PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the best-looking women's tennis player right now?

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Similar to the story recently posted on stuff.co.nz (same poll and options)

When Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon in 2004, she was a 17-year-old Russian girl with little in the way of endorsements or recognition beyond tennis.

Winning the game's most storied tournament, however, catapulted her on to the tennis catwalk. Within 12 months, Sharapova was earning what sources estimate at $20.4 million in endorsements, far more than any other woman had garnered from the sport, only a few million shy of what Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf each earned in career prizemoney.

Ana Ivanovic says she has given little thought to the off-court consequences if she can break through here in Melbourne — or in London, New York or Paris — and win her first grand slam title.

"I have a great manager and I trust him in that part," said the photogenic Serb, whose 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) victory over Caroline Wozniacki yesterday put her into the quarterfinals. "So I don't think too much about that."

Here's what will happen, Ana, if you win a slam or two. Your combination of talent and looks will bring untold millions from international companies keen to flog their products. You will become even more famous and popular. You will earn a spot on the Young-and-Rich Lists, just beneath flaky actresses with drinking problems and a host of American basketballers and footballers.

In women's tennis, the equation is simple: Money equals looks plus talent ($ = L + T). The formula is not dissimilar to Hollywood, except that it's harder to hold down a part on the WTA Tour if you can't hit the lines.

Maria Kirilenko, like Ivanovic, doesn't think much about what might happen to her, marketing-wise, if she could win a slam, or even reach the final. She couldn't provide us with an answer on the question yesterday. "I don't know what to answer," she said, after losing in the fourth round to Daniela Hantuchova, another slavic player who's been spared the ugly stick, in three leggy sets.

If the soft drink companies and car manufacturers never came knocking for Arantxa Sanchez Vicario because she was a model player, without the hyphen, Kirilenko, on exposed form, doesn't quite have the game to name her own price. Her looks are insufficient.

In a website survey of fans last year (********************), Ivanovic, Sharapova and Kirilenko were ranked the tour's "top three babes", in that order, the Serbian brunette receiving 39.1 per cent of votes, to Sharapova's 15 per cent. Kirilenko received 12.9 per cent, a remarkable endorsement of her appeal, considering she's around the edges of the top 30, with minimal name recognition.

A prominent sports industry official estimated that Ivanovic's endorsements would leap to the $8 million-$9 million range if she won a slam. That's still some distance from the $30 million Sharapova is understood to be raking in for 2008, thanks to her deals with Sony-Ericsson and Canon, among others.

Sharapova was blessed to win Wimbledon at a time when the sport was looking for a looker who could seriously play. Anna Kournikova's appeal had opened up new frontiers for modelling players, but Anna, nice as she looked, didn't cut it on the court. Kournikova famously did not win a single title, though she somehow reached No. 8 in the rankings, for five minutes, in November 2000.

According to the industry executive, three other factors worked to Sharapova's advantage: she was confident in English; she was based in the US (Florida, of course); and she snatched the most prestigious slam, Wimbledon, as a teenager, which naturally excited corporate sponsors. The upshot was that her brand was international, and she could sell cell phones, not just Vodka.

Sania Mirza, India's No. 1, has significant appeal in her populous nation, which, considering what Australian cricketers earn from the subcontinent, should be enough to make her extremely wealthy. Mirza's attractiveness, however, is complicated by the fact she does not have much traction outside India. Sources said her conservative background — she is an Indian Muslim — does not fit well with the tight-fitting gear that brings attention.

Kirilenko, who is the same age as Sharapova, counts her compatriot as a friend, but does not view her as a role model.

For the less famous Maria, who has a contract to wear Stella McCartney clothes on court, it's all about tennis.

"No, I just want to play good tennis, I just want to be top 10, top five and then, if it's possible, No. 1. You know and then all the famous or popular will come with this.

"She did a good job, you know. She won a grand slam soon, she was 17. Of course it (fame, popularity) comes because of she's playing really good." Kirilenko's immediate goal is to make the top 10.

"I feel like I can be there. But I just need to still work really hard and don't lose these kind of matches."

Ivanovic is already popular with Australian audiences, a reflection of her connections with the country (she has relatives in Melbourne) and pleasant demeanour, as much as her beauty. Her first night match on centre court in a grand slam attracted higher than average ratings for Channel Seven.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4368287a1823.html

danieln1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Vaidisova

TFan1156
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Cibulkova or Julia Goerges

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
I like Mattek :p

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Still an easy answer for me!

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Caroline Wozniacki is cute and Sorana Cirstea.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hantuchova RAWR!!!!!

plantman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Caroline Wozniacki is cute and Sorana Cirstea.

