PDA

View Full Version : THE STREAK IS OVER: AO QF: (5) Sharapova WHIPS (1) Henin 6-4, 6-0

Pages : [1] 2

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/48/1%20(116).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

CONGRATULATIONS

http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/47/hangs%20(1238).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/47/hangs%20(1238).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/47/hangs%20(1238).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

She was playing soooooooooo perfect
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/38/1%20(550).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/38/1%20(553).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

Josh.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
that was nuts, congrates maria!

mdterp01
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! :bounce::worship::woohoo:

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!! I don't ever think I've gone from feeling so low to feeling so high. Maria stops the consecutive streak wins and defeats peak Justine!!!! GO MARIA!! :yeah:

Justine? :help::tape::lol: You got your ass WAXED!!!! :wavey: Will that be cream cheese or jelly with that bagel?

MARIA IS BACK!!! I don't see anyone beating her now. Thats right...no one!!!

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH MARIA!!!! You did the tennis world a favor!!! :worship:

goldenslam888
marias best tennis ever. nuff said

G1Player2
:lol: Henin definitely wasn't there tonight although Maria played great. Henin got a beatdown tonight. :lol:

mboyle
We've always known Maria was the better player. When her shots go in, Justine doesn't have a chance. Yay Maria! Justine played well--especially in the first set, but even when Justine was playing tough and being mentally tough, Maria was better.

supergrunt
:haha:

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
BAGEL :haha:

LeRoy.
A bagel to boot.

Maria sooooooooooo impressive. Playing the best tennis she has ever played. She has lost such few games against players like Lindsay Daveport, Elena Demetieva and Justine Henin.

Respect. :worship: bowdown:

SharapovaFan16
Mods need to merge all 5 of these threads

supergrunt
karma's a b!tch for those Henin fans

bandabou
wow...and I thought Serena was bad.

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Justine's:

First serve always went down the middle.
Backhand was not on.
Volley is extremely stupid.
Challenges at all the wrong calls.

Maria's:

Serve was excellent.
Backhand was excellent.
Gonna win the tournament.

kiwifan
that was worth staying up until 2:30am for. :devil:

now its bedtime. :zzz:

miura
Awesome match! Can definately see the trophy in reach!

miura
Awesome match! Can definately see the trophy is in reach!

TheBoiledEgg
Masha was sublime :banana: :D :yeah: :D

now to kick Jankobitch's ass

Stamp Paid
What an amazing display. Henin had no answers. Long Live Jehovah, Allah is dead.

Masha was unbelievable.

ce
:worship:

mckyle.
yum yum yum. MAJOR PWNAGE!

DemWilliamsGulls
And Justine is suppose to be the solution to power tennis....NOT TODAY!...JEPOVA...tore dat ass up this evenin. Comes to show..Justine only dominates when other players (Sharapova, Williams Sisters, Mauresmo) when they are not match fit and injured...props to Maria Jepova...you took it to her homegirl...you did not dissapoint!

Mightymirza
:haha: justine :tape: I know next time justine is gonna be ready for pova..:o But Pova was flawless today..Best I have ever seen her play!!! Kudos..

madamtennis
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
fantastic Maria.Justine bagaled:lol:

Serena-rules-no1
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9788/missingteethlq6.gif

bye bye Justine

enjoy your no.1 spot but only for a few months more

Aravanecaravan
"How do you solve a problem called Ma-RI-Ahhhh???"

Pttthhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tennisation
OMG a bagel for Justine:haha::haha::haha:

RsaibotD
María played better all previous rounds, I think it was expected, congrats Maria :yeah:

eck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM

Right back at Rena fans. :)

spiritedenergy
OMG:tape::help:

Ana doesn't stand a chance against Sharapova, hope Venus wins at this point:sad:

TennisPlayingFox
:eek: Damn Maria! That was awesome! Justine just couldn't find an answer! Awesome match Maria! Good luck in the semis!

oleada
Justine did not play to her highest level, but Maria played amazing. She completely outplayed Justine in every area. As a Henin fan, this is very frustrating. :lol: After today, I can't see anyone else winning this AO.

strawberry.babou
I'm still trying to figure out wtf just happened....

Scotso
Impressive display from Sharapova.

cindy
oh masha! we so wanted this match! congrats! wonderful match! wonderful score! I can hardly believe it! keep that level masha! congrats again!

Huntress555
Maria :hearts::worship:

Awesome tennis! This is great, now no matter what the result, one of my faves in the final!!

Go Masha!

saint2
Henin wont win USO. Serena wont win it too. And I have a feeling that VW also wont be a winner. Among rest of girls Maria is the only one who have a slam, and she is contender#1 right now...But we'll see. Now one thing its certain-its better slam than ALL in 2007...

LeRoy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Give her the trophy already. Very rarely have i seen ANYONE play such a great match. totally over powering her opppnent.

Rod the Bama
What a great performance from Maria. :clap2: It is one of the best matches i`ve ever seen her play. She showed a lot of brillant shotmaking and much improved movement. What else is there to be said other than it was a great win for Maria. It`s great to see her end Justine`s winning streak and in the process serve up another bagel. :D

Daniel
Well done Maria :clap2:

goldlion
oh my god this was stunning.

Henin somehow really stopped her winning streak.

Marionated
Maria:) Love the bagel. Justine:wavey:

goldenslam888
nice to see her playing the tennis shes capable of. good luck the rest of the way. maria has added about 5 more dimensions to her game.

Tennisation
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Justine & Serena shit in their panties today :haha:

Polikarpov
Maria vs Ana for the Final!

hablo
I LUV you Sharpie

but just for this match. :lol:

And people were laughing at Momo when she got bagelled by Sharpie at the US2006!

Anyhow, now I'm cheering for Jankovic but I think if Sharpie plays like this, the Serb has no chance! ;)

(Now maybe comparisons to Roger Federer will stop, when it comes to Justine?)

Natalicious
:haha: bagel

DemWilliamsGulls
I could tell Jepova was going to take it to her. Justine has not played that well all tournament. All the girls she whipped up on were not great players. Justine did not play bad..her serve is what let her down...Masha executed POWER tennis VERY WELL..(which has always put Henin in her place) and Henin had no answers...even when she tried to mix it up. So much for the almighty Henin...she and her fans has been HUMBLED! YOU GO MASHA!

CORIA01
yes!!!

furrykitten
Maria humiliated Justine!!

