Pages : [1] 2

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I predicted this at the end of last year

she can be overpowered easily

:yeah:

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
It is too early to say that. She can be overpowered, but it is not easy. A player has to hit four or five winners in every single rally to beat her. Maria is the only player who can do that, and there's no evidence that she'll be able to do that match in, match out.

strictennis
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I feel that way too! Not like overpowered but more like the fall the Belgiums.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Just because of one terrible loss, and you say Henin's decline has started?

Dude, then what about your fave? :tape:

majuu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Maria is over 6 foot and Justine is around only 5'5. Of course she can be overpowered if a power player like Maria plays flawless power tennis like she did tonight.

The morons stating Maria was "always a better player" than Justine are really making a bold statement saying that.

fleemke³
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
:lol:
She is human you know and can have a bad day and a good opponent in front off her ... She'll be back :cool:

cypher_88
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM

when Maria lost 0-6 0-6 to Lindsay people similar threads were created...and she came back strong:worship:. no reason why Justine should not recover from this bagel.

Justine for Wimby :hearts:

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Justine can be overpowered, but in the better part of a year, only one player has possessed the right kind of power.

I'm sure Mirza overpowers Justine when they play...

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm not Henin's favorite fan but I know she has top game.

Carlos was a tool. He said hit the ball down the middle? Justine couldn't get into her game because she was facing pressure all night.

All top players have bad matches but I am no fool. Justine will be around for awhile. A long while.

FrOzon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
About nine months after Serena's decline has begun! :lol:

jujufreak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM

when she's not playing well... yes, that's true... the same goes for every player :)

at least, we're not making up excuses. Maria was better and deserved to win. I didn't hear that comment from many Williams fans.

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't think Justine is going away but rather other players are improving tremendously. Justine MUST work on service variety. She cannot grow an extra 4 or 5 inches tall and get as many cheap points. But against maria today most players would have been utterly overpowered except maybe for a williams sister playing at her absolute best. Kinda hard to do much with a ball you cannot reach. Plain and simple. Now justine needs to figure out how to improve her serve first and foremost and tend to her knee and just keep working hard.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Justin with such a poor serve doesn't deserve the no 1 spot. Look at Federer

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Justin with such a poor serve doesn't deserve the no 1 spot. Look at Federer...........

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Justine and Serena are OUT. It's the changing of the new guards, making the way for Sharapova, Jankovic, and Ivanovic generation

DokicPova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
a serena fan talking about decline :help::help::help::tape:

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
This is just dumb. One bad loss does not a decline make. Justine will be ok. There was nothing she could do today. Sharapova was simply not going to lose that match and she played intense and focused from the first point. But, I'm glad she lost. :tape:

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Whenver she lost a match these types of thread would occur. It was just a matter of time.

She lost, everyone does. Typical Reetard.

ZeroSOFInfinity
This is just dumb. One bad loss does not a decline make. Justine will be ok. There was nothing she could do today. Sharapova was simply not going to lose that match and she played intense and focused from the first point. But, I'm glad she lost. :tape:

Yup, I am too... at least that tells her that she can't be invincible forever.

Dawn Marie
Not just her service variety (which she has) but she can't get into the mode of hitting into a bang fest with players like Maria. Justine didn't play her game. She started using that slice late in the second set. Her angles weren't around. Justine was playing Masha's game.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM

She only dominates on clay or when other players are injured and not match fit. I always thought that. Not taking anything against her though I still think she is a very good player, but when everyone steps up their game...she's not a big a threat as her fans make her out to be....sorry...thats my opinion...either like it or go to hell. :lol:

diekedelver
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
You win some (32), you lose some... ;)

my0118
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM

oh.. trolling :o :o

new-york
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM

don't go garb with the garbers.

you predicted or you hoped.
well she can be in a decline, she was so at the top that it will still be mighty fine for her.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
You win some (32), you lose some... ;)

Yeah and that too...;) just ask Serena lol...(im still mad at her btw)

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Justine dominates on clay. If she doesn't get to 8 majors at RG, then there's an issue.

Sharapova is still 20. If she gets her 3rd major here, she's what we said.
Possibly the biggest slam winner of this era will be Sharapova.

That's why it's so interesting. Lots of good players around.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Not just her service variety (which she has) but she can't get into the mode of hitting into a bang fest with players like Maria. Justine didn't play her game. She started using that slice late in the second set. Her angles weren't around. Justine was playing Masha's game.

She does not have service variety actually. It's been a noticeable trend since 04. She hits all her serves really really hard up the middle. Whenever she tries to hit out wide, she misses. She makes a couple a set, but that's it. I don't see how she's going to develop variety. The geometry just doesn't seem to work. How can she get over the high part of the net with a flat serve at 100-105MPH? I don't see it happening.

Also, slicing the ball was not working. Justine started doing it midway through the second, and it worked for a bit, but Sharapova figured it out. Justine needs time to set up her shots and use her variety. Sharapova gave her absolutely no time at all.

ViennaCalling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Didn´t we have the same thread one year ago about Sharapova? :yawn:

Dawn Marie
So if she doesn't win RG in 08 she's in trouble? That's nuts. Henin will not win all RG that she enters. She could slump in 08 but bounce back in 09??
Why is it that when top players dominate and then lose one match people act like they'll never win a slam or title again?? Err people Justine just had a 32 match win streak?? Hello?? ROTFLMAO!
That's liek saying Serena lost today and will never win another slam?? Shit happens.

GO VENUS!!

Mightymirza
well these threads crop up after every justine loss..:lol: only time will tell whos going where..:wavey:

vettipooh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Whenver she lost a match these types of thread would occur. It was just a matter of time.

She lost, everyone does. Typical Reetard.

Hypocrite!!:tape: :lol: :wavey::tape:

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
I pretty much agree with Mboyle. justine needs to really work on her serve. Of course, I realize that with her height that she is somewhat disadvantaged but if she would take some pace off of it and open up the court then I think it would help her a lot. just too predictable tonight. The slice backhand is not great against Maria's hard flat shots. Federer had the same issue against Tipsarevic's shots. Just kind of difficult to execute an aggressively low short or deep slice off such hard flat shots. Plain and simple. Angles also are tough to develop off such deep shots. Basically she handcuffed Justine to a defensive because of Justine's predictable serving, Maria's great serving and her great groundies. She just got outplayed with the tools she had today. End of story. Does not mean that Justine is finished... that is laughable. We have seen Maria, Serena and many other players get hammered and come back. Losses are good. They help you learn and bring you back to reality.

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
She does not have service variety actually. It's been a noticeable trend since 04. She hits all her serves really really hard up the middle. Whenever she tries to hit out wide, she misses. She makes a couple a set, but that's it. I don't see how she's going to develop variety. The geometry just doesn't seem to work. How can she get over the high part of the net with a flat serve at 100-105MPH? I don't see it happening.

