PDA

View Full Version : AO QF: (7) Yan/Zheng def. Williams/Williams 3-6 6-4 6-2

AJZ.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Good job girls :hearts:
You did great! You were very nervous at first and made a lot, a lot of easy mistakes, but overall, your level of play rose as the match progressed.
I'm so proud of you :hearts: A win over the Williams sisters - not many players can say they've done that!!
Third straight AO SF! You should be very, very proud!!!
Now get to the final and win the whole shebang!!

:bounce:

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Oh my.. :inlove:

Bad luck venus. :hug:

DarkchildSwiss
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
omg another williams loss today.:sad:

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
what a comeback, Chinese robots :D

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Lol..Serena was hitting all serves at about 55mph lol..it was so funny...They tanked on purpose lol...they had me crackin up...Serena was hitting forehands into the stands, and i'm talking reality...lol..congrats to zi and zheng!

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Great win,Jie/Zi. :yeah:

I can see Williams sisiter really want to win in FS,but Jie/Zi is simply a better doubles team.

Many excellent points in the match.I hope someone has recorded it. ;)

The Kaz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
:woohoo:

2 Williams losses in 1 day you cant ask for more :yeah:

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Lol...that was the funniset doubles match ever...hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

FrOzon

I can see Williams sisiter really want to win in FS,but Jie/Zi is simply a better doubles team.

I've only seen the last game to be honest, but Jie/Zi were really great in defending the Williams power. For me, they are best double team out there and on their way back to the top!

drake3781
Wow, what a good match! I only saw the last 3-4 games, and it was so good! Great play by both teams.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Ok I did not see the match, but Venus had her left thigh wrapped. Wasn't the right one wrapped the day before? I hope it is just preventative.

AJZ.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:04 AM

I recorded a lot of it - I figured out the way my system worked at like 3-4 in the first set, :lol: and at many times it cut, but I have it in 13 parts :)
If I figure out how to upload it, I'll upload it :lol:

So many amazing points :)

HAOCHEN-GOAT
ZI is the best doubles player in the world.

Zi/Jie, the best team :worship:

Amazing points. Yan Zheng are just unbelievable :hearts:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
I recorded a lot of it - I figured out the way my system worked at like 3-4 in the first set, :lol: and at many times it cut, but I have it in 13 parts :)
If I figure out how to upload it, I'll upload it :lol:

So many amazing points :)

:woohoo: :bowdown:

starin
Hmm... I know Serena wantd to give it a go out there but she was useless out there. :lol:

Avg. 1st serve for Serena: 145-156 km/h (90mph :tape:) and lot of times slower than that.
Avg. 2nd serve for Serena: 109-115 km/h (65 - 70 mph :tape:)

They were picking on Serena for the most part...must have watched her QF match. lol. Venus was kinda sloppy and based on her doubles performance no way is she going to be Ana. Her big flat serve is not effective on this surface. Gives players enough time to bunt it back deep or at a funky angle or whatever.

I would be happy for the Chinese Pair but my gawd their cheering squad was so f*cking annoying. This is their cheer, " CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA..... CHINA.....CHINA" And they did it the whole time, during the changeovers, anytime there was a break in play they did it. And it wasn't like a rapid chant ....it was long drawn out CHHHHHIIIIIINNNNAAAAA.....CHHHHHIINNNNNAA....CHHHH INNNNNAA.....CHINNNNNA" blargh annoying as hell.
Is this how the Chinese crowds are going to be at the olympics? I'm glad the best player they have is Na Li.

mdterp01

2 Williams losses in 1 day you cant ask for more :yeah:

:rolleyes: Time on your hands, much? The semi will be a great day when Henin/Sharapova roll over Jankovic.

Stamp Paid
Wow, what a good match! I only saw the last 3-4 games, and it was so good! Great play by both teams.So it wasnt a tank, then?

Pasta-Na
Lol..Serena was hitting all serves at about 55mph lol..it was so funny...They tanked on purpose lol...they had me crackin up...Serena was hitting forehands into the stands, and i'm talking reality...lol..congrats to zi and zheng!

i feel sad :sad: :tears:

4 lols :scared:

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Ok I did not see the match, but Venus had her left thigh wrapped. Wasn't the right one wrapped the day before? I hope it is just preventative.