What a thrashing, well done Maria :hug:

Wayn77
Awesome performance from Sharapova - SIMPLY AWESOME.

Shame she's going out in the semi-finals. :unsure:

starin
:worship: Sharapova. Amazing stuff. She will def. win the title. Only concern is that she didn't peak too early. If she loses to Jankovic after playing like this then :tape::help:

Henin :confused: A little passive and looked like she was having trouble breathing.

Wasn't Henin supposed to be the best player of her generation and the most dominant player ever? Wasn't she supposed to win the golden slam? I forget now :confused: Anyhoo I expect her to still at least win the FO.

Henin was just out of it today...her and Serena both played poorly. Both of the same generation....is this the changing of the guard? The only players left of that generation in the draw are Venus and Hantuchova. And knowing both of them I wouldnt' be surprised if they both lost. Could be the youngest slam ever.

meb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Maria's domination :eek: :worship:

Avid Merrion
:eek: wow, congrats Maria! :worship:

that's fair brightened up my morning so it has....;)

nbaker53
OWNED.

I don't think Maria has won it yet. Jankovic plays similar to Henin, so I see her winning that. But if Venus or Ivanovic comes out of the bottom half, they have the same game as Maria and it will be a completely different match.

eck

bye bye Justine

Yes, at least it will be given to Maria :)

FrOzon
To be honest, I wantend Justine to win this but respect and congratulations to Maria! She was so strong!

dearplastic
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
That... is what you call a spanking.

Shafanovic.
Great performance from Maria Sharapova... now she can beat anyone.. definitely :worship:
Next up... Jelena Jankovic..

I like them both but I would like Sharapova to win.

Dan23
Vamooos Masha :clap2:

Harvs
WOW AMAZING MATCH... henin played great, but maria was incredible... one of the best displays of womens tennis ive ever seen

Iceland
Wondeful tennis played by Maria, more determined, inspired & aggressive than Justine. Justine didn't try much things though, she was just defending all the time or putting her shots in the middle of the court.
Great match with lots of impressive points :yeah:.

Ben.
:woohoo: Fantastic win Masha :yeah: She played some beautiful tennis & just completely outplayed Justine at her own game. That was some of the best tennis that she has ever played & this just shows that when she is at her best no one can stop her! Keep it going Masha & withe very match she has gotten better. Plus she had some nice finesse in the match as well too :worship:

Justine :hug: played well in the first set, but she just couldn't sustain it in the end.

stevos
I've never been so happy about staying up all night. :worship:
Best. Tennis. Moment. Ever. Almost cried.

Maria, you have no idea how much love for you I have right now. A FUCKING BAGEL OVER JUSTINE?! This is epic epic epic.

:sobbing:

Basically...2007=shattered.

fleemke³
All credit to Maria! Great serve, little unforced errors, ...
@Justine: :sad: You played very passive ... not used to see you not fighting :sad:

Score isn't totally reflecting the game imo a 6-4 6-3 was a more realistic score. And yes that bagel hurts ;)

spriwi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
maria playing amazing stuff here. :hatoff:

Harvs
henins first bagel since 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Do It
Amazing :bowdown:

Bagel :eek: :bowdown:

majuu
We've always known Maria was the better player. When her shots go in, Justine doesn't have a chance. Yay Maria! Justine played well--especially in the first set, but even when Justine was playing tough and being mentally tough, Maria was better.

hahahahahha ok ...that would have to be a serious matter of opinion.

Congrats Maria, you were just way to good today and you deserve this win.

Sefo
Impressive win! Maria was suffocating Justine! And Justine didn't play bad at all.

Droolv
Maria :eek: :yeah:

Justine :help:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think I may explode from happiness http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/36/000-c%20(30).gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

maximus82
Maria fans - congrats--she played lights out tennis and really kept Henin out of the match. I predicted that Maria would beat Henin, but didn't expect a beat-down like this!

Williams fans - please go back under the bridge with the other trolls...root for your faves to win, not your least faves to lose.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
I was very impressed by Maria's play. At first, I wasn't but she made a believer out of me. I really think she is going to win this year's AO. She is just playing too well this year. I'm a fan of Venus (and Serena), but I think Sharapova will beat anyone should she get to the final.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Very, very expected win. Everyone who knew how they had been playing in the previous rounds knew this was going to happen.
Maria played awesome tennis, some of the shots were unbelievable, I'm happy that she proved the haters wrong once again.
Go Maria and win the title :D

F-R-E-A-K
:woohoo:

Maria was very impressive. :eek: :worship: Awesome display from maria. :hearts:
Definately the best tennis she has ever played. :D :hearts:

Justine. :hug:

Martian Jeza
And the 1st baggel of tha Belgian bitch is a fact ! Thx god she's out and by Maria : Well done, Masha ! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

anon57
Impressive play from Sharapova, I thought she would have a slight edge going into the match but I certainly wasn't expecting this type of scoreline. Congrats to her

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was sleeping!!! Damn I need to see this match!:bigrcry: :bigcry:

But Maria, what was that? I'm over the mooon! You're my Queen :bowdown:

Chance
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah Sharpy was very impressive and now has a great chance to win the AUS OPEN.........
Justine competed well, but hitting down the middle and relying on her second serve wasn't going to cut it...

Aaron68
That was totally ridiculous! Masha just absolutely kicked Justine's butt. The same Justine who had won 32 matches in a row. Maria DISMANTLED her!

Consider this: Her last two matches, against Dementieva and Henin, she has lost a TOTAL of *six* games.

That was by far the best I have ever seen her play, even better than her Wimbledon and US Open wins. She had it all, tonight. Her angles were amazing. Her serve was just sublime. She played well at the net. She was aggressive and she never let up (except one tight game).

Whatever Justine threw at her, Maria had an answer to it. That was a totally comprehensive victory. You could tell, after it was over, even Maria was basically laughing at how insane it was! I don't think even she believed it. :)

Congrats Masha! That was a match for the ages.

And I think that if she plays even close to the way she has been playing, there's not a prayer for anyone else. She's just absolutely on fire.

Sharakim
I watched the match on a french live stream video. It was extraordinary. I'm just so happy for Maria right now. She had such a tough year in 2007. A lot of people were doubting her in this tournament (I must admit I worried about her chances in this match) but she's proving a lot of us wrong! I love you Maria and I hope you succeed in capturing your first AO title on Saturday.

