PDA

View Full Version : Favorite commentators

Uranium
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
there was a thread on least favorite commentator, so why not your favorite.
I like Mary Joe Fernandez and Pam Shriver, they're smart and have good tennis analysis and i agree with what they say for the most part.

liuxuan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
Pam Shriver, Virginia Wade, Barry Davies, John MacEnroe, David Mercer is good too, as is Simon Reed!

IceHock
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah Pam and Mary Jo are the best, I also liked Martina Navritilova on the tennis channel.

Uranium
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah Pam and Mary Jo are the best, I also liked Martina Navritilova on the tennis channel.

oo me 2, i loved how Martina says loopy:lol:

sfselesfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Martina has shown a lot of improvement with the AO. She's been a lot less negative this time.

I like MJ Fernandez, Dick Enberg, and (dare I say) Mary Carillo because she makes me laugh.

SF

Groenefelder25
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
chris bradnum and jo durie!

Geisha
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
I love Pam and MJF, especially when they are together! I like that they were top players and still know the players - MJF spoke about Lindsay, Jen, Monica, etc., which is super-funky.

FrOzon
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Swedish Eurosport: Maria Strandlund (don't know if she's still commentating)
German Eurosport: Bettina Schneider & Carsten Linke

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Mary Jo
Cliff Drisdale even though he mixes up Venus and Serena
Dick Enberg
Mary Carillo :lol: even though some times I don't agree with her.

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM
I love it when Pam and Mary Joe commentate together.

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Todd Woodbridge, Darren Cahill, Tracy Austin I think is alright...thats probably it. Australian commentators are pretty shit!

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
^ Agreed. Pam and MJF really balance each other nicely.

I hate pretty much all the men. They don't know what they're talking about and it makes me irritated because casual fans hear them and think it's truth. Like Bud Collins when he gets people losses/names etc. wrong. Fowler is really bad, even though he's not a commentator but more of a host. Fowler just doesn't know anything about the sport! [ He does College Football and when CFB isn't on, ESPN makes him do tennis. ]

Havok
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Mary Carillo, Virginia Wade, Virginia Rizuici (think that's how you spell her name). Pam Shriver is growing on me. John McEnroe is really fun to listen to as well. Jim Courrier is also pretty decent.

All, however, are unbearable when Federer plays because they continuously lick his nutsack.

Havok
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Todd Woodbridge, Darren Cahill, Tracy Austin I think is alright...thats probably it. Australian commentators are pretty shit!
I'm also really enjoying Darren Cahill in the commentating booth as well. Nice addition to the team, if it's only for the Aussie Open anyways.

Wayn77
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Frew McMillan
Peter Fleming
John McEnroe
Tracy Austin
Virginia Wade
Martina Navratilova
Mats Willander
Jo Durie
Chris Bradnam
Simon Reed
Boris Becker

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Bud Collins
Mary Joe and
All of the friendly Australian ones

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
o and cliffy

RenaSlam.
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
I like John McEnroe much more than his brother Patrick.

Mary Joe is not biased and as bitchy as Carillo and ESP Shriver.

Cliff is a puppet...I think Darren Cahill is excellent and gives great insight.

sfselesfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
I'm also really enjoying Darren Cahill in the commentating booth as well. Nice addition to the team, if it's only for the Aussie Open anyways.

Darren Cahill (aka "killer") is dead to me after Wimbledon 2007. He's a pompous, moronic, asshole.

SF

Elisse
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Spanish Eurosport - Manuel Poyan :worship:
BBC - Sam Smith
BBC - John McEnroe
BBC - Martina Navratilova
BBc - Greg Rusedski (at Wimbledon last year)

:D

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:53 PM
Navratilova, Cliffy, and Mary Joe (when not partnered with Pam or Mary)

Pam and Mary are bitches. Both McEnroes are dicks.

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
When I get to download a match of British commentary, it adds so much to it. Chris Bradnum and Jo Durie are the perfect team for me, I love how positive and enthusiastic they are. British fans are so blessed with their coverage and their commentators.

That said, I do enjoy Pam Shriver more and more every major. She's a good balance of humour, knowledge, and I like her voice, it kind of cracks me up. And even though Carillo can be annoying, she does have the voice and says interesting things. John Macenroe is a great one too.

And I've only heard Martina Navratilova once, in my download of Maria-Serena AO Semi 2005, and I loved her commentary during that match. Sadly I never got to hear the controversial things Mary Carillo said, so I got to just enjoy the match with Martina's commentary. I adore her voice.

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
ever since Cahill tried to get V eliminated at the French I scratched him off my list. :(

Serenidad.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Martina N and some English Guy don't know his name, but he says insightful things.

McEnroe trips me out.

Serenidad.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
ever since Cahill tried to get V eliminated at the French I scratched him off my list. :(

What happened in this incident. I know nothing. :confused:

racketspeed
sam smith and jo durie are the best, and they're unbiased too.

CJ07
John McEnroe, Mary Joe Fernandez

Marcus1979
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I like Kerryn Pratt :)

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Forgot Sam Smith.
And Bud Collins. :lol: I don't care if he gets shit wrong. His little anecdotes and stories are hilarious, and add a little flavour when they use him moderation. He reminds me of my grandpa.

Wayn77
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Peter "Big Mouth" Fleming does a lot of stuff on Eurosport, commentating and studio analysis.

I like him, he cracks me up. :lol:

Does he do any commentating in The States?

dybbuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Jo Durie!

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
What happened in this incident. I know nothing. :confused:

Cahill claimed that Venus was wearing grass court shoes on clay and went all the way to the tournament director or something and accused her, only to find out that they were clay court shoes. :weirdo: I don't know if he told the chairman of the match too or not.

mauresmofan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Virgina Wade - she's so posh and has a good sense of humour and Jo Durie is brilliant really easy voice to listen to and no ego. Martina N at Wimbledon is the only time I heard her and she was really knowledgeable and was interesting to listen to. And of course that great guy that retired at Wimbledon in 06 for the BBC he was fantastic!

mauresmofan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Cahill claimed that Venus was wearing grass court shoes on clay and went all the way to the tournament director or something and accused her, only to find out that they were clay court shoes. :weirdo: I don't know if he told the chairman of the match too or not.

Is that not legal because that is exactly what the great Steffi Graf used to do at the French Open every year and she told Agassi to do it too!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Jo Durie for British Eurosport. Has soo much expertise but isnt persistent on people's mistakes. Love her

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
I guess not

LudwigDvorak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Jo Durie
Sam Smith
CHRIS BRADNAM :worship:
Mary Joe Fernandez
Pam Shriver
Martina Navratilova (although she dominates the commentary booth like crazy :lol: )

Uranium
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Is that not legal because that is exactly what the great Steffi Graf used to do at the French Open every year and she told Agassi to do it too!

i think i remember them saying you can'tdo it anymore, i think because it ruins the clay court.