Also, slicing the ball was not working. Justine started doing it midway through the second, and it worked for a bit, but Sharapova figured it out. Justine needs time to set up her shots and use her variety. Sharapova gave her absolutely no time at all.
I disagree. Henin has good service vareity. She can slice out wide, hit up the middle and up the tee. In fact I think this is a part of her game that ables players to get free points but is a part of her game that is always underrated. Good body serves.

What is happening is that Henin just is not serving as well as she did in 07. We saw this at the beginning of this at the WTA Championships.

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
I also think Justine's knee had a tad bit of impact on her. Had her knee been 100% she still would have lost though but maybe it would have taken another 20-30 minutes.

tiptop
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

Genci, you are a genius! ;)

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
The slice backhand is not great against Maria's hard flat shots. Federer had the same issue against Tipsarevic's shots. Just kind of difficult to execute an aggressively low short or deep slice off such hard flat shots. Plain and simple. Angles also are tough to develop off such deep shots. Basically she handcuffed Justine to a defensive because of Justine's predictable serving,

I wish I hadn't just good repped you, because this post is even better. I know we've disagreed a lot on politics, but this is the most rational I've ever seen someone after his favorite got beaten. Thank you so much for pointing out that Justine COULDN'T slice and dice and be creative because she didn't have time. Do any of you people who are suggesting she played badly actually play tennis? I can tell you, I try to play a smart, crafty game myself, but when I come up against players who are just pounding the ball, no matter how well I'm playing, I just can't get under a flat shot. It bounces at your knees. You can't control it unless you use topspin. You just can't.

Justine played as well as she could play against the Maria that showed up today for the first set. In the second, Justine got sloppy on a few shots, but Maria also got better and more confident.

From here, Justine is going to have to develop a nasty slice out wide on the deuce and a high kicker out wide on the ad. I think she can do both. Neither will give her free points, but it will give her variety, and will prevent players from leaning to the center, thus allowing her already thunderous up the T serves to become aces once in a while. I have full faith that Justine will improve from here.

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Another thing that is not mentioned is that Justine couldn't hang mentally to even it all up to 5 all. If she had five all I think the match couldn't went another route. 6/0 wouldn't of occured.

What could happen that Justine has to watch out for is her losing mental toughness during matches. The old Juju could come back.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Another thing that is not mentioned is that Justine couldn't hang mentally to even it all up to 5 all. If she had five all I think the match couldn't went another route. 6/0 wouldn't of occured.

What could happen that Justine has to watch out for is her losing mental toughness during matches. The old Juju could come back.

She only got one point to hold, as I remember, and Maria crushed a first serve to erase it. That game spoke much more to Maria's mental toughness than Justine's.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I disagree. Henin has good service vareity. She can slice out wide, hit up the middle and up the tee. In fact I think this is a part of her game that ables players to get free points but is a part of her game that is always underrated. Good body serves.

What is happening is that Henin just is not serving as well as she did in 07. We saw this at the beginning of this at the WTA Championships.

Henin's serve is often talked about as the weakest part of her game. She very rarely hits out wide, especially on the Ad side. I will concede that she does have a good body serve.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Bollocks! It was one defeat she isn't going to decline she will be back to her winning ways soon! Maria was just to good on the day! :)

Apoleb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Too many people are looking at technical issues and stuff, and the reality is that this isn't the issue.

She just wasn't on form. Justine doesn't necessarily need time to execute, and she proved it in the US Open and in Madrid too, where she took control of most of the rallys on a much faster surface and with almost the same level of hitting by her opponents.

The serve has always been her weakest link, but it's not what made her lose today. She came up with better results serving worse. The problem was that her groundstrokes lacked the necessary bite.

When you win in three sets 64 in the third against players like Ivanovic or Kuznetsova playing crap, you aren't going to suddendly find the form to beat a player the caliber of Maria.

Apoleb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM

Mental toughness was far from being the issue.

In fact, she won 4 games largely because of her mental toughness. She had to dig everytime to win her own serves. It's actually quite astonishing that she was so close to level the first set, when Maria had clearly been the better player all through out.

fightserena!!!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
this year i predict Venus for AO (bold but I believe it), Justine for French, Serena for Wimby and Sharpie for USOpen....and I think maybe Justine for the gold medal.

my0118
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Mental toughness was far from being the issue.

In fact, she won 4 games largely because of her mental toughness. She had to dig everytime to win her own serves. It's actually quite astonishing that she was so close to level the first set, when Maria had clearly been the better player all through out.

Yeah I agree with you. If she hadn't been mentally tougher, Maria could've even crashed her in the first set like the second.
Henin was too defensive.

Beat
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
She only dominates on clay or when other players are injured and not match fit.
:help: did you watch any tennis last year?

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Agreed, but the Justine I'm use to seeing was clearly a bit rattled. The Justine I knwo would of held at 5 all.
Of course the weakest part of her game is her serve but that is becasue her game is so good. A player controls the serve. I'm not buying the Justine needs to change her serve. Nobody was saying this crap in 07???

Suddenly she doesn't serve well at got a thrashing and she needs to overhaul her serve? Bull.
Henin was always behind and was feeling the pressure. Maria played a great match but Henin didn't play her normal game. It was meant for masha to win.

Like last year when Serena won OZ and Venus won Wimbledon sometimes it is meant to be. No biggie. I don't think Maria has Henin's number.

Ntour
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
she;ll be back there ares till hopes for multiple slams this year

cellophane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Pfff. You wish. She'll kick everybody's ass later this year.

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
This is such a stupid thread. Justine has dominated tennis in the last 2 years and is still the best player in the world. One loss to a player playing out of her mind is not the start of any sort of decline.

Dan23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Please....the woman is allowed to lose 1 match in every 32 or so isnt she?

I hope shes around for a lot longer, her contests with Maria are great to watch and bring out the best in Maria.

Tennisaddict
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Justine is not declining at all, but she got punished for her poor excuse of a serve.
She is an excellent player with the most variety on tour but she can be beaten by an in form Maria, Venus, Serena, Ana and so on. Because they have strong serves which they can build their aggressive games around. But it still requires a top notch performance from them to beat Henin. Henin has to improve her serve, she gets away with it many times but not this time.

Allez-H
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'm already looking forward to bump this thread when she'll prove you wrong ... again :cool:

*bookmarks it*

Jasmin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think it's just that Maria has improved and Henin had one bad day. Plus most players can't be 'on' years in a row like Serena could or Federer has been. I personally didn't expect dominance from Henin like some predicted. I expected her to do well but not win everything. I really truly don't like Henin but I don't think she's in declined because of one day. I think unfortunately my Serena is more in a decline than anything. That knee injury (I think) has changed Serena and I don't think it will ever be the same.

I don't really watch women's tennis anymore but with the way the men have been playing doesn't look like I missed anything. I would have been nice if Henin and Serena took their matches to a 3rd set but it's really been blah.

bellascarlett
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Please....the woman is allowed to lose 1 match in every 32 or so isnt she?

I hope shes around for a lot longer, her contests with Maria are great to watch and bring out the best in Maria.