She was moving fine and she should be good to go...now Rena on the otherhand:eek::eek::eek:...i watched the whole match.

Paneru
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Nice try V&S! :hug:

One step closer in the quest
for Olympic Glory! :yeah:

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
So it wasnt a tank, then?

Look at Lupe...it was a tank now let's be serious...you have to watch it and you'll see.

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
i feel sad :sad: :tears:

4 lols :scared:

Don't feel sad super na..the chinese are a good team.

AJZ.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Zi and Jie are probably the best team out there! They are on their way back to the top, slowly but surely.
I think they will challenge Cara and Liezel for the top spot this year; Ai and Kata had better watch out too!!!

They played phenomenal out there today, truly.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
will Venus save the day tonight? or they just all want to go home or stay a couple of days shopping.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Look at Lupe...it was a tank now let's be serious...you have to watch it and you'll see.

I don't think it was a tank but they weren't taking that seriously. And Serena was a mess out there in general. Her serve was a mess and she didn't doo much at net or at the back of hte court. Chinese team played well though..they were quick and very effective at net. ANd they picked on Serena for a large part of the match.

homogenius
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM

Why were they playing ? If they wanted to tank they could have withdrawn.No need to play 3 sets of tennis for Venus with her match tomorrow, no ?

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think it was a tank but they weren't taking that seriously. And Serena was a mess out there in general. Her serve was a mess and she didn't doo much at net or at the back of hte court. Chinese team played well though..they were quick and very effective at net. ANd they picked on Serena for a large part of the match.

Yeah that's what i'm trying to say lol...it was sad yet funny cause they really just didn't care. Rena needs to go back to Florida ASAP.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
i meant yan zi and zheng jie are not afraid of big girls as they play MXD all the time. na li and shuai peng should play MXD too :o

but yan/zheng were a bit naughty in the interview, they said "they will try their best and just regard they are playing the team of men doubles" :smash: :(

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Lol..Serena was hitting all serves at about 55mph lol..it was so funny...They tanked on purpose lol...they had me crackin up...Serena was hitting forehands into the stands, and i'm talking reality...

Lol...that was the funniset doubles match ever...hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

There must be something wrong with Serena's serve,but from my view the sister hitting the ball hard as well and made some increadible returns.
You won't think they tanked the match on purpose if you can see 7 more deuces in one game.If they want tank it,why not just give it up?:rolleyes:

mariahdg
Congrats Chinese girls :kiss:
:hug:Sisters

Wolverines08
Why were they playing ? If they wanted to tank they could have withdrawn.No need to play 3 sets of tennis for Venus with her match tomorrow, no ?

It was good practice...and there we're lots of American fans out there cheering for their girls...Venus got to work on serve direction and volleys.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah that's what i'm trying to say lol...it was sad yet funny cause they really just didn't care. Rena needs to go back to Florida ASAP.

i can feel ur pain, mate :p but glad serena has a loyal fans like u. pls dont cry while typing :p

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
i can feel ur pain, mate :p but glad serena has a loyal fans like u. pls dont cry while typing :p

No...i love all 4 players that we're on the court...why would I cry.

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
There must be something wrong with Serena's serve,but from my view the sister hitting the ball hard as well and made some increadible returns.
You won't think they tanked the match on purpose if you can see 7 more deuces in one game.If they want tank it,why not just give it up?:rolleyes:

Why give it up...The chinese and Venus we're giving the fans a show...Serena was just there.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

Well, dont you know every time she loses is because:

1-She plays bad
2-Because she is injured
3-So she tanks

? :lol: :rolleyes: :o

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Rena needs to go back to Florida ASAP.

Don't you think a withdrawl would be easier and reasonable if it's like what you said?

I bet Serena will be there if Vee make the final.

The Kaz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
:rolleyes: Time on your hands, much? The semi will be a great day when Henin/Sharapova roll over Jankovic.

Bitter much? :p

First Serena, now Serena/Venus and tomorrow Venus...and then there out of the AO for good :woohoo:

You'll be sorry if Janky wins her SF on thursday :lol:

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Why give it up...The chinese and Venus we're giving the fans a show...Serena was just there.

