PDA

View Full Version : Na Li calls for the Australian Open to be moved to Shanghai

spiceboy
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23080449-5010361,00.html

Call to move Open to Shanghai

http://saturn.tiser.com.au/images/AE2.gif (http://mercury.tiser.com.au/ADCLICK/CID=fffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/acc_random=15138635/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=43877237)January 20, 2008

CHINESE No1 Li Na called for the Australian Open to be moved to Shanghai , saying the city's climate was better for tennis than Melbourne.
Li backed the prospect of shifting the season-opening Grand Slam, which has been played in Australia since 1905, after losing to Polish qualifier Marta Domachowska 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the third round of this year's tournament.

“I'd like it in Shanghai,” the tournament 24th seed said.

“It would be only and hour-and-a-half (flight) from my hometown (Wuhan).

“Also the weather for us is tough, it's so hot in Australia. It wasn't too bad this year but last year it was tough.

“In China at this time of year it's colder, better weather for tennis.”

Defending Australian Open champions Roger Federer and Serena Williams have opposed any move to switch the tournament's venue,

Federer, who has won three of his 12 Grand Slam trophies in Melbourne, said Australia's rich history in hosting a tennis major since 1905 should be respected, rather than rotate it to Asia-Pacific nations like China or Japan.

The 2007 Australian Open drew record crowds of 554,858 and has topped a half-million fans for the fortnight since 2000.

Li, a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon in 2006, was philosophical about her Australian Open exit, saying she was satisfied with her performance at the tournament.

She won an Open lead-up tournament on Australia's Gold Coast and was hoping to replicate her good form throughout the year.

“It's been good, I've only lost once this year.”

On the loss to Domachowska, she joked: “It's OK, it gives me more time to go shopping.”
http://mercury.tiser.com.au/nserver/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=1 (http://mercury.tiser.com.au/adclick/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=1)

IceHock
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
that's retarded, I like Na and all but she's just saying it because it suits her better.

njnetswill
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
:spit:

I am a huge Li Na fan, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Who wants to bet the CTF pressured her into saying that? :o

Hachiko
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
I can't see it moving anytime soon, especially now with the new surfaces and all.

njnetswill
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
:spit:

I am a huge Li Na fan, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Who wants to bet the CTF pressured her into saying that? :o

PointBlank
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
shut the fuck up.

Dave.
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. :help: It's the Australian Open.

Sam L
Na Li, please read some books on tennis history. :weirdo:

China thinks it owns the sport because it has a few women in the Top 50-100. :rolleyes:

Patty Choker
Na is off her rockerhttp://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2319/wierdogn1.gif

RJWCapriati
What a moronic thing to even mention - this slam belongs in Melbourne forever.

Wannabeknowitall
If we moved the Australian Open to Shanghai Na Li would have still lost to Marta.

She can be really annoying.

sfselesfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:46 PM
yeah, uhh...good luck with that.

SF

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
arent their air quality problems in shanghai? so how is the "climate" better....

nathie
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
At Wimbledon, every year it rains all the time ... so to which other country should Wimbledon be moved ?

:fiery: :fiery:

Tamus
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
:haha: I guess then it would really be The Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific.

kolan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Its called the australian open for a reason.

Good luck to her in her quest for a new slam "The China Open" She will still lose even then :devil:

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:53 PM
So will it be renamed The Australian-Shanghai Open? :lol:

jonny84
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
I doubt that it will move, though she has a point cos it is known as the Grand Slam of Asia and the Pacific, so I can kind of see her comment!

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
na ,, wht u chat bout girl???

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:56 PM
This kind of thing wouldn't happen if people actually knew how the Grand Slams came about. They didn't just pick four random countries, you know? :rolleyes:

Njay16
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
She acts as if she is the only player that has to make a huge adjustment to the conditions. :lol::lol:

Ryan
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Li should be bitchslapped back to Shanghai where she can play in her "better" weather and heavily polluted air. Maybe if the Chinese men start doing something and their female players get some personality then I could see having a Tier 1 there....whoops, too late. The androids should shut up.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
relax! Na is just stating her opinion.
I for my self think China or shall I say Asia deserves a slam location.
But they could create a fifth slam and not transferring AO to Shanghai because its not possible.

davidmario
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
there are 4 major cities in the world: NY, Paris, London, Tokio and Shanghai is known to be the next world-city. NY, Paris and London all have a grandslam so why not shanghai? What about a fifth grandslam? They could skip the senseless desert tournament INDIAN WELLS. Few people come to watch and also few players come to play there.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM
you cant buy a slam :weirdo:

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Li should be bitchslapped back to Shanghai where she can play in her "better" weather and heavily polluted air. Maybe if the Chinese men start doing something and their female players get some personality then I could see having a Tier 1 there....whoops, too late. The androids should shut up.

Yeah, I'm sick of these manufactured tennis players. They're so generic.