I have a lot of respect for Justine Henin. She was down 0-3 in the opening set and fought back to 4-5. She almost turned the set around IMO but Maria was too strong today. Still a 32 match streak is very impressive and Henin fans have faith Justine will be back.

I'm just very happy now, I've been a Maria fan since her Wimbledon victory in 04 and I don't have the words to describe my emotions while watching the match. All I can say is god bless Maria Sharapova and Justine Henin.

PS

BAGEL SET ON JUSTINE! :worship:

franny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
OMG CONGRATS MARIA!! LOVE YOU GIRL!

Some observations:

1. Why so much hate on Justine? Such little humility from some people here, geesh.
2.. This was the best I think I've ever seen Maria play. I mean, 04 Wimby final was impressive, but that was complete power tennis from a woman in the zone. Tonight, you can tell she was out there thinking, and doing diff things. Some drop shots worked, some didn't. Had some nice volleys, one or two misses. She even fucking hit a slice approach shot! MARIA SHARAPOVA HIT A SLICE APPROACH SHOT AND WON THE POINT!
3. There were some amazing rallys in this match. The pt at 5-4 deuce that gave Maria her second set pt I think was the best one. Then three pts later the defense of Maria to win the set pt and the set was amazing. And the 6-4, 5-0 15-30 pt with the netcord and how Maria turned the pt into her own winner was amazing. Gosh, the highlight reel for the match would be amazing.

Veritas
I can't believe I missed this rare opportunity to see Justine have her ass man-handled on Centre Court :mad:

Oh well. Hopefully some rabid Sharapova fan will have uploaded a "match highlights" on YouTube :devil:

hwanmig
WTF was that Henin:o. Anyway congrats to Sharapova coz she certainly was the one who showed up to win.

Right:tape:

cs0803
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Amazing. Absolutely Amazing from Maria. She just didn't let Justine play. Congratulations!

Tennisation
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Maria had the toughest road, the toughest enemies to victory, but one by one, she crush them with her deadly prince sword. No one, I repeat...NO ONE is standing in the way of that AO title, it is all hers. Anyone dare comes close will be crucified, and world #1 Justine Henin has been made an example.

Cp6uja
Not realy surprised... but 6-0 :eek::eek::eek:

Bravo Maria!

hablo
What's Jepova, by the way? :lol:

Mikey.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Oh god. :eek: I was supporting Maria the whole way tonight but after she won, I felt terrible for Justine. This was meant to be Justine's Golden slam year and here it goes and blows up in her face. Poor girl. :hug: Taking nothing away from Maria though. She played some absolutely AMAZING tennis tonight and she had an answer for everything Justine threw at her. After this performance she definitely deserves the title. :)

Good luck Maria, and come back strong Justine. :)

scoobsuk
Best match I have ever seen Maria play.

She was so strong and yet consistent that it was absolutely overwhelming.

mdterp01
The best part was watching Justine mutter to herself and constantly look up to her box with that "wtf" look, and ultimately LOSING!! :lol:

The second best part was watching her smarmy coach Carlos Rodriguez squirm in his chair!! :lol: :haha:

Thank you Maria!! You have made the entire tournament for me!!! :worship:

Jovana.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
kick ass :cool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Maria :yeah: It's your title to lose now... go for it... erase the painful memories of 2007 final.

Justine :hug: This match is proof that you are not invincible always. Train your serve more and have a good rest... be prepared for your next tournament.

Aaron68
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
That was totally ridiculous! Masha just absolutely kicked Justine's butt. The same Justine who had won 32 matches in a row. Maria DISMANTLED her!

Consider this: Her last two matches, against Dementieva and Henin, she has lost a TOTAL of *six* games.

That was by far the best I have ever seen her play, even better than her Wimbledon and US Open wins. She had it all, tonight. Her angles were amazing. Her serve was just sublime. She played well at the net. She was aggressive and she never let up (except one tight game).

Whatever Justine threw at her, Maria had an answer to it. That was a totally comprehensive victory. You could tell, after it was over, even Maria was basically laughing at how insane it was! I don't think even she believed it. :)

Congrats Masha! That was a match for the ages.

And I think that if she plays even close to the way she has been playing, there's not a prayer for anyone else. She's just absolutely on fire.

SvetaPleaseWin.
:lol:
I was expecting a straight sets win but not a bagel :tape:
Henin played shit, Maria played well

hopefully now people will stop comparing Henin to Graf-she aint that good

Allez-H
Props to Maria for playing incredibly good. She did all the right things, wherears Justine pretty much all the wrong things. Justine played crap this whole tournament so this was to be expected. But all credit to Maria for completly destroying Ju's game. I'm thinking she's going to finally win AO, although I'm still hoping Ana will come through.

Justine, you can't win'em all :p A post-Bartoli reaction now, please ;)

ViennaCalling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
:speakles:

Amazing match from Maria :bowdown:

Her BH crosscourt was fabulous :drool:

Congrats :yeah:

Shafanovic.
Sharapova played SOO WELL.. and she only lost 9 games in last 3 rounds.
She will win this, definitely... She is playing the best tennis EVER!!! GO MASHA!!!

I'm so proud of you!

Nemo_Kool
WOOOOOOAHHHH what a performance and a bagel...hard luck Henin but thank you Sharapova for preventing Henin from having the priveledge of an equal/longer winning streak than Venus!....woahhhh Sharapovas form is scaring my two remaining faves!!!!

WIMBLY2004
Well done Maria, a bagel to Henin, that's incredible

faboozadoo15
Wow. I'm speechless. I hope her heart and mind stay in this. If she plays like that, she'll win here.

ViennaCalling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
:speakles:

Amazing match from Maria :bowdown:

Her BH crosscourt was fabulous :drool:

Congrats :yeah:

Shimizu Amon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She won and how! What an amazing match by Masha. I loved it.
And she totally destroyed Henin. Sorry for her fans, but it's fact.
Masha you were amazing :worship:.

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Wow. :speakles:

I cant wait to watch the replay. I saw the first few games then I had to go. Maria was pinning the corners.

But a bagel! Davai Masha.

Tennisation
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Maria was better at net than Justine :help:

theDreamer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
:worship: Sharapova. Amazing stuff. She will def. win the title. Only concern is that she didn't peak too early. If she loses to Jankovic after playing like this then :tape::help:

Henin :confused: A little passive and looked like she was having trouble breathing.