Love it. Very true. Even with that H2H in her favor, I always looked forward to Maria playing her. Maria learns so much from Justine and from playing her I believe. Indeed, Justine brings out the best in Maria that's because Maria has much respect for her.

And please...she was on a long winning streak and it took a Sharapova playing amazing tennis to stop her. I really believed it was Maria who was gonna stop her and no one else. ;) Unless Maria backs up that win against Justine with something big, Justine is still the player to beat.

lilimi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
why everytime a player is losing a match that means the end of her career? :smash: those threads are boring.

Calypso
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
:tape:You've got to be kidding!
Just one loss in 32 matches and its all doom and gloom?

missvarsha
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Predicting that Justine is on the way out is as ridiculous and farfetched as predicting that she was shoo-in to win the golden grand slam this year.
Henin is clearly ahead of her competitors at this moment, even Sharapova despite this loss, but not so far ahead that she can get complacent. She looked flat and unmotivated in her entire Australian swing - its not that surprising considering that there was bound to be some feeling of let down after last year. With all due respect to their fans, getting taken to close sets by the likes of Poutchkova and Schiavone is not the signs of a player on the rampage. Even the Sydney title was won over weak competition.

Hopefully she can break out of whatever funk she's in at the moment, as she heads to a place where she has done traditionally well - it the Middle East swing, and then continue to build momentum over the clay season. Henin has all the tools to have another banner year, but unfortunately for her its not an automatic given either.

jujufreak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Plus most players can't be 'on' years in a row like Serena could.

Years in a row :confused: Serena :tape: when :D ????????

her longest winning streak was 21 victories ;)

jujufreak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Even the Sydney title was won over weak competition.

Sure, Ana and Sveta are nobodies...

missvarsha
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Serena may not have compiled 30 match long streaks but in 2002 and 2003 she bought the goods when it counted. Plus there is just an intangible factor to what she did - before the french open Serena declared that this is it, Im going to win the Grand Slam now. And just like that SHE WENT OUT AND DID IT. That alone gives her a mental edge over everyone she plays for life.

And speaking only for myself as a Justine fan I celebrate her wins over Serena so much because in all honesty it always seems like has only a 60/40 chance of beating her at best.

Sure, Ana and Sveta are nobodies...

Um, yes in my opinion they are. They could be ranked 1 and 2 for all I care and have "all the potential in the world" and be up and comers and whatever else, but the fact is that Sveta compiled a glowing 1-7 record in finals in her last season and until she actually goes out and starts winning the big ones, Ana has still had a less successful career at the moment than players like Mary Jo Fernandez, Helena Sukova and Olga Morozova. Yeah, players we expound to this day as legends of the sport.

By the way this is not to disparage those three - they were what I consider the likes of Ivanovic et al to be - very solid top 10 players, who had long successful careers but were never seriously expected to challenge Graf, Navratilova or Evert (respectively) for the important titles.

mirzalover
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
It is too early to say that. She can be overpowered, but it is not easy. A player has to hit four or five winners in every single rally to beat her. Maria is the only player who can do that, and there's no evidence that she'll be able to do that match in, match out.

:lol: Right...Maria...ok

jacobruiz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Nonsense. Justine is still and will continue to be a great player.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Tennis isnt just about power though :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
ZOMG Justine better retire before she embarrasses herself any further.

Maria Croft
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
:lol: this thread is so silly, Justine isn't going anywhere.

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Justine isn't goin anywhere on fortunately
but it is so great she lost
so happy

shibster
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
justine was never a "true" #1, despite what the rankings may say. she only capitalised on the injured WS last year, and a not-in-form and still recovering sharapova.

i dun think there is a decline, she's just being put back where she belongs by sharapova.

indeed, justine isn't going anywhere but DOWN :devil:

let's just sit back, relax, and continue to enjoy big blonde babe power screaming tennis :eeeek:

Sammm
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I agree with all the sensible posters who said that one loss doesn't mean you're in decline or some sort of downfall.
Unfortunately, I didn't see the match, but it lasted one hour 38minutes -- that's pretty long for a 6-4 6-0 match, and suggets Justine tried to hang tough and was unlucky not to win a few more games. The win was never in doubt for Maria, but Justine is far from over.

xan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
No matter how good, everyone eventually loses a match. One loss says nothing very much, except that Maria played really well, and no one is unbeatable by the right player on the right day. Justine has weaknesses just like anyone else, but it takes the best players to capitalize on them.

The question is, will Justine dominate this year like she dominated the 2nd half of 2007? Jury is still out on that one.

chloe-l
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I agree with all the sensible posters who said that one loss doesn't mean you're in decline or some sort of downfall.
Unfortunately, I didn't see the match, but it lasted one hour 38minutes -- that's pretty long for a 6-4 6-0 match, and suggets Justine tried to hang tough and was unlucky not to win a few more games. The win was never in doubt for Maria, but Justine is far from over.

:cool:

alfonsojose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM

:tape:

plantman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm not Henin's favorite fan but I know she has top game.

Carlos was a tool. He said hit the ball down the middle? Justine couldn't get into her game because she was facing pressure all night.

All top players have bad matches but I am no fool. Justine will be around for awhile. A long while.

Circe
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Jumping the gun a little' aren't we?

Everyone has a bad loss occassionally, and its not like she lost to some random unknown.

mariahdg
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
The 3rd game of first set,justine look like so pissed. and the last point of first set is the key.
maybe justine saved,that could change.
It doesn't matter
I think she will be sending double eggs on clay later.
When her back home,this is her main goal.:lol:

Dodoboy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
too early to say!

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
this is ridiculous. justine HAS to lose at some point. the woman had an AMAZING streak going on. just because she loses to the better player (better player today anyway), does not mean her game is in the decline. she can't win every match, i mean give her some credit.

on that note, maria was on fire. bageling the number one player in the world in a GS QF? when has that last happened?

on another not i know i'm gonna get shit for saying this, but i still don't think maria will be winning this slam. if venus reaches the final, it's hers.

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
it's not about 1 loss or that she should retire after 1 loss (although this would be great :D )

but last year from july she was invincible even when playing against on-form players and very rarely an opponent looked with a chance of winning (maybe Sharapova in YEC)

while this tournament showed how fragile she is when playing a hard hitter and lately there have been many hard hitters on tour

she wont finish the year on top of ranking :wavey:

thiskidhasit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
it's not about 1 loss or that she should retire after 1 loss (although this would be great :D )

but last year from july she was invincible even when playing against on-form players and very rarely an opponent looked with a chance of winning (maybe Sharapova in YEC)

while this tournament showed how fragile she is when playing a hard hitter and lately there have been many hard hitters on tour

Then who will be #1 - Kuznetsova?

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Then who will be #1 - Kuznetsova?

Kuznetsova shouldnt even be in top 5

Sharapova or Serena ;)

plantman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

The last couple years she's done rather well against the power hitters! After one loss you expect (HOPE) Justine to just go away! It's not going to happen.:)

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM

there is only one winner, not multiples, in a rally - winners normally end a point.

maria is not the only player who can strike the ball well and overpower justine. this is bs.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I don't know if it's a decline. But Justine was supposed to dominate the tour. She came off her best year and she was supposed to be the "best" player out there. Losing to Sharapova is nothing really to be ashamed of but to lose 64 60 when you are coming off your most dominant year ever. Iono about that. And this is a slam she's played well at, 1 win and 1 RU.