TheBoiledEgg
there are 4 major cities in the world: NY, Paris, London, Tokio and Shanghai is known to be the next world-city. NY, Paris and London all have a grandslam so why not shanghai? What about a fifth grandslam? They could skip the senseless desert tournament INDIAN WELLS. Few people come to watch and also few players come to play there.

i dont see people of 100+ nations in Shanghai for like ever. :o

nozaroc
Good idea. Then, let's move Wimbledon to Canada. Instead of strawberries and cream, they can have Moosehead and poutine.

Carsten
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
:help:

sfselesfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM

Not exactly 100% true.

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Cities

SF

Geisha
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Good idea. Then, let's move Wimbledon to Canada. Instead of strawberries and cream, they can have Moosehead and poutine.

Yes, because poutine is the only thing Canadians eat.

Ryan
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:05 PM

Sorry, who says Shanghai is the #5 most known city in the world? What about Los Angeles, or New Delhi, or Madrid? I just dont see why the most "well known" cities DESERVE a slam. Tennis has a history in Australia, and if the tourney was moved you would have MASSIVE protests an boycotts.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I hate when there's talk of adding a 5th slam or moving a grandslam to a different part of the year etc; This just takes the cake though :lol:

Geisha
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Shanghai should start with a WTA tournament, LMAO! That's the first step.

nathie
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:08 PM
a fifth grandslam ? ... and why not a 6th or a 7th ... or even 10th one !!! ... :tape:

A Magicman
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:08 PM
What climate? All that Shanghai has is smog. :lol:

http://www.umdiewelt.de/photos/1568/1405/45/148577.jpg

Something money can't buy is a GS tournament. :p

Paul.
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM
Oh my God, what is all the fuss about?

Before everyone starts crucifying her, why don't you think about the context of her answer?

It's not like she just randomly said "I think the Australian Open should be moved to Shanghai!" She was probably asked what she thought of the idea and of course she's going to say she likes it, as it would be really cool for her. If someone asked me what I thought about building an exact replica of Wimbledon and having the tournament in my back garden I probably would say "I'd like it to be there".

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
I like Na, she is one of my favourites, but lol

anyway, how about if Shanghai has both the Year ending championships, FOREVER!

That might stop them from buying tennis tournaments and destroying it!

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
:weirdo:

This is simply ridiculous. :rolleyes: :o

Mikey B
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
no way!!! shanghai of all places!! lol!!

treufreund
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ewww gross not Shanghai. Bugger off, Li!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Before all of you act histerically to the idea of a fifth slam, think first.
Things change, things do develope. Who would have thought that Argentina would produce a basketball champion team wayback in the 80's or 90's? Who would have thought that NBA dream team is beatable?
We should all be open to development or shall i say Globalization. China is one of the top rising country in the world right now. Shanghai is becoming a major destination specially that Olympics will be held there this year. Speaking about culture? China has the oldest culture even before America was discovered.
I know, changes is hard specially when people are already so much accostumed to something.
I'm not saying that AO should be move. But the idea of having a Grandslam in China is not a ridicolus idea.

aussie12
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
oh li wat are u thinking. aussie open gets some of the best crowds, has some of the best facilities and unlike china, australia has a player in the final 16 of each draw this year. oh and melbourne isnt highly polluted.

Wiggly
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
All four GS' countries have a strong tennis and sports history.
China? Not at all.

You're noit going to get a GS because you have of tons of players on the Tour but with no tradition and no results.

LindsayRulz
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM

It's your post that is senseless :tape:

It's not because the sisters skip this tournament that it means nobody play it...

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Na :rocker2: :worship:

Kenny
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'd like the Australian Open in Shanghai! LMAO

coookoooo cookooo!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
All four GS' countries have a strong tennis and sports history.
China? Not at all.

You're noit going to get a GS because you have of tons of players on the Tour but with no tradition and no results.
Argentina does'nt have any basketball history until they beat the NBA dream team and the rest of the world now is capturing the NBA top teams- Nowitzki, Parker, Ginobili, etc..........

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
It's your post that is senseless :tape:

It's not because the sisters skip this tournament that it means nobody play it...

IW was actually weak last year.... the williams werent the only ones not playing it... but yeah Im against moving a slam/ adding a 5th.... but even if a 5th was added.... it shouldnt be in China.... too much pollution... Many players are weary of the Olympics this year and you want to give them a GS? please...

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Oh, god! :o Can't she read English - Australian Open? :lol:

Ellery
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM

Before everyone starts crucifying her, why don't you think about the context of her answer?

It's not like she just randomly said "I think the Australian Open should be moved to Shanghai!" She was probably asked what she thought of the idea and of course she's going to say she likes it, as it would be really cool for her. If someone asked me what I thought about building an exact replica of Wimbledon and having the tournament in my back garden I probably would say "I'd like it to be there".

Finally a post that makes sense. :worship: Geez.

Mr_Molik
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM
fuck off na li

sfselesfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Okay Na. How about winning the AO, then maybe we can entertain the notion. Until then STFU.

SF

PaulHopkins
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
hmmm I don't know about scrapping the AO but I definitely think it should be a few weeks later in the calendar.

Matt01
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Okay Na. How about winning the AO, then maybe we can entertain the notion. Until then STFU.

