PDA

View Full Version : Yuri's gesture after the match

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Did anyone understand what he was actually signalling?

He put his hoodie over his head and then signalled it, it looked sorta nasty - it looked like either I'm going to Kill you, I'm a cool American gangsta or something possibly something in between :confused:

LeRoy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think he was trying to say that she killed Henin out there tonight.

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

I thought it maybe that, but he seemed to do it when Henin was looking that way - if that was the case then it was pretty mean :o

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
LOL! He put the hoodie back on and do his signal thing then put the hoodie off :o

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
I didn't like the action. I thought it was a bit petty.
She won the match. She knows she kicked Justine's ass. He didn't have to go out of his way to do something like that.

And it especially looked creepy in that as Mary Carillo mentioned "unabomber" outfit.

AsTrOnOtUs
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
This guy is crazy....he's acting like an extremist, it's just tennis, it's a game....

goldlion
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
This guy is crazy....he's acting like an extremist, it's just tennis, it's a game....

I think this was just a normal action?

If she has not won, she would receive these critics but others. They never stop.

Who cares about what he does?

jacobruiz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Maria laughed about the hood in her interview after the last time Yuri had it on. She said he looked like an "assassin" and he shouldn't wear it - maybe he was telling her he would never wear it again since Maria played so well without it (the hood).:lol:

scoobsuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Oh come ON people - he was joking with the whole ASSASSIN thing that Maria was laughing about earlier in the tournament, putting his hood up and doing the neck slash gesture.

I don't like the guy but even I could see it was a joke between him and Maria.

People really do see what they want to see, don't they.

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Oh come ON people - he was joking with the whole ASSASSIN thing that Maria was laughing about earlier in the tournament, putting his hood up and doing the neck slash gesture.

I can understand if it was a joke between the two of them, the part I wouldn't like is if Justine saw it. I mean Justine certainly didn't throw the match, the first set really could have gone eitherway.

scoobsuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I can understand if it was a joke between the two of them, the part I wouldn't like is if Justine saw it. I mean Justine certainly didn't throw the match, the first set really could have gone eitherway.
From my recollection, Justine was already on her way back to the locker room.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
You are right :shrug:

Grice
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
he was being really rude.. it seemed like the hood represented the hood that is put over a criminal who is about to be hung.. cos his slit his hand across his throat which means to kill.. whatever it is, it was totally uncalled for and so ungracious.

merda2004
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM

He put his hoodie over his head and then signalled it, it looked sorta nasty - it looked like either I'm going to Kill you, I'm a cool American gangsta or something possibly something in between :confused:

how about....just finish...finish celebrating etc etc
it never crossed ur mind ha?probably thats what he was saying!!!go and shower/change/massage and rest!!!
thats what i think!!!without being biased

*W*
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/46/fullj.eb65ca0a334391b9dd6d4ff98f1dcc53/eb65ca0a334391b9dd6d4ff98f1dcc53-getty-78841309mb296_australian_op.jpg

:D

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
He also did a hand signal though...

schorsch
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
To be honest, I really got scared, cause I didnt expect this kind of gesture, lol. But then I remembered that Masha said something about assassin and it all became very clear to me :p

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
From my recollection, Justine was already on her way back to the locker room.

I thought she looked up as she was leaving just as he did it, thats the way it looked on Tv anyway :confused:

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
The drama queens on this site kill me.

nouf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
the video
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iMbwXS-v8

scoobsuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
the video
Thanks for this.

Like I said, Justine was already gone.

Clearly a joke aimed at his daughter and I can understand his elation.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm so getting one of these hoodies:
http://www.espnshop.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?model_nbr=80987&sku=32882064&SID=9436&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEO-_-Feeds-_-Froogle-_-null

SharapovaFan16
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
the video

You can definitely tell Yuri was joking with Maria about the hoodie thing, and Justine had already dipped. You guys are silly.

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
OMG...is it that big of a deal? :rolleyes:

Pink Princess
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yuri is very graceful!!!

bellascarlett
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Why am I not surprised that Yuri is being the star performer in here after that fantastic match by his daughter? :lol:

He was clearly talking to Maria. :lol: I think we all are/were surprised at how badly Maria killed Henin.

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Yuri is an embarrassment. That's not new.

Matt01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I don't care if Justine was already in her locker room or still looking. Why should she look to Devilpova's father anyway?

Joking or not, it was a gesture that you shouldn't do in public. Unclassy and disgusting. As often from him and his grunting daughter.

égalité
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
He was just giving a bit of commentary on what happened in the match. :tape:

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't care if Justine was already in her locker room or still looking. Why should she look to Devilpova's father anyway?

