PDA

View Full Version : Why Serena lost: A comprehensive list.

perseus2006
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
The only possible reasons that the seriously sullen Serena lost to Jelena today are listed below, summarized from thousands of posts. The one certain thing gleaned from poster is that Jelena was not the better player today.

Reasons for the loss:

1. Serena was jinxed by PMac and Bud Collins, both of whom picked Serena for an easy win.

2. Serena was still upset that the AO Officials tried to force Venus off RLA.

3. Serena just wanted to open up the field for Venus to win it all.

4. Serena just couldn't wake up!!!

5. Jelena played so poorly, it brought Serena's game down.

6. Sereena broke her "lucky" racquet just when she was going to start her comeback in the match.

7. Serena's toe hurt.

8. Jelena just made too many lucky shots.

9. Serena severely strained her right quads trying to put on a pair of Venus's shorts.

10. Serena got scared stiff just thinking about having to play either Justine or Pova in the next round.

There you have it!!! I am sure Serena and family and friends will be able to add to the list later today.

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
Serena on her period was another one :haha:.

RJWCapriati
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
That could be the most excuses I've ever seen.

RJWCapriati
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
And by the way 7 is hilarious! :lol:

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
:lol:

hingisGOAT
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Jankovic returned all of Serena's big first serves with a lot of depth... I was impressed.

Tamus
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
9. Serena severely strained her right quads trying to put on a pair of Venus's shorts.

:lol:

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Jankovic returns big serves very well. But, ya know what...one that I think never gets that much attention paid to, which actually has a lot of merit (and I'm not saying thats the case today) is women's issues. You have to figure that there have to be some of those girls that are going through their periods at some point during the 2 weeks. Maybe thats why Maria couldn't get anything going last year. I don't know, but women's players have alluded to it before saying there are some days when a woman is going through "issues" and just doesn't have it. The only thing I know is that something clearly was not right with Serena today. I don't know what it was, but something was clearly off. Its not as if its the first time she's played Jelena, and she was in worse shape last year.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
3 reasons she lost the match and the main reason she lost the match:

Avg 1st serve for a set and 4 games: 98 mph :tape:
Avg 1st serve for the match: 101 mph :help:
Avg 2nd serve for the match: 81 mph :help::tape:

Forehand_Volley
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM
Lack of confidence which affected her serve.

What bothers me about Serena's game while losing in so many grand slam quarters (four in a row and counting) is that her speed of service declined with those losses which indicates a loss of confidence.

Confidence is everything on the professional level.

What would it take to get her confidence back? A little bit better foot speed and fitness should propel her in these tight quarterfinal situations. You have to have some type of motivation and confidence to go deep in the major draws.

I also think the slower court affected her game.

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Serving hard doesn't win the match. Jankovic is a great returner and she plays great defensive tennis. She's also a great mover unlike Vaidisova who also isn't very good at keeping the ball in play. Serena played badly but not horrifically. Jankovic wasn't even at average imo. Her movement is still below par and her game isn't where it usually is. Although it has improved greatly since the beginning of the tournament. She still looks exhausted and ill imo. However she still played OK and Serena played badly whcih is why JJ won this match. It's not as big of an upset as everyone makes it seem. People acted like the Vaidisova match was a great indication that Serena would crush JJ in the QF but they're two players that play very differently and JJ's game is harder for Serena to handle. That being said, Serena played better in the Vaidisova match but you get my point.

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
I don't buy it. There was such a huge difference in her play in the previous 4 rounds compared to today. She has been serving well and moving better. Something was definitely off today. Whether it was just lethargy or cramps or some kind of injury I don't know. I know I've gone out and played tennis some days and for some reason my feet feel glued to the court. I have no energy. I serve poorly, my footwork is terrible, and I'm either hitting into the net or well out. It happens. But I'm not buying anything mental. Something was physically wrong with her...just don't know what.

plantman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Serving hard doesn't win the match. Jankovic is a great returner and she plays great defensive tennis. She's also a great mover unlike Vaidisova who also isn't very good at keeping the ball in play. Serena played badly but not horrifically. Jankovic wasn't even at average imo. Her movement is still below par and her game isn't where it usually is. Although it has improved greatly since the beginning of the tournament. She still looks exhausted and ill imo. However she still played OK and Serena played badly whcih is why JJ won this match. It's not as big of an upset as everyone makes it seem. People acted like the Vaidisova match was a great indication that Serena would crush JJ in the QF but they're two players that play very differently and JJ's game is harder for Serena to handle. That being said, Serena played better in the Vaidisova match but you get my point.

"Serving hard doesn't win the match".

So true!....Just ask Roddick.

The Kaz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
Why Serena Lost???