You are very nasty. :)

twight6
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM

http://saturn.tiser.com.au/images/AE2.gif (http://mercury.tiser.com.au/ADCLICK/CID=fffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/acc_random=15138635/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=43877237)January 20, 2008

CHINESE No1 Li Na called for the Australian Open to be moved to Shanghai , saying the city's climate was better for tennis than Melbourne.
Li backed the prospect of shifting the season-opening Grand Slam, which has been played in Australia since 1905, after losing to Polish qualifier Marta Domachowska 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the third round of this year's tournament.

“Also the weather for us is tough, it's so hot in Australia. It wasn't too bad this year but last year it was tough.

Defending Australian Open champions Roger Federer and Serena Williams have opposed any move to switch the tournament's venue,

Federer, who has won three of his 12 Grand Slam trophies in Melbourne, said Australia's rich history in hosting a tennis major since 1905 should be respected, rather than rotate it to Asia-Pacific nations like China or Japan.

The 2007 Australian Open drew record crowds of 554,858 and has topped a half-million fans for the fortnight since 2000.

Li, a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon in 2006, was philosophical about her Australian Open exit, saying she was satisfied with her performance at the tournament.

She won an Open lead-up tournament on Australia's Gold Coast and was hoping to replicate her good form throughout the year.

On the loss to Domachowska, she joked: “It's OK, it gives me more time to go shopping.”

That statement sort of ruins the whole thing for me :o. Clearly it's a personal thought. When I read the thread title I thought: "Gee, I wonder why." I'm willing to bet that if you asked Nicole Vaidisova where she would like a slam she'd pick Prague :lol:

But at the same time, people may be being a little rough on her. I mean, just read her answers, I'm sure she was asked something like: "It's called the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific and there's talk about moving it out of Australia. Where would you like it to be?" Sort of a fair answer if you consider the question.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
Argentina does'nt have any basketball history until they beat the NBA dream team and the rest of the world now is capturing the NBA top teams- Nowitzki, Parker, Ginobili, etc..........

This makes absolutely no sense.You do know that the NBA has been promoting basketball worldwide for years right? Do you think these players just got good on their own? Many of the foreign players attended college in the US too.

wally1
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
It should stay in Melbourne of course, but the aussies sort of leave themselves open to this sort of speculation (if not the reality of anything happening), with this "Grand Slam of the Asia/Pacific" marketing bullshit. What's wrong with just being the Australian Open? Because if you're the grand slam of the whole asia/pacific, then why should the tournament just be played in Australia? Why not rotate between Australia, China, Japan, India etc.

Harvs
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
she shouldnt have said that... totally biased opinion... ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeeeeeeeee

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Before all of you act histerically to the idea of a fifth slam, think first.
Things change, things do develope. Who would have thought that Argentina would produce a basketball champion team wayback in the 80's or 90's? Who would have thought that NBA dream team is beatable?
We should all be open to development or shall i say Globalization. China is one of the top rising country in the world right now. Shanghai is becoming a major destination specially that Olympics will be held there this year. Speaking about culture? China has the oldest culture even before America was discovered.
I know, changes is hard specially when people are already so much accostumed to something.
I'm not saying that AO should be move. But the idea of having a Grandslam in China is not a ridicolus idea.

Yes, but the grand slams aren't about major cities and globalization: they're about tradition. You can't just add in a grand slam, it would ruin what a grand slam is: tradition. I think it's great what the tour is doing with the YEC, moving it around the world to different major tennis sites. But, the grand slams are special for a reason, and I think adding a 5th would not only lower the other 4, but at the same time that 5th one would never be considered as prestigious.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Where are posters like super_na and all that? They need to answer for their favourite's stupidity. :weirdo:

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Weren't you guys watching TV when Bud asked Serena what she thought about moving the Australian Open?
Serena: "The Australian Open belongs in Australia," she said this week. "I can't imagine it being anywhere else."

Now imagine if Serena was from China. You don't think she would've responded similar to what Na Li? It is called the grand slam of the Asia Pacific, so obviously people are talking about moving it around Asia, and the biggest advocates of the move are obviously going to be people from Asia Pacific.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
my lovely super na :hearts:

gonna to have a super tier 1 tournament in China very soon anyway, dont be so greedy, na :angel: :p

andrewC
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Well the "Australian Open" is a big clue, it should probably stay in Australia for posterity :lol:

I think the author was a bit cheeky...
"Li backed the prospect of shifting the season-opening Grand Slam, which has been played in Australia since 1905, after losing to Polish qualifier Marta Domachowska 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the third round of this year's tournament."

It put words in her mouth, as if she called for this as a result of losing early in the tournament and blaming the weather. anything in quotes that Na actually said is not making excuses for her performance. Just making that clear!

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
It should stay in Melbourne of course, but the aussies sort of leave themselves open to this sort of speculation (if not the reality of anything happening), with this "Grand Slam of the Asia/Pacific" marketing bullshit. What's wrong with just being the Australian Open? Because if you're the grand slam of the whole asia/pacific, then why should the tournament just be played in Australia? Why not rotate between Australia, China, Japan, India etc.