Wasn't Henin supposed to be the best player of her generation and the most dominant player ever? Wasn't she supposed to win the golden slam? I forget now :confused: Anyhoo I expect her to still at least win the FO.

Henin was just out of it today...her and Serena both played poorly. Both of the same generation....is this the changing of the guard? The only players left of that generation in the draw are Venus and Hantuchova. And knowing both of them I wouldnt' be surprised if they both lost. Could be the youngest slam ever.

No she wasn't. She played a good match, as the commentators said. She just got outplayed by an opponent playing one of their best matches, and also with a bit of luck.

No comparison to Serena's match - Jelena played solid (definitely not her best) and Serena's
serve was so unusually weak (Serena was actually "out of it" in that sense).

Veritas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
WTH was Justine thinking when she changed her service motion? Last year's version was more effective, hence the 26 match winning streak. Now, she has her legs trapped parallel to one another, limiting her reach.

And the scary thing is, it looks similar to Dementieva's serve! ... though not as atrocious.

rrfnpump
Masha !!!!!!!!!! :D :woohoo:
win the tournament now and get that GS title. :)

bye bye Allez :bigwave: :banana:

Demska
What a match Masha vs JJ will be. I can bet on some fabulous BH winners.

Kitten63
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Brilliant win Masha,congrats!!
Good tournament Ju,come back strong!

samsam4087
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Maria playing great tonight.

Poova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, today you witnessed how to absolutely annilhiate the world #1 and end a 32 match winning streak. :worship:

I knew you could do it Maria. :sobbing: Just flawless and I'm SO HAPPY!!! :woohoo:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.yesmeenah.com/smiles/smiles/36/015.gif (http://www.yesmeenah.com)

keirana332
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Maria :worship: Simply brilliant! Amazing today, as she has been throughout AO
Spectacular to see her back on top :)

darkangel23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Congrats Maria! You really deserved to win today! (Even if I don't like you that much!) :bigclap:

Juju :hug:
What you've achieved with your winning streak is already unbelievable! And you're still the clear number 1!

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Jelena has no chance against Maria. She will be overpowered by Maria.

bellascarlett
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
MARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :worship: :bowdown: :dance: :yippee:

Who looked like the number 1 player out there?!! :D Who's the threat to Henin now?! :D It was always going to be Maria who would break Justine's winning streak. Her game matches up well vs. Justine in my opinion.

Anyway, I knew it! I just freakin' it! And I knew it was gonna be in straight sets! But a BAGEL????!!!!!!! :tape: :eek: I had a hunch she was gonna go 4-0 up but I just didn't see the end of it coz Justine fights too much till the very end. But Masha, I'm soooo proud of you. Maria didnt take her foot off the gas throughout the match especially in that second set. She really did learn her lesson from the YEC. That was a fantastic performance Maria. Keep the great work up! Keep the intensity and focus up! But try to increase that first serve percentage. Congrats Masha! :clap2:

Justine :hug: You're a great champion. Just not good enough for Maria this tournament and got out on court more tentative and more nervous it seemed.

Ahh nice win! nice win Mash! You did all your fans proud! F*&%^#% beatdown! :woohoo:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Ju!!!!!!:sobbing:
The bagel :tape: :o
Anyway,:awww: :hug:

Maria :eek: You've been pretty on fire lately and if you couldn't win the title,I'll LMAO.:p
Well done!:yeah:

Zweli
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thank you very much Maria you have made my day,was this the revenge Justine was talking about?

HeninFan_2008
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm heartbroken. I don't know if Justine will be able to win another fast-court slam with Shrap around.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Maria is real world no 1. Henin is still ahead in head to head bcoz Maria commits lot of ue. If Maria can check these ue Henin or anybody will find it difficult to beat maria sharapova :shrug:

nozaroc
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Wow! What the hell did I just see? Best match of the women's tournament, right there. About one-quarter of it was like a highlight reel. I'm going to regret staying up in a couple of hours, but it was so worth it.

Unlike some of the other matches where one player doesn't show up and the other plays marginally better, this was a genuine upset. Both women were playing at a very high level. I always thought Maria's game was too one-dimensional and boring, but the off season has been good to her - she's added a few more dimensions. Very, very well done, Maria. The hard work pays off.

BMP
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, this is really shocking. Justine... :(

Barbarela
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Maria, thank you for winning, specially for this 6-0 over Justine!:devil: As a convicted Justine hater I have to say that, honestly, I like you more than ever! :worship:

Zweli
The best part was watching Justine mutter to herself and constantly look up to her box with that "wtf" look, and ultimately LOSING!! :lol:

The second best part was watching her smarmy coach Carlos Rodriguez squirm in his chair!! :lol: :haha:

Thank you Maria!! You have made the entire tournament for me!!! :worship:

Lol,Yaay,HAHAHA

Rub
this is scary stuff from maria...

i always thought justine was way below her level the entire tourney... but i never thought she'd go down with a bagel...

Shoulderpova
:):):)

~Carsten~
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
awesome match from Maria :eek:
greatest at the AO this year!

Holden Caulfield
justine :sad::sad::sad:
but you're still the best for me

new-york
wow.
Maria looks like she can't lose.

congrats Justine, amazing winning streak.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Wow...this is an even year, so the trend continues..2004, 2006, 2008...wow, same as Lindsay then.

DemWilliamsGulls
No she wasn't. She played a good match, as the commentators said. She just got outplayed by an opponent playing one of their best matches, and also with a bit of luck.

No comparison to Serena's match - Jelena played solid (definitely not her best) and Serena's

Point blank is that Justine only capitalize on players when they are not match fit and injured...Sharapova proved that. Sharapova played the tennis WE KNOW she can play when she win slams. I think what really let Henin down was the fact her sneaky sideline coaching fell apart. Carlos made her lose all her challenges so I think the trust and frustration with him fell apart along with the good play of Sharapova. Henins serve has always been weak and tonight her strokes were fine. Jepova just has a better game to me. Henin has always had problems with power players (williamses/sharapova) and serve and volley players (mauresmo). When they are not injured and match fit...Henin is intimidated..SHE KNEW Jepova was playingp high quality tennis this tournament!

~Carsten~
awesome match from Maria :eek:
greatest at the AO this year!

mariahdg
Justine will be back. i'll see
Masha played well

Polikarpov
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I hope Maria didn't peak to soon.

