PDA

View Full Version : Fan Loyalty; the loss of.

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
What would it take to turn you OFF your fav. player? What would they have to do or say - to lose your loyalty? Cheat and lying during a match maybe? Drug use?

Or can they do no wrong in your eyes?

Just curious.

frenchie
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Doping would be the first reason
I don't understand how players like Karatantcheva still have fans....

Poor fair-play could be another reason
I could't be a fan of Justine or Sharapova

stevos
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
@ frenchie^ We wouldn't want you to be, either. :rolleyes:
Both of your comments are ridiculous. But I'm not going to get into it with someone who would never give an intelligent answer in return.

They'd have to do a lot, really. I'm pretty emotionally invested, and that will last me quite a few years I'm sure. I just don't see Maria doing anything "that" shocking that could possibly cause me to not support her anymore. Forgive and forget, anyway.

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm sure all my favs are charged as hell (Serena!) so I really don't mind about doping.

Actually, if they lose in a constent basis against Mauresmo, I could barely handle it.
But as she's gonna be forced to retire anytime soon, Maria/Venus/Serena can feel relax, I'll love them to death :kiss:

saint2
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
My death? :lol::lol: I never stopped supporting any of my favs. I think I couldnt even If I would want to...

DaMamaJama87
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
I used to support Justine Henin until Roland Garros 2003. Kim was my number 1 but I liked Justine too and I even hoped they both would overcome Venus and Serena at the top. I just couldn't stomach Justine's actions in that tournament amd seeing how Serena handled herself in the whole affair revealed a whole other side of her personality to me. I really like Serena and Venus now along with Kim and nothing Justine can do will make me a fan of hers ever again.

Helen Lawson
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Doping for me would do it for anyone.

I was really irritated with Serena when she started trashing Sharapova publically, like when she told People Magazine that Sharapova was overrated. True perhaps but I think saying that in public is tacky and rude and does not become the champion Serena is. But after a couple of days, I figured Serena is the shit, so I let it slide. But one or two more nasty comments like that, and she's off my list. And truth be known, if they meet in the semifinals and Masha wins, I'll be laughing my ass off where otherwise I'd be pissed. But I'm still a fan. I just think speaking publically and negatively about an opponent is one of the worst things you can do.

miffedmax
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Lena would pretty much have to murder my children for me to stop supporting her.

Actually, given that one of them is a teenager, she might have a legitimate excuse.

saki
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Doping. Or letting her father/anyone else in her camp accuse another player of doping and not publically stepping in to defend them.

Doping really a big deal. Accusing a player of doping is saying that they cheated rather than getting there through their own hard work. A player actually doping is cheating.

I think very young players like Sesil deserve a second chance, though. Not a third but definitely a second.

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Doping would be the first reason
I don't understand how players like Karatantcheva still have fans....

Poor fair-play could be another reason
I could't be a fan of Justine or Sharapova

amen

Karatancheva should have got a lifetime ban
she's a disgrace to tennis

she's still getting doped, just is using more sophisticated stuff

hablo
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
The main one for me would be doping.

Also blatant cheating.

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
amen

Karatancheva should have got a lifetime ban
she's a disgrace to tennis

And you do think Serena drinks the same water as mine? Get real!

hablo
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM

Are you le xiax? :tape:

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM

and you make your insinuations based on what?

Serena has been on the tour for round 10 years and never caught, she cant be accused of anything.
Instead we can easily say that karatancheva is a filthy cheater

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
:):wavey:

and you make your insinuations based on what?

Serena has been on the tour for round 10 years and never caught, she cant be accused of anything.
Instead we can easily say that karatancheva is a filthy cheater

That explains it all.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I love Maria/Venus/Serena, I'm sure they're getting doped. And when you look at Serena's body, you know 'roids are a la mode
But they're not the only ones. Look at Hénin, her arms are still growing at 25:help:

Dave.
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I don't think I would ever stop being a fan of my favourite players. They would have to do some really awful things.

One thing I hate is disrespect to the fans (deliberately missing autographs, telling them to shut up, giving limited interviews etc.)

Yasmine
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
^^amen :worship:

et oui! :lol: il pensait qu'on le reconnaitrait plus avec son nouveau surnom :devil:

imdamoon
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Nothing could ever stop me from loving/supporting Elena :D

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wow. Almost everyone so far is hopelessly devoted to their favs. I hope the players themselves appreciate having this kind of love from their fans. I don't think a few do if i'm honest.

I'd stop supporting Venus, if she made homophobic remarks, (just like i did Alexyss K. Tylor :sobbing: - I still watch her videos though), I doubt she'd dope, she's really classy.

If Amelie or Patty made racist remarks, i'd drop them in a flash. They're pretty nice off court so i doubt that'll happen.

Player character is probably the most important thing for me, so if they do something ignorant + offensive, it's over between us :lol:

rollup
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
You are a fucking idiot.:weirdo:

Only a moron would throw out such false accusations without a shred of proof. Not one of these ladies has EVER failed a drug test so it's extremely unwise to say that you are "sure" they are getting doped because of their physique. Maybe they just work hard enough for more toned silhouettes? Not every athlete is cheating. Some are actually extremely talented and work hard at what they do.