Exactly. It's like the US Open being the "Grand Slam of the Americas". It says US in its name, but it's going to claim to be for all of the Americas??? All Tennis Australia is doing is bringing controversy by calling it that. I mean, Canada and Mexico and Brazil aren't upset because it's the US Open. They aren't pushing for it to be called the Grand Slam of the Americas... So why does Australia think that the countries of Asia care that it's the Australian Open?

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Where are posters like super_na and all that? They need to answer for their favourite's stupidity. :weirdo:

well, i am more interested in ur :weirdo: questions like Russian or Chinese threats :lol: :haha:

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Weren't you guys watching TV when Bud asked Serena what she thought about moving the Australian Open?
Serena: "The Australian Open belongs in Australia," she said this week. "I can't imagine it being anywhere else."

Now imagine if Serena was from China. You don't think she would've responded similar to what Na Li? It is called the grand slam of the Asia Pacific, so obviously people are talking about moving it around Asia, and the biggest advocates of the move are obviously going to be people from Asia Pacific.

No, Serena wouldn't be that stupid. She'd realize that calling it the "Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific" is simply a marketing ploy to get Asian tourism. :haha:

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
the chinese government must have told her to say that or else risk being yanked from the courts again.

you know, they are still communists. i say grand slams should not be in communist countries like china. they limit the growth of their players by controlling all of their actions. they determine how much you play and when. too bad players nowadays don't have the guts to defect.

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
No, Serena wouldn't be that stupid. She'd realize that calling it the "Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific" is simply a marketing ploy to get Asian tourism. :haha:

True :ras: :lol:

But, what about Venus?

Just kidding, of course :lol: I don't think Venus is dumb either :p

aussie12
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
its still called the australia open, grand slam of asia/pacific is just a marketing ploy for all the asians who come to aus.

cypher_88
:lol: Li = :cuckoo:, if she actually thought this for herself.

if it's the Communist Party in China then they are the :weirdo:

cellophane

How about you answer for yours first? :weirdo: So many crazy people in this thread...but then that's typical. She didn't say "Move AO to Shanghai pronto!" just that she would like it there.... Some people really need better reading skills.

QUEENLINDSAY
This makes absolutely no sense.You do know that the NBA has been promoting basketball worldwide for years right? Do you think these players just got good on their own? Many of the foreign players attended college in the US too.
This argentinian teams does'nt even speak english well so I dont think they attended any college team in the US. Most international marquee players in the NBA now are from international competitions like FIBA and not from NCAA.
Yes, they have been promoting basketball worldwide, but as well as Tennis isn't it?
My only point is, people are acting like China does'nt deserve any SLAM at all because they dont have any grandslam champion at all, etc.... and to the extent of not having any tennis history at all.
Argentina's number one sport is also soccer but they are the number one team in Basketball right now.
Even NBA commisioner David Stern is working on right now on developing an NBA play schedule out of USA just to accomodate its globalization, so why not Tennis? The only issue on NBA he said was the travel time between countries considering they are playing a full season of six months basketball playing almost every other day.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
the chinese government must have told her to say that or else risk being yanked from the courts again.

you know, they are still communists. i say grand slams should not be in communist countries like china. they limit the growth of their players by controlling all of their actions. they determine how much you play and when. too bad players nowadays don't have the guts to defect.

I think you'll get killed if you try to defect from China. This is why I was opposed to China getting the Olympics too.

As far as I'm concerned, the next Olympics are in London.

HAOCHEN-GOAT

Well just like she said to Domachowska fans:

Shut up! :cool: :rocker2: :haha:

andrewC
...;12362476']she shouldnt have said that... totally biased opinion... ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeeeeeeeee

lol and australians defending their australian open is not similarly "totally biased"? :rolleyes:

What a load of fuss about nothing!

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM

u must be new :lol: na li said something bad on CTA few times in the past years :o and shuai peng annoyed CTA too. thats y they are not CTA favourite girls like yan zi and zheng jie :p

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
How about you answer for yours first? :weirdo: So many crazy people in this thread...but then that's typical. She didn't say "Move AO to Shanghai pronto!" just that she would like it there.... Some people really need better reading skills.

It doesn't matter if she's saying move there now or she would like it to be moved there. She's showing her ignorance by even entertaining the idea of moving it there. :help:

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM

apparantly, australia is already in the asia pacific so why would the tournament need to be moved?

to be honest, it's hard to know what chinese players truly think because they are like puppets being controlled by their government. i wonder if she has the guts to speak out about how chinese tennis players can be sent to the farm at any time.

asian countries have not fielded any top level players. i think they should focus on making the tournaments they have a success over the long haul. i also think they should focus on learning how to produce top shelf players.

kirilenko_ishot
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM

yeah the climate is so much better with the smog/pollution and an average temperature of around -1 C

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
u must be new :lol: na li said something bad on CTA few times in the past years :o and shuai peng annoyed CTA too. thats y they are not CTA favourite girls like yan zi and zheng jie :p

i suppose that's why she didn't play recently, just disappeared - she was "injured." she just has a mind of her own.

in reality, she is OWNED.