Beny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
This was a little expected after Madrid 07. I mean, Maria could only learn from her mistakes, if there were any in that final, and only play better now. Justine pulled it off in madrid but could expect that Masha will be even tougher today.
For all the match, I believed Justine would turn it all around,even at 15-40 last game.
Masha was too good today.Kudos to her. The best I§ve ever seen her play. A little better than in US 06 and madrid 07.

I think this was a oerfect performance. She can´t get better from this. Hopefully someone finds a way to stop her, i mean some player comes up with some wise tactics. Otherwise Maria will pretty much dominate if she keeps playing like this. She´s been working hard and improved rapidly so it was obvious that sooner or later she´ll be on top again.

Now it´s up to justine to get ready for their next match and learn from this loss. masha did it perfectly after madrid 07, while Justine played the same as in madrid and it wasn´t enough at all

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I hope Maria regroups and doesn't lose her focus! This tourney is not over yet!

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
What a match Masha vs JJ will be. I can bet on some fabulous BH winners.

Or it might be an even bigger blowout for Maria...

Zweli
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
:lol:
I was expecting a straight sets win but not a bagel :tape:
Henin played shit, Maria played well

hopefully now people will stop comparing Henin to Graf-she aint that good

In the second set Maria was just ironing Justines ass :lol::lol::lol:

padawanpot
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
What an amazing match for Maria to have won. The attention paid to it is well justified considering the player she's just won against. I think Maria took her YEC defeat well, learning to take the chances henin very rarely gives. I think Masha bordered on predatory tonight! Good job on both players!

Justine hasn't been bageled since 2002!!!! WOW.

Beny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I hope Maria regroups and don't lose her focus! This tourney is not over yet!

you shouldn´t fear that.

Maria, who is always 1000000000% concentrated, focused etc is the last one to lose focus. It's admirable actually

I still hope she'll lose the focus because i want Jelena to win :P

Peterk07
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
After her previous performances here, I expected Maria to win, but the way she did it is amazing! And Henin wasn't playing bad tennis at all! She wasn't at her best, but still decent.

I'm not a big Maria fan (can't stand grunting :) ), but i raise my hat to her. She showed us the essence of the modern tennis. Strong, fast, attacking AND clever. Beautiful. Congratulations, Masha!

miss_molik
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
wow, maria played sooo well

Kampi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Justine:eek::sad::hysteric::sobbing::hug:

But fair congrats for Maria.:worship::wavey::worship:

lightningquick
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
omg justine, i just wish you had put up more of a fight! oh well, hope this loss makes you stronger. ALLEZ!

Congrats maria, you were on FIRE.

beriadan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
OMG!!! Thank you Maria, you made made my day! Now please go out there and win the whole thing, and do Russia proud! :woohoo:

Justine was really stiff, and unnatural out there, and frankly this seems to be her way of playing most of the time; I'm surprised she's won 7 GSs. But still give her credit for trying, after everything she's been through -- it seems like no one cares about her, or people are generally against her, and yet she's such a wonderful person. :hug:

Coffee&TV
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Wow! What a game!!! That last game on first set is just awesome! Maria with great serve first and second and lots of winner totally awesomeness.. :hearts: Bagel on second set, yummy :lick: :p

Juju :hug: so many errors, and her serves :tape:

hectopascal
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM

OMG you're "dreaming" :lol:
Serena hit 34 winners (36UE), Justine hit 11 winners (21UE). They both served bad, but Serena played better.

vettipooh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Wow! A bagel? :lol: Only 4 games? :lol: Now I don't feel too badly about Serena's loss. Well done Maria for stopping Justine's quest for the golden slam. Now whip Jelena's butt with a bagel too!! :bounce:

cellophane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, that's really somewhat surprising. :eek: :sad:

But congrats Maria :) :yeah: Justine will bounce back, I'm sure...

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Maria....HERO of Australian Open 2008!! Thank you Maria for saving the tennis world! :worship:

jacobruiz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
:worship::worship::worship:
Oh, Maria - that did my heart good! Please keep it up for the rest of the tournament or the whole year!:hearts:
Justine will be back. One spanking does not stop a career like hers.
But I have a feeling 2008 is Maria Time.:bounce:

CooCooCachoo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Maria played well; Justine was not impressive at all. Deserved win :hatoff:

Andy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
That was beyond awesome. That was the best I have ever seen Masha play it was just unreal I just couldnt believe it she ws just on fire. Im so so happy this is amazing.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
She sure whiped her... :lol:
Superb performance!

Henpova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I think that Maria is playing the best of her life right now. I also think Justine was at 85% but still even at 100% Justine would of lost. I don't think Juju will lose her number 1 spot but if it happens, I will be glad it is Maria.

Go Maria

Next time Juju

cometz9
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I thought this match would be tight, Maria totally disagreed :lol:

Very impressive scoreline from her especially against a player of Justine's caliber :eek: She has bageled her last 3 opponent :tape: Jelena is next :scared:

I'm hoping for a shriekfest if Venus makes the Final :drool:

freeandlonely
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
So sad that so much people hate Henin.
Take the title Maria.

Lady
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Congratulations to Maria fans! (the classy ones that is ;) )
Maria was the better player today, so the victory is a rightful confirmation.

And Justine, I hope this loss will do the same thing as the Bartoli one..

The Daviator
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
OMG :lol: Justine won as many games as Lindsay :lol:

Well done Maria, can't understand where this form has come from after 2007, but this is the best she's ever played, she's probably winning the title now :)

Justine :o You were never going to win here, she just didn't seem herself all tournament :shrug:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
So sad that so much people hate Henin.
Take the title Maria.

Not so much , some of bitter fans ( you know them ) always try to make people sad if their favourite lost
especially if this player is too good for their favourite ,

Bruno71
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I knew when I saw the end of the 2nd set vs. Poutchkova that Justine was in trouble. She just hasn't been hitting through the court well enough, lacking depth and pace. I don't know if it's just that this type of court doesn't suit her game or she just was off, but that's one reason why this match was so lopsided.

The other reason was that I have never ever seen Maria play that well. She just couldn't miss, she covered the court beautifully, she constructed points impeccably, and she served fairly well. What a tight ship she ran...if she continues, she'll win this tournament no doubt.

