PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic sends warning to Venus Williams

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
ANA Ivanovic has declared the time is right to extract some revenge from American Venus Williams, with the pair headed for a classic quarter-final showdown tomorrow.
But Williams, pressed about the revenge factor, last night used diplomatic card to perfection by refusing to bite back, saying only: "I think she's a great player. I know she'll do her best tomorrow."
Williams, seeded eight, holds a 4-0 career edge against the Serbian fourth seed.
Both players claimed straight-sets fourth-round victories yesterday -- Ivanovic beating Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki 6-1 7-6 (7-2) and Williams side-stepping Poland's Marta Domachowska 6-4 6-4.
The last time the pair met, at last year's US Open, Williams repeated the result at Wimbledon earlier in the year with a 6-4 6-2 win.
This time around, Ivanovic, 20, says the new Plexicushion surface at Melbourne Park, as well as an intense off-season fitness program, has her primed to reach the semi-finals of the Open for the first time.
"She's definitely a tough opponent," Ivanovic said. "Last two grand slams I lost to her. Exactly the time for some revenge. I think I'm a little bit of a different player. I've got fitter and stronger on the court.
"And also these courts are a little bit slower than US Open, so I think that's something that definitely suits me better because she's a big server and she likes to go for the big shots."
Ivanovic, a finalist at Roland Garros last year, underwent a tough fitness program at the end of last season in a bid to increase her upper-body strength.
She said the regime had given her greater confidence in competing with the likes of world No. 1 Justine Henin.
"Yeah, it's definitely a big part of my game, because now I feel much stronger out there and I feel I can keep up with these girls for a longer period of time," she said.

Ivanovic said Williams posed a massive challenge -- mentally as well as physically.
"Yeah, definitely it is, because she's a big hitter and she likes to dominate the rallies," Ivanovic said.
"So it will be just important for me to stay there, stay there with her, and still try to get that first shot."
Williams said: "Yeah, I do consider myself a big-match player. I do enjoy those times. I enjoy the challenge. And that's about it."
Both Ivanovic and Williams had to dig deep yesterday.
Ivanovic needed to save a set point in the 10th game of the second before serving out the match.
Williams was forced to battle hard against Domachowska before emerging in straight sets. She then went on the partner sister Serena and secure a berth in the fourth round of the women's doubles with a 6-4 6-1 win against Meilen Tu and Maret Ani.
The famous sisters remain on track to meet in Saturday's final with Serena to face third seed Jelena Jankovic, who beat Australian Casey Dellacqua on Sunday night, in today's quarter-finals.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23088164-11088,00.html

I like Ana but I think she's going to fall flat on her face.

Rtael
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Uhm you're reading way too much into that article. Try looking at her quotes, and not the crap that the writer puts in there.

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Eyeroll. The writer makes Ana seem like some disrespectful player, who doesn't have any respect for Venus at all.

Read her full interview. As a top five player, she's giving herself a chance, but she says it's going to be very difficult to beat Venus.

ico4498
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
its silly how journalists blow up an isolated comment beyond its context.

its not that the traditional press never went for an occasionally sensational headline to build interest, its more that the tactic is so overdone these days for cheap clicks ...

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Ana in two. :)

Ntour
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
i was just thnkmning after seeing venus play yesterday that ana is in with a real shot, now im not so sure

Ova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I hope that Ivanovic hits Venus in the head with a few balls.

GO ANA IN STRAIGHT SETS !!!! :devil: :bounce:

Ryan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
The headline is crap, Ana just says she is looking forward to the match and will have to raise her game against a champ like Venus.

Uranium
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
what a shame for her, shes gonna lose.
GO VENUS IN STRAIGHT SETS.

N_F_S
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yah, i agree with Ryan. I saw the Ana Speech in Eurosport and she didn't say anything wrong.

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
what a shame for her, shes gonna lose.
GO VENUS IN STRAIGHT SETS.Maybe you could first read what she said... oh wait, that's too complicated for you.

Ova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Venus doesn't stand a chance against a powerful Serbian like Ana.

Ana is going to hand Venus her own beating heart Mortal Kombat style.

Pureracket
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Venus doesn't stand a chance against a powerful Serbian like Ana.

Ana is going to hand Venus her own beating heart Mortal Kombat style.Hope it's not true, but HOT post all the same.

I LOVE Mortal Kombat.

lilimi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
the title is like ana has declared a war against Venus.
You read the article and there's a different story (which had been copy/paste in several articles).

Tennisaddict
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I really like Ana and she has improved in the movement department a lot but I still think that Venus is still too good to handle for Ivanovic at this point. I think Venus will beat her in three sets.