Ellery
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
It doesn't matter if she's saying move there now or she would like it to be moved there. She's showing her ignorance by even entertaining the idea of moving it there. :help:

So if a Chinese reporter asks her,¨"would you like it if it was moved to China, or maybe Shanghai", she is supposed to say "Of course not. The very idea of having the Slam so close home is appalling!" Plus her comment about it being so close to Wuhan sounds kind of tongue-in-cheek.

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM

So you're telling me that you dont' think it would be nice to have a grand slam tournament in your home town, or within a half hours flight?

That's all she was saying...

twight6
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
apparantly, australia is already in the asia pacific so why would the tournament need to be moved?

to be honest, it's hard to know what chinese players truly think because they are like puppets being controlled by their government. i wonder if she has the guts to speak out about how chinese tennis players can be sent to the farm at any time.

asian countries have not fielded any top level players. i think they should focus on making the tournaments they have a success over the long haul. i also think they should focus on learning how to produce top shelf players.

Because it's sort of :bs: for a tournament to say it represents the entire Asia Pacific, when it is only in one small part of it every year. Not to mention the fact that if it's going to represent the entire region, it's in a pretty crapp place (geography wise).

And, she is not stating this on behalf of her country, and it's sort of ridiculous to say she is. It was an opinionated question. As I said above: if you were asked, 100% opinion, where you wanted a grand slam tournament, wouldn't you say your home town? (or the closest major city to it?

LudwigDvorak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'd like a slam in Russia or China. Just me. :shrug: The AO has its perks but I'd like to see a fifth slam...four just doesn't seem like enough, but it's all fine.

Tennis articles always put words in the player's mouths or twist shit up. I take what I read in sports with a grain of salt.

cellophane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM

You don't get it...AGAIN. :weirdo: She doesn't say she wants it moved there... She says she would like it there better in theory... It's like me saying I wish I went to school in Australia and not Canada now, because there is no snow there now. Get it?

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
So you're telling me that you dont' think it would be nice to have a grand slam tournament in your home town, or within a half hours flight?

That's all she was saying...

Well my hometown is Sydney. But let's say I live in South America, my answer would be NO. I just don't play and watch tennis, I'm a student of tennis history too. And TRADITION is very important. You can't just go change things for your or anyone's convenience.

So if I lived in Rio, no I wouldn't say it'll be a good idea to have a slam in Rio.

That's the problem with tennis. You have players created just for money etc not because they like or want to play tennis. China is manufacturing tennis players like they're manufacturing swimmers, gymnasts and other sports people especially for the Olympics.

China so wants to be the next USA in sports but you can't get success by manufacturing. At most they'll produce a bunch of Top 50-100 players but that's it.

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
You don't get it...AGAIN. :weirdo: She doesn't say she wants it moved there... She says she would like it there better in theory... It's like me saying I wish I went to school in Australia and not Canada now, because there is no snow there now. Get it?

She should NOT like it. Get it?

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Because it's sort of :bs: for a tournament to say it represents the entire Asia Pacific, when it is only in one small part of it every year. Not to mention the fact that if it's going to represent the entire region, it's in a pretty crapp place (geography wise).

And, she is not stating this on behalf of her country, and it's sort of ridiculous to say she is. It was an opinionated question. As I said above: if you were asked, 100% opinion, where you wanted a grand slam tournament, wouldn't you say your home town? (or the closest major city to it?

who knows how much of a talking to she's had with the officials in her country. her answer is completely stupid. in light of the tension or arguments flying over the "location" of the tournament, she should have had a better response.

like, "the australian open has had a great tradition as a grand slam tournament. it would be fantastic if china or a mainland asian country also got a grand slam one day."

how simple is that? nobody is gonna be too pissed about that statement. but no, she just showed how dumb she is by making what really is an inflammatory statement considering the current mood.

as far as my "hometown" having a grand slam - well, my hometown is los angeles. us angelos do have a rivalry with new york but i am realistic to know that new york is probably the best place for the us open right now.

i don't think na li understands that the best for the australian open is in australia. :lol:

HenryMag.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
a fifth grandslam ? ... and why not a 6th or a 7th ... or even 10th one !!! ... :tape:

I agree!! Forget the Tier I!! Grand Slams to all!!

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
The girl said she'd like the Australian open closer to home because it'd be more convenient.

It really is no big deal.

Honestly I fail to see how this has sparked such venom against her.

cellophane
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
The girl said she'd like the Australian open closer to home because it'd be more convenient.

It really is no big deal.

Honestly I fail to see how this has sparked such venom against her.

Surely you jest. :lol:

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Indeed I do jest sir - what was your first clue ? :p

Junex
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
ugh...Give Li Na some slack...

It was TA/AO Organizers idea in the first place... to move around the Open in cities in the Asia Pacific.

Of course when a chinese citizen would be asked if she is in favor for a prestigious event to be held in her home country, she would rightly say so.