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I don't know if it's a decline. But Justine was supposed to dominate the tour. She came off her best year and she was supposed to be the "best" player out there. Losing to Sharapova is nothing really to be ashamed of but to lose 64 60 when you are coming off your most dominant year ever. Iono about that. And this is a slam she's played well at, 1 win and 1 RU.

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
It is unwise to say that the decline of Henin has started. While I'll admit that her loss to Maria was a surprise (I am talking about the final score), she is still very dominant on clay and unless someone comes along to challenge her on clay, she isn't in decline.

I will go out on a limb and say she will not win Wimbledon this year.

thiskidhasit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Kuznetsova shouldnt even be in top 5

Sharapova or Serena ;)

Serena? She's going to be losing points after this, LOL. And there's no way in hell she would ever beat Justine on clay. You're dreaming.

KBdoubleu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
This is Justine's first loss before a slam semi since 2005. Maria played a great match, but Justine was injured and off her game. I think the 2007 US Open will always be the best Justine has ever played, but there is no way she is out of slam contention.

HenryMag.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
so Davenport decline had started too...OMG!!!

they won the same amount of games vs Sharapova.

BK4ever
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Where do they get these people from. Maria was awesome but Juju definitely helped the cause with her shitty serve and lack of aggression.

As smart as Juju is and as much variety as she has in her game, no way is she on the decline. She should just chalk this match up to a bad day and go work on her serve.

Danči Dementia
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
pATHETIC THREAD STUPID THREAD..............
Come on guys really she just lost ONE FUCKING match...........and its the end of her carrer or what..............is ridiculous......she can´t be winning the whole time....1 match only 1 match.......

She is going to win slams this year and we all know it get over it

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
The decline of Henin and started by a Serena Williams fan :haha:

Surely your favourite has been in a decline since say April.

Decline :lol: This thread starter is a comedian. Yeh, what a decline, she lost one match since mid-July :rolleyes:

Seems to me that the OP is some sort of hater or is totally pissed that Serena lost yet again in a QF :tape:

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Serena? She's going to be losing points after this, LOL. And there's no way in hell she would ever beat Justine on clay. You're dreaming.

yeah, Serena will barely be top ten after this.....

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Justin with such a poor serve doesn't deserve the no 1 spot. Look at Federer

:haha: Coming from a Mirza fan :tape:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
She only dominates on clay or when other players are injured and not match fit. I always thought that. Not taking anything against her though I still think she is a very good player, but when everyone steps up their game...she's not a big a threat as her fans make her out to be....sorry...thats my opinion...either like it or go to hell. :lol:

This thread is supposed to be about Justine not Serena :tape::help:

Steffica Greles
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
If Justine can be overpowered so 'easily'....

THEN WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THE WILLIAMS SISTERS?

LOL.

People really should pull their guns from their holsters before shooting.

As to the point itself, although exaggerated, it's true, and it always will be. Justine's achilies heels will always be that her groundstrokes, though heavy and considerable in velocity, are not quite as rasping as the likes of Sharapova; her serve, though powerful and a big weapon, will never have the leverage of Maria's; and lastly, her strength, though remarkable, will never be at the level of taller, heavier foes.

But who didn't know that?

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
This really reminds me of the Federer -v- Nalbandian matches where Fed could do nothing against the powerhouse of Nalbandian! All the Fed haters started saying that Fed was in decline when he lost to Nalbandian. Sure they were right, Nalbandian got knocked out in 3rd round :tape: and Fed is still going.

Some you win some you lose. :shrug:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
This thread is supposed to be about Justine not Serena :tape::help:

Ahhh pardon me but Serena was not the only person Henin played last year...:rolleyes: so i dont know why you think I was single-ing out Serena.

fammmmedspin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM

She's going to lose to a really hard hitter who is consistent, has a really good serve, doesn't fold mentally in a winning position or wear out, who is smart and who has enough anticipation/speed. There's precisely one of those in the top 15 whose currently fit enough to do it. Jelena was showing flashes of aggressive play against Serena that may mean she will step up too and Ana is ticking most boxes so may join in.

partbrit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
It's going to be a while before the decline of Justine Henin.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Justine's "dominance" is like weapons of mass destruction...never existed.

There is no "dominant" player in women's tennis and I appreciate that. Justine has played great tennis, and she lost to a great opponent. People who were hyping her as the Female Federer were setting themselves up for disappointment...such a thing does not exist on the women's tour. Thankfully. I prefer a competitive, up in the air environment.

Justine had a good run. I expect she has more great tennis in her.

SF

serenus_2k8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Im not too shocked by this loss. Someone like Henin isnt going to go 'Gosh I lost, lets wind down until retirement' :lol:

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I highly doubt JH is in decline.

But she's no Federer (as some posters were trying to claim), that's for sure.

Beat
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
justine was never a "true" #1, despite what the rankings may say. she only capitalised on the injured WS last year, and a not-in-form and still recovering sharapova.
:haha: please tell me you're being ironic.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
:haha: please tell me you're being ironic.

No actually I agree with him...

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
I highly doubt JH is in decline.

But she's no Federer (as some posters were trying to claim), that's for sure.

She doesn't have the mentality like Federer does, and she doesn't have the serve as well. Well she does, she served faster than Maria on first serves overall, but she couldn't find it when she needed it most.

Matt01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Personally, I'm not worried about Justine. She has won the biggest AO warm-up tourney this year, and the next Slam is her "home Slam" where she is undefeated since years and we all have seen how well she can play on fast hardcourts like decoturf at the US Open.

She had bad day, Sharapova was better than her this time (Justine still clearly leads their heat-to-head), I wouldn't read too much into it.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Of course one match doesn't mean a player is in decline. However, Justine will be 26 years old around the time Roland Garros starts. It is quite normal that a player begins to slip a bit from their peak plateau around this age so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Justine a little more vunerable this year than she was last year. And next year she is likely to be a little weaker than she will be this year. It's called aging and it happens to all of us, including very good tennis players.

vejh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
^Honey, this wasn't a slip, this was a grossly bad day. That's all. There is too much dramatizing on this board. Last year Pova was over-rated. This year already she is the true #1. Where is perspective??lol

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Of course one match doesn't mean a player is in decline. However, Justine will be 26 years old around the time Roland Garros starts. It is quite normal that a player begins to slip a bit from their peak plateau around this age so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Justine a little more vunerable this year than she was last year. And next year she is likely to be a little weaker than she will be this year. It's called aging and it happens to all of us, including very good tennis players.

Very true!