The fact that you would support an athlete you suspect is cheating says more about your character than anyone else's.

God, there are a lot of ignorant people here. :o

Very well said :worship:

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I used to support Justine Henin until Roland Garros 2003. Kim was my number 1 but I liked Justine too and I even hoped they both would overcome Venus and Serena at the top. I just couldn't stomach Justine's actions in that tournament amd seeing how Serena handled herself in the whole affair revealed a whole other side of her personality to me. I really like Serena and Venus now along with Kim and nothing Justine can do will make me a fan of hers ever again.

I'm surprised at how mny people have swept this under the rug since the FO 2003 has not been her only example of 'poor-fair play'. But in her defense, maybe she's changed, and grown out of that kind of thing. She's maybe not so desperate anymore. :shrug:

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:56 PM
You are a fucking idiot.:weirdo:

Only a moron would throw out such false accusations without a shred of proof. Not one of these ladies has EVER failed a drug test so it's extremely unwise to say that you are "sure" they are getting doped because of their physique. Maybe they just work hard enough for more toned silhouettes? Not every athlete is cheating. Some are actually extremely talented and work hard at what they do.

The fact that you would support an athlete you suspect is cheating says more about your character than anyone else's.

God, there are a lot of ignorant people here. :o

No need to be agressive, you can't always be right!:rolleyes:

It's my opinion, and I think it's a good one.

You can "succeed" drug tests and still be charged like a horse. You're probably one of the morons who think FloJo is clear:help: Marion Jones has never been caught to. Your argument is just lame as hell.

To me, every top is using drug. So basically, I don't really have the choice.

And please stop spamming about my life you don't know anything about me. And respect me, I ain't no your bitch.

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
@ frenchie^ We wouldn't want you to be, either. :rolleyes:
Both of your comments are ridiculous. But I'm not going to get into it with someone who would never give an intelligent answer in return.

They'd have to do a lot, really. I'm pretty emotionally invested, and that will last me quite a few years I'm sure. I just don't see Maria doing anything "that" shocking that could possibly cause me to not support her anymore. Forgive and forget, anyway.

That's actually quite cute. :tape: But what has Maria done to deserve this level of loyalty? Her SO CALLED beauty? Style? Or is it an inexplicable attraction?

Olórin
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Doping for me would do it for anyone.

I was really irritated with Serena when she started trashing Sharapova publically, like when she told People Magazine that Sharapova was overrated. True perhaps but I think saying that in public is tacky and rude and does not become the champion Serena is. But after a couple of days, I figured Serena is the shit, so I let it slide.

:lol: :worship:

tbh Im no massive fan of Maria, but I didn't like it when Serena said that. Thing is it may have been slightly tongue in cheek. But she should be more careful. Her saying something like that would never turn me off her, she is the shit afterall ;)

The only thing that could turn me off Serena is if she became a cheater basically. I don't know Serena, but I flatter myself to say I can at least fathom what type of person she is. I know that she would never cheat, and I also know she would never become so obnoxious that it would turn me off her. The same goes for Venus really.

Fan_of_Venus
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know. I think it would take a lot to get me to stop being a fan of Venus.

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
To M~M:

I wasn't accurate enough. I'm not an expert on drugs, I said steroids like I've could have said cocaine.

My point was: they're on drugs.

You say I cannot certify it as they're never got caught. Some utterly famous athletes never got caught but were actually doped (Armstrong, Joyner, Jones, McEnroe as well as far as I know)
Thus it's over, no need to debate about it.

I think it's pretty clear right now. So if, once again, you've got something to add (insults included) go on :).

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
That's actually quite cute. :tape: But what has Maria done to deserve this level of loyalty? Her SO CALLED beauty? Style? Or is it an inexplicable attraction?

:scratch:
I thought you were just curious? Now I see you were fishing for an opportunity to bash someone for showing devotion to Maria. I think you're reading too much into this, and really what you say in response to my post is incredibly ignorant. Why do you think it has to do with her beauty? Do you say this to any Justine fan? Or Williams fan? Or Davenport fan? Because I'm pretty sure most of them have already posted in this thread, so why not attack their reasoning. You're pathetic.

But just for the sake of argument, I'll explain myself. And quit using your fucking condescending stuff, saying it's "cute". I said I was emotionally invested, saying that I have been following all her matches for the past few years, have gone through ups and downs (as would any sports fan) and I feel I understand her enough to realize that she doesn't have any major skeletons in her closet that would cause me to stop supporting her. It's ridiculous how you took one little line from my whole post, ugh forget it. And yes, I do think she's beautiful and stylish, but that is such a small part of my attraction to her as a tennis player.

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
If they had sex with Carson Daly, Ryan Seacrest or any male member of the Russian Tennis Federation over the age of 55... :devil:

...they can't be one of my faves. :hehehe:

fangoria
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Like other said, i used to be a big fan of Hénin's game... But her bad attitude on-court irritated me so much i just can't appreciate her talent anymore.

I thought Mary Pierce's attitude was funny... after a while, i found it unbearable!