Joking or not, it was a gesture that you shouldn't do in public. Unclassy and disgusting. As often from him and his grunting daughter.
It was also stupid of him to turn around and put his finger to his mouth like he was taunting some of Justine's fans. He's suppose to be bigger than that. Anyhow, Maria looked so happy it brought a smile on my face.
Congrats to her!!!!

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
He's flashing his Russian Mafia gang sign.

SF

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you watched it again he was pulling something not making knife sign althogh I like this sign a lot ,

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
He clearly did a throat-slitting gesture.

My god.

Underdog
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
He seems to like the attention and being noticed... and that's not a good thing.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/3/004.gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/3/004.gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)Love you Yuri http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/3/004.gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/3/004.gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

goldenboi356
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
he is the main reason why i totally hate pova

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
he is the main reason why i totally hate pova

please look at your avator , at least Yuri is funny not like rude Andy

LANGAM
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
He seem to be joking with his daughter there. I don't see what the big hu-ha is all about. Surely a they are allowed a to share a joke in public.

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
That picture is an instant classic.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM

Exactly! It was a joke people lol :rolleyes:

cogent53
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Yep, definitely him having a joke after she told him he looked like a terrorist! I'm not a fan of his (does anyone know what her mother looks like? Tall and blonde I guess.) But I got it as a joke.
If he is a Russian, why does he yell 'vamos'?? Is it the same in Spanish and Russian?

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
This is a fashion statement. The man exudes style

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/46/fullj.eb65ca0a334391b9dd6d4ff98f1dcc53/eb65ca0a334391b9dd6d4ff98f1dcc53-getty-78841309mb296_australian_op.jpg
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 22: Yuri Sharapova, father of Maria Sharapova of Russia watches the quarter-final match against Justine Henin of Belgium on day nine of the Australian Open 2008 at Melbourne Park on January 22, 2008 in Melbourne, Australia

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
He is one stylish man lol

Matt01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
This is a fashion statement. The man exudes style

That was not the gesture I was talking about. I have no problems with that.

It was the "other gesture" that was simply shocking and undecent.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
The throat slash is Yuri's new thing.
At RG he'll be giving the finger to everyone

Matt01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM

Disgusting.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM

:lol::lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
it was one of the funniest things i've ever seen since richard danced on the commentators roof at wimby...just hilarious!!! :spit:

eugreene2
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM

:D

Yuri is srt8t ghetto. :lol::tape:

Brett.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=0orV-WmnB-o&feature=related

Are they saying in Russian? What did they say? :confused:

Uranus
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Yuri is creepy. :tape:

Nico_E
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:57 AM
I think it was pretty disrespectful myself... and i thought he was looking over at where Carlos Rodriguez was sitting when he made the throat cut sign.... altho Carlos is a tosser himself.

at the end of the day it all evens out and backfires, coz when someone beats Maria... it just makes him look the idiot he is.

Buitenzorg
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
He is a big time moron anyway! :mad: LOW CLASS person that he is!

the cat
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:32 AM

Kitty, Yuri's throat gesture was to try to keep Maria from doing an on court television interview with Australian television after she beat Henin. But it didn't work because Masha did the interview anyway. According to Maria's press conference after she beat Henin the Sharapova's have not been happy with how the media is treating Maria at this years Australian Open. Maria should not be getting involved with how she's being treated by the media because that will only take her mind off her game.

edificio
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
No idea what this gesture was all about, but it seems as though it can be summed up as: that's just Yuri.

edificio
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Kitty, Yuri's throat gesture was to try to keep Maria from doing an on court television interview with Australian television after she beat Henin. But it didn't work because Masha did the interview anyway. According to Maria's press conference after she beat Henin the Sharapova's have not been happy with how the media is treating Maria at this years Australian Open. Maria should not be getting involved with how she's being treated by the media because that will only take her mind off her game.

Why? What have they been saying/doing?

PaulHopkins
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM
ahhh leave him alone! That photo above is great :D Gangsta Yuri!

the cat
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
Why? What have they been saying/doing?
I'm not sure. But a reporter asked Maria about it in her press conference after she beat Henin. Masha sort of dodged the question but it's apparent Yuri wasn't happy with some things written about Maria's game. Why he would care is beyond me. He should just support Maria and not cause her any problems to the point where the media asks her about him. Yuri is her father not her son but here Masha is again trying to clean up after another one of her dad's messes. :rolleyes:

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Yuri is awesome. I think it takes a lot to survive in Russia, unless you understand how the culture is there you can't understand Yuri or Maria's drive for survival and success. Russia is simply harsh and brutal, you are lucky to make it out alive.

Svetlana.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:38 AM
Yuri is awesome. I think it takes a lot to survive in Russia, unless you understand how the culture is there you can't understand Yuri or Maria's drive for survival and success. Russia is simply harsh and brutal, you are lucky to make it out alive.