She was asked, she answered, it is her opinion, maybe influenced by CTF, but it's juust her opinion...... It will still be TA/AO Organizers' final say that will matter

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:23 AM
*cough* at least there isn't a pollution problem in Melbourne

dybbuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Wasn't Serena asked about this in a press conference as well? I had never heard that this was being discussed before this last week. :confused:

kittyking
Na Li, please read some books on tennis history. :weirdo:

China thinks it owns the sport because it has a few women in the Top 50-100. :rolleyes:

Give her some slack, I hate to know what sort of books are in Chinese Libraries :lol:

Serenidad.
Most of the big names are saying stay. Someone ranked in top 25 is not going to have any weight.

At any rate if it were to move at best it would be a rotating type deal not a complete and permanent change to Shanghai.

moby
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Indeed I do jest sir - what was your first clue ? :pFor me it was the banner right at the top that said WTAworld. :shrug:

JennyS
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. :help: It's the Australian Open.

yeah and while we're at it, let's move the US Open to Canada, the French Open to Spain and Wimbledon to Germany:)

~Kiera~
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Apparently, it's not that crazy an idea. There's actually a bit of media coverage about this very thing.

Melbourne's contract to host the AO runs out in 2016 and there are concerns, in Australia, that China will be competing for the event. Whether these concerns are actually valid is another matter though.

hablo
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Before criticizing Li Na so harshly, one should wonder what question was asked of her and how it was phrased and the context.

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
Before criticizing Li Na so harshly, one should wonder what question was asked of her and how it was phrased and the context.

Thats like taking into consideration when Ron Paul said 'Black people aren't considerate'. It doesn't matter all that much which context it was put in, they are both stupid things to say.

saniapower
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
Li u just shut up

Ellery
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
Thats like taking into consideration when Ron Paul said 'Black people aren't considerate'. It doesn't matter all that much which context it was put in, they are both stupid things to say.

So if a Chinese reporter had asked her "Hey, what would you think if we were to move a Slam to China" she should have answered "That would be dumb. I really don't like the idea of having a Slam in my country." :rolleyes: Look, for all that we know she could just have been humoring a reporter. Yes, perhaps she could have given a more diplomatic answer about the Australian Open tradition etc, but wishing for a Slam to be in your country isn't wrong either.

DaMamaJama87
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Apparently, it's not that crazy an idea. There's actually a bit of media coverage about this very thing.

Melbourne's contract to host the AO runs out in 2016 and there are concerns, in Australia, that China will be competing for the event. Whether these concerns are actually valid is another matter though.

It's not a totally outrageous idea. These things aren't set in stone like everyone believes anyway. If the YEC can move around the world, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to move what is considered the least prestigious slam. I know the Aussies will hate me for saying this, but the organizers brought it on themselves by marketing it as the "Asia Pacific Slam." Well the most important countries in the "Asia Pacific" are Japan and China and they can afford to support big events like Grand Slams. The only argument against it is that it's been in Australia so long so it should stay there. But that was from a different time when countries like China were poor and did not have the capacity to host big events and not enough people would show up. Shanghai is going to be more important than Melbourne soon, if it isn't already, and it has already hosted many successful mens YECs so obviously they can do it.

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:48 AM
Li u just shut up

:o didnt know there is no freedom of speech in india too :help:

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
It's not a totally outrageous idea. These things aren't set in stone like everyone believes anyway. If the YEC can move around the world, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to move what is considered the least prestigious slam. I know the Aussies will hate me for saying this, but the organizers brought it on themselves by marketing it as the "Asia Pacific Slam." Well the most important countries in the "Asia Pacific" are Japan and China and they can afford to support big events like Grand Slams. The only argument against it is that it's been in Australia so long so it should stay there. But that was from a different time when countries like China were poor and did not have the capacity to host big events and not enough people would show up. Shanghai is going to be more important than Melbourne soon, if it isn't already, and it has already hosted many successful mens YECs so obviously they can do it.

:yeah: :D

Shoulderpova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Australian Open belongs to Melbourne. Shut the fuck up, greedy China :wavey:

polishprodigy
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
China already has the Olympics this year. That's enough.

Shoulderpova
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
Australian Open belongs to Melbourne. Shut the fuck up, greedy China :wavey:

Ellery
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:00 AM
China already has the Olympics this year. That's enough.

The question is whether there is possibility of China hosting the Slam in perhaps a decade, two decades, not this year.

I personally think the Australian Open is fine as it is in Melbourne and don't really see the need for any change, but there is nothing wrong with China hoping to get it :rolleyes:

switz
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
she was probably just asked "Would you like to see the Australian Open played in China". I doubt she launched an unprovoked tirade on the topic.

Obviously it's a stupid discussion anyway. It's not moving.

Huntress555
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
She should shut up really! Thats such a stupid thing to say, like it'll ever happen. Aus Open belongs in Australia FOREVER!