That makes sense if you can feel better. :hug:

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Well, dont you know every time she loses is because:

1-She plays bad
2-Because she is injured
3-So she tanks

? :lol: :rolleyes: :o

trust me... Chinese players are not supposed to win :lol:

Wolverines08
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Don't you think a withdrawl would be easier and reasonable if it's like what you said?

I bet Serena will be there if Vee make the final.

She may, but i think your post are great...and i think your entitled to your view, so I think you should watch the match and you might understand what i'm saying...especially in set 3...you're goin to look at it and laugh.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Bitter much? :p

First Serena, now Serena/Venus and tomorrow Venus...and then there out of the AO for good :woohoo:

You'll be sorry if Janky wins her SF on thursday :lol:

no pls... i want juju to have 8 slams like serena :p

drake3781
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
So it wasnt a tank, then?

No, it was very competitive. (If they had been tanking they would not have fought for the win at deuce, which went back and forth several times, I would imagine. Also I've seen what Serena does when she has to play but doesn't want to play, unfortunately.)

Hope the videos go up, because I would like to see the entire match. I love watching Yan/Zheng, and was looking forward to seeing them play the WS because that is a first for me! I had no idea how this would come out.

BTW, Serena wore a different outfit, which I liked better than her singles outfit. Same top, but on the bottom was a solid skirt made of the purple/pink color, and a hat made of the same color (no headband, no leggings). Venus wore what she has been wearing.

Both sides had good cheering from the crowd; nice to see that. (I didn't hear the annoying Chinese cheers, but would hate it if it were as described.... seems a lot of countries have these cheering sections, though, and I guess they are encouraged by the tournament?)

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
i meant yan zi and zheng jie are not afraid of big girls as they play MXD all the time. na li and shuai peng should play MXD too :o

but yan/zheng were a bit naughty in the interview, they said "they will try their best and just regard they are playing the team of men doubles" :smash: :(

:o Now I'm going to root for them to lose. Cuz of that and their annoying ass cheering squad. In fact I'll be cheering for them to lose 1st rd at olympics cuz that's going to hurt the most.

And i liked Yan :o

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
No, it was very competitive. (If they had been tanking they would not have fought for the win at deuce, which went back and forth several times, I would imagine. Also I've seen what Serena does when she has to play but doesn't want to play, unfortunately.)

Hope the videos go up, because I would like to see the entire match. I love watching Yan/Zheng, and was looking forward to seeing them play the WS because that is a first for me! I had no idea how this would come out.

BTW, Serena wore a different outfit, which I liked better than her singles outfit. Same top, but on the bottom was a solid skirt made of the purple/pink color, and a hat made of the same color (no headband, no leggings). Venus wore what she has been wearing.

Both sides had good cheering from the crowd; nice to see that. (I didn't hear the annoying Chinese cheers, but would hate it if it were as described.... seems a lot of countries have these cheering sections, though, and I guess they are encouraged by the tournament?)

Serena's serve was useless out there. I can't belive you didn't hear them cheering? I thought they were saying SANIA...SANIA!!! and then i realized wtf Sania isn't even playing and there ar no indians on court. They had other cheers...that were really annoying too. The aussies were cheering on Serena and Venus as a response to the rally annoying Chinese cheers. It was just non stop incessant cheering. There was not a moment of silence except during the point.

AJZ.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
:o Now I'm going to root for them to lose. Cuz of that and their annoying ass cheering squad. In fact I'll be cheering for them to lose 1st rd at olympics cuz that's going to hurt the most.

How is it mean?
A Williams serve is as strong as a man's serve, which makes it very difficult to break them.
The comparison being made is to men's doubles, where a break of serve normally calls the set - as it's very hard to break a man's serve.
So it's actually a compliment, saying that their serve is so strong, that it'll be hard to break them, and that there is more pressure on Yan and Zheng's serve thus.
It's not backhanded at all.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM

they were just kidding :p they made a joke about maria in USO last year as well, just like girls' stuff, make jokes and laugh out loud :p

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
How is it mean?
A Williams serve is as strong as a man's serve, which makes it very difficult to break them.
The comparison being made is to men's doubles, where a break of serve normally calls the set - as it's very hard to break a man's serve.
So it's actually a compliment, saying that their serve is so strong, that it'll be hard to break them, and that there is more pressure on Yan and Zheng's serve thus.