LeChuck
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
What an awesome performance by Masha. Congratulations to her. She was in ruthless and devastating form, and is a joy to watch when she is in that sort of form. Justine was hitting too much into the middle of court rather than outwide, and it was likely to Masha was going to feast on her dodgy serve. Justine has bounced back from disappointing defeats plenty of times in the past and she'll continue to the same here, and Masha's form is looking pretty ominous.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Oh thank you Maria! the AO just got 100 times better! Go Maria!

And Justine will be back people it was one defeat!

nouf
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
last games + interview
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=5PQSbY6hb6Y

UDACHi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
maria is back. :drool:
a year ago i thought she was ready to start reaching the finals of the majority of majors she was playing, but her game dropped off after the open. hopefully she can keep this up for two more matches.
i think the only player in the way of a title right now is venus.
superb job. pretty much speechless about this match. one of, if not the single best match i've seen from masha. :hearts:

MistyGrey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I would never have imagined this scoreline! :o
Congrats Maria. Too good today!
Justine :hug:

Coffee&TV
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Juju hitting the ball towards the center of the court on the baseline :tape: Even she did hit some hard ball, I think her footwork looks heavy

Pink Princess
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Congrats Masha

:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Go Maria!!!

tard~tard
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Big congrats to Maria Sharapova and her fans. :hatoff:
Playing like this, I hope she wins the title.

Watching the match, I got the feeling that Justine was
already mentaly prepared for the loss. Her body language
in the second set was sad to watch. Not what I'm used to
see when watching her play. As if she knew she was going
to lose after the first set, and seemed to have accepted
it right away.
Also Carlos remained very calm and relaxed.
Both of them probably had already anticipated on the loss
before the match even started.
Not a good tournament for Justine, not at all.
And her serve was awful throughout the whole tournament.

Today she was outplayed, outsmarted, overpowered and
outclassed by a sublime Maria Sharapova.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
last games + interview
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=5PQSbY6hb6Y

thanks a lot :worship:

athake
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ju was hitting the cente all the time and most of them r short, very bad gameplan from Carlos&Ju, i wonder what were they thinking, but i am sure Ju'll come back strong, she always does...

No excuses, Maria played amazing, cong. to her and her fans. if i were a sore loser ju fan, i would want maria to lose at SF or F, but i wont. She deserves this title totally, she has to win it for justice, now i want her to win it as much as a Maria fan...

bellascarlett
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
30 Sharapova winners to only 11 for Justine. :eek:

Net points won: Maria- 14/17, Justine - 11/20.

Well done!

Effy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Masha has improved a lot. Great serve, much more better footwork and smarter game :)
Justine :hug:

Brett.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
:eek: Just got home from the pub.

I didn't expect this scoreline. I hope Channel 7 puts on replay after the men's match :unsure: :p

VasVas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
what a magnificient performance.. commanding lead.. Well done Masha :hug:

JadeFox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Holy Shit!:eek:

I thought Maria could win, but I didn't expect her to crush Justine like this! Great job!:yeah:

As for Justine: It's okay girl. Go work on your game and good luck in Antwerp.:hug:

P_Fer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
YESS!!! Amazing win Maria! Good luck vs Jelena :)

Mileen
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! :bounce::worship::woohoo:

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!! I don't ever think I've gone from feeling so low to feeling so high. Maria stops the consecutive streak wins and defeats peak Justine!!!! GO MARIA!! :yeah:

Don't push your luck. You really must be blinded by wishfull thinking.

Justine? :help::tape::lol: You got your ass WAXED!!!! :wavey: Will that be cream cheese or jelly with that bagel?
MARIA IS BACK!!! I don't see anyone beating her now. Thats right...no one!!!

When talking about her, next time execute some more respect, would you.

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH MARIA!!!! You did the tennis world a favor!!! :worship:

Somehow I doubt that.
So much revenge, huh?

Justine's tactics of playing right through the middle :help: :help:

But at the end: Congrats Maria, and thanks for the vcash!

Cilla
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Omg :tape: :eek:

Just woke up to see this result!

Elwin.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
:eek:
Justine :sad:

gary
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Masha :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :banana:
what a bagel!! :drool: :hearts: :worship: :bowdown:
good luck in SF!! :bounce:

Shepster
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
The amazing thing about that performance was, Justine was getting so many balls back in play against pretty much anyone else Maria would have won much more easily. Justine was making Maria play 2, 3, 4 shots extra and it just kept coming. A stunning performance, if she keeps her level at anything like it nobody has a prayer.

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well at least Lindsay avoided a bagel. But well done to Sharapova she played very well, as she has been this whole 2 weeks.

But I still think there is no doubt at all that Justine is still the best player in the world.

Taja05
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Congrats Masha! What a great win! Masha played the match of her life! :worship:

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching Sharapova lose. I came into this match rooting for Justine, but because Masha was so damn good she won me over. For the very first, and probably last time I found myself cheering for Masha. (I feel so dirty).

I have nothing but respect for Masha's game. And I'm one of those posters who's NEVER underestimated her potential. Congrats to Masha and all her fans, good job!

RenaSlam.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Goodbye Henin :wavey:

Congrats, Maria.

justine schnyder
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Justine :bigcry: :bigcry: :o :help:

But overall :bigcry:

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
:haha:
...at least she didn't lose to Jelena in straight sets....:rolleyes:

Congrats to Maria for playing her best tennis!

Henin, get some rest and learn from this loss.

Edward.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
OMG, incredible result. Congrats Maria!

Well played Justine, a 32 match winning streak is something to be proud of. :yeah:

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
...at least she didn't lose to Jelena in straight sets....:rolleyes:

Congrats to Maria for playing her best tennis!

Henin, get some rest and learn from this loss.She got bageled. Damn, JH even loses better than Serena these days.:sad:

vw.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
That's unbelievable. Even if Justine was slightly off, to beat the world # 1 that convincingly is VERY impressive. Her chances of winning a 3rd GS title just got A LOT better.