Jankovic was the better player :shrug:

henree
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
:lol::help::lol:

Tennisstar86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
I don't buy it. There was such a huge difference in her play in the previous 4 rounds compared to today. She has been serving well and moving better. Something was definitely off today. Whether it was just lethargy or cramps or some kind of injury I don't know. I know I've gone out and played tennis some days and for some reason my feet feel glued to the court. I have no energy. I serve poorly, my footwork is terrible, and I'm either hitting into the net or well out. It happens. But I'm not buying anything mental. Something was physically wrong with her...just don't know what.

well... you know.... many people thought Venus was on hers last week with her anger at the umps... refusing to move... and I assume she and Venus are staying together.... and whens girls are together the cycles coexist so maybe she started hers today? Who knows... ummm why she lost:

Her serve was much slower and badly placed...... that was the difference today than her other matches....we saw a couple of them where even if Jelena got them back they barely got over the net and Serena put the ball away.... it was her serve.... she seemed to lack confidence which as someone else said you cant serve well without confidence...... she seemed a step slower today as well.... but the serve was key....

(she double faulted to give Jelena a match point. Serena Williams does not do that.....)

homogenius
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Lack of confidence which affected her serve.

What bothers me about Serena's game while losing in so many grand slam quarters (four in a row and counting) is that her speed of service declined with those losses which indicates a loss of confidence.

Confidence is everything on the professional level.

What would it take to get her confidence back? A little bit better foot speed and fitness should propel her in these tight quarterfinal situations. You have to have some type of motivation and confidence to go deep in the major draws.

I also think the slower court affected her game.

Serena plays better when no one expect her to win.She seems to have some problems with dealing with the pressure at slams since the Ao last year.Oh, and she can't always win with a serve and a return only(even if they're very effective).Her footwork and movemnt in general are still so poor for a player like her.

sweetpeas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Serena just lost.Plain and simpy!J.J play her butt off!Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!JJ will win this slam!!!Good luck young lady!

Pleasantville
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Jankovic returns big serves very well. But, ya know what...one that I think never gets that much attention paid to, which actually has a lot of merit (and I'm not saying thats the case today) is women's issues. You have to figure that there have to be some of those girls that are going through their periods at some point during the 2 weeks. Maybe thats why Maria couldn't get anything going last year. I don't know, but women's players have alluded to it before saying there are some days when a woman is going through "issues" and just doesn't have it. The only thing I know is that something clearly was not right with Serena today. I don't know what it was, but something was clearly off. Its not as if its the first time she's played Jelena, and she was in worse shape last year.

Hahaha, then justine's performance at GS last year would prove my point: she is a transvestite

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
The only possible reasons that the seriously sullen Serena lost to Jelena today are listed below, summarized from thousands of posts. The one certain thing gleaned from poster is that Jelena was not the better player today.

Reasons for the loss:

1. Serena was jinxed by PMac and Bud Collins, both of whom picked Serena for an easy win.

2. Serena was still upset that the AO Officials tried to force Venus off RLA.

3. Serena just wanted to open up the field for Venus to win it all.

4. Serena just couldn't wake up!!!

5. Jelena played so poorly, it brought Serena's game down.

6. Sereena broke her "lucky" racquet just when she was going to start her comeback in the match.

7. Serena's toe hurt.

8. Jelena just made too many lucky shots.

10. Serena got scared stiff just thinking about having to play either Justine or Pova in the next round.

There you have it!!! I am sure Serena and family and friends will be able to add to the list later today.

what goes around, comes around. :)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
lol at first i thought you were being serious

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Her forehand 9.5/10 (unless it was an easy put away) went cross court.
End of story.

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Her forehand 9.5/10 (unless it was an easy put away) went cross court.
End of story.

NO!!!!

1st Serve: 101 mph
2nd serve: 81 mph
END OF STORY

Cakeisgood
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
please...enough of these threads... she lost, get over it.

TYnis
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
When Serena loses confidence in her serve, she loses confidence in everything else.
End of Story.

Onyxangel
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
I just want to be able to declare: End of Story!

jujufreak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
When Serena loses confidence in her serve, she loses confidence in everything else.
End of Story.

= she lost it mentally

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
really next grand slam- this was kind of a one off

Destiny
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
don't start with those silly excuse
What the hell happened?
It will never be end of story for this match

sorceress
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
...because Jankovic capitalised on her mistakes.

gmokb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I honestly can't come up with a reason for the loss, just waiting on that interview

A Magicman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
I honestly can't come up with a reason for the loss, just waiting on that interview

Jelena was "lucky". :lol:

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
TBH, you can come up with all the excuses in the world. It doesn't matter, Serena is out ! :bounce:

treufreund
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Vaidisova's game is way too inconsistent and her groundstrokes are downright ugly. She is way too scared of serena. Jelena did not have these types of concerns. Her movement (even when injured) is intimidating and she is much more fluid than vaidisova.

