc.) but underwhelming in actuality because she only won two of the four slams, and lost in the quarter finals 6-4; 6-0 in one of them. I personally don't place much value on minnie mouse tournaments. I care about the slams. Winning minnie mouse tournaments is important to some degree, but I'd rather be Serena Williams, winning four slams in a row but having a few more losses at minnie mouse tournaments, than Justine, getting bageled in the quarter-finals of one of those slams, but sweeping up the minnie mouse tournaments. I don't think someone deserves to be talked about as one of the best years in tennis history if she lost to a world no. 20 in the semi-finals of Wimbledon after being up 6-1; 5-3 and then winning only one game after that, and then getting bageled in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. I don't care how many wins and titles you rack up. Your year is just average (for a player of Justine's caliber, that is) if you lose that badly in two of the four slams.
5. Getting divorced has no bearing on your head to head against other top players. Getting bageled by a younger, up and coming player when you didn't play badly yourself definitely does. Maria wasn't badly affected by her loss to Davenport because A: Davenport wasn't consistently beating her or considered a dominating threat for majors the way Williams, Henin and Sharapova now are and B: Sharapova played badly because of the wind. Maria was badly affected by her loss to Serena because Serena was and is her prime competition for majors and won because she served and returned Maria off the court. Justine also lost because Maria served and returned her off the court, and Maria is a player Justine had had a slight edge against.

I'm not saying Justine will definitely be affected by this, but I think she could.
You really are delusional arn't you? I realise Maria is quite attractive, but surely that doesn't overtake reality? :confused:

Get back to me once Sharapova defends one of her slams. Oops, she got knocked out in 3rd round of both of them :haha:

Maria is an ex-#1 who got bludgeoned by the #81 in the world and got beat by a 17 year old in a GS 3rd round, who was ranked in the what 30's, 40's :tape:

BTW is that you in that picture? :tape::help: The reason I ask is because the person in that picture comes across as a right well drip and the posts that you have made are quite "drippy", so I'm just wondering is that you?

Geisha
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Actually Henin is much more comparable to Venus' 2000. Both started their year at the FO, although Henin actually began playing a little earlier date wise.

I think Venus had a 35 match win streak.

Venus had: FO qf, W W, USO W, AO, SF

and they both got a bagel at one of the majors. lol.
Henin won the YEC but Venus won the Olympics. and Henin ended the year as # 1 so I guess Henin's year was a little better.

Venus' record looks easier to read like this:

Paris - QF (l. Sanchez-Vicario 6-0 1-6 6-2)
Wimbledon - WON (d. #1, #2)
New York - WON (d. #1, #2)
Olympics - WON
Melbourne - SF (l. #1 Hingis 6-1 6-1)

Justine's record:

Paris - WON
Wimbledon SF
New York - WON
YEC - WON
Melbourne - QF

I don't really know her stats though.

tennisbear7
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM

I don't think you're going to get into Duke University, by the way. Intelligence is clearly not your forte.

Here's the comparison: a comprehensive beating by one of WTA's most accomplished players, against one of the most traumatic events of your life in your marriage dissolving. If Justine can get through her husband leaving, then she sure as hell can get over a loss against Sharapova, where there is no shame in losing to her.

Don't even begin trying to construct an argument based on the fact Justine got beaten. Graf came back from that 1994 thrashing at the hands of Pierce to win about a zillion slams later than that. I expect Justine to only improve with this loss. I'm saying that your logic of "oh, she just got beatdown by ONE OF THE WORLD'S BEST PLAYERS (despite you talking as if Maria is a "young, up and comer" like Radwanska)" is one of the most deluded things I've heard coming from a fan. As I said, if Justine can recover to mop the floor of the WTA, from a divorce (of a marriage she clearly placed above tennis), she can surely recover to go about winning more titles in 2007.