It's not mean to call two women men? It's one thing to say, they serve like men which a lot of players say...and a whole different thing to call them men. Do you not see the difference? i'll give benefit of the doubt as a misquote or language issue.

And did Serena serve like man today? yeah didn't think so.

Ben.
Congrats to Yan & Zheng, better team on the day. Really picked up their level of play after the first set.

Venus & Serena didn't look like that had that same spark on court that they usually have when they play together. Their serves were slower than usual & it must of been difficult for Serena to maintain that intensity in doubles after she lost in her singles. Rest up now girls & target the FO & the Olympics next :hug: :)

drake3781
Serena's serve was useless out there. I can't belive you didn't hear them cheering? I thought they were saying SANIA...SANIA!!! and then i realized wtf Sania isn't even playing and there ar no indians on court. They had other cheers...that were really annoying too. The aussies were cheering on Serena and Venus as a response to the rally annoying Chinese cheers. It was just non stop incessant cheering. There was not a moment of silence except during the point.

I only saw the last 3-4 games. I believe you it was annoying, and I would hate it too. I'm a big lover of decorum, and well mannered tennis. Don't take it out on the players, though. This apparently goes on for many of the AO matches, and it seems the tournament ENCOURAGES it. :shrug:

Ben.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah the Chinese fans were a bit annoying I must admit. They were like that when I watched Na play against Bremond at the open.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
How is it mean?

yeah, i think thats what yan/zheng meant, williams are both strong and good players. so they wouldnt think about the result, just gave all of their best :p

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
I only saw the last 3-4 games. I believe you it was annoying, and I would hate it too. I'm a big lover of decorum, and well mannered tennis. Don't take it out on the players, though. This apparently goes on for many of the AO matches, and it seems the tournament ENCOURAGES it. :shrug:

damnit i hate it when people are reasonable ...it forces me to be reasonable as well ;)
u're right ...but it's hard not to associate the player with their cheering squad. The Chinese pair could have said something the same way Jankovic and Ivanovic asked their fans to be more polite and quiet down but meh it's not their responsibility so I can't really hold it against them.

I hope the Isreali crowd comes out to support Shahar against the Chinese crowd..lol that's going to be a crazy arse loud match.

The Kaz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Yeah the Chinese fans were a bit annoying I must admit. They were like that when I watched Na play against Bremond at the open.

I was at that match too :eek:

and they were annoying :(

drake3781
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
damnit i hate it when people are reasonable ...it forces me to be reasonable as well ;)
u're right ...but it's hard not to associate the player with their cheering squad. The Chinese pair could have said something the same way Jankovic and Ivanovic asked their fans to be more polite and quiet down but meh it's not their responsibility so I can't really hold it against them.

I hope the Isreali crowd comes out to support Shahar against the Chinese crowd..lol that's going to be a crazy arse loud match.

Who is Peer's partner?

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM

Trust me,the chinese crowd have beaten by indian fans.:lol:

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I was at that match too :eek:

and they were annoying :(

na li was pissed too :haha: because one of her fans called "out" when the ball was in. it was a crucial pt :p

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM

how about serbian crowd and indian crowd? :p

ce
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
:sad:
Serena :smooch:

RND
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Jie. :hearts:

Jie and Zi as a team. :yeah:

new-york
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
good effort sis.:cool:
grats Yan/Zheng.

allez Venus.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
:yeah:

winone23
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I had a feeling morale would be low on team Williams after Serena's lost. Oh well at least they played and didn't withdraw. They are still one of the best doubles teams in the game.

vw.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Too bad for Venus and Serena. But a decent tourney in general, got to the QF and beat the numbers two seeds. Good showing preparing for the Olympics.

When do you guys think they'll play next? A possible Miami pairing? If not, I'd say the next time'll be Wimbledon.

cellophane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Yan Zi :yeah:

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM

2 Williams losses in 1 day you cant ask for more :yeah::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Good win for Zi Yan and Jie Zheng. It seems they are getting back to their best. As for Serena and Venus, if they want to be considered as one of the best teams, they have to play more doubles. It would be nice if they played all the slams and a few other events to get a seeding for the Olympics.