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Re the "time of month" question: I am sure that all the players are on the pill (even the one's who are not having sexual intercourse)

up!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
if it is so simple to explain serena's loss, why didn't she know that and tried to change her game ?

Ova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
...She wasn't as good as Jelena today, plain and simple.

A Magicman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
one that I think never gets that much attention paid to, which actually has a lot of merit (and I'm not saying thats the case today) is women's issues. You have to figure that there have to be some of those girls that are going through their periods at some point during the 2 weeks. Maybe thats why Maria couldn't get anything going last year. I don't know, but women's players have alluded to it before saying there are some days when a woman is going through "issues" and just doesn't have it.

Even I as a man know that it is possible to delay having the red flood when it's needed. A GS, in my opinion, would be such a time of the year, when one could be thinking about delaying it if it causes one so much trouble.

Utautai
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=329728

Lolo8
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
She tanked the match because it's Venus turn to win. Serena already has three. This was all a plan by the Williams clan. They did this back in 2005 Wimbledon.The Plan might backfire because Venus hasn't produced any good tennis this tournament. Its a shame Richard told Serena to lose because she was playing great before the quarters.:lol:

Reuchlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
She tanked the match because it's Venus turn to win. Serena already has three. This was all a plan by the Williams clan. They did this back in 2005 Wimbledon.The Plan might backfire because Venus hasn't produced any good tennis this tournament. Its a shame Richard told Serena to lose because she was playing great before the quarters.:lol:

:lol::lol:

rottweily
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
-Serena didn't want another beat up by Justine and she could easily avoid it by losing now :D
-Or Serena trying to save up some juices to beat Justine but didn't work out that well.
-Quarterena

drez
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Where's the Juice Serena?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's got no pop in her shots against the top 5, neither the forehand nor the backhand. It's been like this since Miami, and even then she's been floating the balls.
I can't understand what's going through her mind. She must see how Venus is striking the ball with so much authority. At first, I also thought it was the movement, taking the small steps to get prepared. It isn't there yet, but even when she's in a position to strike the ball, her shots don't penetrate.
Probably confidence because she can bring it to lesser players, but she's got nothing against the top.
Maybe it because she's blessed with the best serve in woman's tennis, but that won't cut it when it not on and she's got NOTHING to fall back on, nor when Justine stand five behind the baseline to return.

That being said, I really do hope she works on her GROUNDGAME between now and Roland Garros. I think her confidence comes from her fitness (getting there, not there yet) and her strokes (to be unseen).

If this embarassement doesn't motivate her, then watching VENUS win the title hopefully will.

drez
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Where's the Juice Serena?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's got no pop in her shots against the top 5, neither the forehand nor the backhand. It's been like this since Miami, and even then she's been floating the balls.
I can't understand what's going through her mind. She must see how Venus is striking the ball with so much authority. At first, I also thought it was the movement, taking the small steps to get prepared. It isn't there yet, but even when she's in a position to strike the ball, her shots don't penetrate.
Probably confidence because she can bring it to lesser players, but she's got nothing against the top.
Maybe it because she's blessed with the best serve in woman's tennis, but that won't cut it when it not on and she's got NOTHING to fall back on, nor when Justine stand five behind the baseline to return.

That being said, I really do hope she works on her GROUNDGAME between now and Roland Garros. I think her confidence comes from her fitness (getting there, not there yet) and her strokes (to be unseen).

If this embarassement doesn't motivate her, then watching VENUS win the title hopefully will.

nelsondan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I really have to wonder if weight is a factor---is it possible that being thinner makes Serena wear down faster? I thought Sharapova looked unusually thin in the 2007 us open. I might be asking for trouble---but i honestly wonder.

Rik.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
ballkid :p

lover_of_myskina
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Serena has been very lucky to beat Nikki... :devil:
Today Serena lost her service a lot of time, but the first reason of her lose is the come back of Jelena ! :bounce:
It's the first great jelena's victory since a very long time !

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Doesn't matter. She lost. Next time better..she's become too serve-dependant. Needs to work on her ground-game.

G1Player2
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Doesn't matter. She lost. Next time better..she's become too serve-dependant. Needs to work on her ground-game.

I love you bandy. :hug:

Just Do It
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
She lost because she thought she willdismiss Jelena in 60 minutes, and Jelena showed she is the best against the best :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
When it comes to Serena, I'm surprised at how quiet things are.

I hope someone is not trying to rile things up.

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Serena's ground game doesn't penetrate like it used to. Her serve is still amazingly good, but her ground game is just :help: sometimes. She's hitting with so much damn topspin.

Kipling
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
11. the williams clan is the biggest bunch of excuse makers on the planet.

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
just an off day

she'll come back stronger :)

vettipooh
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
When it comes to Serena, I'm surprised at how quiet things are.

I hope someone is not trying to rile things up.

:lol: Now they can jump off Serena's back and onto Justine's.:tape: A bagel??