Utautai
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
what a weird 'article' :speakles:sounds like it's been taken way out of context :shrug:

OsloErik
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
I have a couple points to say about this:

1. Shanghai may have a better climate (temperature-wise) for tennis in January, but until China controls the air pollution in cities, they're not going to get to hold the most money-making tourist sporting event IN THE WORLD (check it out, the Aussie rakes in more money than any other sporting event), and with Henin already saying she may be unable to play in China for the Olympics because of air pollution, I doubt many players are going to support that idea.

2. China may POTENTIALLY have a greater growth market for women's tennis, but there are literally ZERO Chinese men anywhere on the radar screen. None. You can't justify having one of the four largest mixed events if you can't sustain top 20 talent on both sides. Britain is already running into that problem at Wimbledon; the fans rarely come to watch women's tennis because they have no home-grown heroes to root for. If it weren't for larger-than-life characters (Venus, Serena, etc.) at Wimbledon, women's tennis would be extremely far under the radar in Great Britain.

3. This even notwithstanding, the Chinese Tennis Federation (or whatever it's caller) has already demonstrated a deep lack of respect for the standards of competition in tennis. Pulling all your players out of the one of the sport's most historic (and one of the four most important) events is unconscionable, and any nation that would do such a thing absolutely does NOT deserve to hold an event of equal stature.

4. Let's see what China does after Olympics. If they still support women's tennis as fully as they did before, fine. I welcome growth markets. But if not, we'll know what the real goal of tennis in China is.

Just as the Soviet Union learned the hard way, you don't develop champions unless you open the restrictions on competition and let the players compete at the events that matter. China may never understand this, since the obsession with Olympic success is much more deep seeded and China is more economically stable than the USSR was, but until the CTF (is that the acronym?) figures this out, we won't see a great Chinese player.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
everyone is being lured into overreacting to this thread and Na Li's comments. if you actually read the transcript, she's just saying what she likes... she is not demanding it or really even "calling" it.

dylan24
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
i've always disliked na li.
now i hate her even more.
what a dumb bitch.

itzhak
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I say Tel Aviv....why not?

Modiac.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
she was probably just asked "Would you like to see the Australian Open played in China". I doubt she launched an unprovoked tirade on the topic.

That's exactly what happened in media conference.

Think about it with your brains,who would speak ill of Melbourne when she/he is still just there?

She was joking when asked by a journalist,and the original question is "If AO will be moved to China,do you think you can go further and feel better?"

Na answered like "Yeah,Shanghai has better climate and I can save the flight tickets."

So it's a meaningless discussion,and the one who wrote this article obviously wanna cause a fight.:rolleyes:

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Li Na:o very stupid thing to say.

drake3781
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
To me, she is just giving a light-hearted silly answer (see her next similarly light-hearted answer about more time for shopping), and the writer put a really heavy headline to it.

To write that she "Calls For AO to be Moved to Shanghai" based on this light response is :weirdo:.

And many of the reactions here are beyond :weirdo:.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
I can't wait until China loses the communist regime and their retards stop using poor girls like Li Na as mouthpieces for their radical agendas. Poor Li...

woosey
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
I have a couple points to say about this:

1. Shanghai may have a better climate (temperature-wise) for tennis in January, but until China controls the air pollution in cities, they're not going to get to hold the most money-making tourist sporting event IN THE WORLD (check it out, the Aussie rakes in more money than any other sporting event), and with Henin already saying she may be unable to play in China for the Olympics because of air pollution, I doubt many players are going to support that idea.

2. China may POTENTIALLY have a greater growth market for women's tennis, but there are literally ZERO Chinese men anywhere on the radar screen. None. You can't justify having one of the four largest mixed events if you can't sustain top 20 talent on both sides. Britain is already running into that problem at Wimbledon; the fans rarely come to watch women's tennis because they have no home-grown heroes to root for. If it weren't for larger-than-life characters (Venus, Serena, etc.) at Wimbledon, women's tennis would be extremely far under the radar in Great Britain.

3. This even notwithstanding, the Chinese Tennis Federation (or whatever it's caller) has already demonstrated a deep lack of respect for the standards of competition in tennis. Pulling all your players out of the one of the sport's most historic (and one of the four most important) events is unconscionable, and any nation that would do such a thing absolutely does NOT deserve to hold an event of equal stature.

4. Let's see what China does after Olympics. If they still support women's tennis as fully as they did before, fine. I welcome growth markets. But if not, we'll know what the real goal of tennis in China is.

Just as the Soviet Union learned the hard way, you don't develop champions unless you open the restrictions on competition and let the players compete at the events that matter. China may never understand this, since the obsession with Olympic success is much more deep seeded and China is more economically stable than the USSR was, but until the CTF (is that the acronym?) figures this out, we won't see a great Chinese player.

everything he said.

homogenius
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Nice try

mariahdg
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
What a big deal!!!
Now i haven't patience to listen some fart here.
What are some aussie worrying about? Clam down,babes.
Even if aussie send this open to chinese,smart chinese won't accept this.This business will be losing money for sure.
Na is No.1 single in China,but,double is more important for CTA.
National common sports channel never show aussie open.all chinese can receive signal.
Business man want to suicide there is a professional way, open a shop to sell tennis things.
near my house,have 4 tennis courts. every day can see some people play badminton there.:tape:
The one things that aussie worry about the president seems to interest in tennis.:help:

kittyking
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
So if a Chinese reporter had asked her "Hey, what would you think if we were to move a Slam to China" she should have answered "That would be dumb. I really don't like the idea of having a Slam in my country." :rolleyes: Look, for all that we know she could just have been humoring a reporter. Yes, perhaps she could have given a more diplomatic answer about the Australian Open tradition etc, but wishing for a Slam to be in your country isn't wrong either.