Ellery
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Zi and Jie :woohoo: :banana:
Ree and Vee :hug:

Uranium
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Venus and Serena:(:hug:
glad i had yan/zheng winning in FITD:tape:

polishprodigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hmm... I know Serena wantd to give it a go out there but she was useless out there. :lol:

Avg. 1st serve for Serena: 145-156 km/h (90mph :tape:) and lot of times slower than that.

They were picking on Serena for the most part...must have watched her QF match. lol. Venus was kinda sloppy and based on her doubles performance no way is she going to be Ana. Her big flat serve is not effective on this surface. Gives players enough time to bunt it back deep or at a funky angle or whatever.

I would be happy for the Chinese Pair but my gawd their cheering squad was so f*cking annoying. This is their cheer, " CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA.....CHINA..... CHINA.....CHINA" And they did it the whole time, during the changeovers, anytime there was a break in play they did it. And it wasn't like a rapid chant ....it was long drawn out CHHHHHIIIIIINNNNAAAAA.....CHHHHHIINNNNNAA....CHHHH INNNNNAA.....CHINNNNNA" blargh annoying as hell.
Is this how the Chinese crowds are going to be at the olympics? I'm glad the best player they have is Na Li.

Lol, they cheered like that in Toronto too ;) I found it odd as well ;)

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Let's see What Serena said after the match.It proves they didn't tank it at all.
Serena didn't try to find any excuse for their lost. :yeah:

Q. Was playing doubles therapeutic after that, or would you just rather just have gone back and rested?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I definitely enjoyed playing doubles, because, you know, believe it or not, I got to work on some things that I didn't feel that I did well in my singles.

So I actually did a little better in my doubles. That's definitely taken a positive.

Q. Looked like during the doubles you were sort of grabbing your leg up here. Is it the knee again?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, my knee is fine. My knee is great, thank God.

Q. You mentioned before that you felt you had done a bit better in the doubles. What exactly did you feel you had done better in the doubles?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I felt like my returns were better in doubles, and I felt like in my singles I didn't return the way I wanted to. That's probably it.

sunset
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Down Goes Serena Yesssssssssss! :lol::lol::lol::lol::bounce::bounce::bounce:

What a way to start the day. It was like watching Mike Tyson getting knocked out by little Jelena.

She beat the living snot out of her :bounce::bounce: in staight sets.

Chalk this one up to another player who owns Serena! :lol::lol:

venusdemilo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not as surprised by this result as I ordinarily would be. Congratulations Yan and Zi.

Rising Sun
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM

Do they really say "China", or "Jia You"? :confused:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well at least Venus can conserve energy for single now. Hope they can have better success at the other slams.

Congrats tothe Chinese them though, good for Beijing!

Dodoboy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
damn...what a wierd day for Williams fan (who hate henin) ups and down like hell!

AJZ.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
It's not mean to call two women men? It's one thing to say, they serve like men which a lot of players say...and a whole different thing to call them men. Do you not see the difference? i'll give benefit of the doubt as a misquote or language issue.

And did Serena serve like man today? yeah didn't think so.

Well, they don't have the best english either, so yeah, it may have been misquoted.
And that was before the match, so how were they supposed to know?

L.J.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Can anybody post a video (megaupload or rapidshare - not Youtube) of this match, or even if it is just the last few games that would be great. Fantastic win for Yan and Zheng!

Highlandman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Williams :sad: :sad: Now concentrate on singles Venus & beat Ivanovic etc. :D:cool:

rollup
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
:haha: Not such a good day for Serena :tape: Even worse than Justine's :lol:

DevilishAttitude
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Not a surprise.

It was a Quarter Final in a Slam, Serena was always gonna lose, it's her current habit... ;)

GogoGirl
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
All,

Well at least the Sisters have 6 Majors, 2 Mixed and 1 Olympics. Anyone top that? Didn't think so.

Kai
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Jie/Zi :woohoo:

andrewC
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
As expected, well done Yan/Zheng :D :banana: