PDA

View Full Version : Are Venus and Serena not Americans?

HippityHop
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
TTC had a trivia question about the last American doubles team to win a GS title before the Bryan Brothers. Martina and Renae thought long and hard but they assumed (as the question did) that the only doubles players are men. :mad:

Didn't V/S win Australia and RG in 2002 in doubles? I know that they won later than 2001. :(

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
TTC had a trivia question about the last American doubles team to win a GS title before the Bryan Brothers. Martina and Renae thought long and hard but they assumed (as the question did) that the only doubles players are men. :mad:

Didn't V/S win Australia and RG in 2002 in doubles? I know that they won later than 2001. :(
Their last doubles title was Australia 2002.

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
lol

Serenidad.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
They won AO 2003 as well. :rolleyes:

XaDavK_Kapri
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
2003, but I think that's what you meant :p

*hingis_forever*
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
I thought Hingis/Kournikova won AO 2002 over Sanchez Vicario/Hantuchova! :confused:

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:23 AM
They won AO 2003 as well. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the correction, my friend. ;)

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
2003, but I think that's what you meant :p
It was. Thanks. ;)

VishaalMaria
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM

BLUNDER!!! It was 2003.

You don't usually make mistakes but I want to draw attention to it. AHEM :P

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
I thought Hingis/Kournikova won AO 2002 over Sanchez Vicario/Hantuchova! :confused:
Actually, Hingis won the title, but since the rules say you have to have a partner..... ;)

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
BLUNDER!!! It was 2003.

You don't usually make mistakes but I want to draw attention to it. AHEM :P
That's my one for the year, so you may want to bookmark it. ;)

VishaalMaria
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
That's my one for the year, so you may want to bookmark it. ;)

LOL. I was just joking. So, in risk of totally changing the course of this post, what are yout thoughts on the whole Venus/moving courts saga? I'm just curious.

HippityHop
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
All of this of course misses the point. The question was "who was the last American team to win a Grand Slam title".

The answer that they gave was Johnson/Palmer who won Wimby in 2001.

However the point is that V/S won Wimby in 2002 and they won AO in 2001 and 2003.

I was just surprised that Martina would not even consider a women's team as the answer. If the question had asked for the last men's doubles team then I could see it.

One ponders..........

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
LOL. I was just joking. So, in risk of totally changing the course of this post, what are yout thoughts on the whole Venus/moving courts saga? I'm just curious.
I was glad that she stood up to Tennis Australia. They scheduled her and Mirza to be the first match of the night session on Laver, and all she did was make sure they stuck to the schedule. It wasn't their fault the Federer-Tipsarevic match ran long (that was a G-R-E-A-T match, by the way), so why should they be punished for it? Besides, there was a match in progress on Vodafone, so who knows when, or even IF, the Venus-Mirza match would have started. I also think the lateness of the hour only added to the drama of the Hewitt-Baghdatis match, so Venus definitely did the right thing.

darrinbaker00
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:41 AM
All of this of course misses the point. The question was "who was the last American team to win a Grand Slam title".

The answer that they gave was Johnson/Palmer who won Wimby in 2001.

However the point is that V/S won Wimby in 2002 and they won AO in 2001 and 2003.

I was just surprised that Martina would not even consider a women's team as the answer. If the question had asked for the last men's doubles team then I could see it.

One ponders..........
You obviously have the resources to look it up yourself, so one could argue that your original post was pointless. ;)

Bitter Blue Bong
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:41 AM
I saw this trivia question too. I'm guessing they were referring to men's doubles only, even though the question wasn't written well enough to spell that out.

HippityHop
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
You obviously have the resources to look it up yourself, so one could argue that your original post was pointless. ;)

Read the title of the thread. To me it seemed to be a complete dismissal of women's tennis and a complete dismissal of Venus and Serena as being an American team. You clearly don't think so. You'll live and so will I. ;)

VS Fan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
Didn't V&S win Wimbledon doubles in 2002 as well?? Or was that a later Wimbledon?? I think it was 2002 after Serena won the title.
I know that they have at least SIX Major Women's doubles titles. I think it is two AO, Two Wimby's, One French and One USopen.
I think their last win was AO 2003.

DefyingGravity
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I think they wanted men alone, not women, though the question was vaguely put "team"