In addition, I find your tact of trimming Justine's achievements by saying that she won "Minnie Mouse" tournaments one of the most insulting things I have heard. She showed incredible versatility and strength to win as much as she did, not to mention consistency. Oh, she also won two slams, out of the three she contested. She went 19-1 on GS level tennis. If that isn't utter dominance, then I don't know what is. Also, here's another gap in your argument (surprise!) Justine won 2/3 grand slams she contested, and since you said you only cared about the grand slams, then surely what you said about her winning "Minnie Mouse" tournaments irrelevant. I mean, she did win all those slams! Let me just say that among her "Minnie Mouse" tournaments won, she grabbed about five tier ones and the WTA Championship. Also, what you said in bold is probably the epitome of your stupidity and incoherence: Justine's head to head against players wasn't changed because she didn't even get a chance to play them Down Under. That was the direct result of her divorce though, and if you think that that didn't affect her playing (she put her racquets down for some time, so I'm not necessarily talking about competitive tennis here), then I hope you have rich parents who might be able to buy you a place at Duke.

Beatdown. Way to try to comfort yourself, though. I know you desperately seek a clear pathway to Maria's utter dominance, but you know, this is women's tennis.

tennisbear7
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Wow. :haha:

youngbuck
Feb 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Serena got a beatdown at Wimbledon from Maria, only to rebound back two slams later to win the Australian Open. That's the champion's mentality: the belief that you ARE the best, even if you get beaten from time to time.

Maria got a beatdown last year only to rebound back one year later killing the opposition. Now isn't that the champion's mentality? So what's your point?:confused:

tennisbear7
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Maria got a beatdown last year only to rebound back one year later killing the opposition. Now isn't that the champion's mentality? So what's your point?:confused:

Exactly. Maria's a champion, and so is Henin. Losses don't affect how they feel about their game or about themselves. You've proven my point, you thick-headed cretin. Now ead back into mumma's arms.

Ntour
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
:haha: this is hilarious justine loses in a slam qf and suddenly she is finished as a player im sure maria would have liked to even make the qf last year at Wimby and Uso, and we all know serenas recent history of slam qfs

and of course this is the start of marias domination (you know just like those two other slams wins that she backed up with pretty much nothing)

do you think the loss against Sharapova at the USO 06 may have been a little more important being a slam final, she seemed to bounce back from that quite fine, she knows she didn't play well and she knows she can step it up

all these predictions of henins demise are ridiculous

danieln1
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Big deal... So, Lindsay´s "year" is now 19-2, after having a baby is still impressive! Funny thread

tennisbear7
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM
:haha: this is hilarious justine loses in a slam qf and suddenly she is finished as a player im sure maria would have liked to even make the qf last year at Wimby and Uso, and we all know serenas recent history of slam qfs

and of course this is the start of marias domination (you know just like those two other slams wins that she backed up with pretty much nothing)

do you think the loss against Sharapova at the USO 06 may have been a little more important being a slam final, she seemed to bounce back from that quite fine, she knows she didn't play well and she knows she can step it up

all these predictions of henins demise are ridiculous

Well, I agree. I bumped this thread to show everyone how much of a deluded moron mboyle is, saying that her beatdown from Maria was more significant to Henin than her divorce.

lol.

mankind
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Big deal... So, Lindsay´s "year" is now 19-2, after having a baby is still impressive! Funny thread

Yeah, 70-5 W/L record is pretty shit, isn't it.

Ntour
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM

but Lindsays won't be a "year" until around USopen time

rollup
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

I'm sure if Justine had played the tournaments Lindsay played, then her "year" would be 19-1!

Playing Tier III's/IV's is nothing compared to what Justine played. 70-5 whilst going through a divorce is mega impressive! :D

rollup
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I agree. I bumped this thread to show everyone how much of a deluded moron mboyle is, saying that her beatdown from Maria was more significant to Henin than her divorce.

lol.

That quote/statement has to be the funniest I've ever, ever read anywhere :haha:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!