If a Chinese reporter asked here that, then a more appropriate answer would have been "No, keep the Grand Slam in Australia but let's have more Tier I tournaments in China'.

Wishing is fine, but calling now thats the retarded part of hers

tenn_ace
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Idiotic statement.

Veritas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM

This is a classic example of how a bigot approaches an issue.

1. Overreact to anything done by someone from a different culture.

2. Generously spread some blanket statements, such as accusing a group of being "androids" and devoid of "personality".

3. And add a spoonful of intolerance by calling for them to "shut up" or be "bitch slapped".

Mix it all together and there you have it - judgment being passed on an entire group.

That's the kind of approach which has obviously been adopted by the sub-intelligent bunch who've commented with similar views in this thread thus far.

Veritas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM

http://mercury.tiser.com.au/nserver/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=1 (http://mercury.tiser.com.au/adclick/SITE=TAUS/AREA=SPORT.TENNIS/AAMSZ=110X40/pageid=1)

The article's irresponsible and misleading.

Na Li said that she'd "like" (i.e. prefer) the tournament to be moved. She's not making any "calls" (i.e. demands) for it to happen. It's a simple statement, yet it's being painted as evidence of the Chinese stepping up in their efforts to poach a Grand Slam.

Honestly, how often do people express a wish and get castrated for it? :rolleyes:

Demska
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Thats almost as bad as Nadal wanting more Slams on clay.

Veritas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM

I can't believe it took 36 posts before the first decent comment was made in this thread.

Goai
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
The article = misleading
WTAWORLD = drama queens

Pasta-Na
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
some posters here are just :o always try to find a way to attact Chinese players... i know i know they beat ur favourites sometimes. in addition, China doesnt have a long long tennis history like urs :devil:

Veritas
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM

SF

She's a tennis player who's competiting in a professional circuit ... which is more than what you have in your favour. Therefore, she'd have a more insight into what goes on in the tennis world.

So what right do you have to tell her to "STFU"?

Ben.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
I think this article is just misleading, I wouldn't really worry too much about it.

renstar
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Shanghai is a polluted dung hole players would only go their to a grand slam cause they had to because of points and prizemoney not because they wanted to, what a stupid thing to say. Sydney and Melbourne also have huge asian/ chinese populations due to very generous immigration policies anyway so in that sense the Australian open is the asia/pacific open anyway

Rik.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Na Li :rolleyes: :o

starin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Who would go buy tickets to watch those matches? most of China's citizens are too impoverished to buy tickets. It's kind of ridiculous...let China have their own slam and see who shows up and takes it seriously.

V.Melb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
You are all so naive and the victim of cunning journalism.

I have never seen such an misleading and stupid article title in my life.

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A BILLIONAIRE. but this won't happen. Na Li was obviously answering a hypothetical question (that is cunningly not included in the article) however, they state 'calls for the' ........ which in English, insinuates a serious decision.

I am surprised u all cannot see this. What a stupid and useless article. u cannot say anything these days.

drake3781
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
You are all so naive and the victim of cunning journalism.

I have never seen such an misleading and stupid article title in my life.

I WOULD LIKE TO BE A BILLIONAIRE. but this won't happen. Na Li was obviously answering a hypothetical question (that is cunningly not included in the article) however, they state 'calls for the' ........ which in English, insinuates a serious decision.

I am surprised u all cannot see this. What a stupid and useless article. u cannot say anything these days.

ITA. :lol:

I say it would be so cool to have a billion dollars. Article title (and hence, thread title)... Drake Calls for Herself to be Made a Billionaire. :lol: :p

Mad hysteria follows. :help: :lol:

CoyZhuang
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
oh god~come on!you guys can`t be serious:o
the fact is,the damm reporter asked li na a question like "have you ever heard about the news that AO might be moved to asia?"
na said,"not yet"
and she said in a tone of joking,
"well,it will be obvious convenient for me if the AO move to shanghai because i don`t have to `in the sky (take a plne)`all the time a~blah~blah~"

and now~~oh great~look at the title~
i will kiss Stepanek if the writer isn`t a drama queen!:fiery:

how could you sweety change your minds about na just because this irresponsible and stupid article!~?:confused:
i mean she is a nice girl:worship:

papru
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
:haha: she is stupid FOR REAL :spit:

mdterp01
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Na...have you been drinking? Or smoking crack?!

Lunaris
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
If they moved a GS to China I would stop following tennis.