Stamp Paid
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
People who take obvious troll threads seriously :smash:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Sharapova or Serena ;)

:weirdo:

Updated Ranking after AO quarterfinal matches:

1 Justine 6680
2 Ana 3876
3 Kuzzy 3775
4 Jankovic 3700
5 Anna 2720
----------------------------------------------------------------
6 Venus 2720
7 Maria 2706
8 Hantuchova 2677
9 Bartoli 2191
10 Serena 2023
--------------------------------------------------------------------
11 Dementieva 1985
12 Nadia 1912
13 Golovin 1852

Well... start chasing then :wavey:

RJWCapriati
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Maria played better than she ever has before - there wasn't much Henin could pull out to stop her - its definitely not a decline because she loses 1 match you moron.

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM

1 Justine 6680
2 Ana 3876
3 Kuzzy 3775
4 Jankovic 3700
5 Anna 2720
6 Venus 2720
7 Maria 2706
8 Hantuchova 2677
9 Bartoli 2191
10 Serena 2023
11 Dementieva 1985
12 Nadia 1912
13 Golovin 1852

do you know how the year end ranking is calculated, you tool?

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
do you know how the year end ranking is calculated, you tool?

Go on, tell us.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
OK... so Serena-rules-no1... tell me how you calculate the year-end ranking.

I would love to know it. :wavey:

*Jean*
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I hope so :lol:

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
OK... so Serena-rules-no1... tell me how you calculate the year-end ranking.

I would love to know it. :wavey:

what's the point in giving me the current ranking when you know that henin will have to defend those points till the end of the year

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
^^^
:haha: :lol:

You forgot three important things...

1) Justine did not play AO and Sydney last year, so she has no points to defend. In fact she now even extended her lead over the rest with her win in Sydney and QF appearance in AO. Serena lost points as she was bundled out from the QF, and Maria should only extend it... by a bit.
2) Guess what season is next?
3) The only way Justine is going to lose the #1 ranking and either Serena / Maria to get it is that Justine does not play for 6 months or more, and Serena / Maria winning every tournament they entered. Which is like 3-4 Tier 1 and a GS or 2. And that will not likely happen.

I am giving you the current ranking to show your stupidity. No offense... but you do look like a big, fat fool :haha:

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
3) The only way Justine is going to lose the #1 ranking and either Serena / Maria to get it is that Justine does not play for 6 months or more, and Serena / Maria winning every tournament they entered. Which is like 3-4 Tier 1 and a GS or 2. And that will not likely happen.

you are so wrong

the way for Serena/Maria to get no.1 ranking ahead of henin at the end of the year is to have better results than henin this year, simple as that

looks like you are a big fat fool

actually a bit ignorant and ****ish also :wavey:

Il Primo!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM

1 Justine 6680
2 Ana 3876
3 Kuzzy 3775
4 Jankovic 3700
5 Anna 2720
6 Venus 2720
7 Maria 2706
8 Hantuchova 2677
9 Bartoli 2191
10 Serena 2023
11 Dementieva 1985
12 Nadia 1912
13 Golovin 1852

You're totally right.

But on another side, Maria is more likely to finish number one than Justine, according to the Race rankings. I know it's only the beginning of the year but Justine didn't start by the best way possible ;)

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
you are so wrong

the way for Serena/Maria to get no.1 ranking ahead of henin at the end of the year is to have better results than henin this year, simple as that

looks like you are a big fat fool

actually a bit ignorant and ****ish also :wavey:

So this is your version of a calculation? :tape: :haha:

Uranus
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
LOOOL @ the thread starter.

Interesting fact is that the media is talking more about the sisters' decline than Henin's, currently.

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM

Interesting fact is that the media is talking more about the sisters' decline than Henin's, currently.

:hehehe: and notice the username of the thread starter.:tape:

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
So this is your version of a calculation? :tape: :haha:

you get my point, eejit, no need to say more

or putting a lolz smiley is all you do?

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
you get my point, eejit, no need to say more

or putting a lolz smiley is all you do?

You can't calculate it can you? :spit:

treufreund
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
OMG ROTFLMAO at the thread starter's name!!!! :haha: :haha: I mean Serena lost two matches in one day!!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
you are so wrong

Oh please... spare me the laughter :haha:

By the time Wimbledon comes, you will be searching this thread furiously and trying to delete it to hide the shame.

And if you think Justine will just lay dead after her loss at AO, you are so wrong... and she's gonna make you eat your words. Every single one of it.

So, be prepared to say your prayers. You surely need it :lol:

Ntour
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
i think this loss will have an effect similar to the bartoli one

she was really motivated after that one and she started playing her best tennis

hopefully she can bring her agressive game back, she was really looking flat and most of the time very defensive in australia

looking forward ot more matches with maria

rottweily
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Where have we heard that before :rolleyes:
And of course it had to come from a scared Serena fan.
She is so easily overpowered and that of course translates in a petty W/L ratio :rolleyes:
I'm 100% confident Justine will at least equal Serena in GS count and probably also overtake her :p

cecilija
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Guys, this poster is a MTF troll who hates both Justine nad Serena :lol:

Don't take him too seriously.

Forehand_Volley
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

Most probably because Henin just lost for the first time in six months.

Henin's "decline" usually lasts for about one tournament. She took a bad loss to Marion and turned it into a winning streak.

We'll see about this sudden "decline" at the French Open.

Allez!

Uranus
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Most probably because Henin just lost for the first time in six months.

Henin's "decline" usually lasts for about one tournament. She took a bad loss to Marion and turned it into a winning streak.

We'll see about this sudden "decline" at the French Open.

Allez!
Yes, that's what I meant. Allez Justine!

Awwh and how about this one :haha:
Fact is that Justine defeated Serena in 3 slams in a row + top form Venus on her home soil.
This thread is just ridiculous. But wasn't it expected? :tape:

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Bump

eck
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You can add a few more names. :)

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
A close lost, and you again bump this thread? :lol:

At least she played... what about yours?

Aaron.
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM
You can say the same thing about Venus too?

Il Primo!

In my sensational own opinion, playing and losing is worse than not playing at all

Serena-rules-no1

:awww: :awww:

come on, you'll get over it :hug:

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
You can say the same thing about Venus too?

yes, Penus sucks big time

Dave.
Sydney WIN
Australian Open QF
Antwerp WIN
Dubai QF

Decline? :confused:

Aaron.
yes, Penus sucks big time :spit:

Apoleb
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Indeed, it looks like it did. This isn't about a short isolated period of bad play. She's been crap for 2 months now.

MisterMan
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
LMAO ! Henin loses two tiebreakers and she's in a free-fall decline !!!
What a bunch of idiots !!! It's not like she got crushed by a nobody in Memphis.

spiritedenergy
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
i think Justine is clearly lacking in drive and passion for tennis right now. She's kinda having a Mauresmo syndrome (or Serena's)... But she'll probably get it together for FO or even moreso Wimbledon since I'm sure she WANTS to have it.

I think right now with all the money going on and recognition in women tennis it's tough to remain focused and always having motivation.

NeoZod19
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I think so!!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Define "decline".