Its funny to see that her toughest match was her first rounder against Kostanic where she lost SEVEN games.. like, WTF was she thinking??? :o:o:o:p

Calypso
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Spectacular win for Maria!:bigclap:
She had it all today: Power, Precision and Touch. It would have required one helluva performance for anyone to derail the Maria Express today!
For a moment, it looked like Henin was gonna get right back into it, but after winning that thrilling game at 5-4* to break Justine for the set, Maria played like a mad woman, smacking crazy winners all over the court and even 'out-finessing' the queen of touch herself:eek:.
Credit to both players for some amazing rallies especially in the first set when Justine showed her own formidable fighting qualities to get back on serve despite the stunning play of Maria. Justine just had no answers to the unflappable Sharapova in the 2nd set.
Finally, Yuri's 'slaughtering' sign at the end of the match was offensive and classless; totally unnecessary.:weirdo:

the cat
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
That was a great win for Maria over Henin. :D Masha was very impressive. But it was only the quarterfinals and Maria still has to win 2 more matches to win the title and that won't be easy. Especially if she has to play Venus Williams in the final because it seems that Venus owns Maria thier 2005 Wimbledon semifinal match. And Jelena Jankovic has a recent win over Sharapova in the Birmingham final last year so she will believe she can beat Maria in the semi's. Congrats to Maria on ending Henin's winning streak at 32 matches in a row. But Masha still has alot of work to do to win the title.

lilimi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
as I expected, Sharpie cooked a bagel today. She is on fire, and when she at 120% physically, no one can beat her. Moreover Justine was far from being at her best.
all the ingredients for the bagel where there...

lilimi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Finally, Yuri's 'slaughtering' sign at the end of the match was offensive and classless; totally unnecessary.:weirdo:

exacty and i think this has a bad influence on Maria. i agree that he should get a life. but i liked his sweat-shirt tonight. he definitely has a better fashion sense than Papa Williams:lol:

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Omg, you got owned Ju. :sad:

Tech1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Sharapova delighted with Henin demolition
By Ed Osmond

MELBOURNE, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova said she had produced one of the most consistent performances of her career to crush world number one Justine Henin 6-4 6-0 in the Australian Open quarter-finals on Tuesday.

The Russian fifth seed simply overwhelmed the top-seeded Belgian, ending her 32-match winning streak in emphatic style.

"I think it was one of the most consistent matches where I did all the things I wanted to do and I did them correctly from the beginning to the end except having a little letdown in the end of that first set," Sharapova told reporters.

right, and I just played the way I can play." The former Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion said her positive approach had been important.

"I had to be aggressive," she said. " When I'm playing well, that's what I do. I'm not a passive player. I want to be the one that's forcing their errors. I did a really good job of that today."

Sharapova, runner-up at Melbourne Park last year, had a feeling it was going to be her night.
"The stars were shining, it was just meant to be," she said. "I was trying to put pressure on her. I did many things well, and sometimes when you do those things they just don't work.

The 20-year-old Sharapova, who won Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004, is relishing her semi-final against third seed Jelena Jankovic, a player she has known well from junior days and has beaten three times in four meetings.

"Previous matches don't count," she said. "This is a great opportunity for both of us. Ever since the juniors we've always played really tough and we've always battled it out and it's great to see her in the semis."

(Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

http://image.guardian.co.uk/football/site/Triangle_up.gif (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7245441,00.html#top)

youkoulélé
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
just flawless !!! now if Venus and Dani win tomorrow,it will be perfect !!!

Win the title now,you deserve it !!

Ellery
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Maria :worship:

Justine :tape:

muniu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I hate both so I'm fucin happy :banana:

aussie_fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Maria played awesome and didn't let justine into the match, about as simple as that.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I thought Maria improved from her earlier matches. She was hitting near the lines on a lot of key points.
This is probably the best match I've ever seen Maria play

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
To all the Henin fans talking shit in the Serena /Jankovic thread. :fiery::lol::lol::lol:

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Justine & Serena shit in their panties today :haha:
Yes they did. :lol::lol:

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

Serena played much worse than Henin, Maria just wasn't having it.

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Maria fans - congrats--she played lights out tennis and really kept Henin out of the match. I predicted that Maria would beat Henin, but didn't expect a beat-down like this!

Williams fans - please go back under the bridge with the other trolls...root for your faves to win, not your least faves to lose.
Go over to the Serena loss thread and tell those Henin fans that.

sfselesfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
There is a God.

SF

Shanna
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
GREAT match from Maria! If she keeps playing like that, she has a huge chance of winning the title! :yeah:

Justine :sad:
Now take a couple of days off and win in Antwerp!!! (so I can see it ;) )

thiskidhasit
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM

bye bye Justine

who is goign to take it from her? keep in mind, she isn't defending any points here either lol, so her ranking points is going to be even higher!

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Well, suddenly Elena's thrashing doesn't seem so bad.

I can't believe how well Masha is moving--you could see where Elena tried to get her to move and was surprised at how well she did and now again with Justine. Net play and everything.

I hope she keeps it up through the AO--and that it goes away by the next time she plays Lena.

Effy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
OMG, Serena fans, quit being defensive :help:

égalité
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Oh my god this is PERFECT :hearts:

Davai Mashenka!

améliemomo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
:eek:

njnetswill
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
We will have a debut AO winner. :bounce:

missvarsha
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not all surprised by the result, given their respective forms going into the match, but I am completely surprised by the scoreline.
Justine really needs to get her act together. If she wants to stay at the top of the game, she really really needs to get her serve working better.

Now I hope Sharapove can carry this through and feed a couple more bagels to JJ

polishprodigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I can't believe how many upsets there were today!

Tsonga over Youzhny
Sharapova over Henin
Jankovic over Serena
Yan/Zheng over Williams/Williams
Bondarenko/Bondarenko over Black/Huber
no.2 mens doubles seeds losing
no.2 mixed doubles seeds losing

YIKES! :eek:

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
yay :woohoo:,,, i cant belive it ,, maria:hearts:

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I can't believe how many upsets there were today!

Tsonga over Youzhny
Sharapova over Henin
Jankovic over Serena
Yan/Zheng over Williams/Williams
Bondarenko/Bondarenko over Black/Huber
no.2 mens doubles seeds losing
no.2 mixed doubles seeds losing

YIKES! :eek:Great credit to Serena. Jankovic is #3 while Serena is barely in the top ten.

LindsayRulz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well, Lindsay won the same number of points against Maria than Justine did. Congrats Maria!

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
She got thumped BAD. Henin was hyperventilating and everything it was so bad. My friend though she had tears in her eyes is was so BAD. Dominant world number one battered to a pulp, barely a chance to catch her breath let alone gather her remains together.

Kobra
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Amazing Maria! :worship: :woohoo:

Now beat this JJ... :drool:

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
yes yes
love you maria
yes yes
yes yes
my day is now neutral

polishprodigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Great credit to Serena. Jankovic is #3 while Serena is barely in the top ten.