Are you talking about your own experience out there or from reading/listening Western media?

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
I have a minor in political science, I studied and talked to many people about Russia, read many books, and I see the news every day. Russia is brutal.

drake3781
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
he was being really rude.. it seemed like the hood represented the hood that is put over a criminal who is about to be hung.. cos his slit his hand across his throat which means to kill.. whatever it is, it was totally uncalled for and so ungracious.

OMG. :tape:

Somebody started another thread, "Yuri Needs to Get a Life", and I didn't read that thread but when I see Yuri I now think of that title and completely agree with it.

Svetlana.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I have a minor in political science, I studied and talked to many people about Russia, read many books, and I see the news every day. Russia is brutal.

I think you see only what you want to see...

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
I think you see only what you want to see...

Tell me what I should see then, please.

Is Russia a happy place with butterflies, ice cream cones, polite mafia and cherry flavored Chernobyl ?

Svetlana.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

Is Russia a happy place with butterflies, ice cream cones, polite mafia and cherry flavored Chernobyl ?

:) you just proved my point

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

All those millions of Russians must survive for any other reasons but luck , you should use your mind if someone told you something very general and very harsh like that , cause first it's not possible and second it's not true , you're the one who don't understand the culture , you can't totally understand the culture of country like Russia even if you lived there for 2 years so how can you say you understand it by books and some friends ? , I am not against you but saying that someone is lucky to survive from his country is not right .
Telling that you studied politics makes your statement worse cause from your study you should know more than us that talking generally like that is joking .

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM

You should see the educational system of Russia one of the best on the world , the Russian universties , Russian novels , music , ballet , sport , etc

corstea4life
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I like the guys style!

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:23 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=509177&in_page_id=1811

That's a pertspective from the UK. I will summarize because I'm not sure you can read the whole thing.

- The heirs of Stalin's secret police are running Russia

- Russia today is the epitome of bullying and crookedness.

- The independent media have shrivelled, with television in particular coming almost completely under the authorities' control.

- Almost every channel for complaint and dissent is blocked.

- Judicial and bureaucratic harassment, as well as physical threats, deter all but the bravest from speaking out. The authorities increasingly use forcible incarceration in psychiatric hospitals, the most loathsome weapon in the Soviet arsenal of repression, against their critics.

- Russia is being run by a corrupt, incompetent and despotic regime, and the huge windfall of high oil prices is being squandered.

- Abysmal standards of public health, dangerous workplaces, endemic alcoholism and dreadful road safety make male life expectancy only 58.6 years - worse than in Laos or Yemen.

Sounds brutal to me.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM

And Russia is a country where 20 millions got killed on WW2 althogh they could've used one of the bombs that used on Japan .
The Chernobyl was an accident , the reactor was done for electrical supplies on Ukraine .

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:31 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=509177&in_page_id=1811

How can you bring any article about any president when your president is Bush ?

saniapower
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
You should see the educational system of Russia one of the best on the world , the Russian universties , Russian novels , music , ballet , sport , etc
I second that

thrust
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM

For Yuri Maria^s tennis is his meal ticket. Yuri is a pig!

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
They may have a great educational system, but that has nothing to do with the brutal living conditions outside of the university system.

thrust
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
How can you bring any article about any president when your president is Bush ?

Bush is NOT a dictator like the Czar Putin.

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
And Russia is a country where 20 millions got killed on WW2 althogh they could've used one of the bombs that used on Japan .
The Chernobyl was an accident , the reactor was done for electrical supplies on Ukraine .

Oh, I see you support the palestinian terrorists, well, that explains a whole lot right there. :rolleyes:

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:47 AM
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080120/97381330.html

Saakashvili called the snap elections following mass street protests in Tbilisi in early November fueled by popular discontent with his alleged totalitarian tendencies and the country's economic woes. He ordered a brutal police crackdown on protesters and briefly imposed state of emergency, triggering criticism from his Western allies.

News from inside the former Russia republic stating that things are brutal right now. You can't make this stuff up, folks. Russia has always been this way, it always will be.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
If you like to read one article from here and there and build your conclusion any thing I will told you will have no meaning but just arguing .
goodbye .

matty
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
What a classless freak.

Ova
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:55 AM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5037/is_199910/ai_n18279008

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0406/S00283.htm

http://www.nixoncenter.org/publications/articles/12_14_99Chechnya.htm

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/europe/russian.html

http://www.therussiajournal.com/node/52865

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS33784+01-Dec-2007+PRN20071201

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/02/19/dl1901.xml

Of course you could ignore the world media and deny Russia is brutal, but I could keep on giving you an endless supply of news stating my case.