Sydney WIN
Australian Open QF
Antwerp WIN
Dubai QF

Yeap... that's a decline.... in the eyes of haters :lol:

Kobra
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
You laugh about Venus, Serena, Sharapova or someone else when they lose against maybe easier opponents, so other laughs about Henin. Where is the prob? :rolleyes:

Henin go down!

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Sydney WIN
Australian Open QF
Antwerp WIN
Dubai QF

Decline? :confused:

last year she didnt lose a match for 5 months, now she's lost 2 already, it's called decline, no?

and please dont include MM Antwerp in it where she was losing sets to players ranked in the 100s

my0118
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Don't you think Henin in 2007 season was too incredible? :tape:

Lunaris
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Henin should retire.

eck
last year she didnt lose a match for 5 months, now she's lost 2 already, it's called decline, no?

and please dont include MM Antwerp in it where she was losing sets to players ranked in the 100s

So I guess we should exclude Venus' MM titles last year, leading to only 1 title won? :tape:

Ntour

yes but that streak started after Wimby, this time last year she lost to safarova and played some terribly scratchy tennis (minus the two finals) to win dubai and doha

i think by the time clay comes around she will be back to herself besides hse has nice break between now and miami to get her ass into gear

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah.... 2 losses = Decline. Whatever you say dude :lol:

FYI, she lost 2 matches before the clay season started last year.

aznunit2k5
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hahaha, Justine got beaten by a grandma. :)

She wasn't really that good to begin with. 2007 was a top players injury plagued year. Franny I think is the faster player with more talent. Henin needed time to set up most of her shots but Franny's topspin was jumping on Justine.

See ya Justine when you announce your retirement.

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM

anyway we'll see in IW, Miami

IMO there will be 2 other beatdowns :smoke:

slamchamp
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think justine isn't going to IW

Mina Vagante
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM

stop saying dude :o

And i don't want to show my excitment :devil:

Ryan
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Just not by Serena it seems.

eck
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM
She isn't, so wishful thinking. :)

Mina Vagante
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM

but by some-one ranked 24 in the world, just doesn't add up does it?

aznunit2k5
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Not by Hingis on cocaine either...

merda2004
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM

that happens to everyone.look at william sisters!!!!they ruled now they are ruled!!!the same with justine.the same with everyone.its time for maria,ana,etc etc
they are not gods to be fit and good enough to win games for ever u know!

AcesHigh
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
wow... she is in a slump, not a decline. Venus and Serena are in decline..and have been for years.

Henin's career has been on an upward swing and this little bump in the road isn't going to stop her.

baleineau
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
she's definitely not hitting the ball as well as before. and she forces so much on the serve and forehand.....

Ryan
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Not by Hingis on cocaine either...

ROTF. Troll. Ok.

A_S
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM
someone looses a couple of matches or has a dip in previously unrivaled form and people are so quick to write them off... i think its some people in this thread who are on the decline not justine...

missvarsha
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I think it's premature to say decline, she will still probably have a standout year - well, a GS QF and two titles already isn't that bad ( by someone with say, Bartoli's standards ;)) but I doubt that Henin will be as dominant as she was last year.
On the other hand, she is in a protracted slump and has been all year. All "ZOMG you dOn'T give Timea/Alla/Katarina/Whozever enough credit !!" caterwauling aside, there is no way Henin should even be being tested by these players and she has promptly lost in two sets when faced with sterner opposition. I doubt Miami is going to end any better.

In my opinion she should bite the bullet and play Indian Wells, and try to get some form going. If Justine is truly to fragile to lose (ooops play) more than two matches in a month then she IS in a serious decline.

sakya23
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Why are venus, serena, etc being mentioned in this thread? We aren't talking about them. This thread is about Henin. She's been in many tight 3 set matches aganist players she shouldn't have been, ranked in the 100's. And she lost to a better player today. Lets be honest the 2007 Justine would have crushed Schiavone today. So its not a "decline", its just a slump. It becomes a decline when she starts losing like this on clay.

papru
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
had to started sometime...

anon57
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't think you can say she's in decline yet. She's definately not playing as well as she was in the latter part of 2007 but we'll have to wait and see if she get get over this later in the year or whethershe's really starting to decline.

Jasmin
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM
From this one match (and I'm no Henin fan) you can't think she is in decline. I can't see it. Henin would have to lose more for me to come to even think about the possibility.

fleemke³
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM
:yawn:
Schiavone is a powerplayer :rolleyes: and Srebotnik also :rolleyes: They both played great matches against a player without match rythm ..

Londoner
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Mystic Mog strikes again!

Same arguments can be applied to S and V. All 3 will be back!

Slutiana
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Please stop. I said please.

Expat
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
the decline wont start till " the clay court specialist " starts to lose on clay

she is in a slump right now
however her true decline will come if she is losing on clay

the other surfaces are not a true measure if she is slumping

cecilija
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
the decline wont start till " the clay court specialist " starts to lose on clay

she is in a slump right now
however her true decline will come if she is losing on clay

the other surfaces are not a true measure if she is slumping

Not really. Justine lost on clay in both 2006 and 2007 and her hardcourt win/loss % has been better lately.

Losing in Dubai where she has never lost is a good indication of where she is at the moment.

iamhe
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I think it's too early to call it a decline. Yes, she didn't play well lately, and she didn't perform as the best player right now. But judging form 4 tourneys to say she's in a decline is too premature I'd say. That being said, I think she's definitely in a bad form. But I think she'll bounce back. Hopefully it won't take too long. At least you should wait longer, e.g. half a year, to see if she is really in a decline.

Wayn77
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Very premature ....

The third set yesterday v Kata, was the best I have seen a scratchy Henin play since USO.

Serving well, coming forward at every opportunity, aggressive in the exchanges.

Dunno what happened in today's big shock, didn't see the match. Watching her this week, this is the best Schiavone has played in a long while.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
score?

Serenidad.
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Serena if you get healthy the tour is yours. Hurry up, please.

DefyingGravity
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Justine's having a rough patch, everyone does. She'll probably win Wimbledon this year, though, because she will get her groove back on the clay, and her confidence will grow

tae04
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Whew thats why I hate this board. Dumb threads after somebody loses.... Henin will be number 1 for at least another yr with all those points LOL

Stamp Paid
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Serena if you get healthy the tour is yours. Hurry up, please.*cackles DOWN!!!* :tape:

espresso
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM
LMAO ! Henin loses two tiebreakers and she's in a free-fall decline !!!
What a bunch of idiots !!! It's not like she got crushed by a nobody in Memphis.

:haha:

missvarsha
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Insisting that there isn't a problem with Justine's form at the moment is as ridiculous as insisting that she is spiraling downwards into depths and despair.
Why can't people here learn to make reasonable analysis which changes with time ? I have said since the beginning of this year that Justine isn't playing well - she managed to win two tournaments (barely) against weak competition, and in her other two got hammered by a top notch player and edged by a mediocre one. This is not to say that she is a washed up old hag who should hang up her rackets - I mean top calibre players like Dementieva, or Vaidisova or Bartoli make their careers like this. The point though is that Henin can't be judged by these standards - she has to have higher standards apply.