:yeah:

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
All of them are pretty or at least cute imo (out of these 4).

moreaufr
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Anna Chakvetadze - www.annachakvetadze.com - special beauty

LudwigDvorak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Dementieva, Venus, Serena, Vaidisova, Kirilenko are the best looking for me.

Bartoli, Szavay, Zvonareva, Li, Safarova, Azarenka, Mirza, Hantuchova, Morigami, Vesnina, and Pin are cute. :)

wtatennisballer
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I dunno, theres some Scandanavian hotties out there in the top 150. Many Russians too. Wozniacki? Paszeck ?

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Anna Chakvetadze - www.annachakvetadze.com - special beautyI agree. She's very underrated imo.

Wayn77
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
Gisela Dulko

ninanina19
Also when it comes to best body, Jankovic is imo the winner. Followed by Hantuchova.

ninanina19
Gisela Dulko
Oh, I forgot her.

plantman
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Also when it comes to best body, Jankovic is imo the winner. Followed by Hantuchova.

Brings back memories of the swimsuit pics......JJ and Mauresmo by far the best bods!:)

moreaufr
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
I agree. She's very underrated imo.

I agree totally - I think Anna looks precious and beautiful -
first of all ladies night Linz - www.annachakvetadze.com

and Gisela Dulko is very pretty - http://sports.webshots.com/album/561702047DdbNih

and finally I agree: best body - Jelena Jankovic

Huntress555
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Ana Ivanovic and Masha :D

cartmancop
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
I saw Kirilenko for the first time in a while yesterday & she absolutely blew me away!!! She tops my list at the moment :)

dania
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Raluca Olaru and Anna Chakvetadze

canuckfan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I hope Anastasia Pivovarova makes a splash on the big tour this year.

From the pictures I've seen of her, she's striking.

Mightymirza
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
dementieva,mirza,ana!

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Snezana and Oracene :worship:

Stamp Paid
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
I like Domachowska. :o

nelsondan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Maria has a dimension we are not sure the others do. She is at ease in offcourt situations. She is very intelligent, with a wonderful dry wit---her personality works well---she seems very comfortable with herself. (call it confidence, conceit or arrogance if you wish).

Serena has a lot of this aspect of fame, also. She was spectacular on Letterman, for example.

You can say looks plus talent---and that can get a girl to one level---but the personality will make or break them in the long run.

CORIA01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
ana but I also like nicole

Marionated
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Elena Dementieva.

LeRoy.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
My new list

1) Ana Ivanovic
2) Maria Sharapova
3) Nicole Vaidisova
4) Marta Domachowska
5) Daniela Hantuchova
6) Dominika (?) Cibulkova
7) Elena Dementieva
8) Sania Mirza
9) Maria Kirilenko
10) Tatiana Golovin

Boreas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Gisela Dulko:D

DokicPova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Sharapova and kirilenko

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Sharapova's overrated face will have more fans now after she trashed Henin.

Scotso
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I wanted to pick Ana, but it would be a lie.

Maria K :hearts:

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Yaroslava Shedova (yari)

FrOzon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Only four choices??? :rolleyes:

Ivanovic and Kirilenko are very pretty,
Sharapova and Hantuchova look quite ordinary.

My choice is Chakvetadze! :cool:

BMP
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ana Ivanovic, Serena, Kirilenko, Wozniacki :)

So Disrespectful
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Obviously I'm always going to say Little Masha and Daniela, but Cirstea and Olaru are nice new faces. I agree that JJ has the best body.

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure Sharapova's overrated face will have more fans now after she trashed Henin.

Otherway round, she slipped from 2nd overall to 3rd overall since her win over Henin :confused:

sharapovarulz1
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Probably Maria K or Ana :) they both have such naturally gorgeous features!

samsam4087
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.sportenfolie.fr/photos-nues/maria-sharapova-nue-25.jpg

Shimizu Amon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I personally favorite Masha most.

justine schnyder
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Kirilenko, Hantuchova and I like JJ's look too, she's cool :)

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Lena D. isn't just the best-looking tennis player, she's the best-looking woman period.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
No question, there are more beautiful women in tennis than I can ever remember.

Dani, Masha K, Ana are all very pretty women. So are Tati, Anna, Alona, Venus and Elena. And others would regard Nicole, Maria S and Serena as being very attractive too. But these girls are all in the top 30. And while being in the top 30 makes them higher profile, more well known and hence more popular, it would be ridiculous to believe that the women's top 30 hold a monopoly on women's beauty in the WTA. Outside of the top 30 the women are just as beautiful.