I knew you would say that. In fact, I thought that at first "well shouldn't the no.3 seed BE the favourite?" But the reality is that Jankovic was not playing well going into this match, she had her injury, and Serena is always a lower-ranked underdog. Now if this was last year, then I think a no.3 Jankovic would have been the favourite, as Serena was then ranked only no. 81. But I think you get my point

venusdemilo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
:eek: Wow, just wow. I am speechless. I thought the Serena-Jankovic match had me lost for words. I was expecting Maria to win, but I was NOT expecting this scoreline.

I haven't seen this match yet, so I'm just going by the thread. I understand Maria played VERY well! :worship:

Congrats, Maria. And to the #1 player in the world. Good luck against Jankovic.

-VSR-
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
A bagel? :eek: :o

Henin got serve, literally.

The two favorties (Henin & Serena) go out in the quarterfinals. Who would have guessed it.

V-MAC
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Congrats to Maria and her fans :) Now that was a demonstration in how to play fearless, intelligent power tennis against the world's #1 :lol: Just loved Maria's attitude out there.
Also good for us Vee fans as since Maria has dispatched Juju, Vee's winning streak record for this century still remains intact :aparty:

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah venus winning streak is still intact that makes me even more happy

LudwigDvorak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
There are lots of (amazing) dominating performances by women in the WTA, but three stick out in my mind:
2006 Tokyo F - Dementieva def. Hingis 62 60
2007 Melbourne F - Williams def. Sharapova 61 62
2008 Melbourne QF - Sharapova def. Henin 64 60

This was perhaps the least brutal of the three, but the best tennis was on display out of them all, especially from both players. Criticize Justine on her poor tactics but she did not play badly at all--this was just Maria Sharapova at the absolute peak of her powers and for that I give her my nod of approval. :yeah:

After a match like that it briefly crossed my mind if I could become a Mashabator. :lol: Just such amazing ballstriking abilities with improved movement, finesse, serve, everything. I hope it's a Venus/Maria final.

I already had tremendous respect for Sharapova, but even moreso now. She is just RUTHLESS. I love it.

daniela86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Yay! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: First Jelena and now Masha :D It's an awesome day for my faves :hearts: :hearts:
Keep it up Masha and huge congrats :worship: :worship: I have no words to describe how much I am happy,impressed and proud :D :banana: :rocker2: You rule! :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: :inlove: :inlove: Good luck in SF! :rocker:

matty
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Yuri is not really maria's coach, right? IMG or what ever they are called, must have the absolute best coaches and sports psychologists working with maria to get her over some of the bad losses(2 to serena)from last year and her messed up serve. I have NEVER seen a tennis player with the absolutely ferocious determination that maria has. i mean you can just see it in her eyes, her body language,her self talk. I remember her QF match at FO last year against patty, and even though she was down, she never stopped encouraging herself--she very seldom lets and doubt creep into her game. maria is definitely not one of my favorite players, but i gotta say she is the most ferocious competitor i have ever witnessed and for that i really admire her.

Maria Croft
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
That is just an incredible result :yeah:

I'm so happy :woohoo: :worship:

Just don't pay any attention to the hate Justine fans, you all know how good she is :hug:

patch.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Amazing Masha :hearts:

xan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Congratulations Maria! Great win over the World No 1. :bounce:

Some really good returning and shotmaking. Even Yuri couldn't believe that shot that finished off the fourth game of Set 2!

Keep it going Maria! :D

alfonsojose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Well done. Even tough Juju wasn't playing her best, Maria was :eek: Lindsay's loss isn't that painful anymore ;)

Drimal
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Good to know that Justine can still lose a match. :p

Congrats Maria! Well deserved victory. ;)

alfonsojose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
There are lots of (amazing) dominating performances by women in the WTA, but three stick out in my mind:
2006 Tokyo F - Dementieva def. Hingis 62 60
2007 Melbourne F - Williams def. Sharapova 61 62
2008 Melbourne QF - Sharapova def. Henin 64 60

This was perhaps the least brutal of the three, but the best tennis was on display out of them all, especially from both players. Criticize Justine on her poor tactics but she did not play badly at all--this was just Maria Sharapova at the absolute peak of her powers and for that I give her my nod of approval. :yeah:

After a match like that it briefly crossed my mind if I could become a Mashabator. :lol: Just such amazing ballstriking abilities with improved movement, finesse, serve, everything. I hope it's a Venus/Maria final.

I already had tremendous respect for Sharapova, but even moreso now. She is just RUTHLESS. I love it.

Lena D beat a tired Hingis

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Lena D beat a tired HingisYeah....sure.

.:sk:.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
I expected Maria will win, but that she'll be that strong... :eek: Congrats :worship:

Finally Justines streak is over :D

gotthebend
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Maria played a fantastic match.
Justine never had a chance to come back.
Can actually see the panic expression on Justine's face.:tape:

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
basically, sharapova beat henin with a similar game serena used to be her last year.

good for pova. great comeback from last year. i knew she was gonna beat justine.

Mina Vagante
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
OK i'm not going to lie... i LOVED that. I've nevercheered for Maria so much! Glad someone beat Justine. I'm so happy:worship::devil:

Pleasantville
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you Maria Sharapova!! You made a horrible day become such an AMAZING day for me in terms of tennis

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
i knew she was goin to win but not like this
same her for me pleasantville
have lost my voice coz i screamed so much

Harju.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Congrats Maria :worship:
Even I can't help myself to be happy for her.

Zombielicious
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Davai Masha!! :yeah:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Too bad that I couldn't watch it, but I can imagine how it looked like.
I was kinda feeling this would happen, when Maria destroyed Davenport.
I was just thinking back how she played in Madrid and how she improved her level now.
Also Dementieva was destroyed.
I can only have respect for her.

It just seems that there's only 1 match left in this tournament:

Ana - Venus. That match will decide who's the runner up.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
congrats maria, WOW

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Too bad that I couldn't watch it, but I can imagine how it looked like.
I was kinda feeling this would happen, when Maria destroyed Davenport.
I was just thinking back how she played in Madrid and how she improved her level now.
Also Dementieva was destroyed.
I can only have respect for her.

It just seems that there's only 1 match left in this tournament:

Ana - Venus. That match will decide who's the runner up.

I hope that's not the attitude either of those players have cuz otherwise what's the point. Ana and Venus are in slams to win them, not to lose in the final or the SF or whatever.

Groenefelder25
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
ownage