She is completely capable of playing better, and I hope she can turn it around soon.

Heninator
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
She's the same player that dominated 2007 and demolished the williams, as soon as she gets her confidence back she'll be fine :clap2:

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
She's the same player that dominated 2007 and demolished the williams, as soon as she gets her confidence back she'll be fine :clap2:

first she get wrecked by a top 10 player, then she gets owned by a top 30 player, the progression seems interesting
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/freyamaenhout/bears/rabbits02.gif

Heninator
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
first she get wrecked by a top 10 player, then she gets owned by a top 30 player, the progression seems interesting

Yes and what has Serena doing lately ? nothing you're just a hater because you know she'll never be as talented or nice as Juju

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Yes and what has Serena doing lately ? nothing you're just a hater because you know she'll never be as talented or nice as Juju

it's called Grand Slam baby :cool:

Heninator
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
it's called Grand Slam baby :cool:

Yes and how do you call her results at the last 4 slams : the golden quarter slam ?

Forehand_Volley
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You mean like crashing out to a qualifier who was playing in her 2nd WTA tournament in the first round of a Tier III? Not everyone can be that GREAT. Speaking of players on decline................

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM
You mean like crashing out to a qualifier who was playing in her 2nd WTA tournament in the first round of a Tier III? Not everyone can be that GREAT. Speaking of players on decline................

I hate Penus, hope this helps

GrafMariaPetraK
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:59 PM
:lol: The thread starter wishes it was the decline of Henin.I'd worry about the players you support instead of Justine:tape:.

Heninator
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
*cackles DOWN!!!* :tape:

Why did you send me a red reputation :confused:

new-york
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
i guess she'll trash our favz later.

Venus is the worst exemple to prove that a bad loss means no more good days.
so sh.
but yeah she's very useful to make people feel better about their favz.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Serena if you get healthy the tour is yours. Hurry up, please.

:tape::tape::tape:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM

If you think 7-6, 7-6 is being owned, then I guess a 6-3, 6-4 loss is a "crushing" then :lol:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I hate Penus, hope this helps

You hate Venus, you hate Justine. Anyone one else, hater? :o

By the way, calling her "Penus".... now that's "classy"! :yeah:

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
You hate Venus, you hate Justine. Anyone one else, hater? :o

Bartoli completes the trinity

frontier
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I think she is tired from all those matches she played last year.I think her fortunes will not be the same like last year,she was carefree in 2007 after getting rid of Pierre Yves thats why she was winning a lot.This year all those matches are catching up with her unless she takes a prolonged break from now till April she will continue to struggle.She has been struggling and most of her 2008 matches were 3 setters,thats a lot of mileage.I still think she is a good player for someone her size,but today belonged to Fran.:p

Jakeev
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Bartoli completes the trinity
This is just the board's latest moron folks so why worry about what it has to say? It will go the way of the Ballbusters and Cris Seniors soon enough.......

VeeJJ
Feb 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Justine is sinking fast just like the williams'. They all need to retire their time is almost up. They should quite while they still have some dignity.

vettipooh
Feb 29th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Justine is sinking fast just like the williams'. They all need to retire their time is almost up. They should quite while they still have some dignity.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And it's quit... without an e! :rolleyes:

parn2257
Feb 29th, 2008, 01:32 AM
really...????

cocco80
Feb 29th, 2008, 01:38 AM
OMG...
poor Justine..
poor anyone who ever reaches #1 cuz there will be tons of ppl here just waiting for them to lose so they can gloat and feel like they've achieved something..

Yes...their biggest achievement is starting this pathetic thread and every other similar to this one (concerning any player not just Justine).

Serena-rules-no1
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
BUMP

dedicated to ZeroSOFIndignity

Serena-rules-no1
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
and of course a special dedication to my official red dots distributor Matt01 :worship:

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
This must be a joke. Justine's decline has not started or whatever. Every player has a bad day. Today was Justine's.

Kworb
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
This must be a joke. Justine's decline has not started or whatever. Every player has a bad day. Today was Justine's.

Her third bad day of the year :help:

She's missing accuracy

Jasmin
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't thinkk Justine is declining. I just think Serena got over her relationship/bad break up and she's back. She's also doing better with her injuries.

kwilliams
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM
In fairness it's a bit too soon to say that but I don't think her struggles are over just yet. We'll see how she does on clay.

adeegee
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Very good thread, absolutely spot on :yeah:

This thread starter is WTAW's answer to mediter :hatoff:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
:yawn:

Nothing to do but to spew hate on "your hated list", I guess.

You remind me of someone from these boards long time ago.... or is that you, Pierre?

Serena-rules-no1
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
You remind me of someone from these boards long time ago.... or is that you, Pierre?

I dont have such gay name

3Dcool
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM

Being beaten by a player like Serena isn't "being overpowered easily" dude =\

Serena-rules-no1
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Being beaten by a player like Serena isn't "being overpowered easily" dude =\

cant you see when the thread was started? :o

iWill
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM

Um WS haters say that everytime they lose a match and now Justine has been owned a few times already this year... not saying shes on the decline but shes proving why most people refused to believe the hype last year.

evan2907
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
And the decline of Serena has started when ? Fev 2005 ?
Decline of Sharapova ? Last year ?

So it's good for Justine. Serena and Sharapova won GS even though they declined. Justine can do it too.
:devil:

toasino
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
There were several long close games in the first set that Justine could have won, but Serena was just better today. Justine^s backhand and serve were awful today. Justine, I think due to the weather, was never comfortable in Miami. She seemed more tired than usual after long rallies. Whatever, Serena played mostly very well and thoroughly deserved her win today. Justine was certainly not the same player who won the USO last year.

Mileen
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Um WS haters say that everytime they lose a match and now Justine has been owned a few times already this year... not saying shes on the decline but shes proving why most people refused to believe the hype last year.

You are delusional. Pathetic.

Shinjiro
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
her hardcourt form of last year's USO may be gone, but she'll still dominate on clay.

cecilija
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
her hardcourt form of last year's USO may be gone, but she'll still dominate on clay.

If she keeps playing like this, it will only get worse on clay.

cellophane
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM

Winning 2 out of 4 GS of the year is hype? :spit:

Jakeev
Apr 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM

Sounds like you are excited about that. Pretty crappy thing to want to happen to a top player considering you are a "tennis fan" and all.

Serena-rules-no1
Apr 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
Sounds like you are excited about that. Pretty crappy thing to want to happen to a top player considering you are a "tennis fan" and all.

you make it look like I wished her to get injured or smth :scratch:

Matt01
Apr 1st, 2008, 09:24 PM
and of course a special dedication to my official red dots distributor Matt01 :worship:

You're such a loser :p
Pathetic.

More red dots will be coming soon.

Ballbasher
Apr 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Justine completely fails to back up her year,but I won't say that's a decline at all :shrug: It often happens!

misael
Apr 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
That's a ridiculous statement, the same has been said about serena and she bounces back to win slams, justine will bbounce back, She's a great champion as well as Serena.

danieln1
Apr 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Good thing that this thread got bumped, because now it´s true that Henin is in serious slump right now, unfortunately she might still win the French, she´s lucky that the hard court season is over, otherwise she would still lose more!