It really is all very subjective and of course there is no one definitive answer to the thread's question. Everyone of us has our own concepts of beauty. But for the record the three tennis players that make me go :hearts: the most are Magda Rybarikova, Andrea Hlavackova and Iveta Benesova. Obviously I like Yari, Dani and Sania too.

Sagacious
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ana and Sania!

Wuornos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
I only have eyes for two.

Svetlana Kuznetsova and Jelena Janković.

Tim

V-MAC
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Jelena Dokic always for me :) She has those sexy "come to bed" eyes among other assets ;)

alfonsojose
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Stupid thread. Why being "beautiful" is important?

sonnys
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
:hearts:Maria Sharapova:hearts::hearts:

Bulgaria
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Tsvetana Pironkova. Trully beautiful. :inlove:

Wuornos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

It's not, but beauty does exist and the thread is just for fun.

Take care

Tim

daniela86
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I hope Anastasia Pivovarova makes a splash on the big tour this year.

From the pictures I've seen of her, she's striking.

I also find her beautiful :)
My top 5 beauties:

1. Maria Kirilenko
2. Gisela Dulko
3. Anastasia Pivovarova
4. Ana Ivanovic
5. Dominika Cibulkova

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM

Which brings up many other questions too.

Like....is anything really intrinsically important?

Is it important to be important?

What makes something important?

And so on.....

Poova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Maria Kirilenko by far. :hearts:

The girl could easily quit tennis and become a model. :p

moreaufr
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
It is easier with categories:

most graceful: Anna Chakvetadze
prettiest face: Gisela Dulko
the one, who is normally the dream of boys: Maria Kirilenko
best body: Jelena Jankovic
the best attitude of a diva: Daniela Hantuchova
the tempting next door girl: Jelena Dokic
the best marketing of her beauty: Ana Ivanovic
a special beauty, who is missing in the rankings: Viktoriya Kutuzova

Milito22
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
1 Kirilenko
2 Ivanovic
3 Mirza
4 Pironkova(best body)
5 Penetta

joćo.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Kirilenko is beautiful. I like Sharapova a lot too.
I never understand the adoration of Ana's beauty btw - i don't find her beautiful but that's just me, she's pretty period. Maybe it's because most of the tennis players aren't that good looking.

nelsondan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

I am a fan of Maria's---I love to check out her pictures, and videos, and I go buy all the stuff she advertizes, even if i have no use for it.

So what is this thing about her trashing Henin? I did not realize Maria was playing in the AO, I thought her shoulder was hurt, or something---did she say bad things about Justine? Was she bitter about losing to her, or something? That would be terrible! I guess she just isn't as great as I thought she was. Maybe she should just concentrate on getting her picture taken, and leave the tennis to Henin, and Serena---but still---you have to admit, even if her face is overrated---her legs are not all that bad.

*hingis_forever*
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ana Ivanovic
Maria Kirilenko
Elena Dementieva
Sorana Cirstea
Corinna Dentoni

And honorable mention to Lereesa Easterbrook who doesn't even have a WTA ranking but she's still beautiful!

ninanina19
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I think Dokic is the sexiest woman player. JJ is second. I think Serena is pretty sometimes. She's really hit or miss.

Freakan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Pennetta is so underrated in terms of her looks :(

imdamoon
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Elena Dementieva :)

Craigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Maria Kirilenko.

kolan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
domochowska is pretty

also wozniacki and chakvetadze.

Josh B.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
This is a tough desicion , purley cos all those ladies are hot, but ive been inlove with Mashas looks n personalit since i first saw her. couls we have some pics of the lovely ladies please?

corstea4life
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Their is no doubt that Ana Ivanovic is the best looking female on the tour. Hantuchova has a nice figure but if you look at her close and in real life she is nothing special. Could people please stop saying that Venus and Serena Williams are hot f**k!!! They are the ugliest people ever!

fatty sausage
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
VERY HOT: Sania M
HOT: Elena D, Maria K, Timea Bacsinszky, Anna C

Danči Dementia
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
I voted for Dani.....out of all these I think she is the most beautiful.....

Dementiva is the queen

rollup
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
See my sig :drool:

sorceress
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Their is no doubt that Ana Ivanovic is the best looking female on the tour. Hantuchova has a nice figure but if you look at her close and in real life she is nothing special. Could people please stop saying that Venus and Serena Williams are hot f**k!!! They are the ugliest people ever!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But for me it's Daniela,Ana and Maria K.
I really don't see the appeal for Sharapova,she's obviously attractive but I find her rather plain.

And even though JJ isn't exactly attractive,there's something really sexy about her.

And I also have to say with Daniela,she's obviously extremely intelligent and not just a pretty face.