Wayn77
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
On-Court

- doping
- insincerity
- surrender/no fight when behind
- bad sportsmanship

Off-Court

- disrespectful to fans
- overtly right-wing
- any racist or homophobic bullshit
- a fan of Britney Spears
- engaged to Radek Stepanek

Bruno71
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
On-Court

- doping
- insincerity
- surrender/no fight when behind
- bad sportsmanship

Off-Court

- disrespectful to fans
- overtly right-wing
- any racist or homophobic bullshit

I'm worried about this one for Jelena :scared:

Wayn77
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM

her last album was fairly respectable :angel: :lol:

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
:scratch:
I thought you were just curious? Now I see you were fishing for an opportunity to bash someone for showing devotion to Maria. I think you're reading too much into this, and really what you say in response to my post is incredibly ignorant. Why do you think it has to do with her beauty? Do you say this to any Justine fan? Or Williams fan? Or Davenport fan? Because I'm pretty sure most of them have already posted in this thread, so why not attack their reasoning. You're pathetic.

But just for the sake of argument, I'll explain myself. And quit using your fucking condescending stuff, saying it's "cute". I said I was emotionally invested, saying that I have been following all her matches for the past few years, have gone through ups and downs (as would any sports fan) and I feel I understand her enough to realize that she doesn't have any major skeletons in her closet that would cause me to stop supporting her. It's ridiculous how you took one little line from my whole post, ugh forget it. And yes, I do think she's beautiful and stylish, but that is such a small part of my attraction to her as a tennis player.

:spit: :speakles: :tape:

Incredible. Is it an involuntary response from Maria fans to assume everything i do or say is an attempt to bash her. You can do a search of my recent posts - you won't find anything negative about Maria. I'm indifferent to her. Neither like or dislike anymore. You could say there are bigger fish to fry :D

I picked you out by chance, you were the first poster to mention some kind of hopeless devotion to your fav - so i was JUST CURIOUS as to how it develops. I used Beauty and Style as buzz words because lets face it, over half the Maria fans i've come across in this forum - refer to her beauty and style frequently as her strengths - it's not completley unreasonable to assume these play a role in their becoming fans in the first place - nothing ignorant in that.

And for the record, i didn't mean CUTE like, in a condenscending/baby-ish way. I just thought 'that's cute' in a romantic kind of way when you said you had a large 'emotional investment' into Maria or being her fan. I'm sorry but i think that's cute, and if you think that's condenscending - i don't give a damn! If you were sitting near me, i'd be pinching your cheeks and everything. :lol: But i can accept that you didn't mean it like i interpreted it - it was just a cute thing to read. My interpretation was like; 'I love her so much, she could do no wrong' - i think that's cute.

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Lose.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Off-Court

:spit:

:haha:

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
:spit: :speakles: :tape:

Incredible. Is it an involuntary response from Maria fans to assume everything i do or say is an attempt to bash her. You can do a search of my recent posts - you won't find anything negative about Maria. I'm indifferent to her. Neither like or dislike anymore. You could say there are bigger fish to fry :D

I picked you out by chance, you were the first poster to mention some kind of hopeless devotion to your fav - so i was JUST CURIOUS as to how it develops. I used Beauty and Style as buzz words because lets face it, over half the Maria fans i've come across in this forum - refer to her beauty and style frequently as her strengths - it's not completley unreasonable to assume these play a role in their becoming fans in the first place - nothing ignorant in that.

And for the record, i didn't mean CUTE like, in a condenscending/baby-ish way. I just thought 'that's cute' in a romantic kind of way when you said you had a large 'emotional investment' into Maria or being her fan. I'm sorry but i think that's cute, and if you think that's condenscending - i don't give a damn! If you were sitting near me, i'd be pinching your cheeks and everything. :lol: But i can accept that you didn't mean it like i interpreted it - it was just a cute thing to read. My interpretation was like; 'I love her so much, she could do no wrong' - i think that's cute.

Well, you have to realize how it seems when many posters are speaking of their devotion to their faves, and you come out and jump to the conclusion that it's for superficial reasons. And I don't really appreciate that, as I've definitely seen you bash Maria more than once.

And the pinching cheeks thing, still kind of condescending by the way. ;)
And Maria does have many fans who love her for her fighting spirit, tenacity, game (I know I do, even if some call it one-dimensional), and the style and beauty portion are just icing on the cake.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Doping...

sorceress
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hmm yeah I would say doping,being openly homophobic and racist.
Of course one could say Martina was under some those subtitles lol,but I grew up watching Martina so it's kind of an unconditional love.

But the others I stand by and I really don't like people who treat their fans like crap.

As for the people saying Justine,Serena etc are on drugs,LOL do me a favour and have a look at some female body builders.
I mean,it's laughable that Justine would be on anything,the only part of her body that is big is her quads(thighs),which women naturally can bulk up.
As for Serena,well,she's always been built like that,so that would mean she'd have been taking stuff since she was a teenager which is,dire.

Learn a little about female anatomy and strength training.

RenaGOAT
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
If I saw them in a German sheizer film... or anything close... kinda hard to get behind a girl you've seen do something like that.