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
Justine set a high standard last year.
She's #1 by 2000 points and holding 2 majors. And she's in a huge slump.

Greenout
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I think people should know the truth. I held back from posting on WTA world. But..

It's not a slump, but part of the plan. Justine actually plans to retire soon. Most likely next year. The points won't have to be back up - it will be fresher to leave this way.

I

cellophane
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
I think people should know the truth. I held back from posting on WTA world. But..

It's not a slump, but part of the plan. Justine actually plans to retire soon. Most likely next year. The points won't have to be back up - it will be fresher to leave this way.

I

:confused::confused::confused:

Greenout
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

Look at the official website. The photo galleries haven't been updated since Melbourne. Things are coming to an end. She's not that interested in the battle anymore. Maybe if Kim didn't retire early - there would still be a rival.

Greenout
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
But since there's an Academy in Orlando- perhaps this will give Justine & Carlos more rivals (Boliteri) and people to pick fights with to spur her on to greatness.

Hopefully - the ugly scoreline will have really gotten to them. Mind you Serena isn't a Bartoli and it's not that humiliating. But the gloating and the media insults should be poor and I don't think Justine can hide away in Monaco ignorant of everything this time.

cellophane
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
:lol:

Since when has Justine playing ever been about Kim. And she has rivals... she's had some bad losses this year, so this will keep her motivated for sure. As well as winning Wimbledon and winning more slams and breaking the records? She has plenty to be motivated about!

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Sharapova lost to Aga and Vika in 2 straight matches. Then came her big YEC run.
Justine can turn it around just as easily.
She's won 7 majors in the last 5 years. No one else has more than 3 in these last 5 years, last 20 majors.
I wouldn't count Justine out, with 3 majors and an Olympics coming up.

nikita771
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I'm far from being a Justine fan, but I don't see her decline happening. Everyone is entitled to an occasional beat down. Only time will tell if the rest of the field is starting to catch up with her, but I wouldn't write her off anytime soon.

VeeJJ
Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
where have u been. I could have told you that two months ago.

hayleytrotter
Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
The same thing was said about Roger last year (AND this year!) When he lost a lot after the australian open.

He then went on to win hamburg, reach the final of RG, win wimbledon and the USO.

No excuses for Justines performance tonight, but im sure she can bounce back.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:46 AM

Au contraire.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Good lawd!

I tried to avoid this thread when it first reared its ugly head, but now...

Anyway, Justine is far from on her decline and far from over- unless she retires prematurely. The reality is, it's just EXTREMELY hard to maintain an amazing level of play in the WTA. It just is. I mean think about what the players have to do in order to stay on top- with everyone gunnin' for 'em. It's gotta be like walking a tight-rope. One little slip and...

This slump was inevitable. She'll dig deep and find her friggin' game again (damn it!). Though it may not rise to the exact same level, she'll win Majors again.

OZTENNIS
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
No matter how much some of you dislike Justine Henin, there is no way you can deny what a great champion she has been. Henin has raised the bar in terms of work ethic, commitment and determination. She is one of the greatest players of all time, the holder of 7 grand slam singles titles and the current holder of both the French and US titles. She is also the reigning Olympic champion and the dual defending champion at the Sony Ericsson WTA Championships.

If that equates to a form slump, I wish that on an Australian player :lol: She has played 5 tournaments this year, winning 2 and has an impressive 16-3 win/loss record so far this season. She has beaten players of the calibre of Ivanovic and Kuznetsova throughout the course of the season so far. And all because of a thrashing from Sharapova at the Australian Open and this loss to Serena in Miami, all the haters are saying that the decline has begun...WTF? Sharapova played awesome tennis in tha match, and there was no one in the world who could have beaten her that day, as much as I hate to admit it. Justine was suffering from a knee problem as well which wouldn't have helped her cause.

And this loss to Serena was not a surprise, but the scoreline was, I do admit. But hey, she has only lost 7 matches in the past 16 months, so she was obviously long overdue for a bad match. Serena would have been dead keen to get a win over Justine again, and we know how intimidating Serena is when she has someone in her sights.

Now the clay season is upon us. Justine is invincible on the stuff, particularly at Roland Garros. She has won there four times in the past five years, and would have won 5 in a row if she wasn't sick in 2004. She has multiple titles in Charleston, Berlin, Rome and Warsaw as well. She will do well on the claycourts again this year and go into the grasscourt season full of confidence after claiming her 8th grand slam title. the only way she won't win at Roland Garros is if she is injured or sick. Sharapova moves like Bambi on ice on clay, the Williams sisters have failed to make any sort of impression of the dirt since 2002 and Ivanovic and Kuznetsova simply don't measure up to the Queen!

So most of the haters are hoping, not knowing that the reign of Henin has come to an end...keep dreaming people, keep dreaming ;)

*Jean*
Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
:bounce:

iWill
Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
You are delusional. Pathetic.

My point exactly! Justine can get bageled twice in a year and her fans make excuses for her being tired or not playing her best. (which could be legit) but last year when Serena lost to the best player on tour three times and she was finished and people were questioning whether she'd ever beat her or any other players like her again.
You can't be mad for Serena fans doing the same thing to you as Justine fans did to us ALL last year!

Pathetic....... :rolleyes:

mm1147
Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
decline? i dont think henin will decline that easily

In The Zone
Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
I don't think Henin is in decline. To expect 2007 results is unreasonable. But Henin will be a force and a contender, if not the favorite in every tournament she enters. In fact, the only tournament in the near future that she will not be the favorite is Wimbledon. But even then, she could well be the favorite. She was last year.

InTheGloaming
Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM

I agree. It shows that no one at the minute can dominate for very long.

Talula
Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Serena and Justine have a huge rivalry and can bring the best and worst out of each other. I think that Miami was 'one of those matches' where Serena really went for it and Justine didn't. I don't think it signals anything.

MaBaker
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
She is in a bad form now, but clay season is about to begin. I'm sure she will gain her confidence back and win at least 2 GS this year. Hopefully Wimbledon will be one of them :angel:

Steffica Greles
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think we'll truly be able to gauge how bad Henin's year is by the time the French Open is over with.

She could lose first round in Berlin, Warsaw, Rome, wherever, but if she comes away with an 8th grandslam title and 5th French Open, then the cries that she's in a decline will quieten down.

Steffica Greles
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Serena and Justine have a huge rivalry and can bring the best and worst out of each other. I think that Miami was 'one of those matches' where Serena really went for it and Justine didn't. I don't think it signals anything.

Some players just get flat days, like you say.

I remember at Wimbledon 2004, Serena destroyed Capriati, who looked like she barely turned up. She couldn't have hit a barn door at ten paces!

But Capriati recovered and then took Serena out of the 2004 U.S Open.

(It's sad that the latter tournament is our last real memory of Jennifer, little did we know at the time.)